Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 resto warning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Brad Roberts
Oh.. Mike..

I dont own shit. The deal wont be complete for 2 years (buyout period)

B
Brad Roberts
And Doug...

Your brakes suck. Nice calipers, but I think the bias valve is toast. Our 4 cyl cars have better brakes...LOL. I'll look into it.

B
Mueller
I thought Mike knew of the rust on the /6.....now I did recommend that he not buy the 911...too much work for the money and transportation logistics

I wonder if those yellow wheels have surfaced somewhere??
Gint
Where to start.

Douglas:
the cooling system is more than sufficient (it hardly ever leaks oil)

That's worth the purchase price all by itself.

the PO specifically said he repaired that area.

I went back and looked at the pics that the PO had sent you. That side engine shelf looked immaculate (although not stock) in the pics. In retrospect, I probably didn't even give it a second glance when I looked at the car. I was really looking for rust more than anything else. And that whole floorpan thing...

Brad:
you would be a little pissy trying to answer the phone all day also

Don't blame him a bit. Although a girlfriend might help....

Mueller:
I thought Mike knew of the rust on the /6.....

I did indeed. I didn't realize that it was this bad, but I blame no one. I knew it, I bought it. Can't wait to get it back on the road again all shiny and solid.
Gint
Now, where was I?

Good news! The front trunk and fuel tank area are in really good shape. A tiny bit of surface rust here and there, but certainly no major deal at all.

This car had an underbody sway bar at one time. I'll have to patch those holes.
Gint
Tank area passenger

There is some VERY minor surface rust in here. It may not be rust at all, but the paint looks kinda shabby. I'm not sure if I'll mess with the tank area, but a good cleaning, prep and maybe some POR15. I don't know yet until I get everything out of there.
Gint
Tank area Driver's side
Gint
Seal channel surface rust, no biggie.
Gint
Where'd that pic go?
Gint
Inside of the tank looks fantastic. Hard to tell with this pic, but no rust at all.

Gotta get back to work now...
Gint
I wussed and quit early today. Here's a nice shot of the riveted patch panel behind the battery tray.
Gint
And the engine tray....
Gint
Another view
brant
Douglas,

now I feel bad...
I didn't make it over to get a close look at the silver car...

I had only seen it at the track and didn't crawl around on it...

It held its own at the track and I talked to the guy who seemed like a decent guy...

sorry about the rust..

MIKE,
nice pictures....

brant
Gint
watts:
Keep the pictures coming, please. I want to see how some of that deep rust is taken care of.

It will be taken care of with a complete quarter panel. Including the trunk wall, the entire rear long and inner fender and engine shelf up through the firewall and into the cockpit with a portion of the floor pan.
silver six
QUOTE(brant @ Apr 16 2003, 06:49 PM)
Douglas,

now I feel bad...
sorry about the rust..

[QUOTE]

Just to clarify, no one should feel bad. There is no structural rust I am aware of. Brad, can you confirm? In any case, I appreciate your help in the purchase, Brant. There's no way I could have made it out to Colorado and, as I've said, I'm happy with the car.

Brad,

So the rear brakes lock up, right? So my brakes suck, but you can make them rule. Thanks for looking into it.

And, Ginter,

Interesting photos. Can't wait to see the progress.

Douglas
jonwatts
So, Mike, what are we seeing here with the paint? It looks like an orange re-spray over red paint or just a weird camera side effect.

IPB Image
Gint
It's just wierd light. The car did receive a paint job sometime in it's life in the original color (although it appears to be laquer). They only painted the outside of the car. Jambs and trunks are all still factory paint.

Near as I can tell anyway....
Gint
Damn I love tools. The right tool makes all the difference. I was chipping away at undercoating, paint and rust with a putty knife. I went to the unmolested donor car and realized that I was hacking away at seam sealer. I remembered a Pelican post where the guy used a large wire cup brush. Quick trip to Ace. Worked like a champ.
Gint
Took the crap right off.
Gint
This is the plug on the driver's side front floor pan I showed in a previous pic from the inside of the car.
Gint
Near the left rear donut.
Gint
This is the unmolested donor car.
Gint
Right side floorpan exploratory today. This is ugly.
Gint
More...
Gint
The pan isn't all bad though. Here's the center section where it meets the firewall.
Gint
The damaged right rear quarter had some bondo in it.
krk
Dude,

You are taking names. I managed to get a little done on the boxes in my yard. Mr. Yellow runs again -- now we move back to the silver one. I'm doing puppy stuff in this context tho. Keep it up! (we all need motivation :-)

kim.
Gint
Thanks Kim. I'm not getting as much done as fast as I'd like to though. I really need to get movin. My wife's family is coming over tomorrow. And I'm heading over to the track for a couple of hours for the first PCA track event. Lots of rain today. I really ought to get my in-laws to help me push the car up the driveway and back into the garage. wink.gif
Gint
Got the engine on the stand today. 2 liters (2.2? Nobody knows for sure) and 6 cylinders of screamin Porsche power. I'm addicted to the sound. Can't wait to hear it again.
Gint
The $60 ebay engine stand bracket set I bought worked out pretty well. I wasn't thrilled about the fact that the clutch had to be removed to utilize it, but it's still much better than $200+ for the standard types all the vendors sell for these motors.
Gint
After 10 hours a day at work I'm having a really hard time motivating myself to "scrape" a car.
seanery
just find the guys that did the right rear and have em do the rest tongue.gif
Gint
I could probably hire 'em pretty cheap. There is that one problem though. No habla espanol.
shoguneagle
I have been tracking your project. I like to think positive: "You have a very enjoyable project in restoring a car, and you will know what you have in detail when you are done. The joy comes when the project is finished and you stand back with that cold beer looking everything over; an impish grin ttugs at your mouth as deep satisfaction settles in; MAN, THAT COLD BEER IS GOOD".

Steve Hurt
Gint
Thanks for the encoutragement Steve. I'll be back out there in a few minutes scraping, brushing, gringing, etc...
rhodyguy
darn, i wish we were closer. i've got a very nice fender that you need still on car that you could cut off and have for a song. (something by pink floyd). i would think you'd be time and money ahead going that route. i'll read the rest of the posts now and see how bad it gets.

kevin
Gint
I have a parts car that will provide all of the panels I need. Nearly rust free.
shoguneagle
That cold beer sounded so good that I even went out and got one to see how enjoyable it was. IT WAS GOOD!! Wish I lived in Colorado so I could help you. I even went out to the garage and uncovered my 914-8 (sounds impressive, but it was in approximately the same shape as yours, only it had been in a fire burn; I have protected it for fifteen plus years). Now I am taking out the v-8 and making a 2.7 runner; everything totally Porsche

Your parts car looks great and it will all blend together .

I think we should take bets on when you will finish it; I will buy you a six pack if you make me the winner. Seriously, when you get it done in your own time frame, I will buy you a six pack so you can enjoy the deep feeling of satisfaction.

I will watch your resto with great interest.

Steve Hurt
Gint
Thanks Steve. I'm really hoping to have it back on the road by the end of August at least. Sooner would be better.

I didn't get a lot done today, but half of the floorpan tar has been scraped off. A lot of time today was burned up removing this sheet someone riveted and bondo'd under the right side engine shelf. I didn't have to do this since this section of the car will be cut off and replaced anyway, but curiousity was killin' me.
Gint
This is the after pic. It's also a fine example of how NOT to perform rust repair an original 914/6. A repair of this nature will gaurantee you DPO status and really piss off the CO.
Gint
OK, so I had a beer during the course of the work. And now the cheap wine is kickin in. Let's try this again.
Brad Roberts
What are you putting Rotella in ??? Does it really get that cold in CO. ??

B
Gint
Nothin. That's the box the FLAPS gave me when I was buying all the gaskets, oil and tranny fluid for the truck motor swap a month ago. Now it contains the /6 carbs, linkage, fuel pump, filters and lines.

I need more room.
seanery
speaking of cold, I flew into Denver on Friday and was surprised at how much snow was still on the ground. Not just the mountains either!

Damn, it's nice to live in a tropical climate like Indy!!!
Lawrence
Mike,

Nice engine stand. eBay special? One time, or a repeating offer?

Oh... when I've had motors out of my 914/4s, I usually ask a couple of folks to help lift them up onto a workbench. How do you get that /6 engine up on the stand?

Yeah... bondo sucks. But it's a fact of life in today's body work industry: "generally straigten and bondo" or "replace the panel" is often the only two courses of action production body shops use.

-Rusty
Gint
speaking of cold, I flew into Denver on Friday and was surprised at how much snow was still on the ground. Not just the mountains either!
That was fresh snow. It rained most of the week over most of town, but some southeast areas got a good bit of snow.
Gint
Nice engine stand. eBay special? One time, or a repeating offer?
The engine stand was a FLAPS special. The brackets for mounting an air coled motor (Porsche or VW) came from ebay. Guy does "Buy it now" only for like $54 or $56 bucks. I can dig up en email if you want me to.

How do you get that /6 engine up on the stand?
Cherry picker onto my lift. It sat there for a few days. From there I mounted the brackets to the motor, then lifted the stand and bolted it onto the brakets, and then lowered the lift.
Lawrence
I'd like to see that someday... when you decide to put the motor back down (I assume you'll use the same method). Would you document how/where you hook everything up?

-Rusty
Gint
I'd like to see that someday... when you decide to put the motor back down (I assume you'll use the same method). Would you document how/where you hook everything up?

No way. tongue.gif The cherry picker part wasn't pretty. Brant warned me, but I insisted. I will do the same thing again, but I'm going to weld up a bracket of sorts to bolt to my V8 manifold lift plate. It should look something like the \"Engine lift bar tool\" that Pelican sells. I won't need the lift at that point. I can use the cherry picker to lift the motor/stand, and then just unbolt the stand.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.