Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Irish Green '71 "Resto"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
jaredmcginness
Alright guys.

My story with this car, for the time being, has come to a close.

With all the projects going on, as well as a wedding coming up frighteningly soon (surprise!) it was best to let something go.... why not sell the car that runs??

IPB Image

I had the 914 up for sale for just about a month. I showed the car to 5 or 6 people, all of which found something that didn't justify my price, mostly the paint quality.

The buyer came around, already the owner of several 914s.
He knows their quirks well and is prepared for any surprises. smile.gif
It's new home is across the Bay Bridge on the eastern shore of Maryland.

The new owner actually picked this car up for him and his young, new-driver granddaughter. The family has a passion for racing and this car is supposed to be the catalyst, starting with autocross.
Apparently she has never driven a stick before - 3 hours after delivering the car I received a video OF the 16 year old driving the 914 and SCREAMING with joy!

That is AWESOME to see, someone truly thrilled - especially after 4 weeks of criticism, haha. dry.gif

It wouldn't have been ME and THIS CAR if I didn't have an issue on my way down there right?? Ran out of gas!

IPB Image

Makes for good photo OPs though.

IPB Image

Anyways, It was other wise a fun and uneventful drive down. Happy/sad. Nice to have 1 less thing, honestly. The deal I made was.
"If you want to sell in a few years, call me first" otherwise, I'd like to find a nice original paint car in a weird color like Sepia, down the road when it makes a little more sense.

Come a long way from 4 years ago; a car just about ready to fall in half, with a seized up heart.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I've said it before, but thanks to all you guys for the help and countless questions and parts. I'm extremely grateful for the friendships and the opportunities that this car brought (side work, restoring more Porsches!)
I'm not going anywhere, just wont be behind the wheel of a 914 for now. I have 5 other cars to tend to. beerchug.gif

I hope this thread has been helpful to even one person, motivating someone to try doing this work yourself. I know everyone says this, but in the greatest sense... If I can do it, anyone can.

Here's a final drive video, of me riding off into the sunset:

Final drive video.

Cheers,
Jared

nditiz1
Excellent journey Jared, it has been fun. Thanks for bringing us along for the ride.
horizontally-opposed
Congrats on your engagement, and coming marriage. beerchug.gif

Thank you for sharing your journey with this car. Love the point it got to, and have a funny response to the people picking at the paint, as someone who has picked at the paint on his own 914 and repainted it three times—I don't think I'd paint this 914. I dig its vibe, and hope I'll see it one day. wub.gif

And love where this car went, and its new driver's story.
FlacaProductions
Nice work - you'll be back....
tygaboy
SOLD! SOLD! SOLD! smash.gif

Great to hear you closed the deal. Better yet it went to a young enthusiest - we need the next generation to carry on with the carrying on around these wonderful little cars.

Keep us posted on all your other auto exploits...?
BeatNavy
Congrats, Jared. I knew if was for sale when my daughter sent me a link to it from Facebook. I said..."I know that car..." smile.gif

QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ May 8 2023, 07:30 AM) *

What town did it go to (PM if you like). I'll keep an eye out for it.
nditiz1
I actually thought you were the one to buy it av-943.gif
BeatNavy
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ May 8 2023, 11:40 AM) *

I actually thought you were the one to buy it av-943.gif

I just checked the garage. Nope wasn’t me biggrin.gif
jaredmcginness
QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 8 2023, 10:52 AM) *

SOLD! SOLD! SOLD! smash.gif

Keep us posted on all your other auto exploits...?

Will do!

I have a few things currently in various stages of restoration.
The non-running/rusty stable, in no particular order:

'68 912 Light Ivory
'74 911S Targa Ice Green
'93 VW Corrado SLC Silver
'71 FJ40 Land Cruiser
'78 HD Shovelhead

As well as 2 customer cars that get more attention than the ones above.

The sale of the 914 will help fund a few things for those cars.

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ May 8 2023, 12:21 PM) *

Congrats, Jared. I knew if was for sale when my daughter sent me a link to it from Facebook. I said..."I know that car..." smile.gif

QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ May 8 2023, 07:30 AM) *

What town did it go to (PM if you like). I'll keep an eye out for it.

Awesome! It went over to the Centreville area. bye1.gif Was a nice drive over, but stopped traffic, up hill, on the bay bridge in a 914 you're about to sell wasn't on my bucket list.

Thank you guys!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.