Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 resto warning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
CptTripps
QUOTE (Gint @ Mar 20 2005, 11:15 AM)
IF I ever do this again, it will be soda blasted and not acid dipped.

Why is that? Just curious...
rhodyguy
there are a number of areas that have 2,3, and maybe more layers of metal sandwiched together. the raw ends got sealent smeared over them to close and seal the gap. my guess is the dip method would remove all of it. you would be leaving lots of exposed seams(many you couldn't get to now) for the rust to do its thing all over again, in areas that were fine previously.

kevin
Gint
Do a search Doug. We've discussed this to death in the past. There is at least one and maybe more threads in the last 12 months for sure where it was discussed ad nauseum.
CptTripps
QUOTE (Gint @ Mar 21 2005, 11:01 AM)
Do a search Doug. We've discussed this to death in the past. There is at least one and maybe more threads in the last 12 months for sure where it was discussed ad nauseum.

Yeah, I usually do a search too....just looking for the Cliff-Notes version. (Do they even still have those?)

rhodyguy answered my question...thats all I was looking for...
Gint
Sorry, I just didn't want to yak it to death here in my progress thread. I like the soda blast because it's non-caustic, and unlike sand, the leftovers can be rinsed away and dissolved with water. So you won't have acid seepage, or sand flying around in the foreseeable future after your resto is complete.

But, what the hell? Live and learn right?
Eric_Shea
It's Tangerine. Or a really reasonable facsimile.

I'll guarantee ya'll... that's as Tangerine as it gets. I followed the color match process. Troy is neurotic about that kinda stuff. wacko.gif

My original "Canary Yellow" was found under the headlight cover. It took nearly a week to get it just right. Jim Chambers can weigh in on that being Canary Yellow...

Gint's paint "really" went on well (only 3-4 big runs). w00t.gif

Seriously, Troy was really pleased with the way it laid out. I'll bet he's blocked it out by now. I'll try to stop by with the the Nikon today. This tub will be stunning.

Andy, shock towers were hand painted black with little care given to the process. That will be a fun one to match. I don't recall from mine but I'm nearly certain it was done "after" the suspension was set. I seem to recall paint on the mounts. Maybe someone can weight in with a picture of the -6 shock tower.

Who's next...? confused24.gif Qarl, how bout we bring that tub up here? Jim? Sean?

Troy and I were discussing a chop-top teener. We were talking about taking 1.5 to 2" out of it. I think it would be the cats-@ss. Who's game?
CptTripps
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Mar 23 2005, 10:12 AM)
Troy and I were discussing a chop-top teener.  We were talking about taking 1.5 to 2" out of it.  I think it would be the cats-@ss.  Who's game?

Damn...I was keeping that idea a secret for my next one! Glad to see great minds think alike!

That should be a different thread though...
Porsche Rescue
I think the camera lied somewhat in pics of the canary yellow six and Gint's tangerine. I agree that the recent tangerine pics don't look quite right. My yellow didn't look right in some of the pics either. It looks different and dead-on correct up close and personal. Eric and Troy do good work.

edit: just looked back, the posts on the 18th look a little too pink. The post on the 19th looks real tangerine to me.
Porsche Rescue
Tangerine applied in Stuttgart in 1971.
Gint
You can't take pictures with two different cameras ('specially digi-cams) of an orange or red car and have them look the same. The same goes for viewing orange or red cars on two different computer monitors/video cards. That's just the way it is.

Talked to Troy today. The tub is basically for all intents and purposes - done. We have tentative plans for me to pick it up the weekend of 4/9-10. You gonna be around that weekend Eric?
Eric_Shea
It's gorgeous drooley.gif

It needs to have a final polish but even without it, your car is stunning. Way to go Gint beerchug.gif

I should be around, unless I have to go to Frankfurt.

I think you should wait, pickup the tub, and take it to WCC. biggrin.gif
Gint
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Mar 23 2005, 09:02 PM)
It's gorgeous drooley.gif

It needs to have a final polish but even without it, your car is stunning.  Way to go Gint  :beer2:

I should be around, unless I have to go to Frankfurt.

I think you should wait, pickup the tub, and take it to WCC.  :D

Ain't a snowball's chance in hell I'll make it to WCC. Especially with this tub.
Gint
The tub has come home! It's been a long time comin. It's a whole lotta tangerine, and it's gorgeous! When I finally get it remove from the "ark" (as my trailer and "box" have been dubbed), I'll post some pics.

Pre Pickup thread

Post and Pickup thread
brant
congrats that is awesome.
can't wait to see it
brant
CptTripps
You are a brave man putting that beauty in a wooden trailer. I'd have had someone with one of those 'race-car' trailers go get it!

Can't wait to see how she goes together!
gopack
Looks like the ark had IT'S targa top put on when the weather got nasty! I guess the soft top didn't make it! I'm glad you got home OK, and it was a pleasure meeting you in SLC saturday!
Gint
QUOTE (brant @ Apr 11 2005, 08:51 AM)
congrats that is awesome.
can't wait to see it
brant

You can! I'm going to need some help mounting trunk lids and doors pretty soon.

QUOTE (CptTripps Posted: Apr 11 2005 @ 08:57 AM)
You are a brave man putting that beauty in a wooden trailer. I'd have had someone with one of those 'race-car' trailers go get it!

Can't wait to see how she goes together!

I don't know why. Heavier, taller lighweight aluminum enclosed trailer vs. lighter, 4' shorter version that I built myself. I wouldn't hesitate to drive this thing across country. Especially if going across Wyoming on I80. Always windy.

QUOTE (gopack Posted: Apr 11 2005 @ 11:06 AM)
Looks like the ark had IT'S targa top put on when the weather got nasty! I guess the soft top didn't make it! I'm glad you got home OK, and it was a pleasure meeting you in SLC saturday!

Thanks Mark! The tarp was pretty beat up after the first hundred miles or so.

Good meeting all of you guys too. As I said in the dinner post, my only regret is that I couldn't spend more time talking to all of you. I was pretty nervous about getting the tub and the parts all packed up and safe to chat too much though.
Gint
This morning after arriving home yesterday evening. The snow stopped during the night. I had over a foot of snow on the front lawn.
Gint
What a difference a day makes. This was 4 hours later (around 11:00 a.m.)
Gint
Safe and sound with not so much as a drop of water on it.
Gint
Shar's checkin out the bright work...
Gint
I can't get a good shot of this little "rasberry" on one of the headlight doors. It happened during transit. I don't know how the hell it happened wrapped up in a blanket.
Gint
QUOTE (Gint @ Apr 11 2005, 07:44 PM)
I can't get a good shot of this little "rasberry" on one of the headlight doors. It happened during transit. I don't know how the hell it happened wrapped up in a blanket.

Forgot the pic.
JeffBowlsby
Repeat after me...

I will never drive this Six in the Rain...

wink.gif
Gint
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Apr 11 2005, 07:45 PM)
Repeat after me...

wink.gif

laugh.gif

You know, I probably won't unless I get caught in it.

BTW - I hope to get this harness to you before WCC Jeff.
CptTripps
That thing looks amazing...

What's the next step? Engine?? Interior??

Looking great man. smilie_pokal.gif
Gint
Thanks Doug. Wait till you see some shots of the tub after I get it out of the trailer. wub.gif Suspension and seals first. The wiring harness will have to go back in after that and before much else does. Bits and pieces after that. Motor will get at least a top end refresh. Carbs are going to get a full rebuild and throttle shaft rebush. $$$ will be the limiting factor. The reconstruction will take at least all summer, and it could very well be much longer depending on availability of funds.
CptTripps
Doens't it suck when you are at the end of things you can pay other people to do, and have to start getting modivated to do them your self. I always hate that part!

My 'Next one' (we all have one of those in our head) will be a lot like the route you are going. I'm interested to see how it all goes together.

Thanks for the great pics...keep up the good work.
Eric_Shea
I like the door shot. I was talking about how straight it was in another thread. If you look at the drywall tape seams in the reflection, you can see how straight that door is. Sharon's reflection is... Sharon's reflection. Almost like a mirror.
Gint
Been busy today; The tub came out of the ark! And I sold off my trailer too. Thanks to Brant, Ferg, Scott S and Kevin (and my gorgeous understanding loving wife who might read this and provide more moola) for coming over to help me enjoy the moment despite the snow and spit from mother nature. I'll get some more pics out later when I can get them all resized. Here's a teaser.

Time for sushi and sake to celebrate. I'm starvin.
Eric_Shea
When I checked out the Denver weather forcast I kinda figured you had to be doing something on your car. biggrin.gif

Gint + New Tub = Snow lol3.gif
Gint
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ May 1 2005, 06:39 PM)
When I checked out the Denver weather forcast I kinda figured you had to be doing something on your car. biggrin.gif

Gint + New Tub = Snow lol3.gif

I can't friggin win with this tub and the weather. If I'm pulling it out of dry storage somewhere, you can pretty much count on some form of precipitation, usually snow.

But it really looks sweet!
Gint
Alrighty then...

The modular ark comes apart. Shar helped me get the top off and the tarp underneath was holding a good deal of water. But none of it hit the tub!
Gint
Shar also helped me remove the walls and the nose cone. Too bad I sold off the trailer. This superstructure worked really well. I could have saved it all and used it for god know what.
Gint
The reveal!
Gint
Shiny!
Gint
'nother
Gint
derriere
Gint
xcv
Gint
Starting to snow... again.
Gint
ewr
Gint
wer
Gint
That's Ferg checkin it out.
Gint
Lousy shot, but it's the last one for now. More as work progresses. Or the weather breaks. dry.gif
Gint
Busted down to page 2 and no comments huh? Should I stop posting progress pics here? Yeah, I'm fishin'... rolleyes.gif
tat2dphreak
smilie_pokal.gif

looks great man!! I didn't see the pics yesterday... I was in the garage! biggrin.gif looks awesome!
seanery
it sure is purdy mike.
Gint
Thanks! I even peeked in the garage this morning before I left for work.

Must be love... wub.gif
Joe Bob
Ferg from the shadows......

CptTripps
I do that every morning....Angie saw me do it last week and was making fun of me for hours. "Did you kiss it goodbye?"

Your car looks awesome man....simply awesome. Looking at your finish, I wish I'd had better body skills when I was working on mine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.