Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCR 2011-Medford OR June 23,24,25,26 - SIGN UP NOW
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
jsaum
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ May 10 2011, 09:49 PM) *

So that is the only hotel in White City? It looks like the next closest hotel is ~20 minutes away in Medford?

I stayed at the Super 8 motel in Central point a few years ago it's 5.2 miles from White city, price line is showing rooms at $69.00 per night. If there are more people looking for rooms I can call and see if we can get a group rate and maybe see if they have a shuttle bus for the drinkers!

Jsaum
Jakeodoule
There are also hotels north just north in Eagle Point or further up in Shady Cove. Shady Cove has some really nice motels right on the River.
Nice small towns away from the freeway.
I have stayed in most of the Hotels in Medford on business many times and they are very noisy.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(Jakeodoule @ May 11 2011, 12:05 PM) *

There are also hotels north just north in Eagle Point or further up in Shady Cove. Shady Cove has some really nice motels right on the River.
Nice small towns away from the freeway.
I have stayed in most of the Hotels in Medford on business many times and they are very noisy.

When you said La Quinta Inn, I said that was perfect because of the location. It's just like you said, All the other hotels and Motels are in town and either near the freeway or some kind of shopping center. very congested.

Central Point and Eagle point are a little ways away but nice. Personally I would rather stay there than in the city of Medford.
montoya 73 2.0
**UPDATE**

i just spoke to Nora (manager) at La Quinta. As we already know the hotel is filled, All 72 rooms (we have 30) and there is a wedding happening Saturday. They took a good portion of the other 42 rooms.

Anyways, Nora said if we wanted we could set up tents on the other side of the fence, One of the owners of the hotel also owns the empty dirt and grass lot next door. The only thing is *They will not assume any kind of liabilty* if you do camp there. I'm sure a few people with rooms will let you campers use their showers? Plus, we will be parking any trailers or motor homes that don't want to pay the RV place in that field.

For those of you that want to wash your vehicles, The host hotel will provide us an area, a spicket, a hose and some water to use at our leisure!

Thats it for now...
Mike Knox
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ May 10 2011, 09:49 PM) *

So that is the only hotel in White City? It looks like the next closest hotel is ~20 minutes away in Medford?

There are many hotels closer, in Central Point, or by the Medford Airport. What are you looking for? Cheap? Suites? Good Food? All of the Above?

I can give you directions for back roads to get to the action more enjoyably, and faster!!

Mike
dw914er
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ May 11 2011, 04:18 PM) *

**UPDATE**

For those of you that want to wash your vehicles, The host hotel will provide us an area, a spicket, a hose and some water to use at our leisure!

Thats it for now...

sweet beerchug.gif
TC 914-8
icon_bump.gif
JRust
Holy crap only 37 days until WCR! I need to get my ass in gear & get my 914's running. I know I am not the only one people. Get out & work on your teener welder.gif smash.gif wacko.gif
Rocky
I finally found time to register and really need a long road trip to get away from the work thing!

Lookin forward the this event and seeing all your happy faces again!

I assume we can get together some puget sounders to road trip down together thursday?

Rocky
Jakeodoule
Don't think we'll be doing much driving up at the Lake....
The road around the lake will not be open till late July or even august according to the Park service. You can still drive up to the lodge and back down but thats it.
There is a cafe open but the restaurant may not be open till the major snow is gone. Its over 25 feet deep at the moment!

Dr Evil and I stopped up there on the way back from last years WCR and the snow was at least 15 feet high. We have had way more snow this winter than last. It will be a quick stop up at the lake. You have to hike up over the snow to see the lake.

Check the web cam! There is no way this much snow will be gone in 4 weeks.
We may want to look into another lunch place.

http://www.nps.gov/pwr/customcf/apps/webca...250782839022577
montoya 73 2.0
I spoke with the rangers station a few months ago. They told me that 48 to 55 feet of snow is about the average. Last year they had a little over 48 feet and they were able to get the whole drive around the rim open by June 20th. now I just spoke to the Rangers station and this year "They may not be able too, due to other projects being more important" so we probably won't be able to drive all the way around the rim.

The Ranger did say the cafe and the lodge restaurant should be open for lunch by mid June. There is also Annie Creek Restaurant closer to the entrance (Mazama camp grounds) that will open Mid June. The gas station will also be open.

The cafe and both restaurants can be seen at the following website;
Crater Lake Lodge-
jzdu
Fees paid for my son and I. Car still not running, but should be done soon. I'm looking forward to seeing some other 914s besides mine.
ThinAir
The last time I was a Crater Lake was in July and it was clear skies and no snow on the ground. But in June of 1995 the weather was so cool that we drove all the way from Las Vegas to Reno without a/c and when we got to Crater Lake it was snowing, the snow piles were at least as high as our heads and the lake basin was completely filled with clouds. Restaurants were open so eating was no problem. Weather at CL is very changeable, which is part of what makes it so interesting to go there. My dream idea of a day there in June would be lots of snow around, but clear skies so you can see the lake. I don't care about not being able to drive around the lake.
montoya 73 2.0
thumb3d.gif
hot_shoe914
Well it looks like you guys will have to wait til next year to meet the Shoe. sad.gif I got screwed out of my time off at work mad.gif and will no longer be able to make the trip. Hoping I can do something with my plane ticket. confused24.gif On the bright side this takes a little pressure off of Jamie to get a car running for me so maybe he can have one for himself to drive. poke.gif If anything changes I will let you know.

Shoe
PeeGreen 914
sad.gif
dw914er
paypal sent w00t.gif
montoya 73 2.0
blink.gif 31 Days to go people! I'm trying to hurry myself!!! sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
Rocky
Looks to be a good turnout! Thanks mucho for stepping up for such a great event.

Just installed a new windshield after replacing the original. What a difference! Betta be no rocks on the way down!

Did I just jinx myself?
JRust
Morph at 914 Appearance & Performance is sending us a few goodies for prizes piratenanner.gif . If you have been on the fence blink.gif .Hop off that sucker & come driving.gif . Less than a month away. Don't know how the heck I am going to finish my car but I will have one ready this year. Hell with one that won't come off the trailer.
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(Rocky @ May 23 2011, 07:44 PM) *

Just installed a new windshield after replacing the original. What a difference! Betta be no rocks on the way down!

Did I just jinx myself?

No jinx here. I just knocked on some wood for ya.

I have a new one sitting here in my shop that I need to install in my 914. . . I'm looking forward to less glare from all the sand chips,. . . and the huge cracks!
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ May 26 2011, 08:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Rocky @ May 23 2011, 07:44 PM) *

Did I just jinx myself?

No jinx here. I just knocked on some wood for ya.

I have a new one sitting here in my shop that I need to install in my 914. . . I'm looking forward to less glare from all the sand chips,. . . and the huge cracks!

I need a new one but I think I will be going with something light weight when I replace this one biggrin.gif Just stay away from trucks wink.gif
Todd Enlund
July 3rd, 2006 the rim drive was open 2/3 of the way around the lake. There was this much snow:

Click to view attachment
dw914er
^^ at least that means our cars won't be running that hot lol
Mike Knox
QUOTE(dw914er @ May 26 2011, 11:15 AM) *

I live in Ashland, and the last time I drove my 914 to Crater Lake it was a hot day in August. It was a PCA Chapter outing, and I chased a 911S all the way up the hill. chowtime.gif

He would get ahead on the straights, but every turn I'd be tucked in right behind him. happy11.gif He was not happy that a NARP would make him look so impotent.

The rim is about 7,000 feet, and the 2056cc 4 (with stock D-Jet) I had then, didn't like the altitude. As the fuel/air ratio changed and got richer the car heated up. mad.gif

So beware. That drive to the top can be dicey.

After 5-1/2 years of rebuild and customization, my 914 is now a (3.2) sixer. I'm still doing the post rebuild shakedown, so I don't know if I'll be able to go on the Crater Lake drive.

I AM designing the route though. It will have twisties, high speed climbs, deserted straights, and lots of Oregon scenery. We'll go through 3-4 climate zones on the way up and back.

Mike
jzdu
QUOTE(Mike Knox @ May 26 2011, 04:31 PM) *

QUOTE(dw914er @ May 26 2011, 11:15 AM) *

I live in Ashland, and the last time I drove my 914 to Crater Lake it was a hot day in August. It was a PCA Chapter outing, and I chased a 911S all the way up the hill. chowtime.gif

He would get ahead on the straights, but every turn I'd be tucked in right behind him. happy11.gif He was not happy that a NARP would make him look so impotent.

The rim is about 7,000 feet, and the 2056cc 4 (with stock D-Jet) I had then, didn't like the altitude. As the fuel/air ratio changed and got richer the car heated up. mad.gif

So beware. That drive to the top can be dicey.

After 5-1/2 years of rebuild and customization, my 914 is now a (3.2) sixer. I'm still doing the post rebuild shakedown, so I don't know if I'll be able to go on the Crater Lake drive.

I AM designing the route though. It will have twisties, high speed climbs, deserted straights, and lots of Oregon scenery. We'll go through 3-4 climate zones on the way up and back.

Mike

Cool, sounds fun. I have lived here in the valley for 30 years, but haven't been to Crater Lake for 5 years or so.
montoya 73 2.0

Mike

thumb3d.gif So far so good Mike!
ThinAir

The rim is about 7,000 feet, and the 2056cc 4 (with stock D-Jet) I had then, didn't like the altitude.

Since my 914 lives at 7,000 feet this should be no problem biggrin.gif
ThinAir
New towing rig to accommodate bicycles and the teener. Everything fits together perfectly. We're ready to go! driving.gif
Click to view attachment
jzdu
QUOTE(ThinAir @ May 28 2011, 12:21 PM) *

New towing rig to accommodate bicycles and the teener. Everything fits together perfectly. We're ready to go! driving.gif
Click to view attachment

Sweet setup! Eurovans are cool
rick 918-S
23 days before I have to leave, all my cars are shreaded, no resorvations yet, and in the middle of a pile of storm claims. dry.gif I can't imagine were going to make it.
JRust
QUOTE(jzdu @ May 28 2011, 01:26 PM) *

QUOTE(ThinAir @ May 28 2011, 12:21 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Sweet setup! Eurovans are cool

agree.gif That is a great way to come out! Nice to see your all ready to go. I wish I could say the same sad.gif . I still have time to get one going though smile.gif
Mike Bellis
I'm going to have to kick Jamie's ass on the autocross next year... biggrin.gif
jimtab
NEWS FLASH! My neice in Grants Pass was just named Miss Rogue River so I will be going down to see her at the "Rooster Crow" in Rogue River on Saturday instead of driving to Crater Lake, but it's ok since I've been there many times. I'm so getting antsy to be going.....
JRust
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ May 28 2011, 06:09 PM) *

I'm going to have to kick Jamie's ass on the autocross next year... biggrin.gif

Who knows if they will even have an autoX next year. Guess you better get of your ass & do it this year evilgrin.gif
computers4kids
Jamie, the suspense is killing me...
Which car is going to the WCR this year? I've been pulling satellite images of your place and still have not uncovered this mystery. smile.gif

Did you hear...my son is having twin girls. I'm pretty excited. Unfortunately the girls arrival maybe during the WCR. She's getting pretty big and on bed rest now--she's very petite.

I need 914 therapy.
JRust
QUOTE(computers4kids @ May 29 2011, 07:06 AM) *

Jamie, the suspense is killing me...
Which car is going to the WCR this year? I've been pulling satellite images of your place and still have not uncovered this mystery. smile.gif

Did you hear...my son is having twin girls. I'm pretty excited. Unfortunately the girls arrival maybe during the WCR. She's getting pretty big and on bed rest now--she's very petite.

I need 914 therapy.

That is great your son is having twin girls. I hope it happens before WCR for you. Mine were a month early & my wife was huge. She was not confined to bed rest but didn't move around a whole lot the last month.

On which car I am bringing you will just have to wait & see.. Most likely will be whatever car is running first. Most likely will be the v8. I've got a few more things to weld in place before I can put it back together. Hopefully I can get my buddy Ian to come down & weld for me.
montoya 73 2.0
Jamie, Got the motor and trans pulled yesterday! The heads to the new motor (to me) are being rebuilt. I decided to not open up the motor, if I would have I know for sure there wouldn't be a chance of me showing up with a working Teener. So I'm taking a chance. Sandblasting the tins this holiday weekend to powdercoat next weekend. I just may make it!
J P Stein
The check is in the mail. biggrin.gif
I finger this is as near as an old fart can plan ahead.
JRust
QUOTE(J P Stein @ May 31 2011, 07:26 AM) *

The check is in the mail. biggrin.gif
I finger this is as near as an old fart can plan ahead.

Excellent JP! Be nice to see you out on the track again. You were going to co drive with Randal right? It's going to be such a great weekend. It is coming fast too
J P Stein
QUOTE(JRust @ May 31 2011, 01:28 PM) *

Excellent JP! Be nice to see you out on the track again. You were going to co drive with Randal right?

Right, now all I need is a place to stay. After a search, there don't seem to be any motels/hotels in White City other than La Quinta. Anybody know of anything close?
Mike Knox
Hi J.P.!!

You wrote:
"...... now all I need is a place to stay. After a search, there don't seem to be any motels/hotels in White City other than La Quinta. Anybody know of anything close?"

White City is about 6 miles from both Medford and Central Point. For plush you could try Rogue Regency at exit 30, for budget try Holiday Inn Express at exit 33. A little closer would be the Super 8 towards the airport from exit 33. Of course at the airport there are a couple of Marriott and Sheraton suite places.

You won't be far from the action.

Mike

My 100th post BTW!!
Britain Smith
Yea, I also need a place to crash. I got an air mattress. I will only be there Thursday night and Friday...I will head back home Friday night.

-Britain
JRust
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ May 31 2011, 09:58 PM) *

Yea, I also need a place to crash. I got an air mattress. I will only be there Thursday night and Friday...I will head back home Friday night.

-Britain

We will have the empty lot available next to the motel lot. So all those with trailer will be parking them there. They gave us the thumbs up for tents & rv's besides trailers. That is one option.

Not sure on when my family is coming down. I think thursday night in which case I won't have a spare bed. If they don't come down until friday then I will have room. I won't know that until the week of though confused24.gif
montoya 73 2.0
Hey people, 21 days till WCR 2011!

just received some more swag for the raffle prizes! Man this is going to be a kick ass WCR!!!!!
Jakeodoule
Got all the trophies done. smilie_pokal.gif

Who will win best in show? pray.gif first.gif
Click to view attachment
mstein95
WOW - Looks great!! thumb3d.gif Wish i had a car to compete for it.
jzdu
QUOTE(Jakeodoule @ Jun 2 2011, 05:12 PM) *

Got all the trophies done. smilie_pokal.gif

Who will win best in show? pray.gif first.gif
Click to view attachment

Sweet trophy! Will there be a prize for the biggest oil leaker? biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(jzdu @ Jun 2 2011, 06:27 PM) *

How about one for the most annoying girlfriend? idea.gif
Jakeodoule

You have a shot at this one!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.