Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Travis' 72 914-6 Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
porschetub
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 4 2019, 01:50 PM) *

Those Holdens are dandy cars.

That they are,I drove the second one manual one imported to my country ,Holden stopped making them which was strange as they sold pretty well,word is parts are very hard to find as GM Australia destroyed the tooling specific to this model.
TravisNeff
Parts are hard to come by, there are a few places that snatched up what was on the shelves, but they don't have everything. It's a fun and nice driving car, pulls like a freight train. The mustang gives up the power a little easier though.

First pass of grinding, I'll need to bodywork along the long seam before I do anymore.
914 Ranch
Thanks Travis, nice updates...
TargaToy
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Mar 25 2019, 02:09 PM) *

Continuing to chip away at small stuff, but was distracted this past weekend.

My Daughter finally got her drivers license and I am a proud dad! The drivers exam person said in the few years she has been working there, only two people did the test with a manual trans. Ye-uh!

Looking great, Travis. Congrats on the progress!

It's cool that your daughter drives a manual. I'm the father of 3 daughters and the rule in our house was that everybody's first car had to be a manual. It was always cool that most of their male friends could only drive automatics and they were showing up to school in a 5 speed Supra.

But I digress. I wanted to comment on your daughter's Def Leppard shirt. You've evidently imparted some other good influences such as music. One of my favorite 80's bands. First album I ever bought was Pyromania.
sixnotfour
I thought I should dig out your B-day present,,kinda got a bit nervous when all I saw was this....
sixnotfour
Went to another undisclosed area and found this...
H-Bday..
TravisNeff
Woohoo!

Funny story. For my 40th birthday I bought myself a 3.2 DME engine and was in on the group buy for the flares. I found out that I was in a position to buy a house and sold those items off. So, 10 years later.. I get to finish what I started. Happy Day
TravisNeff
Chipping away at it. Replaced the passenger door jamb, still some clean up to do. And ended up replacing the sail panel. More bodywork is needed as it caved in when I welded it. Getting there..
bbrock
Love it! welder.gif
sixnotfour
slight delay, i last saw them ...
TravisNeff
No worries. I have stuff to fix before I am ready. I ordered some clekos this morning
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Nov 20 2019, 11:22 AM) *

Woohoo!

Funny story. For my 40th birthday I bought myself a 3.2 DME engine and was in on the group buy for the flares. I found out that I was in a position to buy a house and sold those items off. So, 10 years later.. I get to finish what I started. Happy Day

Similar thing happened when we had the chance to buy a house...914 came back from paint and sat for a long time.

But also gotta say…your 914 is cooler without the flares. I thought about them, too, and love the 914 both ways, but appreciate the narrow cars more and more as the years pass.

Happy Thanksgiving, Travis!!
TravisNeff
Thanks Pete. I like them both ways too. But I have gone this far, might as well go all in. Next one will will be a narrow body. I have another 1/2 a car in parts.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!
TravisNeff
Pete has me thinking...
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Nov 30 2019, 03:53 PM) *

Pete has me thinking...

With your skillset—and your 914's current state—you ought to call John Holleran at Holleran's Performance. He does the best "NB" rear flares I've ever seen. One very long cut, and then a shorter one plus a bit of metal. Almost invisible, with the only clue being the "shoulder" up top gets a bit wider. Otherwise very hard to tell. But the car looks better. And the rear fender still ties into the rockers in front of and in back of the rear wheel properly.

It's worth it, IMO, and I may be following suit. John should have some pics.
sixnotfour
uh 951.....8x16.....ask your realtor.............I have no more.
................................9x15s
TravisNeff
I wish I had the cash for 15x9's and the damn tires that fit.
sixnotfour
I can ship the flairs anywhere , boxed ready to go ...wherever..LMK
sixnotfour
7.5x16......just off the golf...only prob. is the look no lip..,,made from 6x16s
sixnotfour
7x16 china cheep,,but fit...let me help you spend momoney..
sixnotfour
1yr only C4S wheel,,all 4 here are 7x16....
sixnotfour
Fiskie this Fiskie that, Momoney 17x7.5 ,,have 4
bigkensteele
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 30 2019, 03:56 PM) *

QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Nov 30 2019, 03:53 PM) *

Pete has me thinking...

With your skillset—and your 914's current state—you ought to call John Holleran at Holleran's Performance. He does the best "NB" rear flares I've ever seen. One very long cut, and then a shorter one plus a bit of metal. Almost invisible, with the only clue being the "shoulder" up top gets a bit wider. Otherwise very hard to tell. But the car looks better. And the rear fender still ties into the rockers in front of and in back of the rear wheel properly.

It's worth it, IMO, and I may be following suit. John should have some pics.

That is exactly what I want to do to accommodate my 951 16x8s. Please post pics if you can dig any up.
TravisNeff
Look up Muellers frankenflares. This is close to what was described. I had to find these on Rennlist.
TravisNeff
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 3 2019, 02:07 PM) *

7x16 china cheep,,but fit...let me help you spend momoney..

HAHA! I am going to stick with those 16x8's 10.6ET that I bought from you and give it the same crazy green treatment with the GT flares. I figure that a 21mm spacer behind those in the rear would give me the same offset to the outside of the rim as a 15x9 ET3. From there I can find out how much work would be to make them fit. And then when i win the lottery I can pick up a pair of the 15x9's
sixnotfour
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Dec 4 2019, 08:41 AM) *

Look up Muellers frankenflares. This is close to what was described. I had to find these on Rennlist.

Or Tangerine Racing
Gearup
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 4 2018, 11:01 PM) *

Well onto the not so fun stuff. Rust Repair. Several years ago I bought a mig welder and went crazy welding everything in sight. I welded in an engman inner long kit and got the longs too hot which fuquered up my door gaps. I was able to fix this with some good advice here on the site. Since then I have been leary of welding on the car.

Rear trunk floor is shot. I cut this out and have an RD panel to replace it. I also scored a heat shield from a member here. I tossed my old one years ago when it was rattling around in my swiss style trunk floor.

The rear panel on the car was replaced at some point in it's life and only one trunk support survived. I was able to fab up a couple of supports. I also had to weld in new metal to the rear panel as it was rusting where it met the trunk floor. This was an ugly job, I will edit this post later when I take a pic. Good thing the bumper covers that crap up!

Hey there. What heads are those that you used to get the paint off. Are they metal bristle. I’m about to get in my trunk and remove all the old layers of paint and redo? Thanks, Brett
TravisNeff
24 or 36 grit reloc disks on an air die grinder. An angle grinder with a knotted wire wheel. On the big panels a da with a 36 grit disk.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Dec 4 2019, 07:41 AM) *

^ Yep, that's the road. It's been done many times, though getting it so it looks like it came that way seems to be rarely accomplished. The rear fenders don't look pulled, and the only clue that they're flared is that the "shoulder" of the top of the rear fender is a bit wider...noticeable mainly where the crease begins and heads up to the targa bar. It's a very slick look, but hard to find good pictures of. I've seen in on maybe 2-3 cars. A yellow 914-6 that was in VW & Porsche magazine years ago (iirc), a dark blue 914 six conversion that sadly burned, and a 914 in the east bay area that had custom widened VW wheels with dog-dish hub caps. Was still in primer, but it looked killer.

I like the Tangerine look, too, but it is immediately noticeable.

JRust
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 5 2019, 07:33 PM) *

^ Yep, that's the road. It's been done many times, though getting it so it looks like it came that way seems to be rarely accomplished. The rear fenders don't look pulled, and the only clue that they're flared is that the "shoulder" of the top of the rear fender is a bit wider...noticeable mainly where the crease begins and heads up to the targa bar. It's a very slick look, but hard to find good pictures of. I've seen in on maybe 2-3 cars. A yellow 914-6 that was in VW & Porsche magazine years ago (iirc), a dark blue 914 six conversion that sadly burned, and a 914 in the east bay area that had custom widened VW wheels with dog-dish hub caps. Was still in primer, but it looked killer.

I wonder how long ago was the blue six & if it was a 2.7? I bought a burned one mid 2000's that had a serious engine fire. Bought it for the full 5 lug suspension. This one was a nice car before the fire. Although the heat brought out some bond on the flares section across the top. Looks like they cut the top & pull it out an inch or so. Welded a joiner plate from the bottom side. Then filled the gap with bondo. I bet it looked great before. I got a bunch of very nice parts off that car. Not even sure it was the same one but just sounds about right. I haven't some across to many 914's flared like that
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 5 2019, 08:31 PM) *

I wonder how long ago was the blue six & if it was a 2.7? I bought a burned one mid 2000's that had a serious engine fire. Bought it for the full 5 lug suspension. This one was a nice car before the fire. Although the heat brought out some bond on the flares section across the top. Looks like they cut the top & pull it out an inch or so. Welded a joiner plate from the bottom side. Then filled the gap with bondo. I bet it looked great before. I got a bunch of very nice parts off that car. Not even sure it was the same one but just sounds about right. I haven't some across to many 914's flared like that

Almost has to be the one. Very pretty dark blue (metallic, I think) six conversion with those flares, a 2.7, five-lug wheels (951 16s, all polished, last time I saw the car). Built by a high school guy who was the son of a Porsche mechanic. I think he did everything on the car himself back then, or alongside his dad, and learned a lot in the process. Would have been circa 1990-1992. He sold it to a high school kid whose dad had an Abarth (double bubble?) to fund his next build, I think?

So what happened to the tub? The "kid" who did built that car is in his 40s now and did my six conversion and built my 2.2. Very talented and very nice guy who has done probably a dozen six conversions and who knows how many engines. He's built another 914 for himself, but was just mentioning how much he wishes he hadn't sold his high school car.
sixnotfour

thats because they are bigger..9s

really noticeable..yellow 914/ Galen Beiker..88 vw porsche, mag. ...9x15s

green -6 951-8s

I had 951 8s with 245/50s, used a 1x4 to roll em,,wheels now on movequick's yellow 914, his shop had a hell of a time ??+
my white 914..burnt paint is from misc 7s......body is now back to factory..aka back to mom
914forme
My -4 race car was flared like that, not pretty but I had a week to do it between races. And it ran that way for years.

Takes 3 cuts one at the top, and one about mid way up the side in front of the wheel, and one on the rear to keep the shape of the wheel arch. Then pull out to where you want, and run a filler in all the areas. My car ran a bit of bondo to get it a 20/20 car, 20 feet and 20 mph, it looked stock.

In reality there is plenty of metal in there if you wanted to stretch it a bit. Lots of time with a palm nailer and a polished head will get it done. They also now make heads for short stroke air chisels you can move some serious metal with them.

I did it all by hand with my trusty English leg wheel. A leather purse with a bag of shot zipped in it, don't tell the wife, it had a bunch of ugly ass Gs all over it, it was just calling me to hit it with a hammer for days on end. She complained a year latter about a Gucci this or that, confused24.gif

lol-2.gif

No it was a cheap leather purse all black that she gave me. Luckily she is not into fancy purse with Gs, just cars, specifically German cars that tend to cost me more coin than a purse with a G on it.

I am one lucky SOB
TravisNeff
Needed to get some tires for rollers for the 16x8's. Found on the facebook classifieds brand new set of RE-11 225/50/16. Date codes are a bit old (2015), but price was good. They don't make these in 16 anymore. He threw third one in gratis.
Tdskip
I spy a not so hidden 911....
TravisNeff
The parts car? yes smile.gif
TravisNeff
parts o plenty
TravisNeff
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 3 2019, 02:28 PM) *

Fiskie this Fiskie that, Momoney 17x7.5 ,,have 4

Can you even get hoops anymore for the Fikse wheels? They'd look awful good on the 911. Here's my favorite narrow body iroc look. I have the early turbo tail and rubber in my stash
sixnotfour
I bought hoops for fiske's in corvette /chev forums,,,,they bend em up pretty often,,well they used to.10 yrs ago they where still around..
I had em on a 930, untill I sold it ..the guy totaled the 930 with in a month and got em back,,
what was 17 is now 18,19,20..
TravisNeff
Busy morning today. Got the tires mounted, the re-11 tires run really wide, more like a 245 carcass.

Then a ring at the doorbell and I have a big box from Jeffe'

I know that these repro flares need some adjustments right out of the box. Trying to figure out where that has to be is a little puzzling.

If I put the flares up and the lower lip matches the bottom of the fender return, the main wheel opening is about 1/2" higher than the stock wheel opening. If I move it down so that it matches closely to the existing fender openings (front, back & top of the lip), i will need to do some work to the bottom of the flares where they meet the fenders.

I also think that the top of the fender, the flare should be more flat. Looking for input.
sixnotfour
those 8s blasted up well....
the front of the rear , and the rear of the front will be your last thing to think about ten times..
sixnotfour
since your showing ass draggers, here is my 87, 10yrs ago, yellow bird bumpers,
16x9, 951 -8s,,, now has RS brmpers/long hood..sorta...
TravisNeff
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 7 2019, 02:59 PM) *

the front of the rear , and the rear of the front will be your last thing to think about ten times..

Perfect! thank you very, very much. C & D are good. The only thing I am battling with now is that there is a couple mm variance along the top/long edge of the wheel opening. +2mm at the front. I am gonna have to do a little bending at the leading top edge of the edge of the flare.
TravisNeff
Cleco freak-o
TravisNeff
A little more work done. Cut out some of the rear fender and did a test fit of the rear wheels. The flare needed a little work (that's why there is a ton of clecos back there. The rear top corner wants to pull out. Fixed some of that; but will need more work,

Measured up and locked down the front passenger side. This will need less work
sixnotfour
Lookin Hippy
mb911
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 7 2019, 01:59 PM) *

@sixnotfour how accurate is the through hood filler location?
sixnotfour
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 10 2019, 05:51 AM) *

Posted from Patrick Motorsports
914forme
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 10 2019, 07:51 AM) *

Ben @MB911 I would put some play doe on your fuel cap high enough that it will squish when lid is closed. Then trim play do to the be just the cap, mark the center. Add a small piece of lip stick. You decide the color, place that right in the center of your center marks. And shut the lid. Now you know the center, and you can work it out from their.

Due to fit and fitment issues, I would not trust measurements from one car to another.

Back to Travis' build, really liking the work
TravisNeff
Front passenger flare is mostly on. Still have to finish welding at the bottom and found a couple of pinholes when I was grinding down. Then onto body working it. The rear and front of the quarter panel is thin from previous work and the first tack weld it start falling in.

Lots of ripples in the top of the flare and I think it should have a little more shape. Anyways, progress.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.