Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marv's 3.6 GT project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PRS914-6
Yep, I agree with the use of a extra filter with a race car. Not too many 6's blow on the street though. The oil comes out of the engine on the right side and depending on your cooler, your lines may exit on the right side as well. Personally, I like the thermostat as close to the engine discharge point as possible to quickly respond to engine temps, so I mounted the thermostat there. I just feel it responds better there. Maybe I worry too much. idea.gif

Mounting it up front works for a race car since they rarely do stop and go driving and are open most of the time. It is for sure easier to mount the thermostat up front and avoid additional plumbing in the back.

Bottom line is there are 50 different ways to plumb them depending on the use and the hardware used. I only suggest considering the application and hardware before using a generic picture. The picture gives a great overview of the theory. There is nothing wrong with the pic, but there just might be better alternatives depending on the application and was the point I was trying to make.......
Marv's3.6six
Buh-ling Bling! Wheels are done, Thanks Al Reed. HRE311's centers powdercoated cosmic grey & lips polished! biggrin.gif Looks wicked!
Lou W
OOOOOHHHHH, Those are beautiful drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif
Marv's3.6six
OOOOOHHHHH, Those are beautiful
Thanks Lou!

Hey check this out, I woke up to find my neighbor, a 3' tall Heron, standing on my back fence! biggrin.gif
jgara962
QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Oct 7 2006, 08:44 AM) *

Thanks Lou!

Hey check this out, I woke up to find my neighbor, a 3' tall Heron, standing on my back fence! biggrin.gif

Lucky you. Every once in a while I look out my window to see a heron standing on the edge of my pond...watching my koi. mad.gif

Haven't seen it in a while though. I think something may have happened to him ar15.gif confused24.gif
Marv's3.6six
rolleyes.gif She's a roller, kindof.......what you guys think? Still a long way 2 go.
jim912928
way cool!
TravisNeff
That is looking great Marv!
So.Cal.914
It's going to sit sooo nice. Really coming out great.

Who did you get your fuel cell from?
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Oct 19 2006, 11:29 PM) *

It's going to sit sooo nice. Really coming out great.

Who did you get your fuel cell from?
Jim Patrick - Patrick Motorsports.
Eric_Shea
Hey check this out, I woke up to find my neighbor, a 3' tall Heron, standing on my back fence!

OK, OK... we all officially hate you biggrin.gif

Your car sucks and so does your view. I'll bet you married a troll as well lol3.gif

Marv, all in jest of course. Looking great. smilie_pokal.gif

I can't wait until this thing is fired up.
db9146
Really cool....just add some wheelie bars!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

just kidding....really looks nice. Wow.
maf914
The photo above of the front wheel reminds me of a funny car front end, the body is so low over the tire. idea.gif

I think your car looks great. This thread has been really enjoyable. More photos, please. laugh.gif
bernbomb914
marv that view looks to be from Bear Creek. very nice place the car looks very nice.

Bernie
JPB
Sweet rid Clid. Please post it on jackstands just to simmer down the envy factor please?

beer.gif
Marv's3.6six
I can't wait until this thing is fired up.
You, can't!!!! I am trying to be patient, probably be next spring B 4 completed.
Really cool....just add some wheelie bars!!! & The photo above of the front wheel reminds me of a funny car front end, the body is so low over the tire.
Yeah, it looks wicked in person, drooley.gif but really there are no torsen bars in the front suspension right now. I am probably gonna run it pretty low.
marv that view looks to be from Bear Creek
Bernie Yes Bear Creek, love it.
Sweet rid Clid. Please post it on jackstands just to simmer down the envy factor please?
Sorry no jackstands, its been living on a "lift" since March.
lybones
QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Oct 19 2006, 07:15 PM) *

rolleyes.gif She's a roller, kindof.......what you guys think? Still a long way 2 go.

Great work and progress!! I'm loving it. aktion035.gif
ferlutt
Hey what size of brakes do you have?? i was looking to upgrade mine with some nice brembos but i dont know what size will fit, i have 15 inch fuchs, what size are yours and how big are the discs??

Nice car by the way!!! its looking great

QUOTE(jgara962 @ Oct 7 2006, 12:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Oct 7 2006, 08:44 AM) *

Thanks Lou!

Lucky you. Every once in a while I look out my window to see a heron standing on the edge of my pond...watching my koi. mad.gif

Haven't seen it in a while though. I think something may have happened to him ar15.gif confused24.gif

Marv's3.6six
Hey what size of brakes do you have?? i was looking to upgrade mine with some nice brembos but i dont know what size will fit, i have 15 inch fuchs, what size are yours and how big are the discs??
Data from Rennsportsystems: Brembo GTP Lightweight - 2 Piece Brembo Racing vented and cross-drilled or slotted 12.3" (313mmx28mm) rotor with Brembo Racing lightweight billet aluminum hats. These rotors are true "floating" rotors using Brembo’s Racing derived technology that allows extreme performance with very low weight and reduced rotating mass. Will work with 16" Fuchs.

iamchappy
What size are your rims and tires and there offset.
Marv's3.6six
What size are your rims and tires and there offset.

Rims are front 8X17 don't recall offset/backspace, Rear 9X17 15.4mm backspace. These were made for early 911 so offset/backspace should be similar to Kinesis or BBS for early car. Tires are Bridgstone front S-03 215/45/YR17 rear 245/40/YR17 These wheels are NLA as the hoops were discontinued a couple years ago. The cool thing is they are direct bolt up no spacers needed!
iamchappy
Thanks, I will keep my eyes open for simular. The Linsey or Mirage fuch wheels are another option Im looking at.
Marv's3.6six
First work on the project in quite a while. I got recharged after Ron & Glens windy swapmeet last Sunday. There are so many cool people in this (914)world, I am stoked to be a part of this community.

Two almost perfect turn sig housings made into one perfect one, thanks Hershel.
Click to view attachment
Marv's3.6six
Finished rear turn sigs complete & installed.
jonferns
keep the pics coming!
Lou W
Hi Marv, glad to see that you are back at it. Keep the pictures coming. smile.gif
Aaron Cox
haha marv! yeah buddy! get on that car!!!

Good seein you again man.
Now finish your damn car!

Eric_Ciampa
Where did you pick up those bumpers? I believe you said that they were FG? I was looking for the source the other day but turned up nothing.
Marv's3.6six
Thanks for the comments guys. Lou you missed a good time at R&G swapmeet.

Eric...r/e bumpers: the rear one was on the car when I bought it I donot know from where it came. The front one is my own, I have (own) the mold for it. No plans to make them commercially.

Here is something you don't see every day..............a real GT headlight kit, Armando Serrano and I got together and bought them from Germany earlier this year. I plan to be installing soon.
Aaron Cox
that is quite... INTENSE marv smile.gif
Marv's3.6six
Here is some fabrication from earlier this week. Modified oil cooler mounting bracket, orig bracket was hack. Fabricated some more block offs from carbon/kevlar sheet. biggrin.gif a good week for my teener.

Eric_Ciampa
Thanks for the info. Keep on updating your thread. I (and I am sure many others) are living vicariously through your project b/c I know I will never have the time (or $) to go through my 914 the way you are. At this point this thread is more like art than anything else.
rfuerst911sc
Beautiful work. Are there any pics of the oil lines transitioning from the rear of the long into the engine bay? I'm assuming this takes place in front of the oil tank? I'm doing a /6 conversion and I'm having trouble visualizing this transition and a pic or two would be great.
Martin Baker
Marv, Here are your signals. I have the gasket you needed, I cleaned an extra up, looks like new. I've sent an e-mail your way as well.

Martin
So.Cal.914
Glad to see you back at it, your build thread was one I could not put down.

Marv's3.6six
pic 1 Todays fabrication. Aluminum grill for oil cooler exit air flow, this was more complicated than than it looks.

pic 2 Carbon kevlar block offs installed. smile.gif

pic 3 NHS (North Hollywood Speedo) beautiful art work. The thought behind this was to have the needle straight up and down when at red line . Looks sick! They also made me a great combo gauge with oil temp, oil pressure, and fuel biggrin.gif
iamchappy
Very Cool!
Root_Werks
Sweet! It's been a while since I have checked up on this thread. The car is looking great!
Lou W
Very nice. beerchug.gif
Marv's3.6six
Back to paint shop Saturday 12/15. Been waiting since the last summer for an opening. Doors get completely re-worked gaps get addressed. New front FG bumper gets paint. Some new touch up for welded brackets for 914 GT headlight openers.
Ferg
icon_bump.gif confused24.gif

Ferg beerchug.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE(Ferg @ May 20 2008, 10:47 AM) *

Ferg beerchug.gif

agree.gif what Ferg said!
6freak
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Jul 28 2008, 04:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ May 20 2008, 10:47 AM) *

Ferg beerchug.gif

agree.gif what Ferg said!

Nice work ..nice color ..nice car ..smilie_pokal.gif
Aaron Cox
marv,

keep on it smile.gif You know your gonna love it in the end!
Rod
Just spent a really enjoyable hour reading through this thread. Wow, what amazing work! Very impressive, surely progress has beenn made in the last year or so blink.gif Such a shame it stopped so abruptly....

That will so be worth it. driving-girl.gif
Solo914

icon_bump.gif For one of my favorite threads biggrin.gif

Can't wait to see this car done driving.gif

db9146
Anyone know what happened to Marv?
carr914
I just went through this thread for the first time ( a lot of good pointers for me), but no Happy Ending confused24.gif

T.C.
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 4 2010, 07:22 AM) *

I just went through this thread for the first time ( a lot of good pointers for me), but no Happy Ending confused24.gif

T.C.

Not ending yet! Ok.. Got my fires stoked to get back on this. I have no time to do this project, but have been talking recently to Jim Patrick about PMS finishing the car for me. I am sure that he could finish this in his sleep, its so close. I just got to get everything boxed up and moving towards AZ, got to find a car hauler that will move a roller and pallets of shit. Wish me luck.
effutuo101
Very nice Marv! I can't wait to see some video!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.