Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marv's 3.6 GT project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Marv's3.6six
My baby on her way to Precision Motion for the fun to begin. Engine and trans fitment to body begins next. I have waited so so long for this. biggrin.gif
stuttgart46
I don't think I could sleep until I got it back.
Such a great looking car.
TravisNeff
SO HAVE WE! smile.gif

QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Mar 14 2012, 10:17 PM) *

I have waited so so long for this. biggrin.gif

Marv's3.6six
I spent quite a while yesterday with Don from PMP. We discussed many aspects of the car.

One thing I am considering is running some beautiful 16" 930 Fuchs I have had for a long time instead of the 17" HRE that are on the car. I am thinking the 16's will look more period correct to the car with 50 and 55 series sidewall versus the super skinny on the car now??

Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Mar 15 2012, 03:37 PM) *

I spent quite a while yesterday with Don from PMP. We discussed many aspects of the car.

One thing I am considering is running some beautiful 16" 930 Fuchs I have had for a long time instead of the 17" HRE that are on the car. I am thinking the 16's will look more period correct to the car with 50 and 55 series sidewall versus the super skinny on the car now??

Ok I have found out the offset on 930 fuchs are a no go, the wheels do not fit under the rear flares... time to ebay the fuchs.
Marv's3.6six
Progress...... Patrick Motorsports front engine mount being welded in. The stock 6 front mount would be tortured with all the torque from the 3.6, ....had to go for the big guns. biggrin.gif
PRS914-6
I have the 9" 930 wheels on mine and they fit fine. What if you trimmed or rolled the lip on the flare? You could gain 1/2 inch or so.
Marv's3.6six
Wevo semi solid rear mounts. biggrin.gif
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Apr 14 2012, 08:23 AM) *

I have the 9" 930 wheels on mine and they fit fine. What if you trimmed or rolled the lip on the flare? You could gain 1/2 inch or so.

Lips are rolled but would require some more work. At this point the 17's will be the way I will go, much more tire choices anyway... and the gear ratios I worked out with Jim Patrick on the trans are matched to my tire choice. And lastly I don't have the extra coin as it is being consumed on the project.
Marv's3.6six
And here she is fresh as a daisy ready to go. She is a ROW 993 3.6 with RS cams, Patrick lightweight flywheel, RS Eng. match flowed fuel injectors, new valve guides, new racing valve job, new fly cut heads...... all ready to run the snot out of. Can't wait. evilgrin.gif
Marv's3.6six
Last photo of the day. Here is my front valence/spoiler... On the left side is new 5mm alum black ano button head screws on the right the stainless hardware... the black ano looks sooooo much better. biggrin.gif
QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Apr 14 2012, 09:14 AM) *

And here she is fresh as a daisy ready to go. She is a ROW 993 3.6 with RS cams, Patrick lightweight flywheel, RS Eng. match flowed fuel injectors, new valve guides, new racing valve job, new fly cut heads...... all ready to run the snot out of. Can't wait. evilgrin.gif

Motor looks 'clean'.. congrats on your progress piratenanner.gif
jim dorociak
Your wheels might look much more time period correct if only the outer rims were clear anodized instead of high polish. Here is a picture of the last set of 3 piece 17" fuchs I restored. jdorociak@gmail.com JimClick to view attachment
jim dorociak
If I were to restore a set again I would use black bolts so they would disappear. jim
PRS914-6
Just an FYI.....I started off with a Patrick crank pulley. It was the only single 993 pulley I was aware of at the time of my build and I didn't like it's smaller diameter and resulting slower fan and alternator speed. I later learned that the 993 RS had a single pulley system and the diameter was the right size. As you already know, every 3.6 needs a valve job and I believe it is because of the high heat generated by these engines and the smaller pulley is just an invitation to aggravate valve guide wear for little HP gain.

I have just installed the RS pulley in preparation of this summer.

Anyway, I only mention this in case you weren't aware of the availability of the larger Porsche pulley.

Click to view attachment
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Apr 14 2012, 09:26 PM) *

Just an FYI.....I started off with a Patrick crank pulley. It was the only single 993 pulley I was aware of at the time of my build and I didn't like it's smaller diameter and resulting slower fan and alternator speed. I later learned that the 993 RS had a single pulley system and the diameter was the right size. As you already know, every 3.6 needs a valve job and I believe it is because of the high heat generated by these engines and the smaller pulley is just an invitation to aggravate valve guide wear for little HP gain.

I have just installed the RS pulley in preparation of this summer.

Anyway, I only mention this in case you weren't aware of the availability of the larger Porsche pulley.

Click to view attachment

Great info... where would one source this?

Thanks
PRS914-6
QUOTE(396 @ Apr 15 2012, 06:09 AM) *

Thanks

Porsche dealer. I bought mine 2 years ago for the same price as a Patrick pulley (now for sale) but the price has gone up some. You won't want to pay retail. Sunset Imports (Excellence readers discount) or similar can get it for you.
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Apr 15 2012, 07:18 AM) *

Thanks

Porsche dealer. I bought mine 2 years ago for the same price as a Patrick pulley (now for sale) but the price has gone up some. You won't want to pay retail. Sunset Imports (Excellence readers discount) or similar can get it for you.

Thanks for the fast reply / info
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(396 @ Apr 15 2012, 07:23 AM) *

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Apr 15 2012, 07:18 AM) *

Thanks

Thanks for the fast reply / info

Interesting info I will check into it. But here is my uneducated thoughts on the issue. The valve guide issue with 993 is well documented and IMO is primarily because of soft valve guide material. Under driving the fan and alternator is probably not an issue on our cars as the cooling is most likely sufficient because most 914's do not have another 1000lbs of mass to push around, do not have air conditioning plus other parasitic devices and creature comforts all of which the 993 has. Additionally the alternator in a 914 application does not have to power all the electronic gizmos the 993 has, so it is less critical to spin the alternator at a higher speeds to keep the voltage and amperage high.
Marv's3.6six
Front suspension completed and tight. check.

Brake work done. Hard lines, T's, Braided lines all finished. Brembo GTPLW brake system completed and ready to roll. check.
Marv's3.6six
Engine and trans test fit. Looks good. Fit good. Getting closer. There is much more work to be done. Install throttle cable assembly etc. Fab a false bulkhead for the battery and 993 ECU wiring loom. I also did not like how the painted intakes turned out so I am redoing those.
Marv's3.6six
Customized Porsche gauges installed. North Hollywood Speedo makes incredible stuff. check.
Elliot Cannon
That's a really great car Marv. Whos is it? lol-2.gif
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 19 2012, 03:32 PM) *

That's a really great car Marv. Whos is it? lol-2.gif

agree.gif

Marv's3.6six
New windshield installed. check.
This is the second windhield I have bought for this project. The first one was purchased in 2005 by my (not any more) friend Tom, we wrapped it up in blankets and stored it for future installation. Well Don from PMP went to install it and he discovered that it was a mercedes windshield! Tom f***ed me again! Anyway new windshield yay.
euro911
Looking good. Interesting oil tank ... who makes those?

Click to view attachment
Krieger
smilie_pokal.gif WOW
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 20 2012, 11:20 AM) *

Looking good. Interesting oil tank ... who makes those?

It's an original 6 all factory parts.
Qarl
Looking good! smile.gif
Cairo94507
I am loving this car....except for the wheels thus far (sorry). That aside, this is a terrific build and car.
euro911
Maybe it's the angle, lighting or shadowing in the shot - it looked like an external tank sitting in the engine bay confused24.gif ... Just my old eyes playing tricks on me shades.gif
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 20 2012, 07:13 PM) *

I am loving this car....except for the wheels thus far (sorry). That aside, this is a terrific build and car.

The wheels look much better in person. But yeah I kind of agree and have been thinking about refinishing the "polished" look to an "RSR" finish. My brother thinks they look great as is but I am considering change. I also have a beautiful set of 16" 930 fuchs, but have been recently told they won't fit over the brembo's. sad.gif The new 17" fuchs look wheels (Rota Fox) are beautiful but I also hear they are quite heavy. Decisions. confused24.gif
Cairo94507
RSR finish......love it.
Mr.242
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 20 2012, 07:49 PM) *

Maybe it's the angle, lighting or shadowing in the shot - it looked like an external tank sitting in the engine bay confused24.gif ... Just my old eyes playing tricks on me shades.gif

I thought the same too. It because the relay board isn't mounted and in the way wacko.gif

GREAT CAR!
tavoman27
QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ May 20 2012, 10:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 20 2012, 07:13 PM) *

The wheels look much better in person. But yeah I kind of agree and have been thinking about refinishing the "polished" look to an "RSR" finish. My brother thinks they look great as is but I am considering change. I also have a beautiful set of 16" 930 fuchs, but have been recently told they won't fit over the brembo's. sad.gif The new 17" fuchs look wheels (Rota Fox) are beautiful but I also hear they are quite heavy. Decisions. confused24.gif

Hi Marv... my 914 just got back from upholstery and its all new with the rs door panels you wanted to see... Car is at PMP and I will be working on it today.
Gus
Marv's3.6six
8/10 The car as it looks today. Is all covered up for fabrication of custom roll bar.

Roll bar is a quasi replica of the factory 914-6 GT roll bar. Note that the bar is recessed back into the body and is well out of the way from a collision with my nugget. Roll bar fab by Don from PMP. very nice work, very.
Marv's3.6six
Up close shot of roll bar a tight fit. blink.gif
Marv's3.6six
Battery now mounted next to the engine near factory location.
Marv's3.6six
New braided stainless fuel lines. biggrin.gif
Mike Bellis
Make sure you can get the back glass in. Looks like a PITA with butyl rubber...
mepstein
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Aug 11 2012, 10:41 AM) *

Make sure you can get the back glass in. Looks like a PITA with butyl rubber...

Looks like a bolt in bar.
nine9three
icon_bump.gif
Marv's3.6six
OK its time to post up recent work on my GT... I know its been a while so here are some pics.

1) New custom made (by Don) long wheel studs
2) Front suspension near completion
3) New high torque starter and with rebuilt CV's and freshly painted axles.
4) Beauty shot of headers & valve covers
5) pic of installed muffler & 2 beautiful 356's (The black one has a six stuffed in it)
Marv's3.6six
Pics
1) Front suspension with sway bar completed. Drop spindle struts with decambered ball joints turbo tie rods bump steer kit. Sexy looking.

2) Another view of the muffler customized bracketry work and ceramic coated
3) Lower baffle for oil cooler
4) Pedal cluster installed and fine tuned.
5) Baffle shot
Marv's3.6six
1) Recaro drivers seat installed. Lower rear seat mounting brackets modified rewelded to tub and seat lowered.
2) 930 steering rack completed
3) Porsche factory fuel filter installed
4) Patrick motorsports super beefy front engine mount completed
5) Clutch cable system installed and tuned
6) Oil lines completed and pressure tested
Cairo94507
Now that is the way I like to start my day. Your car is looking beautiful. Very nice work
Elliot Cannon
I think we all know that isn't Marvs car. av-943.gif Nice try Marv. happy11.gif av-943.gif
euro911
Nice looking stuff smile.gif
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Feb 9 2013, 04:57 PM) *

I think we all know that isn't Marvs car. av-943.gif Nice try Marv. happy11.gif av-943.gif

Photoshop virtual car. blink.gif L E OT
Krieger
Very nice! Are you going to put it on the track?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.