Gint
Reference pics:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Gint
Some very creative repairs on this car. This is the front trunk front seal channel.

(It's supposed to be spot welded like everything else)

Front trunk spring thread

POR-15 thread

IPB Image
Gint
Reference pics:

IPB Image

IPB Image
Gint
Making *some* progress

IPB Image

IPB Image

The seal channel is really hammered. Somebody really thought bondo and fiberglass weave was THE way to repair rust.

IPB Image

IPB Image

That IS a hole

IPB Image

This area is goung to have to be cut out. There was some rust bubbling, and it isn't even close to straight.

IPB Image
Gint
I've decided to push out the schedule. This is taking up too much of my life. Today is my birthday and guess what I'll be doing. It's no fun, and it's become real work at the rate that I'm trying to get it done. I need to talk to my body work guy as he had expectations of a time frame, but I want to wait to get it into the shop until after I get back from vacation mid-July.
Jeroen
Hey Gint,

Happy birthday!

cheers,

Jeroen
Gint
Thanks Yaroon!
seanery
Happy Birthday!!
41, huh?
Man, I feel better about 35.

Good Catch Jeroen.
Gint
Thanks Sean. Nothin you can do about birthdays anyway. It's what you do in the meantime that counts. Make the most of it every day.
krk
Mike,

On the day: Have a great B-day!

On the car: It's not evil to push the sched out. Things are different than you expected. It happens. Take in the new info, and build a new schedule. "life is what happens when you are making other plans". btw, you are making really strong progress -- I am certainly envious!

kim.
brant
happy b-day mike.
sorry I didn't contact you earlier, just got back into town.
Hope you had a great day and I owe you mexican food.
brant
Qarl
Happy Birthday. Hope it isn't filled with too much undiscovered rust!

Have fun with the project.

Regards,

Karl
Gint
Thanks everbody.

Couple of reference pics:

IPB Image

IPB Image
Gint
I wish I'd bought stock in 3M 20 years ago. These disks are the best thing to happen to paint removal since sandpaper itself. IF your going down to bare metal that is. They will very quickly remove two layers of paint and all of the bondo and sealer as well.

IPB Image

The top right one is the type you can buy at FLAPS. The 1/4" collet is OK, but a drill is slow, and a air die grinder has no torque. The lower left (bag of purple units) is available at most larger auto body supply stores. You can put them on a 1/4" collet, but I put them on my grinder. The lower left small-ish unit is the one I wore down to a nub. Eastwood sells a 7" one with a backing pad. I need to order a few of those. I can't find them locally.

This is the package of 4 disks themselves. Part number is visible.

IPB Image
914Timo
Happy Birthday Gint !!

I am glad you have find the disks I would have liked to give you as a birthday present. Arent they superior !! I have used those black ones a long time, but found couple of weeks ago those purple ones even better.

I dont like the wire brush. It removes only loose surface rust and it warms the metal.
Gint
Thanks Timo. And thanks for the email! It was a good way to start off a Monday (OK, it's really Tuesday after the holiday weekend, but...).
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Gint @ May 26 2003, 04:45 PM)
I wish I'd bought stock in 3M 20 years ago. These disks are the best thing to happen to paint removal since sandpaper itself. IF your going down to bare metal that is. They will very quickly remove two layers of paint and all of the bondo and sealer as well.

They also work GREAT for fiberglass repair.

As a bonus it also turns the garage into a place better than an opium den if you are looking to get high from just breathing.

Get a mask or get dizzy.
Gint
I'm using them wth the car on the trailer outside. I got tired of blowing all of the dust out of the garage.
Gint
These panels were dipped first, but it wasn't the really caustic stuff that removes everything but the metal. Pretty strict EPA guidlines on that I believe.

Blasted donor quarter

IPB Image

10 minutes with a DA and 100 grit

IPB Image

IPB Image

All of the surface rust on the engine tray cleaned up. A new battery tray and support will be installed. I will probably POR-15 the engine shelf. Dunno yet.

IPB Image

IPB Image

All of the silicone someone installed between the stiffening ribs and the panels is GONE!

IPB Image

IPB Image

Little bit of bondo to get rid of. The usual spot on the rear trunk lid that is mashed down. There was a *ton* of bondo in this lid.

IPB Image

IPB Image

My B-day ice cream cake!

IPB Image
Brad Roberts
Cut this off..before you take it to the body shop. Not much fun trying to cut it off after its in the car.

I chatted with a person about sand blasting the other day... he says it work hardens the metal and makes it tougher for the body shops to "work". Anyt thoughts on this ??

B
Brad Roberts
Nice Cake !!. Your wife rocks !!

Happy "late" B-Day.

B
Gint
Planning on cutting that 4 cylinder mount off before the quarter goes in. I'll let the metal worker do it. I don't need it. And harder or not, the metal guy will get it done. He's good. I'll ask him about it though.
Brad Roberts
I would install the battery tray also... before the quarter gets welded in..LOL

I'm about 10 days away from having a chassis acid dipped.

B
Gint
Battery tray - will do. That's the plan.

If there was a good acid dip place in town, this tub would have gone for a bath.
Gint
WooHoooo!!!! I talked to Steve again today. He was out of town. We're good for pushing the schedule out. The plan now is to get the car into the shop mid-July. That will give me plenty of time to strip everything myself without stressin over it.

Now, where can I find a DD 914?
seanery
where can I find a DD 914?

what's that?
Gint
Daily Driver

Did I mention cheap? And rust free?
krk
Congrats!

Pacing yourself will keep saniity somewhere near you, maybe almost even in sight. No, it won't be close to you. lol. But it will be the light at the end of the tunnel biggrin.gif Nice work, btw. The panels look really clean.

(sympathies on the B-day -- they do happen to everyone, so don't take it personally)

kim.
Gint
No worries Kim, thanks. There are a lot of things in life we can't control. Like Birthdays. 914's we can fix, growing old we can't.

Live it up.
Malmz
Happy belated b-day old guy...

Just scrolled through this thread and checked out the picts. Ouch... Guess the brown car color wasn't that ugly, huh? (ducking for cover...)

If you are serious about a driver, I can look for you. Does this project mean the families yearly CA trip is off this year? If not, let us know when.

sm
Gint
Hey thanks Steve. No 3-5 trips to Cal this year. I would like to make German Auto Fest, but it's iffy.

If I can't find a decent driver around here, I'll just drive the truck. But if you run across a great roller, I've got motors/heads/carbs/FI/wheels/brakes/sway bars and all kinds of stuff for 4 cylinders in my stash. And I own my own trailer now too. Hitch it up and go you know.

"The Brown Car" was a beauty! It would have made a fantastic conversion car. I wish now I had just held on to it. Live and learn eh?
Brad Roberts
Whats going on Gint ?? I have been out of town for awhile and havent heard from you.

B
brant
Brad,

You may not get a response before this thread fades down...

Mike is on vacation, Cape Cod until the 13th.

Regarding the car. He pushed his deadlines back and was going to deliver to the body shop more in the fall. I'm not trying to steal any thunder from him... hopefully he will see this and respond with a better update.

brant
Jeff Bonanno
bump
Gint
Hey! Look at my old thread bumped to the top!

Broken foot slowed me down. It's doin better. I bought another truck and took the fam on vacation, so I've been incognito. Now my 87 year old grandfather and my dad that I haven't seen since I was 17 (a long time ago) are in town and will be staying at my house next week.

"Rusto" should continue early to mid august when I can finally walk without a huge limp.
brant
You bought another truck?

you mean other than the 72?

wow.

brant
seanery
Hey put 'em to work-free labor!
914kid
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 15 2003, 07:17 PM)
I almost forgot to show this pic.  The worst of it.  That rust continues up the console and under the battery tray.

How can you repair that ?
Lawrence
Bondo!! w00t.gif
tryan
duct(k) tape and bailing wire. lol3.gif
Gint
brant Posted on Jul 16 2003, 08:58 AM

You bought another truck?

you mean other than the 72?

Yup. 67 3/4 ton - NO rust. NONE, zero, nada. Just like the brown car, but a Chevy truck.

67 Chevy

seanery Posted on Jul 16 2003, 08:59 AM

Hey put 'em to work-free labor!

Gramps is 87. They're telling me he doesn't look so good. My dad says he may not make it another year. I may get the old man to do some work though. happy11.gif

914kid Posted on Jul 16 2003, 01:49 PM

The answer to that question is on the first 5 or so pages of the thread.
Alfred
QUOTE(914kid @ Jul 16 2003, 11:49 AM)
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 15 2003, 07:17 PM)
I almost forgot to show this pic.  The worst of it.  That rust continues up the console and under the battery tray.

You need to buy some metal panels from Restoration Design or Mittelmotor. Here's a pic from Restoration Design's web site.

Alfred

IPB Image
Jeroen
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 16 2003, 05:07 AM)
A little surface rust in this channel. Not entirely certain what it's purpose is.

They all have it though. The donor-mobile has the same seam, but it's covered in seam sealer.

Hey Gint,

A little late, but I was just browsing this thread
Check the firewall from the enginebay side. You'll see that this seam is where the "engine shelf" (the part that holds the rubberstrip between the firewall and the engine sheetmetal) is attached to the firewall.

cheers,

Jeroen
ps. what happened to your foot?
seanery
Gint,

those your camaros?

I like, I like.

I'd like to do a 1st gen Camaro with nice suspension, big brakes, hipo 302 Z28 motor and a 6 speed!
Gint

The foot story and The results
BTW, thanks for that tidbit about the engine seal. You're right of course.

seanery Posted on Jul 16 2003, 06:20 PM
those your camaros?

I like, I like.

I'd like to do a 1st gen Camaro with nice suspension, big brakes, hipo 302 Z28 motor and a 6 speed!  

They belong to the guy I bought the truck from. Pretty nice garage the guy has also. After I finish the /6 I'm going to do a truck (maybe this one, maybe a different one), and then I'll finally get an early Camaro or Nova and finish it.

All of that should keep me busy for the next few years.
Jeroen
QUOTE(Gint @ Jul 17 2003, 02:57 AM)

The foot story and The results

That sucks!
Musta missed the thread blink.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Eric Taylor
Gint - What's happening on the 6?
Gint
Brad *may* have convinced me to get back to work on this project. idea.gif
Doug73/2.0
Gint,

I am really enjoying reading about your projects. I've been looking at a several east coast 914's and I learned a lot on where to go poke around...Compared to the first three I've looked at your was mint ( minter??)
Thanks Doug :-)
Gint
My pleasure Doug.

Brad - Are you going to have some time to talk this evening? I'm going to give you a call sometime tonight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.