Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muellers Honda V6 914 project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 21 2020, 03:48 PM) *
Anyways, you'll have to upload the images again i'm afraid ...

Nevermind, found the pictures in the trash can.
rolleyes.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

dan10101
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 21 2020, 03:48 PM) *

Anyways, you'll have to upload the images again i'm afraid ...
dry.gif

No! not again! rolleyes.gif
Mueller
Mueller
Got the pressure regulator back together with the new seals from @pmb.
New hard lines installed for the rear brakes.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
cali914
your pedal should feel good with the hard lines and new seals. looking good mike
Mueller
^thanks!

I'd make more progress if I didn't spend sooooo much time looking for stuff in my garage.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
Great progress, I have a question about your Bilstein's ,,,Are those lower perches upside down ?? The old ones have a recess to hold the ring clip contained ..and the shoulder keeps the spring centered.. see pic beerchug.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 1 2020, 03:14 AM) *

Great progress, I have a question about your Bilstein's ,,,Are those lower perches upside down ?? The old ones have a recess to hold the ring clip contained ..and the shoulder keeps the spring centered.. see pic beerchug.gif

They are upside down. Sorry.
Chris H.
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 31 2020, 11:01 PM) *

^thanks!

I'd make more progress if I didn't spend sooooo much time looking for stuff in my garage.

Ain't that the truth. In addition to various tools I've lost a dowel pin and the woodruff key during my WBX rebuild. Luckily they are pretty universal and were only a few $ to replace. The originals will turn up someday since I put them "somewhere safe".

Keep at it Mike beerchug.gif !
Mueller
Dang it, they are upside down. I kept thinking to myself what a terrible design. Will fix that today. Thanks.
Mueller
Dang it, they are upside down. I kept thinking to myself what a terrible design. Will fix that today. Thanks.
mepstein
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 1 2020, 09:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 31 2020, 11:01 PM) *

^thanks!

Ain't that the truth. In addition to various tools I've lost a dowel pin and the woodruff key during my WBX rebuild. Luckily they are pretty universal and were only a few $ to replace. The originals will turn up someday since I put them "somewhere safe".

Keep at it Mike beerchug.gif !

I bought a couple of these with a 25% off coupon. They work well for my needs.
JRust
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 1 2020, 07:52 AM) *

I appreciate you doing something wrong every once in a while biggrin.gif . Makes me feel better when I sit there scratching my head why won't this go on. Then it finally dawns on me because I'm doing it wrong dry.gif . A pretty common occurrence unfortunately for me confused24.gif
scotty914
If it was not from 15 years ago, I would swear Mueller did not like the thought of my suby conversion. I could be wrong, but so many said it would not work, why cut an original car etc etc

76-914
QUOTE(scotty914 @ Apr 4 2020, 03:59 PM) *

If it was not from 15 years ago, I would swear Mueller did not like the thought of my suby conversion. I could be wrong, but so many said it would not work, why cut an original car etc etc

Oh they still say this. Surprising how many people this offends. evilgrin.gif
ValcoOscar
BTW... birthday3.gif Mike

Click to view attachment
Mueller
QUOTE(scotty914 @ Apr 4 2020, 03:59 PM) *

I probably did..how times change.

Thanks Oscar...I think,hahaha
Mueller
Tracing an electrical problem, it lead me to the wiper assembly.
Also notice the nice over spray on the ducting.

Even with the leaves cleaned out of the fan it does not turn easily. 1st time taking one apart to this level. Cast steel impeller from what it looks like in there. Wonder if a lighter fan with BLDC motor would work in there?

Picture does not show how filthy the other side of the wiper system is..nasty.

Did they really need 3 holes for the antenna cable?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
76-914
Mike, what are you doing for heat? Any AC plans?
Retroracer
RE: "three holes for antenna cable"

So I have the same three holes on my car; IIRC two of them were for hoses running to the engine intake to the carbon canister and back, routed down the rockers. Plus one for the antenna. Now in hindsight: I wish I'd welded all those shut before paint.... sad.gif

Good luck with the blower motor. I found a cheapish modern equivalent that needed some slight tweaks to fit.

- Tony
Mueller
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Apr 17 2020, 10:35 AM) *

RE: "three holes for antenna cable"

So I have the same three holes on my car; IIRC two of them were for hoses running to the engine intake to the carbon canister and back, routed down the rockers. Plus one for the antenna. Now in hindsight: I wish I'd welded all those shut before paint.... sad.gif

Good luck with the blower motor. I found a cheapish modern equivalent that needed some slight tweaks to fit.

- Tony

So right you are, I totally forgot I pulled those lines while I was installing my brakes. I kept them all so I can put them back later on in the build.

76-914,

While I would like to have both, poor planning on my side means I shall have neither for the short term.

For heat I could tap into my radiator lines and run a simple heater core, A/C will be a little more tricky.
rgalla9146

Mike I'm sorry to admit I've missed this until now.
Mad skills.....you don't take the easy path, that's for sure.
keep up the great work.
Mueller
Took the blower apart. Found a replacement Bosch motor for $84 or so.

I did get the blower motor to spin freely by cleaning it with Brake Parts Cleaner. I'm sure if I clean the commutators and oil the bearings it'll live for a while longer. (sometimes you can use a pencil eraser to clean commutators)

Put gas tank back in, new seals for the sending unit and filler.

Decided to work from front bumper back to rear of car for remaining work
Will be tackling the wiring inside the cabin next.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 22 2020, 10:56 PM) *

Took the blower apart. Found a replacement Bosch motor for $84 or so.

I did get the blower motor to spin freely by cleaning it with Brake Parts Cleaner. I'm sure if I clean the commutators and oil the bearings it'll live for a while longer. (sometimes you can use a pencil eraser to clean commutators)

Put gas tank back in, new seals for the sending unit and filler.

Decided to work from front bumper back to rear of car for remaining work
Will be tackling the wiring inside the cabin next.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Nice work on that motor and blower rebuild! IMHO the heater and fresh air system on the 914 is more complicated than the damn T4 motor...
Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 22 2020, 11:10 PM) *

Nice work on that motor and blower rebuild! IMHO the heater and fresh air system on the 914 is more complicated than the damn T4 motor...

It's those darn ring clamps and all those circular rings that are a pain.
76-914
Did you find any pencils or pens in the defrost ducts? If the slide control only moves half way then one has dropped in there. BTW, the white erasers clean better than the pink erasers. They have a little grit in the white ones. Keep after it. beerchug.gif
Mueller
Mueller
1st time on the ground with the new wheels and tires.
205/55-15 on 15x7 23.3mm offset

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
dan10101
That looks awesome! Love the deep dish.
Cairo94507
That's a nice fit. A decent amount of tire for a 914 narrow body. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
Yeah, baby! Those looks great, Mike!
It's coming right along... smilie_pokal.gif
Mueller
-----------
tygaboy
popcorn[1].gif

Watching with interest since I'm about to wire up, too. I'd be interested in hearing about the tools you use, where you source the little bits, etc.
Mueller
QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 10 2020, 07:31 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Watching with interest since I'm about to wire up, too. I'd be interested in hearing about the tools you use, where you source the little bits, etc.

These solderless terminals are from Digi-Key, I wouldn't waste my time and money on cheaper ebay/Amazon pieces. I'll post some pics later on comparing a few.

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
Andyrew
Wiring,

My favorite part! (Not!)

Im curious what fun little tools you are going to use for everything.. That notes paper looks really well laid out!
djway
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 10 2020, 02:37 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 10 2020, 07:31 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

These solderless terminals are from Digi-Key, I wouldn't waste my time and money on cheaper ebay/Amazon pieces. I'll post some pics later on comparing a few.

Click to view attachment

The Digi Key terminals are the only way to go. You should also get the corresponding male pieces.
I use the Tool Aid krimper
https://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-18930-Ratch...k/dp/B000K1CFXO
I have probably gone through 400 pieces in the last few years smile.gif
Mueller
76-914
Hey, where did the pic of the harness go? The harness didn't up in smoke did it? confused24.gif
Mueller
Got to run some bigger wire for the front power module, gave me a chance to use my $40 special crimper from Amazon. That is a #2 wire.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
cali914
Damn Mike what are you running 15 speaker 4 amp Bose stereo. 60amps seems like a lot. Looks damn good though. We fired up car got it running but the engine had a blown head gasket. Pulled it all apart and rebuilding thats life.
Mueller
QUOTE(djway @ May 12 2020, 09:12 PM) *

The Digi Key terminals are the only way to go. You should also get the corresponding male pieces.
I use the Tool Aid krimper
https://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-18930-Ratch...k/dp/B000K1CFXO
I have probably gone through 400 pieces in the last few years smile.gif

I have a Paladin Tools 1300 crimper with interchangeable dies.
76-914
Good God Almighty, Mike. Which sizing table did you use? w00t.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 29 2020, 03:11 PM) *

Good God Almighty, Mike. Which sizing table did you use? w00t.gif

I have another 70amps that I am going to daisy chain off the end of that line. I already had this cable and I'm tired of spending money on the car so I figured I'd use it.

I also have about 30 feet of 4/0 that is sitting in one of my storage units on the side of the house...that would have been overkill smile.gif
Mueller
Removed the rest of the seam sealer in the rear trunk.

Threw a 3.5 emblem on the back...

Cleaned injectors back to me.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mueller
Trimmed more sheetmetal, got rid of the sharp edges.

Click to view attachment

More wiring harness work, on table is stock engine harness.

Click to view attachment

After dissecting the harness I have each component separated.

Click to view attachment

Decided to do some PM and replace some gaskets, glad I took it apart. The water crossover tube from the water pump (front of motor) to the water manifold (rear of motor) has some rust so it'll be replaced. Luckily I can get a factory replacement for $20.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mueller
Infinitybox PDU's almost all done. Need to clean up the wiring. Tomorrow will be getting the engine harness back together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxQiTVPpKp0
914forme
aktion035.gif Great Progress
76-914
Wiring is always a hurdle. Getting close.
tygaboy
Nice work, Mike! I'm right there with you on the wiring "fun". That said, it really is satisfying when it works as expected, isn't it? cheer.gif

Are you targeting any sort of time frame to have the car running/driving?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.