Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muellers Honda V6 914 project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Mueller
Ideally I'd like the car to be up and running ASAP, however I think realistically I'm another month or 2 out.

I did decide to keep my side markers and turn them into blinkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqZL8A2vMUk

Cairo94507
Hi Mike,
Great progress. I like the side markers being blinkers. As small as our cars are the more lighting the better so people see and hopefully don't hit us.
Cheers,
Michael
jd74914
Sweet! Any initial impressions of the InfinityWire you can share?
Mueller
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jul 21 2020, 10:23 AM) *

Sweet! Any initial impressions of the InfinityWire you can share?

I have a love/hate relationship with the InfinityWire setup.

If I didn't have the radiator in the front trunk I would have mounted the Mastercell (inputs) and 1 Powercell (outputs) in there, that I think would have saved me some headache and install time. (they are rated for decently high temp) The system has so many features and options that they are really better suited for a vehicle with a lot more features like power windows, power doors. It can control on/off 12vdc or supply PWM signals (5% to 80% I think?)

The instructions and other videos are good, phone support is awesome. I have had a call a few times and every problem I had was resolved (operator issues, nothing major)

I was looking at buying the Ecumaster PMU16 right before I was offered the InfinityWire at a hard to pass deal. When I get to working on my '78 Volvo 242 I might revisit the idea of the PMU16 or similar. (Holley has great looking PDM , almost double the price)

https://ecumasterusa.com/products/ecumaster...t=8318139269181

jd74914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 21 2020, 01:30 PM) *

I have a love/hate relationship with the InfinityWire setup.

I was looking at buying the Ecumaster PMU16 right before I was offered the InfinityWire at a hard to pass deal. When I get to working on my '78 Volvo 242 I might revisit the idea of the PMU16 or similar. (Holley has great looking PDM , almost double the price)

That's where I am. I have an InfinityWire setup because the price was too good to pass up, and at the time nothing was even close to cost effective. A bit after I bought it ECUmaster unveiled their PDM. headbang.gif The part that really bugs me is that you need IW to supply the programming anytime it needs to be changed. They've been saying since 2018 that they would be releasing a package for user's to program, but that still doesn't exist... I would far rather have something user programmable which is in a single box, but that means spending more money, etc.

Glad to see it working for you! smile.gif
Mueller
@tygaboy

Challenge accepted. smash.gif

All of my light controls (and future ignition/starting controls) are factory switches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cbiriMVVfQ

@jd74914

I just spoke with Jay @ Infinity, he said the diy programmer should be done in a few months, said the Covid thing messed it up from being released back in April.
burton73
Yep, you guys have all the cool stuff.

Be well!

Bob B
tygaboy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 21 2020, 02:37 PM) *

@tygaboy

Challenge accepted. smash.gif

All of my light controls (and future ignition/starting controls) are factory switches.

It's ON! laugh.gif

Mike - Looking very good! I really like those LED light boards. Maybe a future upgrade for me...
I am going to run the factory ignition switch as I want to retain the steering lock and have one key for the whole car. Keep up the great work!
dan10101
splat.gif

I'm getting dizzy...

neo.gif neo.gif
Retroracer
Great seeing the progress on this @Mueller ! Also interesting to watch two custom wiring installations on a teener happening in parallel.... (you and @Tygaboy )

- Tony
jd74914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 21 2020, 04:37 PM) *

@jd74914

I just spoke with Jay @ Infinity, he said the diy programmer should be done in a few months, said the Covid thing messed it up from being released back in April.

That's awesome-finally! Every time I've talked to Jay its been coming, hopefully this is it. Have to say I do like the guy, he responds so quickly/completely every time we've communicated.
Mueller
Nothing ground breaking, just doing a few small items on the car.
Made a battery hold down bracket.
Click to view attachment

I didn't care for the stock heavy aluminum intake manifold so I made an adapter to use the stovk Honda throttle body.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Wow, great work on the milled parts! Looks fantastic! pray.gif wub.gif
dan10101
Progress is progress. Keep nipping away at it!
Andyrew
Which manifold is that from? Lookin good smile.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 31 2020, 08:57 AM) *

Outboard motor smash.gif

I'm really pushing this water cooled conversion using boat parts.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mueller
Back to working on the cooling system. I had to tap the heads to clean up the M28 threads. No idea why the heads had the holes tapped im tje 1st place, these are the outlets going to the radiator.

I'll be using hoses instead of the stock Honda aluminum water manifold.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
76-914
Looking good Mike. Have you done your axels yet?
Mueller
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 20 2020, 07:40 AM) *

Looking good Mike. Have you done your axels yet?

Thanks...no, I have not installed the axles. I need to make an adapter for the larger CV joints (transmission side only since I have the larger stub axles on the trailing arms)
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 31 2020, 12:06 PM) *

Outboard motor smash.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Woah, What witchcraft is used to keep the crank lubricated on the top cyl journals and keep the oil out of the cylinders on the bottom?
76-914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 20 2020, 10:20 AM) *

Outboard motor smash.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Woah, What witchcraft is used to keep the crank lubricated on the top cyl journals and keep the oil out of the cylinders on the bottom?

There is a write up in Apple News about that very same thing. Might have been in the Popular Mechanics section. Multiple & separate head thermostats on the Marine version as well. The guy in Alaskan waters Has different cooling needs than the guy in the Caribbean. beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
Looking good Mike! Keep up the 914 therapy!
dakotaewing
Looking for one of these?

https://www.racetronix.biz/p/y-block-male-1...black/yblk-1616
Andyrew
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 20 2020, 08:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 20 2020, 10:20 AM) *

Outboard motor smash.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

There is a write up in Apple News about that very same thing. Might have been in the Popular Mechanics section. Multiple & separate head thermostats on the Marine version as well. The guy in Alaskan waters Has different cooling needs than the guy in the Caribbean. beerchug.gif

I'll have to look that up, Very crazy!! Imagine installing an engine like that in a car!
Mueller
Have not touched the 914 in a few weeks, other projects around the house and such.

Decided to make my own "wye" fitting today. It also gave me a chance to learn how to threadmill NPT threads. These are 3/4-14 NPT for the fittings to connect the hoses.

It will be 2 inlet and 1 outlet going to the radiator.

The video is showing my machine cutting the threads. The same cutter can cut multiple thread pitches, internal and external.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azz8zstPheM

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Thats pretty trick how it mills the threads one at a time!

How difficult is that to program and setup?
tygaboy
Mike - Thanks for posting stuff like this. I love your build and your "do whatever it takes" attitude. Your one-of-a-kind parts like this are like sprinkles on the frosting! drooley.gif
Keep up the great work.
horizontally-opposed
That is a pretty cool video—thank you for posting it, and I too dig this thread.

Keep it up, Mike—the car is going to be super cool when you get it running. That engine sounded great in Harry's 914.
Mueller
Not the most ideal material, didn't have any copper and I'm tired of spending money on this car so aluminum will do for now.

Need to see if I have some delrin or see if my 3D printer still works to make a cover for it.

The 3 large 12vdc lines are for the starter (1) and the other 2 go to the Powercells.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Krieger
Wow! Great design and super clean look.
Coondog
Nothing wrong with aluminum as a conductor....looks great.
76-914
QUOTE(Coondog @ Sep 24 2020, 10:07 PM) *

Not unless your house was wired with it. Granted it wasn't the material but the installer. You as a fireman probably know this all too well.
Mueller
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 25 2020, 01:57 PM) *

Not unless your house was wired with it. Granted it wasn't the material but the installer. You as a fireman probably know this all too well.

Our home AC is wired using aluminum wire, the circuit breaker kept tripping until I realized the at the box was loose. A few turns till nice and tight and no more problems.

I did look up the charts for bus bar ampacity and figured this thickness should be fine for the 914.
Mueller
Exhaust is back on, took some trial an error finding the correct gaskets from the headers to the down tubes. Finally found an online catalog for Walker.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The cooling system is all done, tomorrow I hope to fill it and test it. It was recommended that I drill a few small holes in the thermostat. I am using an inline unit.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

In order to fit my throttle body I needed to counter bore the adapter for 2 of the screws.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
76-914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 25 2020, 02:28 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 25 2020, 01:57 PM) *

Our home AC is wired using aluminum wire, the circuit breaker kept tripping until I realized the at the box was loose. A few turns till nice and tight and no more problems.

I did look up the charts for bus bar ampacity and figured this thickness should be fine for the 914.

Mike, this is the exact situation that caused the fires. Loose connections caused arcing. Arcing caused black sooted buildup which in turn causes high resistance and heat build up to the point of ignition. The preventative fix is a cheap compound that electrical supplies will have. IIRC, it is called No-Lox or something like that. Coat the wire ends at wire nuts or other junctions. It will prevent arcing. We used the stuff when changing out electric water heaters but I haven't seen any aluminum wiring in years so we no longer carry it. beerchug.gif
Maltese Falcon
Machinist extraordinaire!
Gint
agree.gif I've always enjoyed seeing what Mike was turning out of bare stock.
rick 918-S
welder.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif we need a new Meuller emoji
One that is operating a lath

hcdmueller
New houses in my area went to stranded AL wire for 220v circuits. The solid copper is too expensive I guess. A corrosion inhibitor is a must in that situation. We noticed the lights dim when the AC kicks on less than a year into our house. Guess what the builder didn't do to the 220v connections. In the end I had to clean up all the connections in the circuits and add the NOALOX. Not sure how a 12v connection would hold up, but seems like cheap insurance.

Great build, I love the Honda v6. Eventually I'll stuff one in a Bay bus.
Mueller
The PO of my 914 told me the transmission is in need of internal work, I'm going to drive as is for now. (Once I do drive it)

However this 2014 WRX 5 speed with 30K miles just happened to go up for sale not too far from me. I hope I can sell the rear diff to offset the cost.

Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
^^ practically bolts to my Nissan motor, so maybe you'll be as lucky. Only a 32mm thick adapter plate and a little machining to the Suby flywheel. A Nissan truck clutch slave bolts on and is lower profile.

The center diff is usually worth a bit more then the coupler. But knowing you... you'll probably be machining your own, in which case I can use one smile.gif
Chris H.
Nice score Mike! Yes the center diff is one of the weak points on AWD cars so it's worth $$$ and you pull it out to convert to 2WD. I think I sold mine for $250 way back in 2012.
Mueller
We have a runner, Part 2.

Since the last time I posted the motor running I have done a few things that made me question whether or not it would ever run again.

Replaced vehicle wiring with Infinitybox CAN bus system.

Took apart the factory Honda engine wiring harness, removed a few feet from it due to it being too long. Also recovered all the wires.

Installed new intake manifold which required me to come up with a new way to control the throttle body. In the end I used a /6 throttle cable and made an adapter to screw on a short section of cable to attach to the Honda TB.

Next will be using the Amazon sourced cooling system vacuum purge and coolant refill kit to get all the air out of the system. So far no leaks.

Now to get insurance for it so I can register it to test it out on the street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhqoTxPJ7KQ

dan10101
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 28 2020, 06:03 PM) *

We have a runner, Part 2.

Awesome!! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
tygaboy
Mike - That is AWESOME!!! Great work all around. Can't wait to see it in person, and catching beerchug.gif aktion035.gif up with you at WCR.
Again, way to go, dude!
Coondog
Long time coming, congrats.
Chris H.
Nice work Mike! It sounds great.
ValcoOscar
Congrats Mike, I hope to see your car in person soon.
Stay Safe...

Click to view attachment
Amenson
So awesome, keep up the great progress!
Gint
smilie_pokal.gif Had to happen soon!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.