Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PNW, Tacoma, WA transmission rebuild clinic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
6freak
I can smell it already chowtime.gif and trany fluid and beer3.gif ........smells like fun drunk.gif
DNHunt
Count me in on the food. I can get a bunch of suds to wash it down. Inside deal with a new brewery in Gig Harbor.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

No Kegs are available but, I can get 16 oz cans. At least enough for everyone to get a couple.

Dave
PanelBilly
I'm getting thirsty thinking about it
Silver72
Know your talking. I can kick in. Going to be good being back in Lakewood area!

aktion035.gif
TC 914-8
Good news, Bad news, I won't be able to make it, although I was just planning on being a spectator on Sat. mad.gif
Good news, for you guys, the food and beer consumption, I wont be able to make it, I will be able to drop off a tail shift for parts on Friday on my way back from Sea-tac if it will be any help for parts.
Turns out I have work, travel, and work come up, I have been off for 2 weeks and when the job hits next week I have to be there.
I will make it to WCR so I will see you PNW's there. beer3.gif
Send me the Clinic info and I will do my best to drop off the tail shifter for parts when I travel to / from the Airport, gratis, as they say south of the border.
TI
6freak
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 30 2011, 06:45 PM) *

Edit from original post:
Dates are 7-8 of May. at 6freak's house in Tacoma, WA.

Cost is $300 per person, unlimited transmissions. I have good used parts, and new parts will be at whole sale with 0% mark-up. People without boxes to build are free to watch. I supply special tools, instruction, parts, noxious fumes. smile.gif

Stainless hardware, cleaning solvents, rags and basins, and rebuild DVD for those who do not have it already are included in the cost.

Paid attendees:

Mark F. from Kirkland - removal and installation service as well smile.gif
Dan Root + parts and H gear
DN Hunt + M gear + S gear
Marcus S.
Chris S. (or his champion)
JRust
Andy B. + 912 nose cone and shift rod
Ian B.
Sailor
PanelBilly
Mark C. (Food/lodging)
Mike C. (Host)
cheer.gif KELTY360 cheer.gif rolleyes.gif
RDauenhauer (SP) (trading parts)

Looks like a party happy11.gif

M.R.Crandall 253-370-4458
6829 East B street
Tacoma WA 98404 smile.gif
championgt1
icon_bump.gif 1 week away!

driving.gif sawzall-smiley.gif beer3.gif welder.gif chowtime.gif drunk.gif
Dr Evil
Mark F. is our start to finish guy. If Juergen needs/wants that too, we can likely accommodate.
rohar
If there's any of you guys on the East side that don't want to drag your tranny there, I'll be in Factoria starting Thursday with the Dodge. More than happy transporting heavy stuff as it gets 20mpg up hill, down hill or towing a horse trailer. I'm gonna have to scat Saturday night, so you may end up dragging your own stuff home;)
helios
Jon, got the trans halfway clean (not as clean as I would've liked, sorry). Going to take shower and be headed down your way. driving.gif
PeeGreen 914
Cool, I won't be home but just put it in front of the garage.

rohar
The hot one is done, now time for savory:

IPB Image

I'll come with the number to an amazing cardiologist in my wallet. Now that you all know, when I fall over, you'll know where the number is.
Dr Evil
I am soooo moist right now drooley.gif
Root_Werks
As soon as I get home tonight, out comes the tranny!

smash.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(rohar @ May 1 2011, 03:49 PM) *

The hot one is done, now time for savory:

IPB Image

I'll come with the number to an amazing cardiologist in my wallet. Now that you all know, when I fall over, you'll know where the number is.

Does he cut you in for a commission?
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ May 2 2011, 02:04 PM) *

smash.gif

Gonna let your freak flag fly? confused24.gif
rohar
Commission isn't a bad idea, I should give him a call...

IPB Image

Beef ribs thawing. Loaf of bread for perspective. Two racks of short ribs per package.

I'll be in town Thursday night with nothing to do, so if anyone needs help pulling a tranny that late, gimme a holler!
Root_Werks
icon_bump.gif
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 2 2011, 11:29 AM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ May 2 2011, 02:04 PM) *

smash.gif

Gonna let your freak flag fly? confused24.gif

blink.gif

lol-2.gif

Oooo this is gonna be a fun.......interesting weekend. happy11.gif
PanelBilly
Will there be a table I can work on? I can get the tranny in the trunk of my car, but not a table. What tools should we bring besides a bottle opener?
Loser_Cruiser
Sorry if I missed it but has a start time been given? How late do we plan to go on Saturday? What is the plan for Sunday?

Just trying to plan, so the family can be off doing their thing during the day.
Dr Evil
I like to start at 9am and go until everyone is exhausted. Typically we go to midnight and start the same time on Sun. Most dont make it in by 9am on Sun confused24.gif happy11.gif

I will be arriving on Fri night about midnight so no bitching about being tired!

I still have to send Mike my itinerary rolleyes.gif Tonight, Mike.
Silver72
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 30 2011, 09:54 AM) *

Mark F. is our start to finish guy. If Juergen needs/wants that too, we can likely accommodate.

Yep. Looking forward to having the subject matter expert help in sorting out trans etc...want to learn as much as I can in the process. smash.gif
NORD

Hey! Work schedule has changed for this weekend for me.

Can I come down to watch or help. I don't have a box to rebuild,

but can make beer runs or get chips if needed. Would I be able to

get in on the BBQ? 6 Freak ( Mike ) let me know. driving.gif
Dr Evil
Sure smile.gif
Daiberl
I still plan to come down even if I don't do the transmission I will at least try to watch and learn. If everything works out we will move in 4 weeks and I can't spend the money on another tranny unless I sell the 996 but at the moment the market is really DEAD for such cars. I had a few people taking a look but nothing serious sad.gif

- Juergen
PanelBilly
Anybody want to attend the Rotary auction with my girlfriend on Saturday night, so I don't need to leave the fun?
rohar
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ May 2 2011, 09:17 PM) *

Anybody want to attend the Rotary auction with my girlfriend on Saturday night, so I don't need to leave the fun?

Uh, did you just offer to trade your girlfriend for a tranny party? lol-2.gif
6freak
QUOTE(rohar @ May 2 2011, 11:10 PM) *

Thats what it sounded like to me .....Midnite friday look for the cigar smoke`n chick`n fucker in the PNW aktion035.gif
JRust
My wife told me to tell you never to plan this on mothers day weekend again rolleyes.gif

I hope you feel sufficiently chastised biggrin.gif . I sure as hell won't bring it up this weekend when I'm having fun lol-2.gif
Dr Evil
Well, if you all were raised by wolves like I was you would not have an issue rolleyes.gif
Root_Werks
I still need to clean the transmission up, but it's out and almost ready. I want to pull the side cover off and prep as much as I can.

Today I also decided to thwart the retarded raspy sound that farts out the bursch muffler. I added a mini-glasspack. When everything gets back together, we'll see how it sounds. Hopefully a little smoother and muffled.

Mister Evil, should I pull anything else off the transmission to help make things go easier?
Loser_Cruiser
pulled my side cover off, took some pictures. Anything abnormal?

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

sorry if the pictures are crap, I only had my cell phone
PanelBilly

If she comes by on Sunday, lets not say anything about the "offer"
rohar
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ May 3 2011, 09:53 PM) *

If she comes by on Sunday, lets not say anything about the "offer"

I gotta be back home Sunday morning so your secret's safe with me. That said, I'm leaving my wife at home, driving all the way across the state dragging 10 lbs of absurd meat to a tranny party so there's that.
6freak
..Wont be long now ...if you can bring a table and chairs ....I have a good amount of bench space but if you can fit it in bring it ....there will be some refreshments on site ,water, coke ,diet coke, sprite,,
so bring your your own booze .. drunk.gif .and please stay the nite if you have to

chowtime.gif chowtime.gif chowtime.gif chowtime.gif lol-2.gif aktion035.gif chair.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif biggrin.gif beer3.gif KMA.gif drunk.gif barf.gif grouphug.gif poke.gif yellowsleep[1].gif slap.gif stirthepot.gif shades.gif screwy.gif smash.gif
DNHunt
I got some beer covered. I got a deal on 3 or 4 cases of a local brew. Can I bring that stuff over on Friday evening?

Dave

Loser_Cruiser
I saw this question aske but didn't see an answer, do what do we need to bring besides transmission and transmission parts? Tools?
6freak
QUOTE(Loser_Cruiser @ May 4 2011, 09:13 AM) *

I saw this question aske but didn't see an answer, do what do we need to bring besides transmission and transmission parts? Tools?

bring what you like .....Mike brings all the spiecal tools and i have enough to get use by ......maybe bring a parts ben and some cleaner ..there will be some there already ..but more wont hurt ......I have latex gloves for everyone

dont forget a sleeping bag and pillow ....If you get drunk your car will not start because i care about my friends
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(6freak @ May 4 2011, 09:39 AM) *

dont forget a sleeping bag and pillow ....If you get drunk your car will not start because i care about my friends and I wouldn't want any of you assholes to run into them dry.gif

Wow Mike, That seems a little harsh biggrin.gif
6freak
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ May 4 2011, 11:33 AM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ May 4 2011, 09:39 AM) *

dont forget a sleeping bag and pillow ....If you get drunk your car will not start because i care about my friends and I wouldn't want any of you assholes to run into them dry.gif

Wow Mike, That seems a little harsh biggrin.gif

all is well that ends well ........ you know im not trying to be mean ....I love you jonny wub.gif its because i care ................but do what you will your a big boy

who`s gonna be the drunk guy that spins donuts in the field with his 914 driving.gif
JRust
That's funny Mike as there is always some dipshit that decides to do donuts or peel out in our host hotels parking lots dry.gif . We'll all beat the crap out of anyone who's dumb enough to try it at your place slap.gif . We all appreciatte you willing to host & can't wait aktion035.gif
Loser_Cruiser
I'm super anxious! Hope I can fit two transmissions in my 911 somewhere lol.

Ps. Jamie, don't forget smile.gif
6freak
[ . We'll all beat the crap out of anyone who's dumb enough to try it at your place slap.gif . :

2 funny
I was just gonna give him or her the (that guy award) and a pillow and sleeping bag so they can sleep it off piratenanner.gif av-943.gif

remember we love wub.gif
championgt1
Mike, did you get the workbench......I mean ping pong table? biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
smash.gif

Only days left!

smash.gif
rohar
Beef ribs just went in the bath. They're bigger than I remember.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Loser_Cruiser @ May 4 2011, 12:32 AM) *

pulled my side cover off, took some pictures. Anything abnormal?

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

sorry if the pictures are crap, I only had my cell phone

Those pics suck, but things look good enough. The input shaft seal is roached. No biggie.
Eddie914
I'll be there! I am bringing three transaxles.

Can I pay there or do I need to pay in advance?

The gearboxes I am bringing:

1.) This transaxle came in my teener when purchased in 2003 mated to a carbed 2.7L six. It is a tailshift transaxle that was converted to sideshift by the previous owner. It was supposedly rebuilt. It ran quiet and shifted well. The 2.7 was replaced with a 3.2 in 2006. In 2008 this transaxle began whining in 3rd gear. Oil changes revealed lots of gold colored debris. There is also a pulled stud for the sideshift console (previously repaired with a helicoil).

2.) Sideshift transaxle bought as a spare. Installed in 2008 when #1 started getting noisy. This unit ran quiet and shifted well other than 2nd gear synchromesh was a bit weak. The speedometer drive gear punched a hole in the rear case in March 2011. 1st and reverse were no longer operable. The oil revealed lots of gold colored debris. The drain plug magnet was full of silver/grey material.

3.) Sideshift transaxle bought locally in March 2011. Resealed and installed for testing purposes. Runs quiet and shifts well EXCEPT first gear does NOT engage fully. The ring and pinion look good. The oil looked fairly clean. The drain plug magnet contained a fair amount of silver/grey material.

I am hoping to be able to make one good gearbox and possibly one spare.

See you there ... if I can remember how to get to Mikes!

Cheers,

Eddie
Loser_Cruiser
Thanks Dr. I was holding a lamp and taking the pictures with my iphone smile.gif So excite!
JRust
QUOTE(Loser_Cruiser @ May 4 2011, 01:12 PM) *

I'm super anxious! Hope I can fit two transmissions in my 911 somewhere lol.

Ps. Jamie, don't forget smile.gif

Yeah I've got it all ready to go. It will be in my big ass stack of transmisions I'm bringing

Hey does anyone have a working 3 port fuel pump they can bring along? I need one that doesn't leak for my LE
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.