Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PNW, Tacoma, WA transmission rebuild clinic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
rohar
QUOTE(Tom @ May 7 2011, 06:02 PM) *

evilgrin.gif It's 6 and no pics! sad.gif Put the beer down and post some, please!? biggrin.gif
Tom, wishing I was there.

I just got back to Spokane from there. They seemed like a pretty industrious group, no time for posting on the internet :|

It was GREAT to meat a bunch of you guys!
messix
The doc is toxic icon8.gif icon8.gif
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(messix @ May 7 2011, 09:51 PM) *

The doc is toxic icon8.gif icon8.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Anything that guy ingests is bad news to everyone else!
jcambo7
I took a few late in the day with my phone. I arrived after 4:30 PM after I got off of work.
Click to view attachment
jcambo7
s'more
Click to view attachment
TC 914-8
Looks like a messy blast, sorry I couldent make it. I hope the tail shift I dropped off went to good use. Keep the picts. coming. beerchug.gif
Mr.242
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ May 8 2011, 08:28 AM) *

This one was off jackstands and driving out at 12:29am. beerchug.gif

29 mins off the prediction to be done at midnight. A few key people were under the thing working like crazy and hooking up all the essentials.

it was a long day and the ODOR and TOXIC released from the Dr. Evil fart factory could clear the entire building! bs.gif He's like a fricken Gremlin that has specific rules so you don't end up DEAD. However, he often doesn't warn when he let's loose. When someone turns and runs.....you too better just run. Don't wait for the smell to pierce your life.

Today will be worse because all the BBQ, Jalepeno's, and oysters have had HOURS to brew smells that a terrorist wouldn't even use on their enemies. chair.gif

@Rohar.
Thanks for the Fatties. Despite the threat of a cardiac arrest upon eating them......
They didn't take long to be eaten up! Pretty darn tasty.

@PanelBilly.
Thanks for cutting up the Atomic Buffalo Turds! They too disappeared quickly.

@6Freak.
Thanks for cleaning up your garage. It's the cleanest I have EVER seen it. The venue has held everyone and being in Tacoma, it's bonus no one got shot at or we didn't hear gun fire. Finally, your 11pm entertainment and tango with Captain Morgan was, well........artistic.
NORD

I put a jar of Pickeled Herring on the table for all to enjoy and I

think shortly after the Dr. got into that is when the odor became BAD

Glad I'm not there this morning drunk.gif

Thanks to all that put this together. Being an observer at a clinnic

I would feel confident pulling my box apart now with the video smash.gif
rohar
@Mr.242, @6Freak, one of you should grab the beef ribs in the fridge and cook them, they'll go bad in a couple of days. They're a bit fatty, but if you cook them slow they're the beef version of bacon, and who doesn't like bacon?

@NORD
. If you'da given me a heads up on the pickled herring, I'da hung out 'till then and drove through the night to get home!
jsaum
I had a great time, Thanks to the Doc for all of the help and thanks to Mike and his wife for all of the great hospitality! Awesome food and as always great 914 camaraderie!

Jsaum
Silver72
ALL- Thank you for helping a newbie transmission guy learn what and what not to do.

I appreciated the help getting me on the road. Pretty damn cool ecosystem of 914 folks.

Big THANK YOU to Mr. C and family for hosting. Also for the great BBQ.

Dr. Evil. THANK YOU. Two words for you. Gas-X and Butter. Former is....well easy to understand....second is the trans was smooth as silk on the way home.

To the guys that helped me get on the road...I owe you! I will get the shifter springs sorted out soon.

I connected one vac hose last night and found one this morning. Everything is running great now.

Best and looking forward to linking up soon. If you need anything let me know.

Mark

scotty b
I feel for you guys. The odor of Mike and gear oil is one of the foulest things ever. Couple with that pickled herring in his gut barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif Saddam probably would have paid millions for a sample of his fart.
helios
Thanks again for hosting 6freak, and a big thanks to the doc for coming back out this way again. Wish I could've been down there today for the aftermath.

Ended up not getting home till a bit after 1.....lots of stops. I didn't even bother unpacking the car until this morning/afternoon (didn't regain consiousness untill almost 11) before heading off to work.

It was good to see everyone again. Good times tearing up trannies w/ JRust again. Shall we do it agian in another 2 years? wink.gif

beerchug.gif

Now back to work..... sad.gif
Root_Werks
We swung by and picked up Jon (peegreen914) along with a transmission, Michelle took the back seat on the way down to meet up with Mark (Silver72)
Root_Werks
I realized yesterday morning I don't own or drive anything with less than two trunks. biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
Then it was off to Kirkland to meet up with mark and pick up yet another tranny!

They were like dead bodies pilling up in the back of the squareback. blink.gif
Root_Werks
Off to the good Dr. to inject some new life.
Root_Werks
One we arrived, the BBQ was already up and running. chowtime.gif
Root_Werks
It's hard to explain just how much work was going on all over the place. Pretty crazy!
Root_Werks
Here are the Mark's, Kelty360 thinking so hard about what to do next, he's sticking his toungue out. Silver72 in the background tearing into gear boxes, I believe a total of 3!
Root_Werks
Jamie's (Jrust) workstation. Multiple tranny's going under the knife here as well. I heard a rumor there was a box contructed with 5 speeds in reverse?
Root_Werks
More tranny mayhem:
Root_Werks
This is a good picture, there was so much to learn. Keeping track of the gaskets between the case and intermediate plate was crucial. Here's Kelty360 measuring the thickness of one of his.

The math got harder as the beers continued to flow. beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
Last picture I had on my camera:

I wanted to thank everyone for such a great event.

Mike C. - Thanks for letting us into your home and running amuck. smash.gif
Mark C. - Thanks for providing the meat. chowtime.gif
Dr. Evil - Thanks for all the help and advice durring my rather impatient process of tearing into my transmission, not following instructions, speaking out of turn in class, bassically being the problem child when school was in session. biggrin.gif

I put money in the food bucket, if you guys wind up short, please don't hesitate to let the group know. Michelle and I are happy to put more to the cause if needed and certainly don't expect anyone to pay for what I comsumed and drank.

chowtime.gif beer.gif

Thanks again everyone, what a fun day!

BTW - The tranny is back in the 914. I still have to hook up the little stuff, but I'm very excited to try out my new gears!

driving.gif
JRust
What a great weekend biggrin.gif .

Thanks to the Mike's (Crandal & the good DR happy11.gif )
Thanks to Mr. BBQ ___Mark chowtime.gif
Well worth the measly $20 donation for food. If only I could eat that good all the time drooley.gif

I was able to get 2 transmissions built. Had a few wrinkles. Like putting my Dif in after my stack & buttoning it all up. Would have been a bit of a shock when I put it in & had 5 gears in reverse headbang.gif Luckily I noticed when I started on the second one that I did it wrong. Only downside was having to take it all back out so I could put it in right. Went pretty well except for when I was popping the tailcone off. I was a miffed at having to pull it apart. While I was hitting the ears up with my hands. It decided to let go & meet my forehead smilie_pokal.gif . Amazingly with everyone there. Nobody saw me do it av-943.gif . The second one went much better.

Oh yeah HUGE thanks to Mrs Crandall for her hospitality. Even on mothers day she was cooking for us cheer.gif . Make sure you bring here to WCR Mike if she can get the time off.

It was also great to meet Noel (Mrs happy11.gif ). She was helping with the food & lightening the mood after one of many bombs dropped by the doctor icon8.gif
messix
thanks to the good [really? not his ass!] Dr!

i learned alot.......

thanks to mark for the ribs and turds!

thanks to mikey for the elk burgers [awesome!!!] !

thank you to the ladies, i don't know how they put up with all this on mothers day!

aircooledtechguy
I thoroughly enjoyed Saturday. Absolutely nothing to do other than watch, help here and there, poke fun etc. It was great to see everyone and meet some new faces that I hadn't met before. Always a pleasure to be verbally abused by the good Dr.!! happy11.gif

BIG THANKS to 6Freak (and his wife) for hosting this time. beerchug.gif I got such a kick out of watching Sam play in the puddles and just be a care-free kid.

Mr242; What can be said; the eats were unbelievable. I'm not ashamed to say that after I got home, I was laying in bed dreaming of his meat!! chowtime.gif first.gif pray.gif av-943.gif

Rohar; I think your fatties lasted about 1 minute once cut drooley.gif chowtime.gif Thank you for sharing them. It was great to meet you!

KELTY360
agree.gif What all these guys said. We trashed Mike's man cave like it's never been trashed before. Mark's food was incredible.....wolfing down a pulled pork/slaw sandwich with gear-oil-soaked gloves took gourmet to a new level. The Crandall clan has got it goin' on. And the Dr; what can I say that hasn't already been said. He was everywhere, passing on wisdom in his inimitable style...and that's not all he was passing. That boy has a future. aktion035.gif

Didn't take many pictures because I was trying to stuff all this info between my ears so it would come back out through my fingertips. There were many blockages along the way. blink.gif

A little sampling of the crowd, by no means everybody. I'm sure there were more than 30 people in attendance.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Dan Root took about 5 minutes to get his box disassembled and reassembled with new gears, making the rest of us look very bad until the Dr. 'gently' explained the error of his ways.
Click to view attachment

PanelBilly intent on cleaning.
Click to view attachment

The Dr. critiquing Eddie's dog teeth while Harry looks on.
Click to view attachment

Doctor Evil performs a magic trick for Dave Hunt. "Watch this, at no time will my fingers leave my hands."
Click to view attachment

Eddie914
FABULOUS!

THANK YOU CRANDALL'S!

THANK YOU DR. EVIL!

I showed up with three POS transaxles and finished buttoning up two good gearboxes by about 1:30 am on Sunday morning. After a quick nap on the couch in the 6Freak mancave, I left a bit after sunup and was home in time to help the kids make Mother's Day breakfast.

Thanks to all!

Cheers,

Eddie

ps I'll post some pinion gear carnage pics when I get a few free minutes ... NASTY!
greenie
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachmentWow!!

I had some family stuff to take care of so I missed the clinic.

One thing I did learn from this thread is that I need to find a better looking crowd to hang with,
I remember back in the day (even Troy looked like a stud) when the drivers looked good and the cars were a little rough. Now it's the opposite.

You tranny guy's are not a very photogenic group.

Just a few years back.....
sixnotfour

When the Sun actually shined in the PNW

Looks like fun...
KELTY360
QUOTE(greenie @ May 9 2011, 06:53 PM) *

One thing I did learn from this thread is that I need to find a better looking crowd to hang with,
I remember back in the day (even Troy looked like a stud) when the drivers looked good and the cars were a little rough. Now it's the opposite.

What are you talking about.....Troy's car still looks rough. poke.gif

6freak
any guess`s on the amount of scrap to the recycling..... weight wise... and how many box`s were left behind smile.gif

Kick ass fun was had .....and just to make thing`s right it was Sailor jerrys rum Bro.... drunk.gif .O and Most of a bottle of Pendelton blink.gif ....but i was not the one who blew chunks barf.gif
messix

i got yer stud right here pretty boy!!!! sheeplove.gif
messix
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 9 2011, 09:40 PM) *

What are you talking about.....Troy's car still looks rough. poke.gif

EF off you punk! slap.gif
sixnotfour
BTW what Tranny where you working on Troy ???

got your motor out ?

Is that Kevin Powpowers in the back ground ?
Eddie914
PowPowPowers was there. It was good to see him!

It was easy to find Troy's trans ... it was the one closest to the doughnuts.

Jeff ... hope you are healing well!

Cheers,

Eddie
6freak
11 box`s 860 lbs scrap ...25 lbs of brass...and my shop still smells like a 860lbs 90weight ASS icon8.gif
Silver72
QUOTE(6freak @ May 10 2011, 09:13 AM) *

11 box`s 860 lbs scrap ...25 lbs of brass...and my shop still smells like a 860lbs 90weight ASS icon8.gif

Wow. Thanks for doing that work.
rohar
If there weren't enough good things coming from this event, thanks to PeeGreen914, it looks as there will be a couple new products for 914s showing up on the market.

The guy's got an amazing, and completely random mind. If this works, we'll all be in a better place in a few months...
championgt1
What a blast! I left at 1:30am and a handfull of guys were still pouring drinks. drunk.gif Hell, Eddie was still working on his tranny!

6freak
tools aquired.....very nice #3 craftsman driver ( teal strip on handle)
black handled 1" wood chisel
6" drift punch

smile.gif Kelty360 is look`n for a 14mm deep snap-on
you all know what its like to loose one from a set .....its no longer a set
I will dig around more when i get home
Root_Werks
I'll check my little tool bag, don't think I have any extra's though.

Post Tranny Clinic update:

Tuesday I got my 914 back on the ground for the initial drive. After a little shifter adjustment, everything was 100%.

New shifter bushings
New clutch
New X 4th and flipped H 5th
Tranny didn't need any parts, so it was a simple re-seal and swap out the gears.

Gotta say, I love the new X and H gears. Very well spaced for the 2.0 engine and I have no problem pulling 5th even from 55mph on slight grades (We're basically at sea level). I drove it around Tuesday for a while and again today to work. Loving the taller gears. I can really stretch the 914 legs now without sounding like I'm going to grenade the engine.

edit: the little glass pack I welded into the Bursch system made a big difference. No more anoying raspy sounds and the whole tail pipe note is much quieter now. That combined with the lower freeway rpm's and the whole driving on long trips should be much, much more enjoyable.

driving.gif
6freak
Good to hear Dan ....I found the 14mm snap on piratenanner.gif ...SAE drawer go figure confused24.gif ....I dont think anyone has blamed Troy for anything yet dry.gif
messix
go ahead and blame me for the dr evil toxic ass! happy11.gif
sixnotfour

stirthepot.gif
messix
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 12 2011, 06:16 PM) *

stirthepot.gif

why do you wanna buy it?
scotty b
QUOTE(6freak @ May 10 2011, 08:13 AM) *

my shop still smells like a 860lbs 90weight ASS icon8.gif

Yeah it's very hard to get the Eau de Evil out lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.