Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CptTripps' Real Progress Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
CptTripps
Ok, so after all that, I'm getting fresh air, and the guy in the house behind me comes over and introduces himself. He asked if I'd be 'airing that out all night, because I think were getting the brunt of it." I explained that I was JUST crawling in the garage to shut the door the rest of the way and apologized. Then I introduced myself...because I've lived here a year and 3 days and this is the first I've ever talked to him.

I REALLY hope I didn't accidentally paint anything of his 'saturn yellow'. unsure.gif

Well...that's it for today. *IF* all goes well over night, I'll be color-sanding tomorrow. If not, then it's time for touch-up!
CptTripps
I forgot to include a body shot....Oops...

I just went out and looked...it's hardening up perfectly...

user posted image
J P Stein
I thought you said you were gonna paint it yellow biggrin.gif

Maybe it's just the light....
xsboost90
got mine painted- the tub and doors, last nite. Alittle tired at work this morning, up til 3:30am color sanding and clearing- started at 6p last nite. I have some pics, i'll post them after work. givemebeer.gif
i love porsche
w00t.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif clap.gif

that loooks awesome!!! i cant wait to do mine!
Steve Thacker
Doug, laugh.gif
That frigging looks awesome!!!!!!
I'm curious to see how the color sanding comes out. If you do yours and it looks great, how much to get you down here to do mine? laugh.gif
Gint
That's lookin great Doug!
tdgray
Good Job Doug.

I'm glad you got that regulator on the gun. I think that makes all the difference in the world.

BTW - you are making me look bad, I don't have jack crap done on my car.

Maybe I'll take a couple of days off idea.gif
CptTripps
Just went out and inspected...looks great! I'm going to do another coat tonight. I can tell it's a little thin in a few spots. Part of me just wants to start color-sanding, but a few places could use some glazing putty too...

I think I found the sweet-spot with the gun, paint, and car. One more coat, and I'm thinking I'll be ready to color-sand. THEN I gotta work on the hoods/doors. I need a bigger garage... cool.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE (Steve Thacker @ Apr 20 2005, 07:11 AM)
Doug, laugh.gif
That frigging looks awesome!!!!!!
I'm curious to see how the color sanding comes out. If you do yours and it looks great, how much to get you down here to do mine? laugh.gif

You don't want me doing your car! I'm like a 14yr old that's just figuring out what PlayBoy is all about. It's hit-or-miss right now.

It's raining, so maybe now is a good time to paint it in the garage...

One more coat can't hurt...right?
TravisNeff
[/QUOTE]You don't want me doing your car! I'm like a 14yr old that's just figuring out what PlayBoy is all about. It's hit-or-miss right now.
[QUOTE]

haHA! so you telling us your doors will stick to the car, like the pages of the magazine laugh.gif
xsboost90
yeah this body work stuff will make you tired, but painting is the fun part! I too still need to do my hood, trunk, rockers and valances. Did you say your driving that thing to the WCC? you are crazy! thats some milage..ill be lucky im making it to the michigan one.
CptTripps
No way...I'm flying out there on Friday. I SHOULD have this one back together and on the road by the 1st week in May though. Everything I'm putting back ON the car is new, so it should all fit a lot better.

As soon as I get the tub done, I'm going to do the brakes so I can put it back on the ground, and back it out of the garage. That'll free up the room to do the rockers, bumpers, valances, hoods and doors.

NOW I'm thinking... "The bumpers aren't that bad...maybe I'll just put them back on."

I'm going to have to FORCE myself to do those. Maybe I'll go hit them with some pink spray paint or something to force the issue!
Root_Werks
Good job Doug! The paint looks great, flat and shinny! smilie_pokal.gif
Lou W
Doug, wow, very nice job. smilie_pokal.gif
tdgray
Doug,

Don't do too many coats. You might start having adhesion problems. How many do you have on now, four or five? I'd stop there if it's covering.

Dead Air
[QUOTE=CptTripps,Apr 19 2005, 06:37 PM]Ok, so after all that, I'm getting fresh air, and the guy in the house behind me comes over and introduces himself.

I REALLY hope I didn't "accidentally" paint anything of his 'saturn yellow'. unsure.gif

[QUOTE]
Well Doug, It sounds like you've some "great" neighbors. You've got two choices:
1) Paint without the respirator and tell them that you're actually getting the "brunt of it"! or...
2) "Test" your spray pattern in his direction and with a big smile tell him your home owners insurance will be glad to take care of any damage. wavey.gif
CptTripps
We are quickly entering the final stages of this restoration. :: Thank God ::

I just had my first 'Non Successful' night of painting. I've been lucky thus far, so I think I pressed my luck a little TOO far tonight. I got my first runs while doing the final-FINAL coat of paint. The good news is that I'll be color-sanding tomorrow, so I guess I can get rid of them. (Suggestions??)

Here's the big run...you can KIND of make it out.

user posted image
CptTripps
The GOOD news is that the interior is ready to be put back together. Everything coated up REAL nice, and it should be a breeze to get it all back in there.

user posted image
CptTripps
Everywhere else, I seem to be good. I really hope the color sanding helps get the dust specs, and runs.

user posted image
Verruckt
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Apr 27 2005, 07:17 PM)
Everywhere else, I seem to be good. I really hope the color sanding helps get the dust specs, and runs.

user posted image

If the rest of your car looks like that passenger quarter pic, your going to be smiling for weeks after a bit of colorsanding. Looks great man. smilie_pokal.gif
Brando
That does look awesome. Keep up the great progress! beer.gif
IanStott
I am getting ready to do the same thing, is Engmans kit better than the clamshell offered by AutoAtlanta or did you not need the clamshell as your longs were good. Mine are not great and are going to be repaired by a competent bodyman I trust. Your thoughts appreciated.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
CptTripps
is Engmans kit better than the clamshell offered by AutoAtlanta

I did Engman's kit because I was doing the floor, and WASN'T going back into anything after I was finished. I *CAN* tell you that it stiffened the whole tub up real well. Before I put it in, I was seeing about 1.5" of drop if I had it on 3 jack-stands. Now, it drops about 1". I also had the car with stands at the front and rear of the floors when I put it on. This put a 'pre-load' on the chassis, so when I drop it, the gap is 'set', and has both a solid long, and Engman's kit on it.

McMark
Doug, call my buddy Brandon tomorrow. 707-253-7246. Tell him I told you to call and ask him his technique about runs. Uses a razor blade and does a great job without any real risk of damaging the paint. Lookin' good.
xsboost90
man i had that same problem. I color sanded one of them out and cleared it but now you can still see the shadow of it when you look just right, im still debating on respraying the top of my ds quarter. sad.gif Runs suck, you almost have to sand it back to primer there to get it to dissappear, try to wetsand it out as best you can, using a razor blade to knock off the high spots makes it quicker, but in that corner you may have to be careful.
tdgray
There is actually a tool that body shop supply stores sell to get out runs...... I just can't remember what it's called.... maybe a nib file?

Doug, call William Wolf Supply up in your next of the woods.... they can give you some pointers on getting that out without damaging the paint.

c-ya soon....no work on the 914.... been doing a brake job from hell on the MGA, have a car show on Sunday.... let get rid of that carcass on Saturday.
xsboost90
yeah ive used one of those once, its like a super fine file..worked pretty good, gotta make sure the paint is dry all the way though! Keeps you from burning the paint around the run.
CptTripps
Oh crap....I didn't think it was THAT big of a deal. Now you are all talking about "call my friend" or "sand to primer." Did I screw it up THAT bad?

"Nuclear-Pissed" is going to be the phrase if I have to sand to primer. headbang.gif

I'm still in bed, but I'll go look at it on my way to the office. Report to follow...after McDonalds. wub.gif

Todd: I'll call you later. To say that we NEED to get this thing out of here is an understatement. All the scrap yards in the area close at 1:00pm on Sat, so we gotta do it early.
tdgray
Doug,

Slammin at work today...will call ya later.

Yep early it is... Probably have to pick up the trailer Fri night.
CptTripps
I got a nib file this morning...helped a LOT. I MAY be able to just color-sand 99% the thing and roll. There are a few spots that I had to go to primer, mostly corners and such. A little touch-up with the little spray gun, and I should be in business...

More to follow...
CptTripps
I was just about to throw in the towel on another day...no modivation anymore. Then I found the turnbuckle that I posted a 'WTB' for!

user posted image
CptTripps
That got me a jazzed enough to want to finish the pedal cluster. Then the brakes...and now I'm back on the ball, and making progress. biggrin.gif

user posted image

I don't have pics of the first part of the evening, but I started by busting out the PowerBleeder. Took me about 30sec to figure out how to work it. Cool-ass invention! Spent the next hour getting the brakes all blead. I think I'll still have Angie help me when she gets home. Do it the old-fashoned way...just to make sure.

CptTripps
I did a test-run on my abilities to cut and buff out a panel. Just did the top of the targa-bar...turned out awesome! Started with 320 - Then 500 - Then 1500 - Then 2000 - Then Rubbing Compound. I'm told I need a 'glazing' compound...Next trip to the paint store.

user posted image
CptTripps
I was sitting there pulling the ash-tray out, when I noticed how cool it is when the tup is all clean inside...can't wait to start filling it with Carpet and stuff. =)

user posted image
CptTripps
I decided that I needed to go over a few parts to clean up edges, and go over the spots I had to scrape down for the runs. Here's an example of a before...

user posted image
CptTripps
And after...

user posted image
CptTripps
So that's my story for the evening...I'm back and motivated again. smilie_pokal.gif

I think tomorrow I'll be wet-sanding the car again and seeing if I can make that the last time I have to do it. I'm debating putting a clear-coat on the whole thing. Maybe after I get the doors and hoods back on, I'll shoot it with clear....maybe I'll wait. Who knows.
xsboost90
your starting to buff w/ 320!!! 500!!! ive been starting w/ 2000 and then buffing w/ a micropolish compound and a wool pad. Then use some glazing compound w/ a foam pad that has been "moistened" w/ water -clean out between panels w/ water. With a bright color you could wetsand w/ 1500 or so.
Gint
You've come too far to give up now. Next time you lack motivation, let me know. I'll give ya a virtual kick in the ass.
CptTripps
I used 320/500 to smooth out the spots where there were runs. Then I went back over those areas and re-painted. I'll start with 1000 after the touch-up dries.

1000:wetsand - 1500:wetsand - 2000:wetsand - Rubbing Compound - Glazing Compound

Do you use a buffer? What kind? What speed?

Tomorrow I'm going to get the wheels on, and I've gotta get this thing out of the garage so I can paint the hoods and the rest of the stuff I've got to do to get it back on the road.
Brando
Holy hell Doug, that's lookin sweet!

I hear you need a power buffer? Want to 'rent' mine? wink.gif

Seriously... Pay shipping and it's yours to break in for a few months. That paintjob looks very very nice as is... Urethane or lacquer based paint? Hell, might as well get it clear-coated for that deep effect (like newer, dark metallic colored cars).
tdgray
I just happened to be at Dougs house last weekend, clearing the scene of the crime. biggrin.gif

That reminds me Doug.... we never took pics of the beverly hillbilly's scrap run. huh.gif

Spencer promptly went home and told Mom that Doug is in real trouble because he painted his shoes ohmy.gif

The car is looking great... after contemplating it Doug I think you should continue color sanding and buffing. It is quite a bit of work but so is the clear and there is the chance that you could get runs in that and thats even tougher to get out.

Whatever you are comfortable with.... lookin good...keep going clap.gif
CptTripps
I've got 2-3 buffers, I just don't know which one to use, and at what speed...

Should I use my orbital, or my 7" variable speed polisher/sander? I've got a big wool pad for the polisher, but I'm never sure that I'm doing it right.
CptTripps
QUOTE (tdgray @ May 5 2005, 07:16 AM)
I just happened to be at Dougs house last weekend, clearing the scene of the crime. biggrin.gif

That reminds me Doug.... we never took pics of the beverly hillbilly's scrap run. huh.gif

Spencer promptly went home and told Mom that Doug is in real trouble because he painted his shoes ohmy.gif

The car is looking great... after contemplating it Doug I think you should continue color sanding and buffing. It is quite a bit of work but so is the clear and there is the chance that you could get runs in that and thats even tougher to get out.

Whatever you are comfortable with.... lookin good...keep going clap.gif

I know...I'm kicking myself for not getting pics to finish the thread...

I'm going to see how the touch-up painting went. I think to come this far and not clear would be a shame...I've also learned my lesson with runs!

I'm going to wait till I've got the hoods and doors done, and on the car. That way I can get a good EVEN clear all over. I don't need to clear inside the doorjams and such.

I'm going to pull her out of the garage tonight and get started on the hoods, and misc tins. That's really the only thing that has me stalled right now. After I'm done there, I'll be good to go for putting her back together.

I'm thinking I'll make up some cables and hang those pieces from the ceiling...Should work fine....I hope.
tdgray
QUOTE (CptTripps @ May 5 2005, 08:19 AM)
I've got 2-3 buffers, I just don't know which one to use, and at what speed...

Should I use my orbital, or my 7" variable speed polisher/sander? I've got a big wool pad for the polisher, but I'm never sure that I'm doing it right.

Nope... no polisher - grinder.... too fast. The best thing is a buffer. Slower speed etc = no burn through. Should be a single or two speed buffer.

If you know what RPM you polisher can go down to and it is acceptable go ahead and use that.

As for the clear. Pick a nice warm day (Saturday is looking good). You need the clear to flow very well as it is not "self leveling" like paint can be. Also make sure you have a good wipe down with clean rags (no silicone in 'em). Clear will fisheye and moddle more readily than paint.

Go for it beerchug.gif
xsboost90
what kind of paint are you using??? Not urethane....
CptTripps
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ May 5 2005, 01:27 PM)
what kind of paint are you using??? Not urethane....

Yup...

Omni MTK Acrylic Urethane - Single stage.
CptTripps
Welcome to my second wind...

I got out there tonight and decided to make some progress. Decided the first order of business would be the brakes...again. I had Angie cone lend a hand, and work the pedal while I blead the line. (There's one for the quote thread.) After that got all worked out, I started at the fuel pump.

I ran new wires through a new hole I drilled into the tunnel. I have a ton of grommets of all shapes and sizes, so this was easy, and done right. Through the tunnel, and through the front, about 8" towards the center from the brake cylendar. Added another grommet there, and we had a nice and clean install.

I'm going to re-locate the filter to the back, so I cut the line and...oops...there's still 5gal of gas in the tank! The closest thing I had was my wet-sanding bucket, so that had to hold the flow while I ran to the other end of the garage to get my portable tank. Except THAT was FULL TOO!

Off to my 'real' car to put the gas from the tank into that, then get it under to get the gas out of the tank. Thank God I left the Saab unlocked, or I'd have had to run inside, and who knows how much gas would be flowing down my drive. I made it back inder JUST in time to catch the pail before it started overflowing. Oiy...

So now we have that all working, car started, and we're getting fuel pressure. Let's see what the tires look like on it.

user posted image
CptTripps
So I got the tires on there and started cleaning things out...Hmm....

user posted image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.