Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
CptTripps
Since it's on the ground....

user posted image
CptTripps
Let's back her out of the garage...

user posted image
CptTripps
So since it backed out...and stopped when I asked it to...why not take her around the block! No doors, no lids, no guages...no problem! I went up and down the street 2-3 times. Got some funny looks from the neighbors, but I'm SURE they'll be seeing me in it more often.

Couple of observations...

This thing is WAY stiffer than it was when I pulled it in the garage. New floors, re-enforced longs (Engman's kit), and new welds wherever I could made for a REAL stiff ride...I love it!

Now I see why people go to the 930 tie-rods. That'll be the first thing i install when I'm done. I've already got them...just gotta get them ON there!

I've got a second wind...I'm up for a rally this weekend to drive her next weekend....think I can do it? idea.gif
rick 918-S
clap.gif
TravisNeff
right on Doug! you move faster than that mexican food that we ate going through me..
Flat VW
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ May 5 2005, 07:20 PM)
right on Doug!  you move faster than that mexican food that we ate going through me..

WWWOT

A mexican pal of mine sometimes takes a rosary in with him when anticipating a long and difficult "sit down session". chowtime.gif

J
Gint
user posted image
CptTripps
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ May 5 2005, 10:20 PM)
right on Doug!  you move faster than that mexican food that we ate going through me..

THAT was some good food....and N-A-S-T-Y shit!

pain30.gif
CptTripps
No pics from last night yet...I took a few, but I want to get back out there and work.

Got the doors, lids, and other accessory pieces in primer last night. I'm going out to sand it down and prime again...then put my first coat of paint on all of them tonight.

If it doesn't rain too hard today, I'll pull the cover off of the tub and start buffing the rest of the car today. Tomorrow is going to be spend with Mom in the AM, but then I'd like to spend the afternoon finishing the buffing, and maybe start putting seals back on.

Now we're rollin folks! All down-hill from here.
CptTripps
Here's the hoods and doors after a couple of coats of primer...

user posted image
CptTripps
Here's the engine-lid, headlight covers, and 3rd brake light.

user posted image
CptTripps
And here we are a few hours after wet-sanding...

user posted image
CptTripps
Doors look good...for a change...

user posted image
CptTripps
And the pieces-parts.

user posted image

CptTripps
I've got enough paint left for about 1 good, even coat. So I went and bought another quart, and am going to use it for the next coat. Then I'll cap it with what I have remaining. I didn't want to mix everythign together, as that may change it a LITTLE, and I think I'm better off going the route I'm taking this time. Later tonight is wehen the next coats go on, then tomorrow morning we'll do the final after a wet-sanding.

Look like I'll be putting all the parts back together and buffing it all out this week...I'm getting excited...this is fun!
morph
finally got around to reading the thread on youre work.
awsome progress smilie_pokal.gif
be nice to see this project when completed
james
CptTripps
So the paint isn't working out the way I thought it would.

I spent all day wet-sanding to tub. Then I spent another 2hrs using rubbing-compound. Then another 2hrs with a glazing compund. Not as shiney as I thought it'd be. Maybe it's the wrong paint...maybe it's my skill. Man...I should have handed someone $3K and said "Call me when it's done!"

I'm not happy with it at all....but the up-side is that this winter, I can hand it to someone in November with $3K and say "Call me in March when it's done!" I'm only into the paint about $700 at this point. Maybe I'll just drive it for 2 years and sell it, or get it re-painted then. After seeing some of the paint-jobs at WCC, I'm not as concerned as I originally was. wink.gif

So tomorrow I'll start putting seals back on, and maybe start on the interior. I'm not going for a 10Pt car, so I don't need all the bodywork to be perfect...this is as good as I can make it. I think I'd be better at smaller things...maybe Motorcycle tanks or something...O-Well!
MecGen
Dude
Good job so far...remember qualified painters are getting some huge $$$, now you know why. I think you did the best you could without experience and a shop.
Thumbs up
Later
Joe

beerchug.gif
xsboost90
how did you buff it, that makes all the difference. WEtsand the orange peel out -on a bright paint job- w/ some 1500 and buff w/ wool pad and some microfine buffing compound. THen clean w/ a wet towel. Get a foam eggcrate looking pad, soak it in water and ring out, then buff w/ some glazing compound. Then clean again. This should look gooood. If you just compound it, then itll be kinda flat. The water in the second buff keeps the swirls out.
xsboost90
oh yeah looking GOOD! i still have to paint all that stuff, thinking of getting mine running first though. Dont want painted pieces sitting around to get scratched up.
CptTripps
I did the rubbing compound, and used a polisher. Same with the glazing compound. I didn't know I needed to have it wet when I did it.

Maybe that's the problem?

I'm just getting a 'less than shiney' finish. It's not dull, it's not all that glossy either.
xsboost90
you can also try applying some hand glaze (3m) to the car after your done, always works wonders.
CptTripps
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ May 7 2005, 09:29 PM)
you can also try applying some hand glaze (3m) to the car after your done, always works wonders.

Now I'm thinking I'll shoot it with clear...$90 at this point isn't going to kill me, and I think it may do wonders for the thing in the 'shine' department.

Thoughts??? Am I stupid to be doing it at this point?
xsboost90
may not be a bad move, but youll have to wetsand it real good or youll have flake city. Check you local paint shop recommendations. I would say at least 1000-600 grit wetdry.
tdgray
Can't hurt Doug.

Just degrease real good, wet sand, degrease... be sure to use clean unwashed rags and go for it.

Ask you paint supplier which clear will do the best on paint that has been...um.... aged biggrin.gif

Call me if you need help.
CptTripps
I think I found the way to do it...

Just went to the body shop next door, and talked to them for a bit. He said if I provided the material, they'd shoot it with another coat of paint, wet-sand it, shoot it with clear, and buff it all out for me...for $500. I think we have a plan!

It looks like my goal of driving the car to work on Monday isn't totally lost. I'll just be driving it here, to drop it off next door. smile.gif

He says I can have it back on Thursday. I think this is going to make me a LOT happier with this car long-term.

I don't think this is cheating...I think it's realizing what I am, and am not good at doing in my garage. I'll spend this week working with wood on the panels for the amps in the front trunk, covering the speaker pods with vinyl, and all the other little stuff I want to get ready.

If I get the car back on Thursday, and spend this week prepping...next week painting bumpers and stuff that needs to be black...I MAY be rolling next weekend!
tdgray
A Man's got to know his limitations biggrin.gif

I agree... I know when I'm in over my head.... usually after I get there huh.gif
Gint
QUOTE (CptTripps @ May 9 2005, 07:44 AM)
Just went to the body shop next door, and talked to them for a bit. He said if I provided the material, they'd shoot it with another coat of paint, wet-sand it, shoot it with clear, and buff it all out for me...for $500. I think we have a plan!

It looks like my goal of driving the car to work on Monday isn't totally lost. I'll just be driving it here, to drop it off next door. smile.gif

I don't think this is cheating...I think it's realizing what I am, and am not good at doing in my garage.

Sounds like a good idea to me. A wise man recognizes his limitations and adjusts accordingly.
xsboost90
BOLDERDASH!!!! you forfeit the trophy smilie_pokal.gif
CptTripps
Dan, you had the trophy locked WEEKS ago....I'm just trying to makeit look presentable, in a timely fashon.

I'm super-excited about this. If I'd known that I'd be doing this, I'd have done a better job on certain things...O-well. There is always next time!

wink.gif
Lou W
Gint   Posted on May 9 2005, 06:21 AM
QUOTE (CptTripps @ May 9 2005, 07:44 AM)

I don't think this is cheating...I think it's realizing what I am, and am not good at doing in my garage.

Sounds like a good idea to me. A wise man recognizes his limitations and adjusts accordingly.

agree.gif You may want to see if you can watch or help him prep and paint. smile.gif
CptTripps
I was thinking just that. I'll walk over tomorrow and talk to the guy again. He's been giving me tips, and I'm sure he'd be fine with it. The fact that they are in the building next to our offices, I can throw on a tyvek suit and a resporator and head over at a moments notice.

I put the hoods and doors back on tonight...boy am I dissapointed. The gap on the pass-side door is a little thin on the lower-back side. It's from when I replaced that portion of the quarter panel. Live and learn I guess...

I'm also REAL glad that we are putting another coat of paint on the whole car before the clear goes on. This ought to even things out a bit. I've got a little difference between the tub, and the hoods and doors that I painted this week.

Should be a goor deal...
Dead Air
Oh Yeah!!! biggrin.gif
You did all the hard work, Doug1 Always remember
"Proper preparation promises perfect paint performance!!!"
Maybe a coat of wax would've shined it up? confused24.gif
When you suit up in your Tyvek, make sure Sampson is there just for effect.

Dead Air
"I should have handed someone $3K and said "Call me when it's done!""
Hey Doug,
Nan says we'll give you $3000 for the car and and you won't have to worry about the paint! biggrin.gif
Question:
You said the rear trunk floor was rough because you por-15 it. Before you primed over the POR, how did you prep it? With the "system" or just scuf it up with some fine paper?
The bottom of our pass door is tighter than the top, also. I'm thinking it's a common malady.

CptTripps
QUOTE (Dave Eddy @ May 10 2005, 07:06 AM)
"I should have handed someone $3K and said "Call me when it's done!""
Hey Doug,
Nan says we'll give you $3000 for the car and and you won't have to worry about the paint! biggrin.gif
Question:
You said the rear trunk floor was rough because you por-15 it. Before you primed over the POR, how did you prep it? With the "system" or just scuf it up with some fine paper?
The bottom of our pass door is tighter than the top, also. I'm thinking it's a common malady.

Double that, and you have a deal! biggrin.gif

I scuffed it up with 120 and then used a hugh-build primer on it. Sticks real well.

I'm not happy with the prep job I did either. My bodywork skills leave a lot to be desired. I thought it all looked good, then after a few coats of paint, you can see high and low spots. Again...next time.
headbang.gif
Howard
Doug, great post and car. Clearcoat will solve 99% of your problems, and the added protection from the rock nasties is great. Suggest having a pro do it.
I used herculiner and green scotch brite pads on my car, too biggrin.gif
CptTripps
Here's the pics from recent progress...

First, here is the finish I was talking about. This is after a day of buffing...

user posted image
CptTripps
Got my new shocks installed on the front lid. I wish it went up a little higher...maybe I did it wrong???

user posted image
CptTripps
Now what to do about these little holes...the rubber pieces are LONG gone.

user posted image
CptTripps
Here is what I came up with! One Box of HF Grommets...

user posted image
CptTripps
Cram one in each hole...and Bob's your uncle!

user posted image
CptTripps
Here's what I did for the outside one. I stacked two (one pictured) on a long bolt, with a washer on either side. That did 2 things...It got the hole plugged, and it got a solid-yet mushey hold on that outside hole.

user posted image
CptTripps
Next I re-wrapped the wiring int he trunk. I used the black cloth-tape that they use for hockey sticks.

user posted image
CptTripps
Now lets close it all up and check the gaps.

user posted image
CptTripps
Wake up and open your eyes! Wow...it worked....first time! I also COMPLETELY forgot that the PO put Xenon bulbs in!

smilie_pokal.gif

user posted image
tat2dphreak
smile.gif

dude, that is looking sweet!! great job! your speed is an inspiration!!
CptTripps
Yesterday I concentrated on getting the doors on, and the interior latching working. Got that all put together so I can drive around with DOORS now! (What a great concept!)

I also did the rear lights so I'm a little more 'legal' than I was before.

I found a problem with the brake-light switch, so I'm going to have to spend some time with that, or order another one. sad.gif Anyone have a spare???
mikelsr
Just so I can ask a silly question, are you sure it's the switch?

The reason I ask is because I thought I had a switch problem (I do understand that you are much more familiar with the 914 than me) with mine when I replaced the master cylinder. It ended up being that I didn't understand where the lever was supposed to go and even worse I didn't know how to adjust it once I figured out where the lever went. I finally figured it out. I have 4 different manuals and they all suck.

Mike
CptTripps
Well, the one I have is cracked so there is only one screw holding it in place. I'm PRETTY sure where the switch goes...if anyone has a pic for SURE...I'd appreciate it.

I'm going to try to glue mine tonight. That might help a bit too...
McMark
I'm 90% sure I have a brake light switch for you. I'll check tomorrow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.