Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Automobile Atlanta's dr 914 now onboard!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Rusty
Can I hit you, too? I don't have a problem with you... I'm just pissed off.

I just broke my second drillbit of the day... back to Lowes. mad.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif

P.S. My broken drill bits are SO not 914 related. :hijack:
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jan 6 2007, 10:43 AM) *

Can I hit you, too? I don't have a problem with you... I'm just pissed off.

I just broke my second drillbit of the day... back to Lowes. mad.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif

P.S. My broken drill bits are SO not 914 related. :hijack:

Funny. As long as you have not broken the drill bit trying to drill out a broken 914 exhaust stud, life will be ok Rusty!!!!!
IronHillRestorations
Yes Perry my friend. The facts are the facts and I will defer to you to have the last post in this exchange. Please call or e mail or come and see me at any time. I will take you out for a drink and we can personally rehash!! You can even hit me if you like!!

Thanks again for the reply George! I haven't hit another person in anger since jr high, so that would be about as much of a waste of time as my posts to this thread! biggrin.gif Business as usuall thumb3d.gif

C'mon now did my ex really call you?? blink.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jan 6 2007, 10:53 AM) *

Yes Perry my friend. The facts are the facts and I will defer to you to have the last post in this exchange. Please call or e mail or come and see me at any time. I will take you out for a drink and we can personally rehash!! You can even hit me if you like!!

Thanks again for the reply George! I haven't hit another person in anger since jr high, so that would be about as much of a waste of time as my posts to this thread! biggrin.gif Business as usuall thumb3d.gif

C'mon now did my ex really call you?? blink.gif

That's my old Perry back again!!!! We always had the conversation with all the guys here that she was social climbing! Just again tells us what kind of a guy you are.........you extend great charity to those needy women.
IronHillRestorations
OK, then you send me a set of your steel GT flairs and were even right? wink.gif
dinomium
screwy.gif
grantsfo
So Doc 914. 6 or 4? Whats better? biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 6 2007, 09:18 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 5 2007, 08:29 PM) *

Actually, I am glad you are here Doc...

Back when I first met Betty, I started working on her 914 with her. Coming from a hotrod background (69 Firebird), I really didn't have much of an idea on what I was doing with a 914. Your catalog was a godsend. I used it to figure out how things were supposed to fit together, and to learn about the car.

That was back in 1985-1986. Betty bought a set of sway bars from you, and I installed them. They are still on the car to this day (along with my crappy welding job). I still remember your address at the time... 504 Clay Street. (I wonder why? confused24.gif )

In the last 20 years of fooling with these cars, I have learned a whole lot. But I still have that old catalog around for a reference. The pictures on a computer are good, but a computer is not very easy to carry around in the trunk in case of emergencies. And your catalog never has a dead battery.

I have some bad experiences with your parts guys since, but my overall experience with AA was positive.

FYI.. I have an 2.4L MFI powered 914 /6 conversion, and I just traded the 76 930 engine I had for all the parts to build up a new 2.4L S motor for my car. SO... I have experience with MFI, and I would love to trade a tune up on your 916 for the chance to test drive it.

Welcome Doc. welcome.png

We could probably make an event our of the 916 resurrection, getting the car driveable, cleaning it to concours perfection and then having the chosen test drive it on a closed course! Glad to see that the passion has inspired you all of these years. Thanks for keeping the faith.

Why don't you get the 916 running, and bring it to one of the many 914 Events. There are a LOT of people who would love to see this car in person, and it would give you time to visit in person with the people who love these cars.

MUSR will be in Austin, TX this year. Get it running and bring it down. I will even make you a deal..if you show up for the MUSR with the 916, I will comp your entry fee.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 6 2007, 09:40 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 6 2007, 09:18 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 5 2007, 08:29 PM) *

Actually, I am glad you are here Doc...

Back when I first met Betty, I started working on her 914 with her. Coming from a hotrod background (69 Firebird), I really didn't have much of an idea on what I was doing with a 914. Your catalog was a godsend. I used it to figure out how things were supposed to fit together, and to learn about the car.

That was back in 1985-1986. Betty bought a set of sway bars from you, and I installed them. They are still on the car to this day (along with my crappy welding job). I still remember your address at the time... 504 Clay Street. (I wonder why? confused24.gif )

In the last 20 years of fooling with these cars, I have learned a whole lot. But I still have that old catalog around for a reference. The pictures on a computer are good, but a computer is not very easy to carry around in the trunk in case of emergencies. And your catalog never has a dead battery.

I have some bad experiences with your parts guys since, but my overall experience with AA was positive.

FYI.. I have an 2.4L MFI powered 914 /6 conversion, and I just traded the 76 930 engine I had for all the parts to build up a new 2.4L S motor for my car. SO... I have experience with MFI, and I would love to trade a tune up on your 916 for the chance to test drive it.

Welcome Doc. welcome.png

We could probably make an event our of the 916 resurrection, getting the car driveable, cleaning it to concours perfection and then having the chosen test drive it on a closed course! Glad to see that the passion has inspired you all of these years. Thanks for keeping the faith.

Why don't you get the 916 running, and bring it to one of the many 914 Events. There are a LOT of people who would love to see this car in person, and it would give you time to visit in person with the people who love these cars.

MUSR will be in Austin, TX this year. Get it running and bring it down. I will even make you a deal..if you show up for the MUSR with the 916, I will comp your entry fee.

We would really like everyone to see this car, yes, and thankfully it is not hidden away in some collectors building somewhere! It is in a recognized place for all to see, and the dedicated volunteer help there will be now something on the club site when we get it out and running once again! Taking it anywhere is really taking a chance of its destruction by some waylaid driver, so we don't want to take a chance (to hell with insurance coverage, this one cannot be replaced) and we are again not collectors who take their priceless cars out of hiding to show them occasionally.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jan 6 2007, 09:34 PM) *

So Doc 914. 6 or 4? Whats better? biggrin.gif

If purchasing an unmodified original car, definitely a 914-4 And either a 73 or a 74 as long as the 74 was loaded with all of the equipment that a 73 2.0 came with standardly.
Anyone who is a first time or last time 914 buyer would want a 914-4

dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jan 6 2007, 05:54 PM) *

OK, then you send me a set of your steel GT flairs and were even right? wink.gif

I would certainly consider that if you could write one of your very fine installation procedures like the one you posted, for all to share when they install their set.

BigDBass
I finally got around to ordering the Tech Tips book last week. Hopefully it arrives soon, as I'm always eager to try to digest new (to me) 914 wisdom.

So in light of the apparent success of the steel flares group buy, perhaps a group buy to celebrate the new Euro tail light lenses would be in order? biggrin.gif

rmital
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jan 8 2007, 04:55 PM) *

So in light of the apparent success of the steel flares group buy, perhaps a group buy to celebrate the new Euro tail light lenses would be in order? biggrin.gif

agree.gif
like the way your thinking......

....looking forward to receiving my Tech book too...
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jan 8 2007, 11:55 AM) *

I finally got around to ordering the Tech Tips book last week. Hopefully it arrives soon, as I'm always eager to try to digest new (to me) 914 wisdom.

We will see when they arrive if I really like them that much. If they look as good as the samples they will be great!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
New 914 Part!

the latest piece to come from our stampings is the 914 floor pan cross member. They are exact and pretty perfect and come in a left and right. As all of you probably know the factory has discontinued this part and the last retail price was over $420.00. Ours are 110 per side and the original part number is 914 501 109 10
nomore9one4
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 8 2007, 03:56 PM) *

New 914 Part!

the latest piece to come from our stampings is the 914 floor pan cross member. They are exact and pretty perfect and come in a left and right. As all of you probably know the factory has discontinued this part and the last retail price was over $420.00. Ours are 110 per side and the original part number is 914 501 109 10

Good timing.There is a member here looking for those parts! smile.gif
TROJANMAN
This thread is like one big infomercial
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(faux916 @ Jan 8 2007, 03:59 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 8 2007, 03:56 PM) *

New 914 Part!

Good timing.There is a member here looking for those parts! smile.gif

We used to make them by had but that was very time consuming!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Jan 8 2007, 04:10 PM) *

Better to get the word out than make anyone suffer from lack of availability. Not like burgers, available on any corner! Wish we could afford to make a lot more parts! (did I ever tell you about the 2000 air guide plates I had made and still have 1500 up stairs waiting for that lonely 914 to come along?)
nomore9one4
If you got the parts and people need them confused24.gif Why not promote them?
scotty b
QUOTE(faux916 @ Jan 8 2007, 05:37 PM) *

Can I assume someone needs my part and start promoting it?? sheeplove.gif
Twystd1
WHATS AN AIR GUIDE PLATE?

The one under the car??????

C
scotty b
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Jan 8 2007, 05:47 PM) *

WHATS AN AIR GUIDE PLATE?

The one under the car??????

C

The ones under the cylinders. I think I have about 10 of them in a box myself (used)
PORobinSCHE
George, i commend you for trying to answer all the negatives and positives. i see that you are trying to address everyone's concerns. and yes, you can never please everyone...all the time!
i have never dealt with you, but i am willing to give you a chance. the worst that can happen is you'll lose a customer. the best... you'll gain a friend for life.

so how do i get a catalog and price list?

sincerely

Robin J Johnson
nomore9one4

Your secret is safe with me! biggrin.gif Just kidding!
PinetreePorsche
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jan 8 2007, 11:55 AM) *

I got my tech Tips last spring, just before I got called for jury duty. I had a gread day waiting in the extras-jury pool room, reading everything I might ever want to know about my 914. Never got into a courtroom, but had two fine days (they let you go home about 2 pm). Thanks, Geo!
cooltimes
I am using my tip book now. The 106 tips on white paper, stapled.
I am totally stumped. My 914 is a 72 1.7 with FI
I verified my battery is ok and AZ charged it when there checking it. It is a new battery that I ran down just trying to crank.
I put the key in ignition switch and turn to crank.
I hear a single thump which I think is the solenoid activating.
Starter never makes a sound.
Inside the cabin, the generator light is on and both blinker indicator lights are lit.
The fuel pump runs and never switches off as I hold key in crank position.
I have been under the 914 and jump started with screwdriver but still fails to start.
I am reading tip 60 and it says possibly the ignition switch is bad.
Does that sound correct to you?
With both headlights raised and on, the lights go dark as long as I am cranking. Come back on full bright when key is turned to off side.
Any suggestions you think of would be appreciated.
Mike Cooley

1027mcool61@bellsouth.net
I can't hear well so I must do email rather than phone.

"The 1st thing to go is your memory when your 914 won't." MCooley
ws91420
QUOTE(cooltimes @ Jan 8 2007, 10:20 PM) *

I am using my tip book now. The 106 tips on white paper, stapled.
I am totally stumped. My 914 is a 72 1.7 with FI
I verified my battery is ok and AZ charged it when there checking it. It is a new battery that I ran down just trying to crank.
I put the key in ignition switch and turn to crank.
I hear a single thump which I think is the solenoid activating.
Starter never makes a sound.
Inside the cabin, the generator light is on and both blinker indicator lights are lit.
The fuel pump runs and never switches off as I hold key in crank position.
I have been under the 914 and jump started with screwdriver but still fails to start.
I am reading tip 60 and it says possibly the ignition switch is bad.
Does that sound correct to you?
With both headlights raised and on, the lights go dark as long as I am cranking. Come back on full bright when key is turned to off side.
Any suggestions you think of would be appreciated.
Mike Cooley

1027mcool61@bellsouth.net
I can't hear well so I must do email rather than phone.

"The 1st thing to go is your memory when your 914 won't." MCooley

Mike sounds like to me the starter solenoid is gone or you have hit a dead spot in the starter winding where the brushes touch.
thomasotten
Ok George, tell us about you. Do you have a 914 daily driver? Not your show cars, like a real driver you fancy. What do you drive daily, like with the family (please don't say a Cayenne)? Any German heritage in your background?
cooltimes

Mike sounds like to me the starter solenoid is gone or you have hit a dead spot in the starter winding where the brushes touch.

I think you are probably right. I look again tomorrow.

Thanks.
Mike
dr914@autoatlanta.com

We do! In our giant 914 catalog! Just that some parts are not as popular as others!
dr914@autoatlanta.com

yes, many, I am sure, AND, with little promotion!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(cooltimes @ Jan 8 2007, 09:06 PM) *

I think you are probably right. I look again tomorrow.

Thanks.
Mike

either the starter or the engine is locked! A clunk is engine a click is starter.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Jan 8 2007, 07:35 PM) *

Ok George, tell us about you. Do you have a 914 daily driver? Not your show cars, like a real driver you fancy. What do you drive daily, like with the family (please don't say a Cayenne)? Any German heritage in your background?

good questions! I always have a 914 daily driver but unfortunately just sold it a few months ago like a fool with a no questions asked deal, so am back to driving my 61 356 roadster that I have had forever until I get another. Thought I had another in the way of a 33,000 mile yellow 2.0 but that went away also. Soooo I am looking for a good daily 914 driver if anyone knows of one. Don't get me wrong, there are many many 914s here that I could drive buy like goldilocks, I am particular. Not too nice not too rough always fuel injection always as close to original as possible, original color stock interior, I of course like a 2.0 but am very partial to the 76 models as they were the last of the breed and the rarest of all of the four cylinder normal models. Maybe camp 914 could help me out?
My Grandmother on my fathers side was from switzerland (southern switzerland) I think someone crawled over the alps but my grandmother would never admit it! Mainly English and Irish Catholic (you have to put the Catholic in there to differentiate from being an invading englishman in nothern ireland) and my great grandfather Leveaux, fresh of the pickle boat from France fought for the Yankees at Gettysburg.
My Swis grandmother gave my parents in 1960 for their 10th wedding anniversary a 1960 vw beetle and that is where it all started. We had a 60 Buick Lesabre, the year after the height of the winged rebellion, so seeing for the first time a car perfectly sized for an eight year old was fascinating, and seeing how spartain it was in appointments and precise in build set me on a path to love these air cooled cars from Germany

The family has an ML 430 which is great to haul things around, fly down the straight flat interstate to Hilton Head or go fire road touring in North Georgia. I have always liked Mercedes passenger cars for the family.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(PORobinSCHE @ Jan 8 2007, 06:08 PM) *

George, i commend you for trying to answer all the negatives and positives. i see that you are trying to address everyone's concerns. and yes, you can never please everyone...all the time!
i have never dealt with you, but i am willing to give you a chance. the worst that can happen is you'll lose a customer. the best... you'll gain a friend for life.

so how do i get a catalog and price list?

sincerely

Robin J Johnson

thank you Robin. Please just provide your address and we will send you the free cd. We print the catalogs now individually and it is a lot of paper and ink so we have to charge 15 bucks but it includes the free catalog cd with the video and for club members is refundable with your first order. Please tell one of us when you car that you are a 914 world member and we will rush out!
Aaron Cox

contribution is such a cool thing smile.gif

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 8 2007, 04:23 PM) *

Better to get the word out than make anyone suffer from lack of availability. Not like burgers, available on any corner! Wish we could afford to make a lot more parts! (did I ever tell you about the 2000 air guide plates I had made and still have 1500 up stairs waiting for that lonely 914 to come along?)

iff people need em... why not get the word out? no different then eric selling caliper rebuilds etc.... or cross promoting your business in your sig etc.... its all accepted smile.gif

word.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jan 9 2007, 09:52 AM) *

contribution is such a cool thing smile.gif

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 8 2007, 04:23 PM) *

iff people need em... why not get the word out? no different then eric selling caliper rebuilds etc.... or cross promoting your business in your sig etc.... its all accepted smile.gif

word.

I hate to commercialize my posts because this is a club and I really just want to give guidance and tech advice and let people know that parts ARE available without having to struggle for them. That is all. We have PLENTY of sales everyday without having to be here trying to get more. (we LOVE 944 owners!!!!)
Ferg
I wanna see some specific threads with pics for a few of your unique 914's... like the motor trend, the last six, the sporto, ect.

I realize that is asking a bunch, but some up to date pics and historical pics would be cool.

Ferg driving.gif
TJB/914
Hi George,

I just posted my thanks to you & AA on the flare post. Glad to see you joined this forum.

AA has always been good to me on parts & service. When I restored my 914 back in the late 90's, George gave me valuable advise. It was appreciated.

Tom
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jan 9 2007, 10:07 AM) *

I wanna see some specific threads with pics for a few of your unique 914's... like the motor trend, the last six, the sporto, ect.

I realize that is asking a bunch, but some up to date pics and historical pics would be cool.

Ferg driving.gif

there are some good articles on the autoatlanta.com website! (and some pics of individual cars)
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jan 9 2007, 10:14 AM) *

Hi George,

I just posted my thanks to you & AA on the flare post. Glad to see you joined this forum.

AA has always been good to me on parts & service. When I restored my 914 back in the late 90's, George gave me valuable advise. It was appreciated.

Tom

Thank you Tom. We appreciate someone like you who deeply cares about making a 914 pristine no matter what the cost!
jasons
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 9 2007, 11:04 AM) *

We have PLENTY of sales everyday without having to be here trying to get more. (we LOVE 944 owners!!!!)

Ironic, sometimes I hate being one..... I'm the victim of an 89 S2

Lets see I did:
The clutch when the rubber centered POS failed and The top end when the timing belt failed.

I did both jobs myself and neither were for the faint of heart. (especially the clutch) Oh and I haven't even mentioned the door handles, sunroof, motor mounts, FPR, etc...

944NA's must be dropping off the road like flys. The repairs, especially if you have to farm the whole job out, must effectively total those cheaper cars.
jhadler
Hey George,

Is there a plan to update the AA website? It doesn't seem to have been updated in a while.

No, I'm not offering my services, I'm not a programmer... Just asking is all...

If I had the money to do flares, I'd have jumped at the flare group-buy. Maybe another time though.

Here's a question about the flares though, do you think that a 275 width tire on a 10" rim could fit under those flares? Custom wheel, whatever offset to make it work, but is there enough room??

-Josh2
jhadler
QUOTE(jasons @ Jan 9 2007, 11:22 AM) *

944NA's must be dropping off the road like flys. The repairs, especially if you have to farm the whole job out, must effectively total those cheaper cars.

Or they're making their way to the track. The spec 944 class is getting pretty popular...

-Josh2
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(jhadler @ Jan 9 2007, 10:24 AM) *

Hey George,

Is there a plan to update the AA website? It doesn't seem to have been updated in a while.

If I had the money to do flares, I'd have jumped at the flare group-buy. Maybe another time though.

Here's a question about the flares though, do you think that a 275 width tire on a 10" rim could fit under those flares? Custom wheel, whatever offset to make it work, but is there enough room??

-Josh2

We are working on an overhaul. It has been band aided to much and therefore we are virtually scrapping what we have in favor of a whole new system. You will see in the next few months.
I know that there is no way the 275 will fit with a ten inch. Sorry! They do make fiberglass extra wide though
jhadler
That's pretty much what I figured. Just had to take a look at it anyway with Hoosier releasing a super short diameter 275/35-15... Now, if they could justrelease a short 245, I'd be thinking about way more seriously. 275 still strikes me as too much rubber for a 100 hp, 2000 lb car...

(this is for a dedicated autox/TT car by the way...)

-Josh2

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 9 2007, 11:28 AM) *

Hey George,

-Josh2

We are working on an overhaul. It has been band aided to much and therefore we are virtually scrapping what we have in favor of a whole new system. You will see in the next few months.
I know that there is no way the 275 will fit with a ten inch. Sorry! They do make fiberglass extra wide though

dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(jhadler @ Jan 9 2007, 11:03 AM) *

That's pretty much what I figured. Just had to take a look at it anyway with Hoosier releasing a super short diameter 275/35-15... Now, if they could justrelease a short 245, I'd be thinking about way more seriously. 275 still strikes me as too much rubber for a 100 hp, 2000 lb car...

(this is for a dedicated autox/TT car by the way...)

-Josh2

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 9 2007, 11:28 AM) *

Hey George,

-Josh2

Another problem that few consider is that with the wider tire and wheel, trememdous strain is placed on the swing arm and chassis, originally designed to wear a complient 165x15 tire! Even the factory installing 225 tires in the rear stiffened the chassis. And the poor swing arm? How to stiffen that without it making it weigh a ton and a half, which puts further strain on the chassis!
Maybe someone out there would volunteer to make an aluminum arm??
Dave_Darling
Somone at one point made a trailing arm out of steel tubing, with an option for aluminum. It didn't sell very well (at all?).

Racer Chris (Chris Foley from http://www.tangerineracing.com) did some internal reinforcements to the trailing arm which helped its stiffness quite significantly and didn't weigh very much. I've also seen the pivot tube gussetted to the main arm to help prevent flexing.

Of course, at that point you probably need to brace the inner ear to the chassis... Which I've seen on some race cars, and everyone seems to have their own ideas about the exact details of how the bracing should be.

You can really go overboard on some of this stuff....

I also know racers who believe that a fresh stock trailing arm, fully re-welded, is the best way to go.

--DD
SGB
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 8 2007, 07:49 PM) *

The ones under the cylinders. I think I have about 10 of them in a box myself (used)

I need a set for a 2.0. At least one of the mounting tabs to the heat exchangers is broken on each of mine. how mucho poesos?
I'm serious. Send pm if you don't wanna answer here.
autohausdolby
(Arrives late on thread - waves) Hello!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.