Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muellers Honda V6 914 project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
r_towle
I saw you talking about going to the August show so I figured it's time to blow the dust off and get it running. I am excited to see you in a new to you 914
Mueller
The car is still across the street, however I have started to buy some items for the soon to happen motor installation.

$164 shipped from Rotary '14 , so far they look like nice parts.

Click to view attachment
A&P Mech
Mueller, what machine control software are you using? I put together a knee mill running a cnc4pc breakout board and Mach3 for software. It runs great. I can run at 30+ inches a minute with steppers. There is no need to learn c++ to interface Mach3.
76-914
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 31 2016, 09:12 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 30 2016, 10:39 PM) *

Update?

No real progress unfortunately, I did score some major brownie points with the wife by knocking out projects the last few weekends for her and my daughters.
That, most definitely, counts as progress. W/O that there can be no real progress!

I'll need to replace a few broken exhaust studs as well on the replacement motor, hope that goes better than the time I drilled into the combustion chamber!

Do tell. Day dreaming or did the bit catch and pull through? Were there any new curse words created at that moment?
Mueller
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Jun 25 2016, 06:34 AM) *

Mueller, what machine control software are you using? I put together a knee mill running a cnc4pc breakout board and Mach3 for software. It runs great. I can run at 30+ inches a minute with steppers. There is no need to learn c++ to interface Mach3.

I was using Mach with a PC as well, no longer going to use the Kflop for the motion controller since the Bridgeport is for sale , or it will be once I put it back together and get the cheaper controller working on it. I had to take the X motor and ballscrew out and remove the 300+ lb table to get the mill out of my workshop since I literally built the walls for the shop after the BP mill was placed on the concrete pad. headbang.gif

I am buying a new 4th axis mill, the 4th axis can do indexing as well as cordinated movements with the spindle for making stuff such as cams or cranks if i wanted to (model stuff of course) X is 18, Y is 10, Z is 14 (might be off on the numbers a little) 8 position automatic tool changer, flood coolant as well.

For the BP mill, I bought from banggood Chinese import CNC controller.

http://www.banggood.com/50KHZ-CNC-4-Axis-O...-p-1021134.html (I think I paid $158 shipped)

Not much out there on installs and use, so far one guy that did a router install a few months back.

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 25 2016, 07:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ May 31 2016, 09:12 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 30 2016, 10:39 PM) *

Update?

No real progress unfortunately, I did score some major brownie points with the wife by knocking out projects the last few weekends for her and my daughters.
That, most definitely, counts as progress. W/O that there can be no real progress!

I'll need to replace a few broken exhaust studs as well on the replacement motor, hope that goes better than the time I drilled into the combustion chamber!

Do tell. Day dreaming or did the bit catch and pull through? Were there any new curse words created at that moment?

Stupidity I'd say and rushing the job, I had a track event at Thunderhill the next day and screwed up while trying to drill the stud while under the car. I screwed up the head and ended up calling the wife and telling her I was going to go get brand new Kuhmo tires for her Volvo since that is what I was going to track instead! Turns out I had a blast in my run group in the family Volvo!

Wife also felt bad for me screwing up my 914 and bought me a '91 964 C2 a month later for my birthday. wub.gif
Mueller
Started to work on the 1.7 engine....

4 out 8 exhaust studs are broken, I started to spray them with a penetrate, next will be welding nuts to them and hopefully they screw right out!

I popped off the valve covers and it is very, very clean in there, no sludge. I drained the oil and it was nice and clean (for engine oil, hahaha)

Time to clean off all the tin from it sitting for a few years, and install L-Jet instead of the current D-Jet (so all the D-Jet stuff will be for sale)

Debating whether or not to pull the heads, I figure at this point it might not be a bad idea so I can do a quick inspection. I was a little surprised that it does not have the 911 swivel adjusters, no idea yet if these rockers can be modified for using them or not.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mueller
I am glad to see that it looks like the missing exhaust studs threads are in great shape, I see no signs of stripping or that they have been damaged before.
Mueller
Took heads and cylinders off tonight, didn't like how one side had more oil leakage than the other.

Measured the cylinders and they are 93mm which makes this motor a 1911, which is cool since I thought it was a 1700. Pistons and cylinders in great shape, not many miles on this motor at all!

I'll have to run the part numbers but I think they are stock cylinders bored out.

No 911 swivel foot adjusters which sucks. No idea what camshaft used, not sure if I want to pop off the oil pump to look for some markings on it or not.
G e o r g e
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 29 2016, 12:02 AM) *

Took heads and cylinders off tonight, didn't like how one side had more oil leakage than the other.

Measured the cylinders and they are 93mm which makes this motor a 1911, which is cool since I thought it was a 1700. Pistons and cylinders in great shape, not many miles on this motor at all!

I'll have to run the part numbers but I think they are stock cylinders bored out.

No 911 swivel foot adjusters which sucks. No idea what camshaft used, not sure if I want to pop off the oil pump to look for some markings on it or not.

93 and a 66mm crank make it a 1.8. you need 96's to get to 1911.
MartyYeoman
93 bore x 71 stroke = 1929cc. Maybe that's what Mike meant. confused24.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Jun 29 2016, 09:43 AM) *

93 bore x 71 stroke = 1929cc. Maybe that's what Mike meant. confused24.gif

QUOTE(G e o r g e @ Jun 29 2016, 07:55 AM) *

93 and a 66mm crank make it a 1.8. you need 96's to get to 1911.

Oops, I'm an idiot...oh well, I guess I have a 1.8 motor now after all.

G e o r g e
are the pistons dished or flat?

turning this into a 1911 would be an easy upgrade since you have the heads off. the 1.8 heads have the larger opening and you can use the same 96 cans as a 2 ltr, just get the short stoke pistons to fit your rods.
2mAn
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Oct 2 2015, 01:27 PM) *

I vote you do the custom drilled bolt pattern for the wheels!!

I second this!

2 sets of 4x114? One for me beerchug.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(G e o r g e @ Jun 29 2016, 02:19 PM) *

are the pistons dished or flat?

turning this into a 1911 would be an easy upgrade since you have the heads off. the 1.8 heads have the larger opening and you can use the same 96 cans as a 2 ltr, just get the short stoke pistons to fit your rods.

Dished....i'm trying to not spend too much money on this, the new piston and cylinders really start to add to the cost.
Mueller
July 1st update for Build-Off Challenge.

Took the motor out of storage and started to tear it apart for a camshaft swap, I will also be adding 911 swivel adjusters to the rocker arms.

Still undecided on fuel management right now. Waiting to see if Jake chimes in again on my engine build thread on what direction to go with it, I am open to all known good options.

Engine build thread.
Mueller
Figured I'd throw some of my engine rebuild pics here.

I will not be installing head gaskets like the previous builder did.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Last few pictures show the damages head gaskets, looks like uneven clamping or something odd with how they are only squished or deformed on the exhaust side (more heat?)

IPB Image
IPB Image

Mueller
Got some goodies in the mail today.

Real 911 swivel adjusters and a 4 channel CHT gauge with sensors!

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Leakdown test yet? For some reason those valves dont look like they sit flat...
Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 5 2016, 10:05 PM) *

Leakdown test yet? For some reason those valves dont look like they sit flat...

No test yet, I'm going to remove them all and inspect. Might be the picture (phone)
matthepcat
Can't wait until you put a turbo on this motor......come on....do it.
Mueller
Saved for future update..........
2mAn
Which MS setup are you using? Why are you trashing the old one? gimme gimme! I plan on setting up whatever 914 I get (broken record) on megasquirt as well and want to start collecting parts for it.
Mueller
QUOTE(2mAn @ Jul 13 2016, 01:41 PM) *

Which MS setup are you using? Why are you trashing the old one? gimme gimme! I plan on setting up whatever 914 I get (broken record) on megasquirt as well and want to start collecting parts for it.

V3 board with MegaSquirt-II daughter board controller.

The harness is sorta hacked together..I'm friends with the previous owner, he planned on building a new "proper" one, but got tired of spending time and money on the car once the motor popped.

FI , L-jet for now if it will work with motor combo.
Andyrew
Megasquirt would be perfect for a turbo motor smile.gif

I still have your old Megasquirt board you gave me many years ago somewhere smile.gif

Mueller
I failed miserably for the 1st Build-Off Challenge sad.gif

Anyway, back to some small progress. Recently received my new lifters, chromoly push rods and all the assembly lube and seal material sold by The Type IV store, I think I should replace my springs so I will bump my engine build thread for that question.

I made a plate to bolt my heads to so that I can mill out the broken exhaust studs.

The stud circled in red is just for a quick reference, I'll make sure the stud holes are aligned near perfect before milling and tapping.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Mueller
I finally have a 914 at my own house after almost a 10 year absence.

For the last year and half my latest one was stored across the street, finally pushed it home and I didn't even get a chance to "drive" it.....my lovely wife Sherryl had the honors of steering it.

I had a green Porsche script on it that I added to it a year ago, nobody in the family really cared for it the more we looked at it. I must have had the worlds cheapest paint job, much of the paint under the decal came off...oh well it needs new paint badly.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

r_towle
Slacker thread?
Krieger
Nice! Good to see things movin! beerchug.gif
Mueller
Pictures of ugly unknown brand headers.
tygaboy
Mike - Great to see it's back home!
Mueller
Drove up to Pet-a-llama and hung out with Chris (tygaboy) today for a few hours while he made a few tweaks to his car, he is pretty good with that tube bender!

Speaking of tube bending, this hoop just happened to find its way into the back of my truck courtesy of Chris...thanks man! I owe you.

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Mike - Always great to see you! I'll have to plan better next time and leverage your help.
It's certainly possible to mix and match tube sizes and wall thickness, particularly when the final product isn't going to have to pass any sort of tech inspection.
That said, unless there's some compelling reason beyond aesthetics, I'd keep everything 1.5".
I went with the .095 wall as that was spec'd for cars in the 914 weight range.
And here are the pics of the bolt in set up that I believe was done by Eric Shea.
Mueller
Thanks again Chris, much better pictures than viewing the thumbnails on your computer smile.gif

I talked to Tony at TC Design last night and he too confirmed what I was doing is "okay" however he did recommend all same size if I could do it. I forgot we hired a new mechanic at work and he has a side business building fast 1/4 mile and track FWD cars and I can get the tubing from him, $3 a foot, not too bad so a 10 foot section should do it.
Mueller
Drilled and tapped all the exhaust stud holes for Time-Serts.

Wondering if better than stock valves should be installed right now or not.

Will be installing dual valve springs for the bigger camshaft.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Mueller
The picture of the tube being cut is for a homemade valve spring compression tool I made today to remove the springs.

Mueller
Started to gather parts to rebuild/restore my ugly steering wheel. Ring for hockey puck horn button replica that I will be making from billet alum instead of the usual plastic. Pricey little sucker, found on eBay for $42 shipped, not sure if I like it now.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mueller
Drew up my version of a hockey puck horn pad. Waiting for the leather to show up. Not going with standard Porsche crest.

Click to view attachment
Mueller
Removed gas tank today, the rubber hoses just snapped in half so who knows how old the suckers are.

Car is much rustier than I thought it would was originally. Front trunk has a 'glass panel riveted in to cover a bunch of rust and missing sheet metal. Hell hole is gone and rust made it all the way down to the jack pad and long.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mueller
Finally test fit my new-to-me BBS wheels and measured the spacers the PO installed on the car to fit the old Phonedials.

I like the look of the too long studs on the front, might trim them down a little or remove and turn them so they are like the racing quick change studs.

Fronts have the 32mm spacer, rears are 32 bolt on spacers. (and will be for sale in the near future and I can make the rear into true slip-on spacers by removing the studs and drilling them out.

Rear fenders will need to be pulled a little more to fit when I put some tires on those rims.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mb911
Looking good.. Keep up the good work
Mueller
All these hoses look original to me, I'd like to replace....source for new ones?

I bought a new 914rubber master cylinder (I think I got the quick install kit but don't remember what parts came with it )

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 25 2018, 09:18 PM) *

Removed gas tank today, the rubber hoses just snapped in half so who knows how old the suckers are.

Car is much rustier than I thought it would was originally. Front trunk has a 'glass panel riveted in to cover a bunch of rust and missing sheet metal. Hell hole is gone and rust made it all the way down to the jack pad and long.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Wow, thats a lot rustier than I would have imagined! sad.gif

Fixable... but thats a PITA..

I mean that front gas tank area never gets rust..

Throw some patches over it and make it a driver??
Chris H.
Those wheels are PERFECT Mike. Love the long stud outlaw look. Sucks about the rust but you'll fix it. Those pre-'74 fuel likes crumble like pasta don't they?

If 914Rubber doesn't have the brake stuff you need maybe PMB Performance?

914forme
More than likely rusty from a couple of items.

Salt water - I hope not, or animal urine. More likely the latter.
Mueller
QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 26 2018, 06:19 PM) *

More than likely rusty from a couple of items.

Salt water - I hope not, or animal urine. More likely the latter.

I found out the car sat in a field for a few years before the PO bought it, then it sat in his front yard for a few years as well. We think the car could have been on the coast for a bit as well. I've owned for 2 years, no battery and fully covered.

Sh!t happens, I'll slowly fix it. I was telling the wife that with the amount of rust it has I won't feel guilty making small modifications to the car. She said fine do what I want as long as I don't add flares! hahaha

I love the new BBS/Mahle rims so this will remain a narrow bodied car for sure.
Mueller
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 26 2018, 06:17 PM) *

Those wheels are PERFECT Mike. Love the long stud outlaw look. Sucks about the rust but you'll fix it. Those pre-'74 fuel likes crumble like pasta don't they?

If 914Rubber doesn't have the brake stuff you need maybe PMB Performance?

Thanks, I like those extra long studs as well. I never planned to quite fit in will all the crowds smile.gif

I need to find all my new-to-me brake parts and put it together. Luckily the car had brand new rotors and pads on all for corners. I just need to clean off the rust on the rotors. I bought a set of PMB rebuilt front calipers and just need to figure out what I am going to do with the rear calipers. $325 for rebuilt units hurts...we'll see.

Krieger
I have not seen the plastic brake lines fail or crack unless it was crushed. There is no pressure in them unless you use a power bleeder. The hoses from the reservoir to the lines do fail and should be replaced. There is a a blue braided hose that is available for replacement. I bet PMB has it.
Mueller
My car does not have a front swaybar, never had one.

So I bought a stock 15mm bar, didn't realize it had no hardware until I committed to buy it, still think it was a good deal. This thing looks brand new so I am not complaining.

Spent a little time drawing up some parts for it while I wait for the garage to warm up this morning.

The idea is to make a 15mm ID by 24mm OD split spacer, (green parts, hard to tell there are 2 pieces there) this will allow me to use an Igus MFM2430-30 bushing (dark colored part) to replace the factory rubber bushings. These are <$5 each (accounting for shipping, I bought 6 of them)

Click to view attachment
Mueller
Had car professionally steam cleaned down in San Jose.
Co-worker gave me these prints last week, his girl friend had a 914 (and just sold it last year for a grand and is local to me and wondering if it stayed in the area) Getting some more boxes of stuff from him, told if I sell any I will split profits and give away what I don't need or cannot sell.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Hey Mike - I believe that is the same place where I had my 6 steam cleaned after I bought it. Mine looked like it was at the bottom of an oil drum for years and had oil and caked on crud that was like 1/4" thick all over the bottom.

The steam cleaner did a good job. Ultimately, that is what allowed me to realize the whole car needed to come apart rather than just fixing the major components and trying to drive it. Not a lot of places with a lift that do steam cleaning anymore. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.