Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marv's 3.6 GT project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
MoveQik
QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Apr 30 2010, 03:24 PM) *

Not ending yet! Ok.. Got my fires stoked to get back on this. I have no time to do this project, but have been talking recently to Jim Patrick about PMS finishing the car for me. I am sure that he could finish this in his sleep, its so close. I just got to get everything boxed up and moving towards AZ, got to find a car hauler that will move a roller and pallets of shit. Wish me luck.

You should let Jim finish it for you. I'll even offer to pick it and store it for you until you can come get it. Or maybe I could just drive back for you. happy11.gif
Elliot Cannon
Hi Marv. Missed you at the G&R. I think you should buy this one and save yourself some trouble. lol-2.gif
Ferg
I would have finished it for nothing, but I take a year and 5,000 miles just to make sure I have all the bugs worked out shades.gif
EdArango
So what is the latest on this rebuild???
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(EdArango @ Aug 8 2010, 11:47 AM) *

The latest is nothing new, do you guys have any suggestions on how to motivate a mechanic that will not work on my car or prepare a final invoice for work done? sad.gif
Lou W
QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Feb 24 2011, 10:44 PM) *

QUOTE(EdArango @ Aug 8 2010, 11:47 AM) *

The latest is nothing new, do you guys have any suggestions on how to motivate a mechanic that will not work on my car or prepare a final invoice for work done? sad.gif

Ya, show up with a trailer. smile.gif
gothspeed
Awesome smile.gif!!!
db9146
confused24.gif

Nevermind.................... blink.gif wacko.gif
mepstein
reading his thread, I don't think it's at PMS.
Twise
http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/

The California - Bureau Of Automotive Repair can usually get the results you are looking for. Am I to understand that you do not have a signed repair order for the work done so far? Is it still in Temecula?

Jim put my motor in, and I was very happy with the work done. He also called me everytime there was an additional charge required.
laflaur
yeah, explain how bad publicity affects business!
Series9
I will pay for shipping to Series 9 so that I may complete this beautiful car.

I have 3.6 experience.

Give me the address of the "mechanic" and I'll send the carrier.

MoveQik
QUOTE(Series9 @ Feb 25 2011, 08:08 PM) *

I have 3.6 experience.

God that's a sweet offer. Hell, I would send mine there to have you upgrade the 3.2 you did for me! biggrin.gif
nsr-jamie
Marvelous Marv!! Love this thread. It was great to read all the pages with progress day by day in 2006, now it 2011...I hope you get re-inspired and are able to get some work done on the car. Honestly it looks pretty much close to completion, just a little more work and I think you are done. Everybody is looking forward to seeing you complete the car. I hope you are able to do it and wish you all the best
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(Series9 @ Feb 25 2011, 07:08 PM) *

I have 3.6 experience.

Jeez Joe thats a great offer. I remember watching your 3.6 build when you were still in CO. Your work is very nice. My issue is that the car is in pieces all over this guys shop, I can't just pick it up. This guy is a master mechanic but is also somewhat a non finisher he has several projectcars of his own that are all about 50% complete.... in fact he is lovingly called 50% T*m. My car was supposed to be a project we worked on on evenings and weekends, it started out like that but he lost interest at various points in time, you can see this by all the starts and stops on this thread. I will also take some blame for this as I have been busy with my business. But I have asked him several times over the last couple years to prepare an invoice for his work. Originally I was going to trade a high end mountain bike for his services but that is no longer. The custom trans that was built by Jim Patrick was a bike deal like that. I would just like to get the car out of there but donot want to have bad blood as he is somewhat of a friend. sad.gif
DrifterJay
Screw bad blood, how long has the car been there? Half a decade? What a fucking joke, think about it. Threaten to move the car; schedule a uhaul trailer and truck for all the parts. If that doesn't light a fire under his ass, then pull your car out. chair.gif
Series9
QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Feb 26 2011, 11:49 AM) *

QUOTE(Series9 @ Feb 25 2011, 07:08 PM) *

I will pay for shipping to Series 9.

Jeez Joe thats a great offer.

It's a standing offer. I'll pay shipping to Florida and charge you a fair price to take the project to completion.

You can fly out, and we can take the two 3.6s out to the track at Daytona and watch some racing.

If you're the adventurous type, drive it home to CA. Otherwise, fly home and ship the car.

I'm known for my ability to get things done. No BS.

beerchug.gif
mepstein
Reading through the thread, it looks like the longs are bowed due to a reinforcement that was overdone. Maybe that is what is holding up the build.
Rand
QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Feb 26 2011, 08:49 AM) *

I would just like to get the car out of there but donot want to have bad blood as he is somewhat of a friend. sad.gif

You are a man of amazing patience. After over five years, I'd say it's time to move it on and he has no right to feel bad blood over you wanting to take it somewhere else to get it finished. You certainly can't just leave it with him because you fear upsetting him. It's way past that point.
socalstuttgart
I'll I have to say is don't give up and contact me if you need some encouragement.
gothspeed
I had a problem like that but it only took 6 months of non work, for me to start picking up the stray parts 'first' so that nothing gets left behind ........... then went over there and had triple A to tow the car outa there. We are still friends after all that but now he gets my work done quicker wink.gif.

So go over there and start segregating parts that you know are yours and putting them in totes ....... and bring them home ...... if anyone asks why you are taking your parts ....... tell them they are yours and need to be worked on .......

5 years is waaaaaaaaaaaaay tooooooo long for anyone to get 'upset' at you ............... pay what ever you legitimately owe and get your teener outa there ......... if anyone gives you any serious problems ........ bring the title to the car and the cops ............. smash.gif
Solo914
icon_bump.gif
Alright Marv,
I guess I will give my favorite thread its yearly bump. I hope you eventually find a way to motivate your mechanic or atleast get it out of there. This car is to awesome to not see finished. 2012 is only 3 months away!!!! driving-girl.gif
Kyle
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(Solo914 @ Oct 3 2011, 08:20 PM) *

icon_bump.gif
Alright Marv,
I guess I will give my favorite thread its yearly bump. I hope you eventually find a way to motivate your mechanic or atleast get it out of there. This car is to awesome to not see finished. 2012 is only 3 months away!!!! driving-girl.gif
Kyle

So Kyle thanks for the bump. As it is now I do have the car and it cost me a fair sum of money plus attorneys were involved (need I say more)......but alas the car is not complete, nor do I have the money now to finish it. Maybe 2012. sad.gif
Elliot Cannon
Come to the G&R Marv. Be good to see you again.
Cheers, Elliot
Solo914
Marv,
Its good to hear that you atleast have it again. What's left on the to-do list? From the pictures the car looks close to being ready to assemble. California build party?

Kyle
Marv's3.6six
Well folks it has certainly been a while since there was work done... I am glad to announce I finally have forward progress. yay. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

After a lot of searching I found who I consider one of the best in my region to finish my car. Don Kravig of Precision Motion Porsche. Don is a master porsche mechanic has decades of aircooled flat six AND much 914 race car building experience. Don has had my 993 engine for several weeks and has been prepping it for the car. Upon inspection of the exhaust valve guides it was decided to pull the heads and have at it. While we are in there we will add some performance mods.... I will post up some pics soon of the trick ass work being done. drooley.gif
SirAndy
first.gif
MDG
Excellent news! I can't wait to see the progress. Congrats on the restart of this project.
RiqueMar
Great news!

This is probably the progress thread that I always wanted to see finished!

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
db9146
Glad to see you moving on it again Marv......its going to be a beautiful -6!!!!
JoeSharp
This is Soooo good to hear!!!!
Marv's3.6six
95 3.6 with heads removed. Inspection of cylinders, ring gap, big end of rods....check, check, check all good, all seals good, engine appears to be as advertised a low mileage 993 engine in excellent shape. smile.gif
Marv's3.6six
New goodies. freshening up gaskets n seals.
Marv's3.6six
New exhaust valve guides, 3 angle racing cut valve job, cylinder head milled a few thou to increase compression.... all good stuff. smile.gif
Ferg
aktion035.gif Sooo happy to see this thread again biggrin.gif
Marv's3.6six
3 angle valve grind and head work up close.
Marv's3.6six
Awesome looking head, you can see that .010 has been shaved off to increase compression ratio. biggrin.gif
Marv's3.6six
Incredible 904 replica at Precision Motion Porsche. biggrin.gif
Marv's3.6six
This SC is a car that Don from PMP built some time ago..... 2400lbs with a 97 Varioram engine, RS cams.... with a G50 and coil overs all around.... I was given a ride in this baby.... Holy Schnikes it is insanely quick and very well sorted.
Madswede
Those engine pics are effin' gorgeous! drooley.gif

Congrats on restarting the build (again)!
Marv's3.6six
biggrin.gif More progress. Completed heads being assembled on to cylinders.
Congrats on the forward momentum
Marv's3.6six
Today the new RS cams were installed and timed. Intake and fuel injection system assembly began. sorry no pics. idea.gif
Marv's3.6six
Gave her a little bath today, first time I have washed it since 2005. If all go's well the engine and trans install will begin in the next couple weeks. blink.gif
stuttgart46
Congrats.
That is a great looking car you got there.
Ferg
wub.gif
rnellums
QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Mar 5 2012, 12:23 AM) *

Gave her a little bath today, first time I have washed it since 2005. If all go's well the engine and trans install will begin in the next couple weeks. blink.gif

Someday.... pray.gif
polo classic
Lovely car
Aaron Cox
She's looking better than ever Marv.

SOON!
RickS
Simply unbelievable!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.