Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CptTripps' Real Progress Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
CptTripps
Here you go...

First, the proverbial 'All Done' pics...

user posted image
CptTripps
Showing off the booty...

user posted image
CptTripps
On the way to work yesterday...

Grommit (Lab) was happy to pose. Lego (Daschund) wasn't so sure what I was doing.

user posted image
tat2dphreak
gorgeous... wub.gif

have I mentioned that you suck? laugh.gif

seriously, great job man!!
CptTripps
Little dark...here's me and Angie taking a run through the Metro-Parks yesterday.

user posted image
skline
Hey Doug, first off, you never told us your wife was a hottie, second, if those are pics of it all done, where is your targa bar pad? How do you hold the top on without the latches? Great job on the car though, you should be proud. It motivates me to get mine done now.
CptTripps
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ May 26 2005, 09:41 AM)
gorgeous... wub.gif

have I mentioned that you suck? laugh.gif

seriously, great job man!!

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Angie and I were at the Ice-Cream stand at the end of our drive tyesterday and I admitted that it turned out WAY better than I'd thought it would...and that I was in WAY over my head on several occations.

The people here got me through a lot of tough spots on this car.

I'm going to put together a list of all the stuff I did, and costs associated with it, so others can see what I did, and what it cost...on second thought...maybe that's not such a good idea? wacko.gif
skline
No, dont do that, never add up and total up what you did. It's very discouraging and sometimes fatal. biggrin.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE (skline @ May 26 2005, 09:49 AM)
Hey Doug, first off, you never told us your wife was a hottie, second, if those are pics of it all done, where is your targa bar pad? How do you hold the top on without the latches? Great job on the car though, you should be proud. It motivates me to get mine done now.

There are pics of us in the 'What the heck do you look like' thread! I guess nobody looks at it.

I'm going to put those on tonight. I don't plan on driving it on days it is going to rain, so it hasn't been a priority. I'm not sure I'm going to put the targa-bar on either...mine is pretty trashed. Maybe just make up some little pods to conseal the latches or something...
tat2dphreak
I, for one, would LOVE to see that list... but do not EVER, EVER, EVER, let your wife see it... and be sure you have a bottle of burboun handy for when you look at that "total" figure...

whatever you paid though: you got a great deal smilie_pokal.gif
Gint
QUOTE (CptTripps @ May 26 2005, 08:40 AM)
On the way to work yesterday...

Grommit (Lab) was happy to pose. Lego (Daschund) wasn't so sure what I was doing.

Grommit is obviously the star of that show!

Lookin good Doug. No sail panel vinyl?
CptTripps
QUOTE (Gint @ May 26 2005, 10:19 AM)
Grommit is obviously the star of that show!

Lookin good Doug. No sail panel vinyl?

Yeah...he's my driving buddy.

I was never a fan of the sail-panel vinyl. Always though of it as a place for rust to hide. If I'd have thought about it sooner, I'd have shaved the seam off of the back, and then filled the little holes on the targa bar so it didn't have that trim either. Next time. wink.gif Maybe when I do a six this winter???
Gint
Just wondering since you painted the trim black. It almost looks unfinished sort of, like you still intend to put on vinyl. Are you going to leave the trim black or paint it yellow?
CptTripps
QUOTE (Gint @ May 26 2005, 10:29 AM)
Just wondering since you painted the trim black. It almost looks unfinished sort of, like you still intend to put on vinyl. Are you going to leave the trim black or paint it yellow?

I painted it black. Originally, I didn't want ANY chrome on the car. I was looking at even getting the handels powder-coated flat-black. Now, I'm thinking I'll go back to polished trim. Who knows...I've got a second set of polished targa trim. I'll swap that out and see one weekend.

skline
I like the trim done in black. Do take the handles down and have them powder coated black and do the side window trim as well. The no chrome look is nice on a solid colored car like yellow or red or orange. I dont know how it would look on blue or green or any other color.
Eddie Williams
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Mar 21 2005, 07:21 AM)
Controversial Step: Coated the whole thing with Herculiner.

What was so contorversial about this???

... unless you got some on your hootus!!!
CptTripps
QUOTE (Eddie Williams @ May 26 2005, 10:12 PM)
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Mar 21 2005, 07:21 AM)
Controversial Step: Coated the whole thing with Herculiner.

What was so contorversial about this???

... unless you got some on your hootus!!!

People were PMing me telling me that I'd be ruining my pans, I would hate it later-on, or...my favorite... "It'll add 100lbs to your car!" my standard response has been "The can only weightd 7lbs...HOW can it add 100?"

I go back and forth on if I'd do it again. I ended up putting DynaMat down b/c the sound dampening qualities weren't all that great. The up-side is that I guess it acts a lot like POR-15 with it's mechanical rust inhibitor. It's REAL rough, so when I was puttign the interior back together my knees were all scraped up. Also, every time I drop a coin or something, my hands get all scratched up under the seats.

I'm not upset that I did it, but I don't think I'd do it again.
Gint
People were PMing me telling me that I'd be ruining my pans, I would hate it later-on, or...my favorite... "It'll add 100lbs to your car!" my standard response has been "The can only weightd 7lbs...HOW can it add 100?"

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

The car really does look great Doug. Has to be onw of the fastest restos I've ever seen (in real life that is; TV doesn't count).
tdgray
Great Finish Doug smilie_pokal.gif

No get yer ass down here and help me on my car. wink.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE (Gint @ May 27 2005, 06:55 AM)

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

The car really does look great Doug. Has to be onw of the fastest restos I've ever seen (in real life that is; TV doesn't count).

Gint: All kidding aside, that's where a lot of my inspiration came from. I'd watch American Chopper, Boyd's crew on American HotRod, the OverHaulin Guys, Pimp my Ride, and Monster Garage...I kept thinking...this stuff can't take THAT long!

Todd: Yeah, everybody is saying that now. "Cool...can you help me with the rust on my car now?" biggrin.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (CptTripps @ May 27 2005, 07:02 AM)

Todd: Yeah, everybody is saying that now. "Cool...can you help me with the rust on my car now?" biggrin.gif

yea, and everyone knows he's really coming to Big D to help me cool_shades.gif

beerchug.gif
Dead Air
QUOTE (CptTripps @ May 22 2005, 05:09 AM)
Here's a good body shot. This thing glistens in the sun...I'm SO pleased with the paint!

[QUOTE]

Did you notce how your painter made your paint "nice and shiny"?

Was it the buffing, the baking? Clear coat brand?
Nun of my business...Did he stick to the $500.00 quote?
CptTripps
The 'shiney' comes from a couple of things.

#1 - Painted in a booth...no dust

#2 - A decent gun...mine sucks.

#3 - 2 Coats of Clear-Coat added 10min after the final coat.

I used a single-stage paint WITH a clear-coat. Omni MTK paint and then the clear for the Omni dual-stage. The PPG rep said that's a trick to getting a real deep shine. Worked out REAL well. I wish I'd done a better job on the body work.

I had them do some other stuff, so I wen't a little over, but I have no complaints and was expecting it.

newto914s
How would you feel like a drive tomorrow. I'm going to do a little work one mine, but when I'm done I'd like to try keeping up with you driving.gif
The trick is going to be to find some curvey road in straight flat NE OH.
Let me know
xsboost90
you guys could cruise down here, plenty of twisty roads around here. Ever heard of devil's backbone?
CptTripps

I'm up for it if Sam is...we could caravan down, and help get yours on the road. It's suppossed to rain here all day tomorrow, maybe it'll be nicer down south.

Dan: I'm still trying to get out of something tomorrow...so I can come help out.
newto914s
Doug, I'm game for the caravan, but I can't tomorrow. Next weekend for sure.
ben1440
I really like your upholstery. Did you got off the net?
CptTripps
QUOTE (ben1440 @ May 29 2005, 11:14 AM)
I really like your upholstery. Did you got off the net?

ben1440: Door panels, and center console are all from Morphenspectra. TOP quality stuff, and a great guy (and gal) to deal with. Having fiberglass door panels is a nice piece of mind. The wood/masonite ones are crap if you ask me.

YESTERDAY:

I built the entire stereo. Alpine head, Alpine 4ch amp, Sirius Sat, and iPod Adapter. All in a killer install I put in the front hood. I also managed to get my electric washer running.(I'll post pics later or tomorrow.)

TODAY:

Woke up and gave her a bath. It's tough to wash a car while trying not to get it wet!

I spent WAY too much time with the brakes today. More to the point, the pedal cluster. My brake light switch needed adjustment, and after an hour with it, I realizede that I'd been doing it wrong. After it broke 3hrs later, I realized I was STILL doing it wrong. Now I need another switch to replace the one I borrowed from Vance.

NOW I have that pin too far forward, and my brakes were SO HARD on the way home. I need to adjust that tomorrow morning. I hope I didn't ruin anything.

CptTripps
Ok...let's wrap this up...shall we?

I'll cover the stereo install first, then move on to the last few other tweaks I did.

Here is how I routed the amp + and sat antenna into the cabin.

user posted image
CptTripps
I tried the antenna like this...

user posted image

But I didn't get ANY reception...so I just moved it up top. Now it works fine.

user posted image
CptTripps
Here we go making a new board for the amp and AiNet stuff, as well as a new board to cover the spare.

user posted image
CptTripps
This is how I mocked them up, before I tore it apart again to cover and fit the amps.

user posted image
CptTripps
Here is me mapping everything out...

user posted image
CptTripps
an hour later...we are rockin! All on hinges, and room for a full-sized alloy rim underneath.

user posted image
CptTripps
I found this heater tube. (Actually, Vance told me where he got it for his 911.)

Neoprine/fiberglass 3" KICK-ASS tubing. It aint cheap, but it REALLY looks nice installed!

user posted image
CptTripps
Here it is installed. I have dual blowers in the back. I need to use 'real' clamps, but I couldn't find them at the time, so I just used zip-ties to hold them there...this one is too long too.

user posted image
CptTripps
Popped a 009 Distro, Crane XR700, new plugs and 8mm wires in this weekend. I had to make the wires my self. I bought a set of wires for a V8, and just make the shortest 4 the right length for me. Turned out awesome. They were yellow too!

smilie_pokal.gif

user posted image
CptTripps
Here are the BMW fronts that I bought from Samson. I wasn't sure about the red, but it's grown on me. I'll do up a set of rears in Red too...I'll powder-coat next time though...These were already painted, and I'm thinking he didn't use the 'right' paint because it runs when the fluid hits it.

user posted image
CptTripps
I also cut off the old tip, and added a downward-pointing chrome tip. I kept getting 'spatter' on the back of the car, and this helps that a bunch!

user posted image
CptTripps
Here is a quick shot of the Wevo tranny mounts. Another great product. I don't think I have them in the right way though.

user posted image
CptTripps
And here we are in my parking spot at the office...

user posted image
CptTripps
Here we are. (Dare I say it...)

Done!

user posted image
CptTripps
Ok, well, I think it's time to put this thread to bed. Couple of last things...

Everybody here rules. I COULD NOT have done this without the constant help and encouragement of you all. Lots of people sent parts I needed here and there, More people offered encouragement.

Here are the cool-ass products you can buy HERE that I used and won't EVER do a 914 without:

Engman: Ai Pedal Board - Inner Long Stiffening Kit - Updated Fuse Panel - 3rd Brake Light

Morphenspectra: Door panels - Carpet Kit - Center Console - Map Pockets - Speaker Pods

Travis Neff: Master Cylinder Brace

Sammy: Targa Seal

Camp914: Euro Light conversion - Gas Shocks

TMorr: Wevo SS Trans Mounts

iforgetwhomadethis: Billet Shift Knob

Ok...well...Questions???

It's going to be strange not having to spend my nights in the garage trying get it 'done'...guess I oughta mow the lawn now.

Happy driving.gif
TravisNeff
Excellent results! Good job buddy, you did this at rocket pace for sure. What's next?
xsboost90
excellent job. This summer im going to hook up some sirius satellite. Maybe we'll hook up here soon and check em out!
Gint
QUOTE (CptTripps @ May 29 2005, 09:41 PM)
YESTERDAY:

I built the entire stereo. Alpine head, Alpine 4ch amp, Sirius Sat, and iPod Adapter. All in a killer install I put in the front hood.  I also managed to get my electric washer running.(I'll post pics later or tomorrow.

Jey Doug,

Can you tell me more about this iPod adapter?

Car looks fantastic BTW.
CptTripps
QUOTE (Gint @ Jun 7 2005, 03:43 PM)
QUOTE (CptTripps @ May 29 2005, 09:41 PM)
YESTERDAY:

I built the entire stereo. Alpine head, Alpine 4ch amp, Sirius Sat, and iPod Adapter. All in a killer install I put in the front hood.  I also managed to get my electric washer running.(I'll post pics later or tomorrow.

Jey Doug,

Can you tell me more about this iPod adapter?

Car looks fantastic BTW.

It's built by Alpine for their head units that have AiNet. (Alpine #KCA420I)

IMHO, I'd go another direction. It's cool to see the song name, but if you had just an Aux-In and the Belkin CLA adapter, you'd be in better shape. When it's connected, there is NO way to quickly scroll through songs. I'm used to the simplicity, and ease of the iPod's interface...doing it through the head unit at 1/5th the speed is a GIANT PITA! I've got a 60gig that I had connected to it with 10,000 songs or so, and I could never get past "C" on the 'Artist Search'.
MoveQik
Looks awesome. Very clean. beer.gif
aircooledboy
Really great work Doug. clap.gif

You should be very proud. Very few people ever know the satisfaction you should feel for amazing job you did resurecting that car. smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.