Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CptTripps' Real Progress Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
i love porsche
wow..this is awesome progress, i cant wait till i can start the body work this summer and make my car look as good as yours!!!

keep it up!
CptTripps
Ok...We have the tub 100% primed!

Here's the ammo I used for the job. PPG K36 High-Fill primer.

user posted image
CptTripps
I've been using a turkey baster to measure everything. I just fill up to the ticks on the side of the mixing cup. The mix for this primer is 2-Catalist : 2-Reducer : 4-Primer

user posted image
CptTripps
Got the trunks and the interior vaccuumed out and wiped down with de-greaser.

user posted image
CptTripps
The primer went over the back (covered with Herculiner) real well, so I decided to do the rest of the interior...at least in primer.

user posted image
CptTripps
I had the mask on, and was painting in between that pic, and this one...Her she is with a nice thick coat.

user posted image
CptTripps
Front trunk...all covered up and cozy. The floor had been POR-15'd by the PO...I just roughed it up a bit so it'll stick well.

user posted image
CptTripps
The primer covered the Herculiner REAL well...Filled it in a bit too so it's not as rough.

user posted image
CptTripps
Rear trunk....painted and nice!

user posted image
CptTripps
I also got the inside of the doors done. I'm planning on doing the doors and lids seperate from the rest of the tub. I just don't have the room. I'll get it back on the ground, and then have the garage free to paint it...

user posted image
CptTripps
So I'm thinking after another wet-sand tomorrow, I may throw a coat of paint on...just to see how it goes. The primer was a lot easier than I thought. I'm learning that I can always sand it smooth and put another coat on. I've got to get to the paint store in the morning to get some more catalyst for the primer. I'm about out. Maybe I'll get some more advise while I'm out there...

Long day in the garage, but I feel like I got a LOT done...

Verruckt
Awesome job man! smilie_pokal.gif

Can you tell me, or anyone else for that matter, how diffigult is it to get in the area below the headlight buckets??? Seems that woud be a real PITA to prime and paint

user posted image
CptTripps
I have a little gun that I stuck pack there and just went wild with. I'll post a pic of it later, but it's a little gravity feed from HF. (Purple dude) ok...I'm off to the garage for more wet-sanding!
tat2dphreak
smilie_pokal.gif

awesome man!! keep up the amazing progress!!
CptTripps
Thanks Wayne...

Ok, so I went to the paint store to get more Catalyst. The lady said I should have just needed one pint for a gallon of primer...Hmmm...

Turns out, they gave me the WRONG INSTRUCTIONS! They gave me the K36 SEALER, not the K36 PRIMER. I SHOULD have been mixing at 5:1. I was mixing at 4:2:2...oops.

No worries...I sanded everything down this morning, and just shot it with the RIGHT mixture. this stuff goes on like butter when the mix is right!

Hides ALL the little scratches and scuffs...Nice stuff.

I'll offer up a better report later tonight when I wet-sand it again. I'm aiming to put the first coat of paint on in the morning!

Wish me luck!!!!!

smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif
(Why no Painting smiley? We have Cutting, and welding...)
Verruckt
Looking forward to seeing it. May the force be with you. wink.gif
ben1440
as usual, everything is looking awsome. Keep it up!!!
Dead Air
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Apr 15 2005, 07:17 PM)
Ok...We have the tub 100% primed!

Here's the ammo I used for the job. PPG K36 High-Fill primer.

user posted image

[QUOTE]

In the photo, the can says "primer, resurfacer", The "instructions" they gave you were for shooting on a sealer? I'm sooo confused!
Re the vice grips. Steaks...Hood...beer...door jamb...seat and good company, I'm thinking it was a pretty good trade (I never ride for free!!)smoke.gif
CptTripps
There is a K36 Sealer, and a K36 Primer...they just gave me the wrong sheet.

The chemist I talked to said what others backed up. What I did was probably a GOOD thing...putting a sealer on top of bare metal. It wanded down great, and after wet-sanding, it was smooth as a baby's butt.

So what did I do today???

First Samson and I hooked up the fuel pump back up and got her started...just to knock the dust out. Turned over about 5-6 times, then Vroom!

After that was out of the way, we started masking off the trunks to prepare for paint.

user posted image
CptTripps
Here's we are in our paintin' uniforms!

user posted image
CptTripps
Here I am...mixing up a batch.

user posted image
CptTripps
Here's my first go at it. Lay the first coat on real thin-like...

user posted image
CptTripps
I decided to do the sail-panels so I didn't forget later...

user posted image
CptTripps
Here's what it looked like after we were done...looks like Close Encounters!

user posted image
CptTripps
And when the smoke clears...

user posted image
CptTripps
Here's my handywork...It's bumpy in the back because the PO POR-15d the daylights out of it.

user posted image
CptTripps
Did the interior too...

user posted image
CptTripps
And here is the front half...

user posted image
CptTripps
Well...that's it for today...I'm off to wathc DeadWood...I'll post more details later. All kinds of fun tonight!
carreraguy
Nice job! Looks familiar; here's my Sunflower yellow:

xsboost90
hm sounds familiar, spent the day doing some last minute touch ups and getting it ready for paint...tub/doors are ready for paint, rear trunk is painted, front trunk hasnt been touched yet except for the 944 jack brakets i welded in this morning for the spare. Body is straight though!
newto914s
Wow, after that stuff starts to dry it really looks good. Nice work, it's crazy how fast it went too. Probably for the best though, cause I think I started to buzz smoke.gif in the last five or ten minutes. Even in the bio-hazard outfit.
I like how in all the pics of me in this thred I look like I should be in the special olimpics
CptTripps
I like how in all the pics of me in this thred I look like I should be in the special olimpics

Yeah, after you changed clothes, Angie said "So that's what he looks like without a jump-suit of some kind on."

I just went out a few min ago...paint is pretty hard already...I'm SUPER psyched!

I'm doing another coat in the trunks tomorrow, then one on the body...

I'd reccomend ANYONE that is thinking about painting a car to try it. It's not as scarry as I thought. Actually kinda fun!
Dead Air
sad.gif
Thanks Doug!!
Nan says to me: "Iwant a yellow car", "The 914 looks great in YELLOW!", "I always liked those in yellow", "remember that yellow 914 we saw on the I-290?"
If she asks you, remember to say "Yellow is a pain in the ass!" "PITA!!!"
And thanks for setting the "bar" so high! pray.gif
CptTripps
Here we go...it's Yellow Car day!!!

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Prepped and waiting for a blanket of paint!

user posted image
CptTripps
And one hour later...

user posted image
CptTripps
One thin, and two more, slightly thicker....that'll get you this kinda finish.

Hi Mom!

user posted image
CptTripps
Blends in nice with the trunk I painted yesterday. Glad I didn't mess that up!

user posted image
CptTripps
Nice and creamy...

I'm going to wet-sand the whole thing tomorrow after work, and then lay another coat or two down.

user posted image
skline
Wow, that looks pretty good, now throw it all together and drive it out here, I think you can get it done before the WCC and still make it if you work all night. biggrin.gif
CptTripps
Part of me want's to do EXACTLY that...but I don't have the doors or hoods done yet...

...Next year.
xsboost90
i edged in my doors tonite but im kinda disappointed in how they turned out. I think im rushing things too much and need to step back and slow down. Got my paint and clear purchased tonite and it was making me want to paint this sucker! Looking good there cptn! Yellow is actually one of the harder colors to spray for some reason, i think it is so bright it throws you to weather it is covered completely or not, i no like de yellow. But candy for some reason no problem, go figure.
CptTripps
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ Apr 18 2005, 10:26 PM)
Yellow is actually one of the harder colors to spray for some reason, i think it is so bright it throws you to weather it is covered completely or not...

Yeah, I ran into that a little...I'd go over an area, think I was done, and then see a spot that looked a little 'flater' than the other sections. After the 3rd coat, I got it all...

I'm looking forward to seeint it tomorrow when I can REALLY look it over. I hope it's hard enough to hit with 1000-grit tomorrow and throw another coat on. I'd like to build up so I've got 5 on there (counting tonight's 3) before I leave for WCC. Then come back and color-sand.

i love porsche
wow..this is awesome!!!

i cant wait to do my car this summer!!!
CptTripps
So here is tonight's update...

Went to HF after work and got a 'Central Crapmatic' Purple HVLP gun. $50, thought I'd give it a shot. The guy at the counter offered the 'extended warrenty' and I declined. Said if it works for 2 weeks, I'll be happy...he responded "You know if you only need it for 2 weeks...we have a 30-day 'no questions' return policy." wink.gif

So I got home at about 5:45 and went at it...here's what we looked like at 5:45.

user posted image
CptTripps
I started using 500-grit sandpaper, but after an hour, and only getting one panel done, I remembered that I had a bunch of Green ScotchBrite pads. I wonder.....

Yup! Worked GREAT! This makes any orange-peel a non-issue. Took it down, nice and easy. After 30min, I had the whole car done, and it looked fantastic!

user posted image
CptTripps
Got the new loaded up and ready. I also got a swivel for the end. Keeps the hose out of the way!

user posted image
CptTripps
Used DX330 to de-grease the whole thing. Then used a tack-cloth to get rid of and dust.

user posted image
CptTripps
20min later....we've got a glass-like finish.

user posted image
CptTripps
I REALLY hope it stays like this.

user posted image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.