and the new part in place
michelko
michelko
michelko
last one
have a nice weekend

IPB Image
Root_Werks
Your work is stunning! IPB Image Thanks for posting all the great pics! Keep them coming! IPB Image
xsboost90
rocking nana.gif wow and i was all happy cuz i welded up one hole!!!!
jet1
this is one of the best step by step rust repair topic threads I have come across! great work! I hope this ends up in the classics. IPB Image
Gint
IPB Image

Keep those pics comin!
Quebecer
Fabulous work !!!

You're an inspiration ! pray.gif
michelko
Thanks together for the flowers.
These cars are realy inspirating w00t.gif ,
Wish i could work the whole day at it. Unfortunately must have a job to buy all the nice restoration stuff und some beer beerchug.gif

I hate the winter in germany. It`s just to cold to go to the garage.
Can`t wait for springtime

smilie_flagge6.gif

sean_v8_914
beerchug.gif
what was your cost of materials?
thanks for teh inspiring pictures
riverman
Awesome thread smilie_pokal.gif . I am in the middle of a very similar repair (see pic) and I found your posts very interesting and informative. As daunting a job as this can be, I'm finding it to be more fun than I've had in a long time.

I'm not going for a show car in the end, just a driver so I'm making most of my patches instead of buying them. To ensure adequate strength when I'm finished I'm installing the Mayeur stiffening kit.

Thanks for sharing.
riverman
Driver's side nearly done. Not as much initial damage.
michelko
Havn´t count the total amount till now.
Big parts were
AA Repairpanel 245,- $ plus shipping plus duty for germany (complete 330,- Euro)
a pair nos outer longitudinal 55,- Euro (approx. 60$)
a pair new door sills 75,- Euro
mig-welder, bottle of gas 300,- Euro
can weldable primer 25 euro
can epoxy primer 29 Euro
pice sheet metal 15 Euro
some standard tools like hammer, angle-grinder, etc.
and much much time, but its a funny thing to work at the car and see it getting healthy again.

smilie_flagge6.gif
michelko
hey another one on the rescue smilie_pokal.gif

Iwill also install a stiffening kit. I ordered engmann´s very nice parts.
i forgot to list this parts in the former thread 157,- Euro for the parts plus shipping and duty.

Have fun with your restotation an alway head up clap.gif

smilie_flagge6.gif
SpecialK
ohmy.gif Absolutely incredible work!
michelko
Hi guys,
this winter sucks. -7 °C no fun to work in the garage.
Here is a pic from some minor progress. Unfotunately i ran out of (welding) gas, half the work done. ar15.gif
That give me some time to clean upparts of the floor pan.

Next weekend welding goes on (hope so)
michelko
sorry for the bad quality, got the wrong pic!

This one should be better.
michelko
and here is the rigt side fllor ready to get treated with some rust protective stuff (por15)

smilie_flagge6.gif
Root_Werks
I love following this thread! smilie_pokal.gif
MecGen
Hey
Amazing thred...just did my tub with Por15 yesterday !!
I spoke with the distributor about this product... I bought the whole kit, Marine clean (amazing cleaner), Metal ready, Por15, Por sealer, Por pre-primer - etcher stuff, I forget the name. I have a friend that works with a "special" industrial paints, and he swears up and down that I must use the whole line, some other substitutes will work buts never been tested or fine tuned to blend one with the other. I have amazing first quick check results so far, looks good.
I am in the process of rechecking my factory specs on a A+ frame machine, then welding the inner kit as you have,
Wish you all the best with this AAA+++ thred.
Have a beer
Prost
Joe

beerchug.gif
mr914
pray.gif You are a professional pray.gif

I am only a seasonal weekend warrior beer3.gif

I am going to/or at least planning to do similar work on #269 headbang.gif
michelko
Hello together,
the story goes on. Bought a new bottle welding gas yesterday.
Finished the part under the door hinge.
michelko
second part
michelko
nother angle
michelko
nother
michelko
door sill
michelko
front welder.gif
michelko
whole part welded
michelko
testfitting of some repro sheet metal. not realy good, but some smash.gif and it should fit just fine
michelko
sefhwh
michelko
and the door in
michelko
have a nice weekend

smilie_flagge6.gif
michelko
Hi there,
here again some progress biggrin.gif

Today i welded the sheet metal that hold the jacking donut. Don´t know the right expression for it. Check out the pic´s.

michelko
nother view:
michelko
top view
michelko
just have to grind down the welding spots and weld on the old donut ( after its cleaned and rustfree).

I also fabricated a new aluminium sheet for dash face. Fits just nice. The box cover is already coverd with the new vinyl.

smilie_flagge6.gif
SpecialK
Absolutely amazing thread.......and work!!

Rust doesn't scare you a bit michelko! ar15.gif

You Da Man! beer.gif
william harris
Thank you for this amazing progress thread!! beer.gif
rick 918-S
icon_bump.gif Nice work! clap.gif
rhodyguy
great thread smilie_pokal.gif . did you locate/buy the triangular threshold supports as individual pieces? if so, where? i need some and don't want to buy the whole outer long just to cut them off.

k
michelko
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 13 2005, 07:11 AM)
great thread smilie_pokal.gif . did you locate/buy the triangular threshold supports as individual pieces? if so, where? i need some and don't want to buy the whole outer long just to cut them off.

k

I got this part from an ebay auction. The guy build it scratch.
I know another guy in germany who fabricate them without the radius.
This was 25 Euro the pair.
Did you check restoration design homepage?

smilie_flagge6.gif
Katmanken
I just cut off the old one, traced it onto a piece of thick sheet metal, and cut out the profile.

Tacked the sheet metal profile onto the top of the old plate and hammered away (into the dipped area) with my ball peen body hammer until the two profiles matched perfectly and nested together. Used some dollys for support on the back side of the original, particularly where the original was thin. smash.gif

Bent the edge using the hammer and vise trick. smash.gif smash.gif

A little smoothing hammer and dolly work, and it was perfect. Cut off the cup, derusted it and welded into place on the new part. Primed, clamped and welded into place.

michelko
Hi everybody,
today i did some cleaning the part under the hell hole. Step one : sanding down the worst dirt ans rust. Step two : Cleaned up with Marine clean. Step three: Used metal-Ready. Step four: Painted the glove box with Por15 laugh.gif .
I let work the metal-Ready thing a day or two, then the part under hell hole will be painted with por15.
michelko
nother view
michelko
and the box #1
michelko

smilie_flagge6.gif

Have a nice weekend!
rhodyguy
i called R.D. some time ago about purchasing just the supports and the caping piece on the end. couldn't be done, it was the whole long or nothing. i've considered your method as well ken.

k
michelko
I also tryed to contact R.D. three or four times. Never got any reply. sad.gif .

I ordered then the needed parts by an german dealer (Mittelmotor). Took about 3 month till they delivered the parts.

smilie_flagge6.gif
CptTripps
Ditto here...

I've tried R.D. Twice and even left messages saying "I want to buy something from you. I now what I want, all I want is for someone to call me and take my money." Nothing...

That's a crying shame.

Your work is fantastic michelko!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.