Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muellers Honda V6 914 project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Mueller
QUOTE(dan10101 @ Apr 20 2019, 10:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 20 2019, 10:04 PM) *

The struts I soaked in straight vinegar for a bit to clean off the rust.
Plans are to paint them this Monday.

Love to see the progress!

I get to do that this week. But I get to change the outsides, not the insides.

QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 20 2019, 10:04 PM) *

I also cleaned my garage on the drivers side of the 914 so I can finally access the front and rear suspension from the side finally, can now open the drivers side door all the way!

I can relate to this too. I just keep moving my mess around to make room.

I've been getting rid of stuff, a junk man comes thru the neighborhood a few times a month....items tossed (not all)...Volvo 242 front bumper, flywheel, 2 pressure plates, 4 cylinder heads, a few starter sized DC servo motors, a 5HP 3phase motor plus much more. Took me all of last Sunday to do it. I was beat afterwards.

mepstein
Find a teenager to do the work. You do the directing. They do the lifting. Leaves you with energy for you and your family. Overpay them a bit so they want to help any time you call them.
rhodyguy
agree.gif sit in your chair and direct traffic. Divide wages by the number of hours or DAYS it takes you to recover from the strenuous activity. It will be a pittance. This may be the year I start farming out the lawn mowing to a couple twins in the neighborhood. One of my knees can't handle the 3+ hours and 3.2 miles of walking it takes anymore.
mepstein
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 21 2019, 11:58 AM) *

agree.gif sit in your chair and direct traffic. Divide wages by the number of hours or DAYS it takes you to recover from the strenuous activity. It will be a pittance. This may be the year I start farming out the lawn mowing to a couple twins in the neighborhood. One of my knees can't handle the 3+ hours and 3.2 miles of walking it takes anymore.

Let someone else do the grunt work. There is always more stuff to do in the yard.
Overpaying for work is a winning strategy. We overpay for kids to take care of our dog when we are away. They cancel their plans because they know they are getting paid well. It's not a lot more but more than the going rate. We have a kid stopping by today while we are going to family for Easter. A young teenager will get $20 for water and a quick walk. He lives 2 doors away so it's easy money for 15 minutes but lets us do our thing.

horizontally-opposed
Take care of yourself, Mike, so that you'll be around more Saturdays at EASY. I can't wait (but can) to see your car with the new engine, and your smile when you get out of it.
Mueller
Put a few hours in on the 914...

Took seats out to look at the floor, will know more when the tar comes off.

A few ugly holes....

The seats will be for sale....sans the rails.

The engine compartment looks like hell from the engine install...that'll be fixed in the future.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mueller
Working in the garage myself today. (Until called me in to take a break)
Taking the hubs out of the Boxster rear carriers.

The tube fits with the pads removed.

Right before I was called inside I finally started to get a stuck race off the hub. Bearing puller is junk and inside contact area keeps breaking.

I have had this aluminum tube for over 15 years, just recently was put into commission as a brush holder.
Click to view attachment

I put a socket inside of hub to hold the driven socket
From moving side to side. No press pressure on small socket or inside hub.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mueller
We got a pair!

Click to view attachment
thelogo
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 21 2019, 09:22 AM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 21 2019, 11:58 AM) *

Let someone else do the grunt work. There is always more stuff to do in the yard.
Overpaying for work is a winning strategy. We overpay for kids to take care of our dog when we are away. They cancel their plans because they know they are getting paid well. It's not a lot more but more than the going rate. We have a kid stopping by today while we are going to family for Easter. A young teenager will get $20 for water and a quick walk. He lives 2 doors away so it's easy money for 15 minutes but lets us do our thing.

WTF.gif

You cheap sob

Thats not overpaying ... The going rate for walk and water is 35 ...." pray.gif .conyo "( do we look like baggage handlers ?)
Mueller
Not sure what to do now.

The 986 hubs going to take a bit of work to get going. I need to find the width of the bearings, it looks like too much room between the hub and the 951 stub.

The plan was to make adapters to use the smaller 914 cv joints for a short time however they look beat to heck. I guess I can just drive slow to the car show in 3 weeks.

Anyone know the CVs used for the Renegade axle kit?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 5 2019, 10:23 PM) *

Not sure what to do now.

The 986 hubs going to take a bit of work to get going. I need to find the width of the bearings, it looks like too much room between the hub and the 951 stub.

The plan was to make adapters to use the smaller 914 cv joints for a short time however they look beat to heck. I guess I can just drive slow to the car show in 3 weeks.

Anyone know the CVs used for the Renegade axle kit?

Vw bus. I buy these. Note they make different shaft lengths. This is the same size as in the Rennegade kit.

SurTrack VW-8045 CV Axle Shaft https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DCO5ZGA/ref=cm...p_GVUHmrXuXxY72
Mueller
Thanks, will order tomorrow.
SirAndy
I need to find the width of the bearings, it looks like too much room between the hub and the 951 stub.

I thought the Boxster used the same wheel bearings as the 914?
idea.gif

Mueller
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 5 2019, 10:40 PM) *

I need to find the width of the bearings, it looks like too much room between the hub and the 951 stub.

idea.gif

It does. The bearing is 1.46" wide

The space between my combo is almost .25" wider.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 5 2019, 11:00 PM) *

idea.gif

Got it, that sucks ...
sad.gif

jcd914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 5 2019, 11:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 5 2019, 11:00 PM) *

idea.gif

Got it, that sucks ...
sad.gif

Would machining the hub shorter and adding a spacer to the nut side of the stub axle be an option?
Just take off enough to create the clamping necessary for the bearing.

Jim
Mueller

Would machining the hub shorter and adding a spacer to the nut side of the stub axle be an option?

Jim

Thought about that, it would make it more difficult to remove the stub axle since part of it is in the bearing.

If my research is correct, the 951 bearing is 5mm wider. (and bigger OD)
Mueller

Jim

That is an option I thought about.
914forme
Most of the time you just machine a spacer between the hub and the bearing, - problem solved PMS sells them also. Make sure you put it on the proper side, as it will change the flange placement in relationship to the old flange, moving the rotor accordingly and then affecting its relationship with the brake caliper also.

Lots of things going on that are placed via the hub, so make sure you measure calculate, and measure again to make sure you get this correct.
Mueller
QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 6 2019, 09:20 AM) *

Most of the time you just machine a spacer between the hub and the bearing, - problem solved PMS sells them also. Make sure you put it on the proper side, as it will change the flange placement in relationship to the old flange, moving the rotor accordingly and then affecting its relationship with the brake caliper also.

Lots of things going on that are placed via the hub, so make sure you measure calculate, and measure again to make sure you get this correct.

Thanks, I found a thread by Clay detailing what he did and now that I think of it I might have made SirAndy a pair of spacers 10 years ago or so.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 6 2019, 10:14 AM) *
Thanks, I found a thread by Clay detailing what he did and now that I think of it I might have made SirAndy a pair of spacers 10 years ago or so.

You did and i ended up not using them. Not sure what happened to them, they're probably in one of the boxes of stuff i left with McMark.
bye1.gif
914forme
Glad I could jog your memory a bit. beer.gif
ClayPerrine
I pulled the 944 turbo axles and stubs from my car. That includes the spacers.

Do you need them?

Clay
Mueller
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 6 2019, 12:30 PM) *

I pulled the 944 turbo axles and stubs from my car. That includes the spacers.

Do you need them?

Clay

Thanks, I think I am good now.
Mueller
Early morning surprise.

Mark Howard drove down in his beautiful 911 SC to drop off a pair of cleaned up and powder coated trailing arms. That is a 100 mile round trip for him.

I showed him the 914 and my shop and 20 minutes later he was headed back home. Thanks Mark. Now to get my tail out in the garage and make some progress.

Click to view attachment
cali914
Mike you have a 914 guardian angel.
914bub
Mike, I picked up that core 1.7 motor from you a couple years ago. Thanks again for that. It sounds like you're through your bearing issues but if not keep me in mind. I do a lot with bearings every day as I rebuild electric motors, gear boxes and pumps for a living. I know we get a better deal than anybody around here,(Modesto). I also have all the dimensional bearing charts and stuff to ID bearings.

Can't wait to see this done as I have the same 6 in my Honda pilot. I always thought that would be a great swap and I'm at 155k with only a routine timing belt/water pump so far. Those engines are awesome!

@mueller
Mueller
Hey 914 bub, yes I do remember you, recommended your shop for a motor rewind, they went with new instead.

John* is in the process of doing the bearings once he gets back from the store.

Anyone guess what I am making on the mill besides a mess?

*cannot think of his screen name right now.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mb911
Brake adapters?
worn
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 7 2019, 01:53 PM) *

Brake adapters?

Me, i am wondering why you have car parts on a magnetic stir pkate.
Mueller
Worked on the 914 today...

Was making progress until I put the front wheels on.
Studs too short.

Oh well. Will order some longer ones.

Boxster front calipers fit under the 15x7 Bbs-mahles luckily, today was the 1st time testing it out.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Mike - Awesome to see you're back working on your car!
Here's to a wonderful holiday season to you and yours. santa_smiley.gif
fiacra
I've been waiting to see an update! Glad you are back at it. I remember that you have AC in your garage, and I'm hoping you have heat as well! Let me know if you organize another work day.
Mueller
QUOTE(fiacra @ Dec 22 2019, 02:02 PM) *

I've been waiting to see an update! Glad you are back at it. I remember that you have AC in your garage, and I'm hoping you have heat as well! Let me know if you organize another work day.

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Dec 22 2019, 01:55 PM) *

Mike - Awesome to see you're back working on your car!
Here's to a wonderful holiday season to you and yours. santa_smiley.gif

Thanks, felt good working out there, been too long.

Not shown are the braided brake lines with banjo bolts for the calipers.

sixnotfour
popcorn[1].gif smilie_pokal.gif santa_smiley.gif
Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif beerchug.gif
MM1
Inspirational! popcorn[1].gif beerchug.gif welder.gif
Mueller
Happy New Year...1st day of 2020 and I am working on the 914. Not a bad start.

Test fitting Boxster rear hubs and calipers.

I took an old rear bearing and ground the ID and OD to make it slip fit for testing.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Look at that! 2020 starts with the proverbial "good day's work" and ends with what looks like a wonderful outcome!
Excellent, Mr. Mueller. Simply excellent. aktion035.gif
mb911
Looks great
Chris H.
Nice work Mike! Man I love those wheels. BTW I have a pretty large collection of coolant hose pieces, fittings, reducers, etc so once you get around to the final cooling system plumbing let me know what you need and I might have it.
Mueller
Like many around the World I have a few weeks to spend at home.

So after finishing a few jobs at home for the wife I am bacl on the 914.

Today I spent way too much time repositioning the jack stands under my car and fitting my Quickjack lift under it.

I also trimmed the too wide plastic bushings for the trailing arms.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Krieger
brain.gif holy mother of all duplicate posts lol-2.gif Cool lift though.
djway
Beer
Andyrew
Mike, ya gotta work on that stuttering problem wink.gif

Glad to see some progress!!! How are you feeling?
Krieger
Maybe I am wrong though. Is this you way of showing us you drank twelve beers?
Andyrew
QUOTE(Krieger @ Mar 21 2020, 07:11 AM) *

Maybe I am wrong though. Is this you way of showing us you drank twelve beers?

lol-2.gif
76-914
Is it too late to talk you out of those plastic trailing arm bushings? After 5 years of listening to squeaks and snaps I finally removed mine and replaced them with the rubber bushings. beerchug.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 21 2020, 09:27 AM) *

Is it too late to talk you out of those plastic trailing arm bushings? After 5 years of listening to squeaks and snaps I finally removed mine and replaced them with the rubber bushings. beerchug.gif

I cannot find rubber bushings, I tried the usual places.

Talk about duplicates posts...clean up on Aisle 2!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 21 2020, 01:09 PM) *
Talk about duplicates posts...clean up on Aisle 2!

@Mueller

Well that didn't work as intended. I removed the duplicate posts and when i got to the last one it also deleted the images from the first post.
Never seen that before.

Anyways, you'll have to upload the images again i'm afraid ...
dry.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.