Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PNW, Tacoma, WA transmission rebuild clinic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Loser_Cruiser
Helios, I just noticed your in bellingham!! Im not alone!
Loser_Cruiser
And if I read correctly you need some one to take your trans down. I most likely have room. Ill double check. Im taking my 911 and my transmission and am picking one up from jamie, so coming back with two. but I see know reason I cant wrap them um in old blankets and toss them im the back.
helios
QUOTE(Loser_Cruiser @ Apr 15 2011, 08:15 PM) *

Helios, I just noticed your in bellingham!! Im not alone!

Yep, here in the 'ham. There are a couple other teeners around here too. Nord has a gorgeous silver 2.0.

You should check out Chuckanut Sports Car Club if you get a chance. CSCC Great group of guys. Several Porsche owners (w/o stereotypical 911 superiority syndrome), along w/ a smattering of bimmers, english jobbies and some modern japanese tech. Roger has a sick little road course prepped Tiger that he's been known to attack Bellingham asphalt w/ his headers. aktion035.gif
Dr Evil
You guys with ideas on selling spare stuff on the net and such after the event, bring your boxes and I will help part and sort them so you know what you have and what is crap smile.gif
PeeGreen 914
I may end up bringing a box to build for myself Doc smile.gif I think all of mine are good but I may as well have a nice fresh box wink.gif
Dr Evil
Gimme gimme gimme $$$
helios
Destruction has commenced. Oil now draining, then up into the air.

Ended up having to get a new jack too, as mine was too small for the CFR support tool. Really not a big deal as I've been wanting one for a couple years now. This just gave me the excuse to pull the trigger.
6freak
The wife has some ideas for the ladys that show up ..they wont be board
Root_Werks
QUOTE(6freak @ Apr 18 2011, 06:55 AM) *

Cool, Michelle wants to join the fun. She's always liked the local 914 crowd. screwy.gif

I think we got our official last drive in the 914 yesterday before the tranny comes out. The sun actually poked out and it really warmed up. We drove around for a couple of hours before some clouds started rolling back in. Nice to get a drive in before it's up on jackstands. I think that'll be this weekend?

Tranny Clinic is coming up fast! smash.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(6freak @ Apr 18 2011, 09:55 AM) *

Wooohoooo, Stripper poles and jell-o shots! drunk.gif
6freak
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 18 2011, 11:28 AM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Apr 18 2011, 09:55 AM) *

Wooohoooo, Stripper poles and jell-o shots! drunk.gif

That was my idea .....I got turned down.....I told her i wouldnt be hard to remove it from the bedroom! lol-2.gif and i would put it back when we where done .. piratenanner.gif drunk.gif
PanelBilly
Looks like I need to get caught up on the program. just sent in my $ to attend. I am sad to report that I am required to attend a Rotary event Saturday night. It the annual auction and since someone else paid for my dinner, I can't stiff them. I might be able to come back laer that evening. If this clinic is anything like the last one showing up at 11:00 for a late night toast (or three) wouldn't be out of the question.

Wasn't there a thread on what we needed to bring for snacks or splitting the cost of the potty?
PanelBilly
I have taught some pretty dense people how (its ok, they dont know that I am talking about them biggrin.gif ).

Hey don' talk about me like that
Dr Evil
Billy is in smilie_pokal.gif
Root_Werks
Wow, this is quite the list we've got going!

aktion035.gif
Mr.242
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Apr 15 2011, 07:16 AM) *

Okay 914 peeps, we're talking eats and BBQ for this event. I will gladly do the prep and cooking for this event. I'll bring the Binford and have her set up for a good grubbing.

Need input on what you would like to see: Lunch or Dinner on Saturday?

I can do Baby Back Ribs or Pulled Pork Sandwhiches.

I believe I can do a whole slab of ribs + slaw + cornbread per person at $20 a person.

Dinner would be my thought, allows tending and cooking all day. Allows trannies to be complete and hands to be cleaned up. When I did my rebuild clinic it was a simple sandwhich and kept working thru the day.

Who's in? chowtime.gif

(Dr. Evil, I will also get you some oysters for the Saturday snacks too)

So I will go with what works for me! Will take donations for the dinner meal. Will need a count on how many MOUTHS are there to eat. I will begin preparing on Wednesday before the event.

BBQer's choice poke.gif

Meal:
Try a little "wide open throttle" dish (grilled half shell oysters), for those who can handle it.

"Tranny Tear-down" (bacon wrapped Jalepeno's)

Working in a good "gear stack" (pile of BBQ meats)
Add a 'sychro' (slaw and/or beans)

Finally: 'cool down lap'. (driver/self sponsored cold beverage)

A custom "Dr. Evil 90w BBQ Sauce" will be created for this event (a little touch of 'shut the hell up' and a bunch of 'I'm a Doctor, trust me') dry.gif

chowtime.gif MEAT chowtime.gif

Dr Evil
av-943.gif

If anyone is planning on spectating (so your not on the list) and wants to eat make sure you give Mark notice so he can make enough grub!
Dr Evil
Just wanted to give some more props to our host, Mr. C.

We talked yesterday and he offered his truck to me for the week so I would not have to spend on a rental! What a guy smile.gif

My wife and I are always shocked/pleased about the people we meet here. They are generous, just like us smile.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 21 2011, 11:18 AM) *

Just wanted to give some more props to our host, Mr. C.

We talked yesterday and he offered his truck to me for the week so I would not have to spend on a rental! What a guy smile.gif

My wife and I are always shocked/pleased about the people we meet here. They are generous, just like us smile.gif

He is a very awesome guy. How many people out there would let you put cone marks on a near perfect original 6? beerchug.gif
JRust
I want food chowtime.gif . Although no oysters or the atomic things. Meat drooley.gif Love it!

Mike is a cool dude. Especially if he has his crown to fall back on beer3.gif . Hey Mike do I still have a bed in the trailer?

Look what I found on my doorstep? (forgot the pics but 3 sets of seal/gasket kits) I'm ready to build some tranny's now
PanelBilly
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 19 2011, 08:01 AM) *

Wow, this is quite the list we've got going!

aktion035.gif

Thanks for adding this after I join in.
6freak
. Hey Mike do I still have a bed in the trailer?

yes you do ...

Hey Doc ...diesels 415 a gallon poke.gif ...lmao

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments
PDXMike
I'd like to spectate and eat. popcorn[1].gif chowtime.gif

Is there room to set up a tent or dry place to lay out a sleeping bag? I'm trying to save my money for transmission parts for future build.

I can bring my own BEvERages (with enough to share of course) and chip in for food.
rohar
Thought I'd stop by Saturday morning to spectate/meet and great. If anyone needs a tailshifter core, I'll bring it with me but I don't want to drag it home. Thinking of throwing a pair of fattys in the cooler for the grill. One german and one mexican.
6freak
QUOTE(PDXMike @ Apr 22 2011, 01:27 PM) *

I'd like to spectate and eat. popcorn[1].gif chowtime.gif

Is there room to set up a tent or dry place to lay out a sleeping bag? I'm trying to save my money for transmission parts for future build.

I can bring my own BEvERages (with enough to share of course) and chip in for food.

Lots of room for tents and camping out....everyone`s welcome
DNHunt
QUOTE(rohar @ Apr 22 2011, 01:31 PM) *

Thought I'd stop by Saturday morning to spectate/meet and great. If anyone needs a tailshifter core, I'll bring it with me but I don't want to drag it home. Thinking of throwing a pair of fattys in the cooler for the grill. One german and one mexican.

I,ll take a tail shifter core.

Thanks

Dave
PanelBilly
What's a Mexican fatty?

Boy am I asking for it
Mr.242
I have a tailshift that I grabbed that has the rear mounting tabs broken off. It appears this tranny sat for a long time and hasn't been used in years. I will bring that and maybe it has some good pieces in it that someone can use. Someone might be able to grab the tailcone off another and have a pretty good tranny....who knows.

Dr. Evil....enjoy the $4.15/gallon diesel. YIKES!

rohar
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 23 2011, 06:45 AM) *

What's a Mexican fatty?

Boy am I asking for it

There's 3 answers to that question. One'll get ya busted, the other two are a bit heavy on cholesterol and only one of those you can ever tell anyone about after indulging.

I have no intention of getting busted and we should all be able to talk about our escapades later.

A "Fatty" is a filling of your choice (I use cream cheese, jalepanios, tomatoes etc. for my "mexican" fatty) wrapped in pork sausage, then wrapped in bacon and smoked or grilled until you just HAVE to have it. Imagine what a griller would think of a turducken.

A fatty:

IPB Image

A german fatty is pretty much the same thing except with spatzel, sauerkraut and cheddar in the middle. Unless you're in Bavaria, then it's all those from Hessen. On the up side, you never need a compass in Germany. The wide ones are always north.
KELTY360
QUOTE(rohar @ Apr 23 2011, 06:43 PM) *

What's a Mexican fatty?

Boy am I asking for it

There's 3 answers to that question. One'll get ya busted, the other two are a bit heavy on cholesterol and only one of those you can ever tell anyone about after indulging.

I have no intention of getting busted and we should all be able to talk about our escapades later.

A "Fatty" is a filling of your choice (I use cream cheese, jalepanios, tomatoes etc. for my "mexican" fatty) wrapped in pork sausage, then wrapped in bacon and smoked or grilled until you just HAVE to have it. Imagine what a griller would think of a turducken.

A fatty:

IPB Image

A german fatty is pretty much the same thing except with spatzel, sauerkraut and cheddar in the middle. Unless you're in Bavaria, then it's all those from Hessen. On the up side, you never need a compass in Germany. The wide ones are always north.

Wow! Does that come with de-fib paddles?
helios
Finally got the motor & trans out of the car last night. Going to try to get the trans separated from the motor and cleaned up for a possible delivery next weekend.

Going to take advantage of the motor being out to tend to a couple other things before it all goes back together in June/July or so.
montoya 73 2.0
I was going to be a last minute show until last week. Doc, the Teener ran like crap in Tahoe cause she blew cylinder #4. I took her out for the first time since then and thought maybe it was just the valvesneeding adjustment. Nope! So, thanks to Jamie (jrust) I will hopefully be picking up a motor next week. Well actually the wife saw what you had told me about. She went and decided to call the guy herself and worked out a deal. It was a very nice surprise! Anyways, if things go well than I should have the Teener ready for the WCR! Sorry to be missing this event but I need a motor more than a rebuilt trans. Im sure the Doc will be out here again and I will attend that future event. Good luck and have fun everyone.
JRust
Glad to hear it Drew! If I can be of any help let me know
Dr Evil
Good luck, Drew.

For everyone else, here is the thread on how to do a quick inspection of your pinion.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1465969
Root_Werks
I was "suppose" to pull the tranny out this last weekend. But Saturday was 70 degrees, so we drove the 914 instead.

driving.gif

I'll start the pull process over the week and have it all ready by this weekend. Ensures I won't be pulling an all-nighter to be ready for the 7th.

Daiberl
Bad news, good news. We put an offer on a house in Lake Forest Park and the seller accepted the offer smile.gif . That means I will not be able to attend the clinic and do my tranny because I don't want to drop the tranny in my car and I don't wnat to spend money at the moment to buy another tranny sad.gif I will try to come down and watch for some time. Already informed Dr Evil and asked whether he will do another one next year, my tranny is leaking and the syncros are not the best, hope to be able to attend the next one.

- Juergen
JRust
Hey let's make Juergon's our full deal. We wanted to do one start to finish right confused24.gif . What do you say gents? Have him drive it there & we pull it to rebuild it. Then put it back in?
Daiberl
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 25 2011, 07:54 PM) *

Hey let's make Juergon's our full deal. We wanted to do one start to finish right confused24.gif . What do you say gents? Have him drive it there & we pull it to rebuild it. Then put it back in?

Jamie, thanks for the offer. I simply fear that if I drop the tranny I will not be able to get it in before we move 2 weeks later (if everything works out with the bank). I also have my 996 (which is the best car I ever had) listed for sale, if I'm able to sell the car in the next week I will try to get another tranny and attend but the market for Porsche 996 is DEAD sad.gif All the people seem to fear catastrophic engine failures on 996 and Boxster, in reality these are great cars. So let's see what the next few weeks bring, I will come down, either for looking around and learning or for doing a tranny. At the end the house has priority at the moment because happy wife happy life biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 24 2011, 06:59 PM) *

Good luck, Drew.

For everyone else, here is the thread on how to do a quick inspection of your pinion.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1465969

Thanks! I'll use this hopefully this weekend.
jsaum
Doc,

So I've got out of a business trip to China and now the only thing standing in my way of attending the clinic is moving someone on Friday. If all goes well, is showing up at the door with cash in hand and tranny ready acceptable?

Jsaum
jcambo7
QUOTE(jsaum @ Apr 26 2011, 12:13 PM) *

Doc,

So I've got out of a business trip to China and now the only thing standing in my way of attending the clinic is moving someone on Friday. If all goes well, is showing up at the door with cash in hand and tranny ready acceptable?

Jsaum

Hey. Where in Puyallup do you live? I live in South Hill. Not trying to hi jack the thread just curious. I may end up going to this too if I can get the money. I would like to rebuild my transmission for the experience and because I believe some of my synchros are going out.
jsaum
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Apr 26 2011, 10:27 AM) *

QUOTE(jsaum @ Apr 26 2011, 12:13 PM) *

Doc,

Jsaum

Hey. Where in Puyallup do you live? I live in South Hill. Not trying to hi jack the thread just curious. I may end up going to this too if I can get the money. I would like to rebuild my transmission for the experience and because I believe some of my synchros are going out.

I'm just off 104th and canyon on 63rd ave ct e give me a call and stop by sometime 253-677-8330
Dr Evil
Jsaum,

yup. Not a problem.
Dr Evil
First post updated smile.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 24 2011, 01:52 AM) *

QUOTE(rohar @ Apr 23 2011, 06:43 PM) *

What's a Mexican fatty?

Boy am I asking for it

A fatty:

IPB Image

Wow! Does that come with de-fib paddles?

OMFG!

rohar
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 26 2011, 06:31 PM) *

OMFG!

You know you want a slice.

All home grown pork. Never touched water. Goat milk only. The bacon is divine. Don't do it more than once every two or three months or you'll need to keep the phone number of a good cardiologist in your wallet.
Dr Evil
Well, duh! Of course I want a slice or 10. chowtime.gif

I am still on the fence about whether I would rather live long and eat healthy, or possibly die younger but eat food that makes me happy wink.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(rohar @ Apr 26 2011, 06:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 26 2011, 06:31 PM) *

OMFG!

You know you want a slice.

All home grown pork. Never touched water. Goat milk only. The bacon is divine. Don't do it more than once every two or three months or you'll need to keep the phone number of a good cardiologist in your wallet.

Well thankfully I grew up next door to one of the most respected cardiologists in the PNW beerchug.gif . Actually would prefer he never have to work on me but maybe he'd give me a discount blink.gif laugh.gif
PanelBilly
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 25 2011, 07:54 PM) *

I'm in for that. Come on man, let us take your running car apart!!!
Sailor
Count me in on the food!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.