Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 resto warning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Gint
Not stupid at all Eric.

Mostly stock, but I'm no CW. The motor is already a warmed over unit. When this motor goes, the new one will be bigger. I'm installing a moveable passenger seat. GOing to get a James Woods shifter. I'll put in new hardware where possible, and I don't care if it isn't what the factory put in it. I'm not that anal. Thinking about carbon fiber on the dash front. If (won't be for a long while) I ever sell it though, it won't be hard for someone to CW the car and return it to bone stock. And they will not have to repair rust.

I want to drive the car. And enjoy it. I love 914s. It won't see rain unless I get caught in it, and it will always spend the night in the garage, but it will be driven - regularly.

It's kind of whatever I decide as I go along.
krk
Ah. Didn't know you were changing the seating. Not that I disagree -- I'm debating many things about mine as we speak -- but I'm interested in what other /6 owners decide on. I'm switching sides blacked out chrome and many other things -- prolly a reaction to just wanting a running 914 (lol) -- so I'm following a lot of discussions on this sort of thing.

Why the change?

kim.
Korijo
Gint (or anyone),

Did these studs come loose on anyonelse's dash frame. The nut and stud spin on my frame. Couldnt remove it...
Hawktel
On my 70, I'm going to replace the fixed one peice seat with a fixed on its own seat.

I want it to be comfortable, so I'm going to try to wedge some bigger old leather seats in it. No backpad, I'll carpet the backwall.
krk
Hawktel,

This is a dumb question, but have you "done time" riding in the passenger seat? I only ask because we brought ours down from Vancouver (BC) to San Jose and traded driving duties. I spent time in the seat and was surpised that it was not uncomfortable.

That said -- I loved the cabin in my '73. Symmetry has it's beauty.

kim.
DNHunt
Throw some sheepskins (not for the purist ) on them. Save the vinyl and they are really quite comfortable. Same old challenge about staying in the seat on hard corners, but good cruisin.

Dave
Gint
QUOTE(krk Posted on Jan 26 2004 @ 11:53 PM )
Ah. Didn't know you were changing the seating. Not that I disagree -- I'm debating many things about mine as we speak -- but I'm interested in what other /6 owners decide on. I'm switching sides blacked out chrome and many other things -- prolly a reaction to just wanting a running 914 (lol) -- so I'm following a lot of discussions on this sort of thing.

I want to do it, that's good enough for me. It's nothing that can't be un-done. I have a cherry set of seats, backpad and door panels from the 72 to put in this car. That will save upholstery costs. And I will save the original back pad and seats so it can be put back to original without to much hassle. I will almost certainly black the roll bar trim and the trim piece under the vinyl on the sail. Also the front and rear seal channels. I'm debating blacking the wing window post as well.

QUOTE(Korijo Posted on Jan 27 2004 @ 12:06 AM )
Gint (or anyone),

Did these studs come loose on anyonelse's dash frame. The nut and stud spin on my frame. Couldnt remove it...

Bummer Dave. I was lucky and got my nuts off. wink.gif
jtf914
I'm also in the process of changing to a movable passenger seat. The biggest complaint I had about the fixed seat was the amount of wind, the dead air spot seems to be about 3 inches off the backpad.

-Justin
Gint
Nothin like the smell of burnin rubber - In the garage. Mr. Torch got some exercise tonight. Sway bar bushings are "toast". It and the front brake hard lines are out, crap wheels mounted up. Nothing left now but hang a passenger door, strip door latch mechanisms from one door, and door latch/windows from the other. I should be rolling out of town Friday a.m. with my to-do list - done.
Gint
The driver's door is completely stripped. These early doors don't weigh squat when they're empty.
Hawktel
QUOTE(krk @ Jan 26 2004, 11:23 PM)

This is a dumb question, but have you "done time" riding in the passenger seat? I only ask because we brought ours down from Vancouver (BC) to San Jose and traded driving duties. I spent time in the seat and was surpised that it was not uncomfortable.

Actually I did 2 hours in the passenger seat Kim. It wasn't to bad.

driving.gif

The main problem with the regulation seats is I don't fit. I'm 6 foot 10, 300 pounds. And I like comfortable seats. I guess I could install the drivers seat in the passenger spot. Dunno. I'm looking at custom seats more still.
krk
Hm -- 6'10" -- I can easily believe it would take something custom to get comfortable!

Good luck in the hunt!

kim.
Downunderman
Gint,

Just a thought on your seats. If you are planning to put some race seats in at some time or other it will be a lot easier if you move the crossmember in fromt of the seat about 100 - 150 mm towards the front of the car. You would have to fabricate a carrier in the meantime to mount the seat height adjuster. If I was doing it all again I would certainly move it. It would also make a good place to mount the extinguishers.
Gint
Ain't she purty? Ready to head out tomorrow am for Dunkle's.
seanery
Have a good trip and be safe.
Gint
The tub trip story:

I made it back - Barely

Glenn Stazak wrote me an email. In the thread that ensued, some new information has come to light with regard to my car. He also provided me with some documents and a letter from Bob Wood himself.

Thanks Glenn!

I'm going to post some of the info from Glenn, and from Larry Lee's db that he provided me with prior to my purchasing the car. For those of you that don't know, Larry has been collecting 914 advertisements from Excellence and Pano and other sources for many years. Feel free to email him at llee50@stny.rr.com

Larry Lee sent me the following upon my request to him for information in which I provided little else than the VIN number:

Hi Mike,
Yes, I have 2 entries on your car. One from 1987 and the other from 1992.
This car hasn't changed hands very much.
Looks like it spent most of its life in Arizona. Hope this helps.

70 914 2 "Roadster" 914043####
"Orange/blk int, exc orig cond, Ariz rustfree car, reblt 2.0E eng, S pists,
Turn 6
swaybar, #140 springs, alloys, gas shocks, new mast cyl, new rotor & pads."
$10500
"Ron" "Vance"
"1932 E. Meadow Dr."
"Tempe" "AZ" "85282"
"602-967-9143" 9/1/1987 "Panorama" PG 105

70 914 0 "Roadster" 914043####
"Orange/blk, mech sound, Carrera chain tensioners, s/s brake lines,
proportioning valve,
dry cell battery, H-4 headlts, 205/50-15 TAs, Fuch whls, factory sway bar,
recent major
svc and reblt carbs, new clutch, 11 blade fan, alternator and ""S""
distributor."
$0
"Don"
"602-997-2785" 12/1/1992 "Excellence" PG 116

This database is an effort by Porsche 914/6 enthusiasts to document these
rare and unusual
sports cars. 3363 of these cars were produced over 3 short years starting
in 1970 and in
the intervening decades, these few have left their mark on the streets and
race tracks of
the world. Due to their age and competition potential, many of these cars
have compiled
interesting and colorful histories.

The purpose of this effort is to provide current owners a place to research
their cars
and a place for them to share any research they might have done. For the
prospective
buyer, this provides a place to research cars they might consider buying.
The things that
you might find in this database include information on originally installed
equipment,
original engine and transmission serial numbers, previous advertisements in
national
magazines, names and addresses of previous owners and owner submitted
information.

This database is intended to promote the preservation of Porsches first mid
engined
roadster and is aimed at those who appreciate these cars.

My database currently has 2385 entries with 770 unique serial numbers.
There were 3363 of these cars produced with about 1700 of them
being officially imported into North America.

The information in my database comes from several sources, these include:
Every issue of Panorama from 1970 to date,
Every issue of Excellence from April 1987 to date,
Every issue of Road & Track from 1970 to date,
Some issues of Hemmings from 1998 to date,
Defunct publications like Porsche Trends Gallery
And other random publications like AutoWeek.

Various web sites from about 1996 to date. The web sites include among
others:
Road Glue http://www.roadglue.com/
914/6 Registry http://www.stazak.com/914reg/
914 club http://www.dgi.net/914/
The Rennlist http://www.rennlist.org/
Automobile Atlanta http://www.autoatlanta.com
914 Owners Association http://home.earthlink.net/~deeds/
Ebay http://www.ebay.com/
And random other web sites like PCA region web sites and personal web sites.

Also personal observations of 914/6s at various East Coast and Midwest
events.

I used to do a price run on the database from time to time but haven't been
able
to do this since I changed database programs due to Y2K issues. The
following chart
is the output of the price run. Its getting kind of stale but should give
you some
idea of the price trends for these cars.

PRICE HISTORY FOR TYPE 914-6

REPORT DATE 09/13/99 21:02:11

FOR CARS WITH PRICES BETWEEN $1 AND $99999

AVERAGE MAXIMUM MINIMUM NUMBER OF
ADVERTISED ADVERTISED ADVERTISED DATA
YEAR PRICE PRICE PRICE POINTS
------------------------------------------------------------------
1971 5300 5300 5300 1
1972 5725 9000 4750 10
1973 4980 6195 3800 10
1974 5467 8950 3700 17
1975 5710 11000 3800 47
1976 6348 11000 4375 25
1977 8115 15500 4750 32
1978 8594 15000 900 49
1979 8033 15000 3600 38
1980 9124 19500 2500 39
1981 10296 25000 2500 38
1982 12297 25000 5700 58
1983 12392 55000 1500 59
1984 10936 23000 3500 73
1985 12580 23000 5750 87
1986 12156 30000 6500 59
1987 13831 85000 6000 71
1988 13832 45500 750 51
1989 11842 30000 3500 57
1990 16109 40000 4200 40
1991 19964 85000 750 81
1992 17067 45000 4250 82
1993 15373 45000 4000 115
1994 13850 50000 4500 127
1995 15646 44995 4750 84
1996 17606 35000 7500 53
1997 17781 40000 5000 69
1998 18086 45000 3000 52
1999 18477 29500 4000 24

Larry Lee
Vestal, NY.
JeffBowlsby
There were 3363 of these cars produced with about 1700 of them
being officially imported into North America.

Thats really interesting to me Mike. I had never heard this data before.

1700 of wink.gif

Dont let me highjack this thread, thats not my intent!
Gint
From Glenn:

3/14/2004
Hello Mike,
I noticed that you bought Bob's old 914-6. I see that you started to restore
the car, how is that going? This car was in Illinois back in the 70's and I believe it was sold out of O'Hare Porsche. The rust is typical of a car that spent time here in Illinois back when it was a daily driver.
Keep me posted,
Glenn Stazak

3/15/2004
Glenn Stazak wrote:

Found it!
I also have a copy of the Cert of Auth if you need that here is a list of Chicago area dealers from 1970:

Edit 03172012 - I removed the image of my COA. Privacy concerns.

Name Street City
Porsche Audi at O'Hare, Inc. 1000 Elmhurst Road Elk Grove Village IL
Tom Chaney Porsche Audi Corp. 14720 Halsted Street Harvey IL
Breen Porsche Audi, Inc. 300 East Ogden Avenue Hinsdale IL
Shoreline Porsche Audi, Inc. 80 Greenbay Road Winnetka IL

Unfortunately none of these dealers still exists. let me know if you have any questions during reassembly, I have done several sixes.
Regards,
Glenn

And finally:
Gint
And a note from Bob
Gint
QUOTE(bowlsby Posted on Mar 17 2004 @ 09:17 PM )
So if there were only 1700 ever on these shores, only a very few Sixes must remain.
Are there 200? 500? 800? 1000 nationwide? Not too many, and a whole lot fewer than I ever understood there to be.

But then theres only 120 remaining LE cars that we know of...  

Dont let me highjack this thread, thats not my intent!

Great question Jeff. I'm sure there a lot of 914/6 owners that would like to know the answer. Exchange of information is what it's all about.
jonwatts
I'd like to have a nice original six before the $12,000 price ceiling shatters and they can't be had for less than $16k or $20k. I really believe that will happen in my lifetime.
Gint
I do too Jon.

I still won't break even. laugh.gif
Porsche Rescue
Brief commercial message: Jon, I have a $12,000 example for sale. See the classifieds. You can even buy the other one and have an unmatched set.
vortrex
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Mar 17 2004, 08:47 PM)
I'd like to have a nice original six before the $12,000 price ceiling shatters and they can't be had for less than $16k or $20k. I really believe that will happen in my lifetime.

aren't we already at $16-20K?? I rarely see them go for less than this, ones that don't need paint/resto.
seanery
I agree, doesn't 12k get you just a bit nicer than a project?
Porsche Rescue
Maybe mine's too cheap at $12. It's a very nice driver. Oh well, off to Ebay soon.
jonwatts
I see people trying to sell them for more all the time but I'm not hearing that they are getting their asking price (excluding ebay lunacy). I hear of factory sixes going for more like $6k - $8k for a good project* and well maintained original cars rarely and barely getting over $12k.

*A good project is a complete running car that needs to be gone through, not a basket case.

I ain't no Bruce Anderson, just repeating what I hear from our part of the country. Besides I couldn't buy anything without having Bradholio inspect it and give it his blessing first. I see him too often and he'd never let me live it down smash.gif
Gint
QUOTE(jonwatts Posted on Mar 18 2004 @ 10:49 AM )
I see people trying to sell them for more all the time but I'm not hearing that they are getting their asking price (excluding ebay lunacy). I hear of factory sixes going for more like $6k - $8k for a good project* and well maintained original cars rarely and barely getting over $12k.

That statement coincides with my vision of reality as well. Absolutely immaculate restored cars are going for $20k, give or take. And that seems to be hit or miss. Good to pretty nice drivers can be had for $10-14k.
vortrex
I must be looking in the wrong places. I've been keeping an eye out for the past 2 years for fun and hardly seen anything $10-14K.

case in point, this is what I would consider a nice original driver.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...1&category=6430

not sure what it will go for, but I am guessing $16k+.

BTW...jim, your car does look nice for $12k.
Gint
That car gets bonus points for not having a boatload of undercoating all over the bottom side and being pretty clean overall. If it's rust free, it's a deal at $13-14k. That's as high as I would go based on what I see and read in the ebay ad.

We could argue about this all day. Wait and see what it sells for. And remember that a LOT of ebay 914 deals have fallen through lately anyway.

I read through the ad again. If I were in the market, I might go as high as $15K for that car. IF the paint is in fact original and IF it really does have a limited slip and IF it doesn't have any rust, as stated. All of this would have to be confirmed on a PPI by someone I could trust.

You won't see many 914/6 cars that haven't been restored that are in as good of condition as that car is. It's the exception.
Gint
Brad and Mark had said that my tub would be going to the dipper's late last week or early this next week. I haven't heard for sure, but this comment from Brad in another thread leads me to beleive that it is already there.
QUOTE(Brad Roberts Posted: Mar 20 2004 @ 08:55 AM )
Nothing "latest".. until the dipped tub comes out of the solution some time next week.

Here are some pics of the work done prior to dip.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
jonwatts
Hey Gint, I saw your car up at Brad's a few week's ago. Didn't recognize it, had to be told it was yours. Neat to see it back in this area.

Sorry, I don't know where it is currently. Hope they don't leave it in the tank too long wink.gif
Gint
I squeezed an update outa Brad. In a different thread he said:

MikeG. Your tub was last seen heading north on a flatbed.

I can't wait to see pics of a nice clean, dipped and primered tub. There should be a lot of swiss cheese lookin' holes in it.
Brad Roberts
I was behind for several weeks. It took me longer than I thought to get the welder wired into the new shop. The tub was ready for dipping ages ago but the door bars where not welded in and then the dipper wasnt ready for it. Finally the planets aligned and we should have a dipped tub ready for repair very soon. Mark shot pics of it on the trailer but I dont think he has posted them yet. I'm personally very close to finishing up some lengthy projects. This will allow me to focus on some of the new projects that have arrived.

Hang in there Gint. We are now starting to feel at home in the new place. Air compressor gets wired in this weekend.

B
Gint
Thanks Brad. I'm glad to hear things are calming down. Appreciate the update. I really can't wait to see what comes out of the tank.
Brad Roberts
Have you seen the pics of the green 9146 the body guy just finished ?? FRIGGIN crazy. Brought another 9146 back from the dead. This one was WAY bad compared to yours.

B
Bleyseng
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Gint
Have you seen the pics of the green 9146 the body guy just finished ?? FRIGGIN crazy. Brought another 9146 back from the dead. This one was WAY bad compared to yours.

Nope. Where are they? I'd love to see 'um.
mikey
Nope. Where are they? I'd love to see 'um

That would be me, I think. Pictures are here:

http://www.914world.com/members/markd/mike...es6/mikes6.html.

This one was literally brought back from the dead. It's hard to believe it's the same car I started with. Mark will post pictures of the completed paint job soon I think. I'll eventually post more pictures of the restoration from disassembly to the completed car.
McMark
Apparently I have a lot of pictures to post. wink.gif

Guess I better hold up my part of the bargain.
Gint
agree.gif I'm ready! What's the word on the dipper? Is it there yet? Dipped? Soaking?

Thanks for posting the link Mike. Looks great.
McMark
It's at the dipper as of yesterday.
biggrin.gif boldblue.gif smilie_pokal.gif
seanery
can you guys pickup whitie? Green car looks good.
Randel
For some truly gruesome post-dip pics check out:

http://www.redshift-consulting.com/porsche/
Gint
Thanks Randel. I've looked at your pics before. That was truly a save.

jforts thread regarding early headlights (for my own reference):
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t=ST&f=2&t=3538
dflesburg
IPB Image

This is what mine looked like after dip. Good Luck!!!

Oh yeah, did anyone tell you how much paint you will need now? Or how many hours your going to spend welding...

welder.gif Better get some "easy grind" wire for your welder... lol
Gint
Or how many hours your going to spend welding...

Exactly why I farmed this part of the "rusto" out. And I found a highly compentent group of suc.... I mean, skilled technicians to do the job. cool.gif

In rust we trust....
Brad Roberts
Randel,

You are a true inspiration to the 914 builders out there (no joke)

dflesburg,

Kickass..another one "done right".. and yes.. I have the easy grind spool in the mig welder as we type laugh.gif

I have just about enough factory 9146 restorations coming up to keep us busy for the next 8 months.

B
Rusty
I have just about enough factory 9146 restorations coming up to keep us busy for the next 8 months.

B,

Is that why I didn't hear back from you? <_<

LB
Brad Roberts
Ha ha.. its tough to work on 4cyl cars when you have 3 more conversions lined up and two factory sixes coming in for 3.2 engines...

I just havent finished the info LB. These full blown resto's are growing on me. Lots of fun. Time consuming.. but the end product RIPS.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.