Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muellers Honda V6 914 project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Mueller
QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 19 2018, 11:35 AM) *

agree.gif That being said these will work with the punches and press you have if you want to dimple dies them.

OUCH! Those are nice, but I don't see using them that often. Makes sense for a pro shop or someone doing a lot of that type of work.

I didn't notice until yesterday that they are pipe sized, so far that has not been a problem. I can buy used Greenlee punches on ebay or craigslist if I need a true tube diameter.
tygaboy
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jul 19 2018, 11:06 AM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jul 19 2018, 10:17 AM) *

Mike - I forgot to ask: What size holes are those? I have some dimple dies that you're welcome to borrow, if I have the right size.
That press is looks to be the same one I have and it should work fine, again, assuming I have the right size die.
Let me know...
Chris

The harbor freight punch set is for pipe sizes and most dimple die sets are for tubing sizes and won’t work.

Ah, yes, I forgot about that...
But maybe Mike did what I did and also got some tube size knock-out punches?

EDIT: Mike, you beat me to my reply. In any case, let me know if I can help w/anything.
JRust
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 18 2018, 09:58 PM) *

Need to trim the valance, not sure if I need to cut the bumper or not. A few Subaru guys have not needed to cut the bumper so I might get lucky.

My bumper is stock. I do have the renegade valance that pushes the air up in the center. No cooling issues at all with my NA motor. I'll be shocked if I have any with my new turbo motor. I'd think what you have there is enough. Although the upper holes you added won't get much flow unless you do more to direct air up there. Those will be pretty square behind the bumper. No sure the best way to force air to them. Something from the fog light grills like Chris mentioned maybe?
Chris H.
icon_bump.gif How's it going Mike? Had a chance to work on the car this week or no?
Mueller
Went up to Canada for 5 days, back to working on the car once home and recovered from traveling.

Radiator going in. 1st time using my HF sheetmetal shear, works great so far.

Even broke out the Clecos

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mueller
The bottom of the radiator is on rubber bushings that are on studs like the top have. To locate and stop the bottom of the radiator from moving there are 2 thru holes in the bottom shroud that are slightly larger diameter than the rubber bushings.

The blue bushings on the top I found in my junk drawer just like the bottom bushings.

Cardboard template I made, the curve matched up pretty darn good.
Now if I had them fancy Chris Baker tools....hahaha

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Looking good!! Started from the bottom now your here (On your radiator build) tongue.gif

Thats the same way I did mine. I like that electric sheer from HF, lots of power in that cheep tool!

Are you using aluminum or steel for the shroud?
Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 29 2018, 09:29 PM) *

Looking good!! Started from the bottom now your here (On your radiator build) tongue.gif

Thats the same way I did mine. I like that electric sheer from HF, lots of power in that cheep tool!

.040" (I think) aluminum, should have used a little thicker. It should be okay.... if course in my mind I'm already designing it differently for a future upgrade when I repair the rust in the front trunk.
76-914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 29 2018, 11:35 PM) *

.040" (I think) aluminum, should have used a little thicker. It should be okay.... if course in my mind I'm already designing it differently for a future upgrade when I repair the rust in the front trunk.

As much reinforcement as you'll use in such a small area you could go .032"-.028". FYI, Aircraft Spruce will usually cut and ship the same day. LMK if you need anything for rivet work. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 29 2018, 07:41 PM) *

The bottom of the radiator is on rubber bushings that are on studs like the top have. To locate and stop the bottom of the radiator from moving there are 2 thru holes in the bottom shroud that are slightly larger diameter than the rubber bushings.

The blue bushings on the top I found in my junk drawer just like the bottom bushings.

Cardboard template I made, the curve matched up pretty darn good.
Now if I had them fancy Chris Baker tools....hahaha

Click to view attachment

Hey now! No fair proving that I don't need to be such a tool whore! laugh.gif

Mike, your build is looking good!
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 29 2018, 11:35 PM) *

Should be fine, When you box the sides it'll be plenty strong. I used 18ga steel because I was lazy. smile.gif
Mueller
Still adding the new wiring for the up front fuel pump and radiator fans.

New ECU mounted, I need to get a few higher amp relays, I was going to use a solid state relay, didn't like the spec sheet saying I may lose 1.5volts. Might run some test, we'll see.

The fuel pump and each fan will get a dedicated relay and a dedicated power fed. After I ran these wires I found a large enough and long enough wire that would be fine to replace all 3 in a cabinet. These will do for now.

Yes I know I need grommets to protect the wire covers.

I also removed the old stereo and alarm system. So far the motor cranks over when I turn the key, next will be the ECU wiring into the 914 starter circuit.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mueller
I have 914 with a running engine again!

Now to clean up the wiring and the cooling system. Then put the suspension back on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDr4ctNF08A
Andyrew
WOW! That was way to quick and easy.... Congrats!!
Chris H.
Wow that thing runs smooth! You'll be driving it in no time.
76-914
piratenanner.gif smilie_pokal.gif pray.gif
tygaboy
cheer.gif
Wow - that was fast! You need to drive it over to my place and help get mine to make running noises!

Seriously, what a great milestone, Mike. Big congrats! smilie_pokal.gif
ValcoOscar
Gee Mike..you make it look easy. Sounds sweet piratenanner.gif
You may start a new 914 engine swap trend.

Nice to see your car making such progress.

Job well done.

drunk.gif

Oscar
Mueller
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 12 2018, 09:47 PM) *

Got to admit it is nice running the factory Honda ECU, still has the OBD port (have not plugged into it to see if it works or not)

If I do decide to go with an aftermarket ECU, Haltech has a plug and play unit with maps already installed for stock motors.

mgp4591
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 13 2018, 09:18 AM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 12 2018, 09:47 PM) *

Got to admit it is nice running the factory Honda ECU, still has the OBD port (have not plugged into it to see if it works or not)

If I do decide to go with an aftermarket ECU, Haltech has a plug and play unit with maps already installed for stock motors.

You can go aftermarket but for an upgrade to your stock ECU it's a quick fix and it'd probably give you more power than you'd ever need with the same reliability of a stock Honda. I worked with them for years and it's a hard setup to beat! Congratulations on kickin' ass on this build!
Mueller
Needed some hose adapters for 1" to 1 5/16".

Hit up Lowes and broke out the solder and propane.

Beads came out okay.

Click to view attachment
rupert14
Great to see your build. I just bought a 914 (my 4th) from a forum member and I am having a shop do this same swap. I will be running a Mendeola trans and stock 3.5 just line yours. Do you think the throttle body would clear the firewall if the intake was swapped the other way? I am trying to minimize the amount of cutting in the trunk. I realize it will need a fair amount of fabrication anyway as I plan to have the rear shock towers tied together.
JRust
Congrats Mike. That is great to see
Mueller
QUOTE(rupert14 @ Aug 19 2018, 12:01 PM) *

Great to see your build. I just bought a 914 (my 4th) from a forum member and I am having a shop do this same swap. I will be running a Mendeola trans and stock 3.5 just line yours. Do you think the throttle body would clear the firewall if the intake was swapped the other way? I am trying to minimize the amount of cutting in the trunk. I realize it will need a fair amount of fabrication anyway as I plan to have the rear shock towers tied together.

I bought a Marine intake manifold, have not tried it yet but it is shorter and puts the TB up near the motor "V" ($60 shipped on ebay)

This would put the TB up near the cabin firewall.

Make sure to have a build thread, would love to see a "pro" build....I'm a hack and a half sawzall-smiley.gif

Click to view attachment
Mueller
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 19 2018, 01:29 PM) *

Congrats Mike. That is great to see

Thanks, won't be half as nice or clean as your conversion(s)!

rupert14
That's a great idea! I will be running AC as well. Here is what I am starting with.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=331539

I needed a good builder car so I picked that up from Mike here on the forum. I have had Don in Phoenix do several engine/transaxle builds for my race cars including my Class 5 unlimited car. He is building me a Honda 3.5 and Mendeola for 12k, which is less than I can buy a 6cly Porsche motor for. His shop will also be doing the install. They put these 3.5 motors in VW busses monthly. He is an amazing builder and quite affordable compared to the CA prices.

www.donsbusbox.com is his website.

I am still debating whether or not to use the Renegade radiator system or Fab my own. I will be running Porsche 930 CVS on the mendeola and need something 28 spline on the outside. Mike has given me a bunch of great ideas and I'll be calling Patrick Motorsports to inquire about reinforced trailing arm mounts and trailing arms as well as upgraded outer CVS. I steel widebody kit is also on the list. I bought the complete classic auto air kit for a 74 914 and that will be going in with the Honda compressor as well. It's a pretty long list but we're moving on it fast so hopefully the build doesn't take too long. You are thread is giving me lots of great ideas. Keep it up. Know anyone that has driven one of these swaps before? Don can slap a low boost turbo on there making it a clean 400 hp but I really don't think I will need it. I am hoping to keep the car light which is why I did not make the jump to a LS motor.

Keep the pics coming
shoguneagle
NICE! NICE! NICE!
mepstein
Mike - I think you were really smart to jump ship on your original build and go with this plan. Sounds like you will have a car you can drive very shortly. A pretty build is nice but you don't see any of it when you are driving. driving.gif beerchug.gif
worn
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 12 2018, 08:36 PM) *

I have 914 with a running engine again!

Now to clean up the wiring and the cooling system. Then put the suspension back on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDr4ctNF08A

One month post to start! Wow. I mean that is amazing. Nice job. Have fun driving.
rupert14
Those motors polish up pretty good as well. Here is a pic of my Bag with a 3.5L Honda. I got tons of compliments. It was a screamer.
Mueller
QUOTE(rupert14 @ Aug 19 2018, 03:05 PM) *

That's a great idea! I will be running AC as well. Here is what I am starting with.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=331539

I needed a good builder car so I picked that up from Mike here on the forum. I have had Don in Phoenix do several engine/transaxle builds for my race cars including my Class 5 unlimited car. He is building me a Honda 3.5 and Mendeola for 12k, which is less than I can buy a 6cly Porsche motor for. His shop will also be doing the install. They put these 3.5 motors in VW busses monthly. He is an amazing builder and quite affordable compared to the CA prices.

www.donsbusbox.com is his website.

I am still debating whether or not to use the Renegade radiator system or Fab my own. I will be running Porsche 930 CVS on the mendeola and need something 28 spline on the outside. Mike has given me a bunch of great ideas and I'll be calling Patrick Motorsports to inquire about reinforced trailing arm mounts and trailing arms as well as upgraded outer CVS. I steel widebody kit is also on the list. I bought the complete classic auto air kit for a 74 914 and that will be going in with the Honda compressor as well. It's a pretty long list but we're moving on it fast so hopefully the build doesn't take too long. You are thread is giving me lots of great ideas. Keep it up. Know anyone that has driven one of these swaps before? Don can slap a low boost turbo on there making it a clean 400 hp but I really don't think I will need it. I am hoping to keep the car light which is why I did not make the jump to a LS motor.

Keep the pics coming

My engine came out of another 914 that did the conversion, I test drove it a few months earlier and was half-joking about wanting to buy the motor and parts and he said yes! Car was a blast, 1900 pounds, no window glass, fiberglass decklids and bumpers and stripped out wherever he could remove weight. (he kept the radiator setup since he is going with a turbo Ecotech, he used to have a V8 in there and is running the Renegade setup now)

There is another V6 Honda swapped 914 back East, super clean install on a 20K mile car! He flipped the manifold and welded the TB to the side.

Thread here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=272084&hl=

Nice bug, I saw one very similar at a VW show in Concord last year, I think he was from Nevada.
Dion
Great going Mike. That Honda purrs like a kitten! Man, what progress.
Fantastic.
rupert14

There is another V6 Honda swapped 914 back East, super clean install on a 20K mile car! He flipped the manifold and welded the TB to the side.

Thread here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=272084&hl=

Nice bug, I saw one very similar at a VW show in Concord last year, I think he was from Nevada.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reference. I will definitely look into doing the manifold modification. That looks great. I was thinking of using the stock exhaust manifolds as well because they sometimes give better bottom end. does it look like there will be room for the exhaust that way?

My Baja went to either LA or Vegas. I had two and sold them both withing a few months so I can't remember which one went there. Mine had a notched dog house up front to accomodate the fuel cell and radiator. You may have seen it.
Mueller
Looks like the headers just come down a little more than the factory manifold.

Click to view attachment
rupert14
Awesome. My previous system routed the exhaust under the pan on one side. I found some headers but they stick out to the side pretty far. From that pic it looks like they may just work great. I am also considering this radiator. I have used it before. Think it is overkill and just too much weight?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=htt...%2F263028298904

Or this one

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=htt...%2F301914245196

I will be running AC so I want plenty of capcity. ( I live in Arizona ). I did notice that you used braded line. That seems easy. I also plan to do the remote water pump like you did. How did you route your lines from the engine to the front?
Mueller
QUOTE(rupert14 @ Aug 20 2018, 06:39 PM) *

Awesome. My previous system routed the exhaust under the pan on one side. I found some headers but they stick out to the side pretty far. From that pic it looks like they may just work great. I am also considering this radiator. I have used it before. Think it is overkill and just too much weight?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=htt...%2F263028298904

Or this one

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=htt...%2F301914245196

I will be running AC so I want plenty of capcity. ( I live in Arizona ). I did notice that you used braded line. That seems easy. I also plan to do the remote water pump like you did[color=#FF0000]. How did you route your lines from the engine to the front?

Stock water pump, that is what the previous owner of the swap did. Going to go underneath the car like Renegade does.
Mueller
Slowly making progress, a little more radiator install work done yesterday. Hope to get the top shroud made and mounted this week.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Mike, you should probably change your user pic and user title. You're not keeping this one stock after all. wink.gif

--DD
Mueller
Progress...sorta...got a whole 4 rivnuts installed tonight sad.gif

Click to view attachment
FourBlades

Keep it going! piratenanner.gif

Little by little is what it takes sometimes.

John
tygaboy
agree.gif
Frustrating though it may be at times. One of my favorite sayings, of which I constantly remind myself when I look at my own glacial progress is:

A little pie is always better than no pie!

Chip away at it, my friend and before you know it: driving.gif
seanery
you did 4 rivnuts more than me today! smilie_pokal.gif
Mueller
Remember those rivnuts I installed earlier?

These plates will help hold the radiator I'm place, I will install foam between the plate and radiator.

I think 1/8" thick should be good enough.

Click to view attachment
Mueller
A few more pics of radiator install. Also bought a new to me large, old Atlas lathe made for Sears, Roebuck and Co. Not bad for $200.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

dan10101
Nice brackets, Looks pro.

I get to try out my clecos here in a couple weeks. woot!

I love the lathe, I found someone shutting down a business a few months ago. Lots of great equipment... starting at 5000... Ug.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 12 2018, 04:20 PM) *

A huge shout out to Cali914 (Harry)

Not only did he deliver the V6 to my home, he stuck around for hours helping me install it (I think he did more work than I did)

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Harry is such a good dude.
Mueller
I know I said I was taking a break on the 914 for a while, however I needed to finish this for some cuts I will need in the future.

I could have bought a premade stand from SWAG but I wanted to make it myself. All the aluminum is scrap that I've had for over 15 years!

I originally thought I could bolt the stand to the saw..didn't work out too well. (see 3 unused countersink holes)

Total cost was less than $20, I bought a bunch of the clamps on ebay for a really good price.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Mike - Love your bandsaw stand! I hope you get the same enjoyment out of making stuff as I do. It all adds up to making the car fab go faster/better.
Keep up the great work!
Chris
Mueller
Amazon to the rescue.

Found my Boge strut Bilstiens there.

The struts I soaked in straight vinegar for a bit to clean off the rust.
Plans are to paint them this Monday.

I also cleaned my garage on the drivers side of the 914 so I can finally access the front and rear suspension from the side finally, can now open the drivers side door all the way!

Click to view attachment

dan10101
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 20 2019, 10:04 PM) *

The struts I soaked in straight vinegar for a bit to clean off the rust.
Plans are to paint them this Monday.

Love to see the progress!

I get to do that this week. But I get to change the outsides, not the insides.

QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 20 2019, 10:04 PM) *

I also cleaned my garage on the drivers side of the 914 so I can finally access the front and rear suspension from the side finally, can now open the drivers side door all the way!

I can relate to this too. I just keep moving my mess around to make room.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.