Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: diggin into hell
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
michelko
Hi together,
since the weather is realy good the last days, its realy funny to work on the car.
I made some big progress. Watch the pic´s.

first : engine shelf
michelko
#2: nother view. as you can see, i did some cleaning and grinding on the fire wall.
Someone sprayed a black material on it and covered that with the blue paint. Unfortunately the metall was rusted (surface) in uncountable places.
michelko
i will treat the whole metal in this area a second time with metal ready, just for sure.
pic #3 : battery tray held in place
michelko
#4 nother view
Root_Werks
drooley.gif Sweet mother of metal replacement! ohmy.gif That is some amazing work! Talk about saving a teener! Wow! smilie_pokal.gif
michelko
I am not sure if i should grind down that long welding seam arround the tray or leave it as it is confused24.gif

smilie_flagge6.gif
Root_Werks
I just replaced the engine shelf on my 914. Little tacs about an inch appart. I ground them flat. most of them only needed a little touching anyway, but after painting it, they almost disapear. So yeah, I would do it. Looks cleaner.
michelko
can´t believe how fast that shit is rusting again. That seam is just half a year old. ohmy.gif
Lou W
Michelko, Looks great, your work has me motivated to start my rust repair, I just got both of these sent to me this week.
Lou W
and this one biggrin.gif
TravisNeff
If it were me, I would grind down that bead flush - You are doing everything on the car where you cannot tell it is different than how it came from the factory - why leave large telltale signs now?
michelko
Hello together,
today i made again big progres.Closed the firewall and welded in the last part of the engine shelf. Did some grinding, and metal ready.
michelko
the shelf
michelko
Anybody knows if its normal that the metal readyed surface gets whit after washing with water confused24.gif
michelko
the engine seal in place
CptTripps
As always....outstanding work.
michelko
Fire wall from inside
michelko
last one, down under.

have a noce weekend

smilie_flagge6.gif
Gint
QUOTE (michelko @ Mar 26 2005, 09:11 AM)
Anybody knows if its normal that the metal readyed surface gets whit after washing with water confused24.gif

Yes, it's normal. Until it all washes off that is. But you'd have to have it out in the rain for that to happen. BTDT.
michelko
QUOTE (Gint @ Mar 26 2005, 08:38 AM)
QUOTE (michelko @ Mar 26 2005, 09:11 AM)
Anybody knows if its normal that the  metal readyed surface gets whit after washing with water confused24.gif

Yes, it's normal. Until it all washes off that is. But you'd have to have it out in the rain for that to happen. BTDT.

Can i paint this white areas with por 15 or should i wash them again and again??
Would the por15 hold perfect on this surface?

Thank you.

smilie_flagge6.gif
Gint
The metal ready is supposed to be rinsed off (I think). So you probably want to apply it and then clean it all off before applying POR15. It would probably be best to follow the instructions. I don't know exactly what they are off the top of my head.
cdmcse
Metal ready is supposed to leave a zinc phosphate coating on the metal (the white stuff). I rinse it off until there is just a slight white residue left on the metal and it has worked pretty good.
SirAndy
QUOTE (cdmcse @ Mar 26 2005, 07:04 PM)
Metal ready is supposed to leave a zinc phosphate coating on the metal (the white stuff). I rinse it off until there is just a slight white residue left on the metal and it has worked pretty good.

agree.gif white means it's working!

you only need to rinse it off with water once, after that you can prime/paint over it ...
wink.gif Andy
McMark
Happy Birthday Mr. Metalworker! birthday.gif
michelko
QUOTE (McMark @ Mar 30 2005, 09:05 PM)
Happy Birthday Mr. Metalworker! birthday.gif

tHANK YOU VERY MUCH!!
Jeroen
Gluckwunsch am Geburtstag!
beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Mar 31 2005, 04:06 AM)
Gluckwunsch am Geburtstag!
beerchug.gif

Yeah, what he said! laugh.gif beerchug.gif
CptTripps
Kein Amerikaner kann wie ein Deutscher trinken! Ich nicht. Haben Sie ein für diese Kerle.

:: At least that's what the little translator do-hickey told me to say ::

Happy Birthday! (There...in English!)
michelko
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Mar 31 2005, 08:22 AM)
Kein Amerikaner kann wie ein Deutscher trinken! Ich nicht. Haben Sie ein für diese Kerle.

What?? confused24.gif

Thank you!! I wish i could spend you al guys some beerchug.gif

I love this side.

smilie_flagge6.gif
michelko
QUOTE (michelko @ Mar 31 2005, 09:23 AM)

What?? confused24.gif

I love this side.

smilie_flagge6.gif

should be "site"
my english is not he best.

smilie_flagge6.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (michelko @ Mar 24 2005, 01:38 PM)
can´t believe how fast that shit is rusting again. That seam is just half a year old. ohmy.gif

bare metal will rust start rusting within hours if exposed to moisture.
and knowing where you live, i don't think there's any shortage of moisture during the winter time ...

biggrin.gif Andy
SirAndy
What?? confused24.gif

he's trying to tell you that he thinks germans can drink pretty much any american under the table and that you should drink a beer or two for the guys over here in the land of no alcohol until 21 wacko.gif ...

beerchug.gif Andy
michelko
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Mar 31 2005, 09:50 AM)
What?? confused24.gif

he's trying to tell you that he thinks germans can drink pretty much any american under the table and that you should drink a beer or two for the guys over here in the land of no alcohol until 21 wacko.gif ...

beerchug.gif Andy

okay, i can do this you , take some beer3.gif immediately.
michelko
must be something wrong with the keyboard, or is it me?

All they time there are missing words. again:

okay, i can do this FOR you , take some beer3.gif immediately

smilie_flagge6.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE (michelko @ Mar 31 2005, 09:25 AM)

What?? confused24.gif

I love this side.

smilie_flagge6.gif

should be "site"
my english is not he best.

smilie_flagge6.gif

No need to apologize for mis-spelled words on this site, they're everywhere rolleyes.gif .......and your English is waaaay better than my German. beer.gif

Fantastic work! And thanks again for taking the time to document your restore with pics! smilie_pokal.gif
michelko
Hi to all the 914 lovers,
this weekend no major upgrade on the restoration. Had to change Tires for a friend and starter for another. Welded in the jacking donut and did some cleaning on the "driver side hell hole". Looks good, just some surface rust.
michelko
should take the sharp pics huh.gif
michelko
driver side
michelko
michelko
michelko
michelko
have a nice weekend smilie_flagge6.gif
michelko
Hello,
so this weekend was welding time welder.gif .
Ihave done the battery tray, and sealed the complete area with por15.
#1 lower part welded in
michelko
nother angle
michelko
upper part with por15 on the underside. Once its welded in, there is no chance to seal this side right.
michelko
first coat por15
michelko
can you see the seam from the big sheet metal part?
After grinding and priming you can think the sidewall is one piece rolleyes.gif
michelko
down under
michelko
nice view
michelko
second coat por15
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.