Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 resto warning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Brad Roberts
Yes. The later the better.

B
Gint
OK, but I have to be snoozin by 11:00 (10:00 PST) so I can get up and go to the hell hole the next day and not expect to ar15.gif some moron.

Love the new sig... cool_shades.gif
Brad Roberts
You inspire me gint..LOL

8-9pm is fine.

B
Gint
Whaddya know? That muffler heat shield on a 914/6 IS held on with screws.
Brad Roberts
I found this 6 months ago... LOL you where gone. We pulled apart the acid dip car and found this (something I didnt know)..

B
Gint
I was around then. That's why I looked. I remember that thread. I was happy to confirm that you were right (again).
Brad Roberts
I get it now.. backing me up on my obsession with little POS German cars.

B
Gint
It's the "didication"
Gint
I pulled the windshield opn Christmas Day. Doesn't look too bad, but I've said that before. I'll get the interior trim pads pulled out soon, dig the adhesive out and wire brush it all to find out for sure.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Gint
I posted another thread on the club site asking about the switch enclosure removal with a PET jpg. Here are the pics:

IPB Image

It took a slide hammer to get this steering wheel adapter off.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Brad Roberts
Yep. I didnt respond because I dont take them apart that often.

Thanks for the pics.

B
echocanyons
thanks for the pictures

strange wheel adapter what is it?
Gint
When I bought the car, it had a MOMO Monte Carlo wheel. I swapped it out with my MOMO Racing Line wheel. It bolted right to this adapter. I think it's just an old MOMO adapter. The newer MOMO adapters don't look like this I know that.
Gint
I'm committed now. Or I should be comitted. One of them is defintely true.

Damn that Brad. wink.gif "I'm not pulling the harness." Brad replies, "It's easy." Andy did it in an hour." Actually, is wasn't too bad getting the dash wiring out. Now for the front and the rear (I know the rear's gonna be fun).
IPB Image
seanery
boldblue.gif boldblue.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif huh.gif huh.gif blink.gif blink.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
Porsche Rescue
Yeh, but how long to put it back?
TimT
strange wheel adapter what is it?

Thats a collapsible adapter. It will give before the steering wheel bends, absorbing some impact.
Gint
Yeh, but how long to put it back?

Hah! At least one full (long) day. It took 4 hours to get it all out. I just finished. It's laying on the garage floor. There's a LOT of wire there. Props to Andy (or anyone else for that matter) that can do this in under 2 hours.

Film at 11:00...
redshift
OUCH!!

Guys, when you pull a harness out, PULL a NEW WIRE the other way as you take it out..

You know why? laugh.gif

1. Easy to pull the harness back, less likely to hurt the harness pushing.

2. SO YOU KNOW WHERE AND HOW IT WAS PULLED.

M
Gint
You know why?  

Anyone who's done it knows why. Actually, you can do it just before you re-install. It wouldn't be difficult.

Thanks Rich for the advice this afternoon (phone conversation).
watsonrx13
Gint,

Why did you remove the wiring harness?

BTW, nice job on the rusto, keep up the good work and the inspiration for the rest of us.
Gint
Why did you remove the wiring harness?

Full repaint. Most of the car will be completey stripped. Slight surface rust along the inside of the dash also. I might as well get it all out and get it all clean.

See the scale in these pics?

IPB Image
IPB Image
Gint
Lotta wire...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Gint
I had left the gauge cluster hanging while fighting with the dash pad and the wiring harness. I also left the key in the ignition so I wouldn't have to hunt it down if I needed to turn the wheel. Guess what happened.
watsonrx13
That sucks... ohmy.gif
Gint
Believe it or not, the Ace Hardware guy managed to make a new key from this one. And it works! Good thing too, because this one was the only key I have for this car.
Gint
Pretty empty now. Just a few more odds n ends. I need to leave the suspension on it for now to get it on and off the trailer.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
brant
Nice job,

our cars are looking similar again today..

you've been working your butt off I can tell..

hey pull the front sway.. it doesn't need to make the trip.

have you heard from Andy... my hotmail looks to be down right at the moment.

brant
Gint
Thanks. You have to get rid of that hotmail account. PM on it's way.
Brad Roberts
Go ahead and bring the dash with you.. we will paint it to match the tub.

B
seanery
I thought I heard a little about this car coming west again. Didn't know for sure. What kind of time frame are you looking at?
dgw
Gint,

Thats a lot of work. I took one completely apart, including the wiring harness, for a complete repaint. Unfortunately my plans changed and I sold the car (in plastic bags). It was a lot of fun though, taking every nut and bolt off the car. Maybe the good news is I didn't have to try to put it back together again, although I was pretty careful to label all the parts.
Brad Roberts
That car is now running and driving. I drove it a few weeks back. Darren did a good job of getting it all together.

B
Gint
Go ahead and bring the dash with you.. we will paint it to match the tub.

You lost me again Brad. The dash top? The rest of the dash is still attached.

What kind of time frame are you looking at?

Dunno how long it will be before it's done. I'm heading for L.A. to Dunkle's and then up to NorCal with Brad and the rest on Sunday afternoon. I might be picking up a roller for Brant on the way back.

Unfortunately my plans changed and I sold the car (in plastic bags).

Thanks Dennis. Too much time/money in it to sell it off. The plan is to keep it for at least five years and let the car pay be back in "smiles per mile".
Brad Roberts
Pull the steel dash out and bring it with the tub.

B
Gint
I'll just leave it on the tub. I saw a couple of screws on the side, but I haven't looked real hard for the rest of the attachment points. Can't be too hard to remove now that there's nothing left.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 18 2004, 08:39 PM)
I'll just leave it on the tub. I saw a couple of screws on the side, but I haven't looked real hard for the rest of the attachment points. Can't be too hard to remove now that there's nothing left.

4 screws in the front, 10 mm nuts under the cowl, accessible front the front trunk. 2 (i believe) screws on each side and maybe one under the dash in the middle, can't remember, too long ago.

Andy
Ferg
Holy cow you have been busy... ohmy.gif
Gint
All right, I'm done for the day. If I keep going, I'd have to put on pants. It's starting to get a little chilly. I have the bare panels all covered in POR-15 Metal Ready. The engine lid and side panels are all stripped of the grill material. The adjustable prop valve and the lines to the rear brakes are out. The brake and fuel lines are all disconnected and un-restrained in the tunnel. All I have to do is:

The under the car work to get the MC, lines and the resevoir out.
Take out the ashtray bracket, glovebox door and lock.
Remove the tar from the top of the tunnel (that's all the tar that is left).
I think the threshold aluminum piece is still on the passenger side.
Swap out some wheels for the trip on the trailer.
Strip the windows out of the doors and swap out the passenger door.

I think that's about it. Tomorrow's another day. Pretty much my last full day to get this stuff done before I leave on Friday. driving.gif
krk
Dude,

You overwhelm me. I'm whining about an alternator and some fan shroud issues. Sheesh. (I did take it off today, and am now cleaning it for repairs -- hate old oily crap) Your car will rock smilie_pokal.gif and I look forward to see it on the road!

kim.
Gint
Hi Kim!

It's not too hard to take a 914 apart. Now the real work begins. Going to Dunkels? Am I going to see you next weekend somehow, some way?
krk
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 24 2004, 06:08 PM)
Hi Kim!

It's not too hard to take a 914 apart. Now the real work begins. Going to Dunkels? Am I going to see you next weekend somehow, some way?

Damn, but it's unlikely. I'd *love* to go, but there are many dragons at the door. Miracles could happen -- not quite lottery odds, but you get the picture.

kim.
Gint
Pretty empty now! The last of the floor pan tar is gone.
Gint
Dash
Gint
Nothin back here
Gint
I still have to swap doors on the passenger side and remove windows and door latches from both doors. Swap the front wheels and pull the front brake hard lines. I still need to remove the glove box door, lock and ashtray housing. But that's all. Nothing left after that but empty shell.
Gint
Just to document the glove box lock position.
Gint
In case you haven't seen the ashtray housing mounting (from the back side of the dash).
Gint
And the metal dash mounting studs.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Eric Taylor
Hey gint, maybe a stupid question, but what's the final vision on the car? Full resto? Hot rod? Racer?
Eric
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.