Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CptTripps' Real Progress Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
CptTripps
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ May 22 2005, 10:00 PM)
very nice! hey drive it down saturday and if we get mine going we can go for a drive.

Dan: I'm down for it. Let me check the social calendar and see if I can park the pooches with my Dad.

Ok NOW I'm pissed...I thin this is God's way of punishing me for driving it before it's ALL THE WAY done. IT'S RAINING! MY first day to drive it to work....and it's RAINING!

Looks like it'll be rain till Wed, so I'll have a chance to do the center console, and maybe the amp Tonight. I'm still pissed...but that's life!
CptTripps
Ok gang...I'm getting close. Just popped the center console in. I have to mod the way the lower 'tray' is mounted to accomidate the short-shift kit, but it'll work out JUST fine!

I spent all night chatting with Vance, and building the wiring harness for all the gauges. Not as bad as I thought it'd be...only really two wires you need to worry about...the rest is just power and ground.

I can't find the battery charger for the camera, so you'll all have to wait for pics. But it's looking like we'll be done by tomorrow night. The only thing left to do is put the wipers back on, and the fog lights. I'm just going to put them in there for now, as I don't have the switch for them yet. Maybe I'll just do that mod so they only come on when I'm 'flashing' my brights. Thoughts???
shorty01
what did you use to take the paint down to the metal
i used the 3m sanding\grinding disks but they dig into the bodyfiller and take along time what did you use links pics?
shorty01
did you ever use those 130 grit sanding pads on a drill????
Dead Air
QUOTE (Verruckt @ May 22 2005, 05:53 AM)
It's people like you that make the rest of us look bad...
user posted image

[QUOTE]
Ineed
CptTripps
QUOTE (shorty01 @ May 23 2005, 11:39 PM)
what did you use to take the paint down to the metal
i used the 3m sanding\grinding disks but they dig into the bodyfiller and take along time what did you use links pics?

Shorty01: That's exactly what I used. 3M Sandblasters on an angle grinder. That and sandpaper...if I had to do it over again, I'd use a chemical stripper. I think I said that before here...

Dave: I'm tryin! wink.gif
CptTripps
Here are a few pics of the interior. I'm going to re-do the face later and take the "Fasten Seat Belts" light out.

I'm real pleased with it though.

user posted image
CptTripps
Other side...

user posted image
tat2dphreak
man, that looks amazing!
CptTripps
I'm going to make a new shift boot out of the diamond-punch vinyl too. The leather one is getting kinda ratty.

I've also got to make a new cover for the arm-rest. The one I had was brown, and the black one I bought is the wrong kind. I've got to wire my iPod and a CLA in there, so it'll be a bit before I need to cover anything up anyway.

Here is the list of tyhe stuff I need to finish.

Wire the Oil Pressure sensor. (Installed at both ends...just need to connect them.)
Wire the Amp, and new speakers.
Install tweeters on dash. (MAYBE in side the side air vents??)
Install iPod adaptor
Install Sirrius components
Install fog lights. (They won't work for a while...just need to fill the holes!)
Wire 3rd Brake Light
Re-paint the engine grill
Re-paint the PORSCHE letters Yellow.
Install Crane ignition and new distributor.

And that'll be it...should be done tonight!

smilie_pokal.gif
cdmcse
Great work, I love it. wub.gif What diameter is your new steering wheel?
CptTripps
QUOTE (cdmcse @ May 24 2005, 11:03 AM)
Great work, I love it. wub.gif What diameter is your new steering wheel?

350 mm. (13.8") driving it for a couple of days, I drove a stock wheel, and it felt like a bus wheel!

I forgot to add that I need to install the Turbo Tie-Rods. I'm going to pay someone to do that though...they can allign it at the same time. Just to make sure!

Dr. Roger
QUOTE (CptTripps @ May 24 2005, 08:06 AM)
QUOTE (cdmcse @ May 24 2005, 11:03 AM)
Great work, I love it.  :wub:  What diameter is your new steering wheel?

350 mm. (13.8") driving it for a couple of days, I drove a stock wheel, and it felt like a bus wheel!

I forgot to add that I need to install the Turbo Tie-Rods. I'm going to pay someone to do that though...they can allign it at the same time. Just to make sure!

I hope this isn't a dumb question but I've never driven a 914 with a center console. A guy sold me one cheap and i'm looking at it thinking that it will get in the way of my right knee and the gas pedal. are you experiencing this?
Also I noticed my gauges point towards the driver a bit but yours seem set in flush. Is your center console and gauges stock or aftermarket?
Kicking some serius *ss man. Great work! wink.gif
xsboost90
hey if you come down saturday i have extra arm rests IIRC in black. Man i need to have you do my dash!! Oh and that center consule, youll hate it so you should give it to me biggrin.gif
CptTripps
The stock one is flat. I've got Morphenspectras. It's identical to the stock one, only made a lot better. I also had him drill it for current gauge sizes...and I bought all new ones.

I have a size 13 shoe, and it dosen't get in my way at all...if that means anything...
vesnyder
I know you told me, but where is the 3rd brake light from? Very cool!
shorty01
sorry i was using the 3m grinding \sanding pads you attach to a drill they take along time im getting a angle grinder soon could you tell me what your using? with the grinder? which pads? 3m item no.? name? you said before that you did 1 door and half a hood with 1 pad

thanks

oh i read the other post so the 3m pads you used are called "3M Sandblasters? do they only come in 1 grit?"

if you ever come down near knoxville id like to see the car, also you need to write a book how to do a total restore in 6 months... lol

Id buy it w00t.gif
jim912928
rogergrubb.....

the 914 consoles with the slanted gauges were put in with cars that had dealer/aftermarket installed air conditioning. You'll notice the top of the console will be notched out for an underdash vent system.

Jim
jim912928
Doug...your car looks amazing, you certainly kicked ass! Can't wait to see it at the MWC.

Jim

p.s. now you have to start thinking 6!!!!!!!
CptTripps
Here's what we did tonight...

Finished mounting the center console.
Wired up the center console.
Installed the fog lights.
Painted the engine lid
Wired up 3rd brake light
Painted Engine Grills
Polished and replaced the PORSCHE on the grill.
Put the wipers on.
Drove the shit out of it!
CptTripps
So people quit asking!

user posted image
CptTripps
And we're off!

user posted image
CptTripps
Check out the cool-g cup holder!

user posted image
Lou W
Doug, you look like you're enjoying too much. biggrin.gif
tat2dphreak
you are just gloating now! wink.gif seriously great job man!! pray.gif
sixnotfour
On the Road Again, (Willie Nelson)

Good Job smilie_pokal.gif
TravisNeff
Hey, what's that green stuff on the ground and in the trees?

Looks like fun
CptTripps
I'll take the 'Done' pics tomorrow. I've got a few things to figure out wiring wise, but all major aspects of this build are done.

I'll put 200+ miles on it tomorrow with the meetings I've got to go to. I'm going to have the oil changed along the way. I have no idea what size filter it is, and I'd rather someone else do it initially. It's a superstision with me...long story.
datapace
Congrats man! I've been following your thread since the beginning, you pace is simply stunning.

How those 320i calipers working out for you?

-bryan
CptTripps
QUOTE (datapace @ May 24 2005, 09:44 PM)
Congrats man! I've been following your thread since the beginning, you pace is simply stunning.

How those 320i calipers working out for you?

-bryan

Actually...not that well. ohmy.gif Thanks for asking though!

The bleeder broke off inside one of them then the easy-out broke inside! I have NO idea how to get it out of there...I may just need to buy another set.

O-well...at least it was blead first.
xsboost90
didnt you know you cant put bavarian parts on german machinery!
Dead Air
CongratulationS, Doug!!!
You diserve it!!
Following your progress has been great!
smilie_pokal.gif
jgiroux67
What did you paint the targa bar trim with?
CptTripps
QUOTE (jgiroux67 @ May 24 2005, 10:23 PM)
What did you paint the targa bar trim with?

Scratched it up with a scotch-brite pad (green)
2 coats of etching primer
4 coats of black high-temp grill paint

That's the way I did all the black trim. We'll see how it holds up long-term.
redshift
Yeeehaw!~ WTG!

I have nearly the same cupholder, keeps your coffee warm in the winter.

smilie_pokal.gif

M
shorty01
I went to lowes and I didnt see anything marked 3M-Sandblasters is that the correct name for the product?

so i guess your done great pics i still cant beleive it

heres my project

heres mine it looks great but has rust, the previous owner put 4,000 dollars into it months before he sold it to mefor 3,200. from 2000 to 2003 (when i got it 03') 13,567.00 was put into since 2000. i got all the papers rebuilt engine rebuild gauges glass face, dial plus the tires on the car were new he also gave me about 1,200.00 dollars worth of extra parts and a set of 5 mahle wheels with new tires on them. I drove it for a whole year with no problems so im going to take it all apart and put
everything on this tub all it needs is hell hole to be fixed rear floor board and a little bit of the firewall and rear of the rear trunk i got a welder that will do everything i need for 150 bucks (hes a good friend) 150 isnt bad so what i need ill cut out of the blue car

i got this tub for 650 with the best targa they had the dash with 3 main gauges
plus i got a 1.7 engine with good compression for 200 and he threw in another engine for free no tax cause it was out of state and thrue them they brought everything to knoxvillt tn and my friends with a big truck i got everything to my house free

heresthe link to the orange tub

http://www.premier-autosales.com/cars/170.htm

heres the blue car sadly it looks factory fresh but will have to put it under the knife

for some this may be a repeat post

i really cant see me doing what you did in 8 months with 6 hours a day
MoveQik
QUOTE (Dave Eddy @ May 24 2005, 06:57 PM)
CongratulationS, Doug!!!
You diserve it!!
Following your progress has been great!
smilie_pokal.gif

Horsesh!t, following his thread hasn't been great. It has been exhausting! I'll need to take some time off just to recover from watching all the work he did.

Looks great! beerchug.gif
morph
youre interior looks nice doug.can i use some of youre photos?(console) the whole car looks nice BTW good job
james
william harris
Doug: Great looking restoration. I am really motivated to have my car back on the road this year. I have a question about the seal/bead at the bottom of the windshield - dash area. The seal has two lips, one side is noticeably wider than the other. I am thinking the wide lip goes in towards the car and lays over the dash when it is in place. Is this how you installed it?
CptTripps
QUOTE (morphenspectra @ May 24 2005, 11:59 PM)
youre interior looks nice doug.can i use some of youre photos?(console) the whole car looks nice BTW good job
james

James: I'll take better ones for you after I put the ashtray back in. I have a few suggestions too if you don't mind?

I was going to mod a radar for it, or something, but I've already got all the gauges I need...and can't think of anything else to fit in there. I thought Double CLA, but that's a little high for that.

William: That would explain a few things! I actually had that seal somewhere else, and when I looked at it, I realized that I'd found the seal I was looking for! I haven't glued it yet, so I'll look and see if it's the right way. Thanks for the tip!

Shorty01: Start a progress thread...we'll all cheer you on!
CptTripps
More on the 3M disks...

This is the adapter you need. It fits any 4" angle grinder.

http://doityourself.com/store/2872901.htm

These are the disks I used...

http://doityourself.com/store/4060810.htm

Now I got all my stuff at Lowes. If you are doing an entire exterior, plan on buying 10 pads. That oughta do it for you.

SOME Lowes have a pack for $15 that had one pad and the adaptor. Like I said though... If I had to do it over again....I'd use Aircraft stripper. Get 2-gal and let it eat the paint off. Same ammount of mess, and I think it's less dangerous to the metal.
rick 918-S
Doug, Great progress! Are you coming to the MWC?
xsboost90
he better be going! he's meeting some of us in the ohio caravan on the way up. W/o the yellow car we wont be able to find out way!
Dead Air
Did any one notice who's NOT on line???
'Cause he's out driving his freaking car!!!
At any given time, I'd wager, there's six 914 owners on the computer to those actually in or on their cars.
What have we become!!!?? confused24.gif beer3.gif type.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Dave Eddy @ May 25 2005, 07:59 PM)
At any given time, I'd wager, there's six 914 owners on the computer to those actually in or on their cars.
What have we become!!!?? confused24.gif beer3.gif type.gif

sad people who's cars are on jackstands and we don't have the time and/or funds to get them on the road... this is nothing new though...
CptTripps
You know it!

I put 400mi on her today...WELL worth the time/money/effort. Angie got a bit of stick time too!

When I got home, I put the master-cylendar brace on, and installed an electronic washer pump. I need to get a switch tomorrow at Radio-Shaft, it'll take about 30sec to hook up from there.

I also found that I need to re-install my oil-pressure sensor. I hooked it up, and it just stays PEGGED! Everyone that got a ride today pointed and said "Should it be like that???"

I think it's the ground wire. I don't think it's hooked up to a real ground.
Gint
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

driving.gif
CptTripps
retaliating....I get it! wink.gif

I'll post them tomorrow morning...it's BED TIME! (I'm sun-burnt to hell too!)

Grimstead
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ May 25 2005, 06:01 PM)
QUOTE (Dave Eddy @ May 25 2005, 07:59 PM)
What have we become!!!?? confused24.gif  :beer3:  :type:

sad people who's cars are on jackstands and we don't have the time and/or funds to get them on the road... this is nothing new though...

What! They come OFF the jackstands confused24.gif All this time I thought they were part of my car....
Gint
QUOTE (CptTripps @ May 25 2005, 08:52 PM)
retaliating....I get it! wink.gif

I'll post them tomorrow morning...it's BED TIME! (I'm sun-burnt to hell too!)

I'll be here!

They got this stuff called sunscreen. Or you can get one of these:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.