Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dr. Evil's tranny clinic in Canada, part deux
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Dr Evil
I was wondering, would anyone have a problem moving this back one weekend to the 22-22? I will not change the date if this puts anyone in a bind.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 5 2013, 08:38 AM) *

I was wondering, would anyone have a problem moving this back one weekend to the 22-22? I will not change the date if this puts anyone in a bind.

I was hoping for a weekend that my wife is off work so we wouldn't have two bored and impressionable kids (11 and 13) hanging with us.
The weekend of the 22nd she is working, weekends before and after she is off.
She knows her shifts a year in advance, but they are hard for her to change.
Dr Evil
This is just a feeler. I have not been told when my graduation party is so at this point the worst case scenario is that I leave very late fri for your place. Stay tuned.
Dr Evil
Never mind, I got a straight answer and our weekend is a to with no changes smile.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 5 2013, 10:12 AM) *

Never mind, I got a straight answer and our weekend is a to with no changes smile.gif

Whew!

I didn't really want me kids hearing about balljoint's fetishes. blink.gif
balljoint
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 5 2013, 11:54 AM) *

Whew!

rolleyes.gif

Not "fetishes" we were talking aboot vegetables....I said "radishes".

Yes, I do disgusting things with radishes, but I am not happy about it.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(balljoint @ Feb 5 2013, 12:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 5 2013, 11:54 AM) *

Whew!

rolleyes.gif

Not "fetishes" we were talking aboot vegetables....I said "radishes".

Yes, I do disgusting things with radishes, but I am not happy about it.

Ok...I believe you....but keep your "radishes" in your pants. dry.gif

smile.gif
Ian Stott
Do you bring the seal kits with you? I will just buy it from you then I know I have the right thing. I can send you the money now if required or just pay you (with US dollars of course) when we meet.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
wobbletop
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 1 2013, 06:36 PM) *

Gonna have me fix it for you this year? smile.gif Gonna have the right bushing? wink.gif

I think my wife did most of the work, but that day has mostly been blanked from my memory.

Did I have the wrong bushing before? I know I tried to put 2 gal of oil in a 1 gal container (or something like that).
Eric_Shea
Come on Mark, you don't actually think Dave/Michael/Larry are "really" going to show up do you? Michael is Dave as Dave is Larry as Larry is Michael and we are all together. See how they run like moose from a gun, see how they fly.

Somebody bring me back a free CD please... (and a jumbo corndog).
flippa
Then does that make you the Egg Man or the Walrus? confused24.gif
Dr Evil
Ian, you can buy seal kits from me and I can bring them.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 6 2013, 02:26 AM) *

Come on Mark, you don't actually think Dave/Michael/Larry are "really" going to show up do you? Michael is Dave as Dave is Larry as Larry is Michael and we are all together. See how they run like moose from a gun, see how they fly.

Somebody bring me back a free CD please... (and a jumbo corndog).

Erc, I do know for sure that Dave and Mike are two different persons, I've met them.
Larry I've never met. confused24.gif

QUOTE(flippa @ Feb 6 2013, 09:39 AM) *

Then does that make you the Egg Man or the Walrus? confused24.gif

The seal

IPB Image

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 6 2013, 09:51 AM) *

Ian, you can buy seal kits from me and I can bring them.

Ian Stott
Thanks Mike, Just to be clear, you will have everything my tranny will need with you and available to purchase if required?? I will bring US Dollars so you will feel comfortable; as our Canadian Tire money looks quite real!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

PS: We can talk lobsters when we get closer to the date and all participants are confirmed, then I can see who wants lobster and who doesn't. I will look after the making of the dipping butter if there is a heat source, which I'm sure there will be. Looking forward to this!

Ian
Dr Evil
Yes,

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

I will have all that stuff, and I WILL want lots of lobster. LOTS. chowtime.gif
walterolin
Count me in for the lobster, too. Spent a week on the St. Mary's Bay side of Digby Neck a few years back, and ate beau coup lobster and the absolute best fish - fresh haddock just off the boat - that I've ever had. And almost got to Moncton, we turned right at Truro and went up towards Pictou. Really liked Nova.
MDG
Where do you go for lobster, Ian? Shediac? Alma?
Ian Stott
Where do I get my LOBSTER?? Sobeys of course! Just kidding. For this prestigious group I will arrange for lobsters from Alma, the truck comes and parks by the Gunningsville bridge and they are fresh. Will co-ordinate this later once all attendees are confirmed. Looking forward to this!

Ian Stott
Mocton
Canada
MDG
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Feb 7 2013, 09:06 PM) *

Where do I get my LOBSTER?? Sobeys of course! Just kidding. For this prestigious group I will arrange for lobsters from Alma, the truck comes and parks by the Gunningsville bridge and they are fresh. Will co-ordinate this later once all attendees are confirmed. Looking forward to this!

Ian Stott
Mocton
Canada

if Alma . . . I'll have some sticky buns too please.

The Gunningsville Bridge. Just not the same when you're not clanging side view mirrors with the oncoming traffic. smile.gif
Dr Evil
Ok, BoiledCabbage is paid.

I will make one request, please pay in US dollars rolleyes.gif Your funny money is worth $.98:$1US
biggrin.gif
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 3 2013, 07:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Feb 3 2013, 09:22 PM) *

Hey Good Dr. Do you have a checklist of what we need to bring, re tools?? Do you bring parts in case I need a part? I'm on the computer cause the power went out at the Superbowl. I can see the TV from my desk, now my chips won't last til the end of the game!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Just bring a basic tool kit, socket set with a few extensions, scrapers, brass brush, 2 cans of brake cleaner, work gloves and rags.

Wear old clothes or coveralls.

If you clean the outside of your tranny you will be farther ahead. I don't like to power-wash tranny's, but if you chance it take care as you can blow past seals. Be extra careful of the input shaft seal. If you do power-wash do it only days before the clinic. For those with air tools I do have a compressor, but it's not really needed.
I have a parts washing tank.

Dr Evil will have a supply of good used parts at good prices but the students also sell/buy/trade parts as well. Doc will tell everyone fair market value prices.
If you have two good cores you can often make one fully rebuilt transmission with little or no parts cost, other than the gasket kit.

Doc you don't need to bring your slider battle axe, I have one. I also have the extra long pinion nut socket.

A good set of retaining clip pliers will make things go way faster!!

At our event that was the one tool that we were short of!!
speed metal army
The one and only time I wished I lived back east.Cant I at least send a trans back there for this in my stead?I have one to build,plus I feel like im missing out.(Actually sure I am mad.gif )
Mark Henry
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Feb 8 2013, 12:20 AM) *

The one and only time I wished I lived back east.Cant I at least send a trans back there for this in my stead?I have one to build,plus I feel like im missing out.(Actually sure I am mad.gif )

You could send just the stack and get it serviced, greyhound would be most likely the cheapest route.
I'm somewhat near (4-5km) the bus depot 3 times a week.
balljoint
Dr Evil
You can mail a stack via FedEx ground for not too much $$ and they bring it to your door.
speed metal army
Sweet!Im checking on rates right now... smile.gif
spsader

Hello all,
I am new to 914 world and am planning a 914-6 conversion. I am looking at 3.0 and 3.2L engines and +-200-225HP. I am getting some different opinions on whether or not the 901 is a sufficient trans (vs a 915) Some have suggested that a good rebuild ( a la Dr Evil) with an upgraded intermediate plate would be OK. Any place left for the clinic?
I am coming from Montreal and will have to check that my passport is still valid laugh.gif
Any input is welcome
Thank
Paul
Mark Henry
Paul (spsader) you are added to the list. You have to PM (personal mail) Dr.Evil about payment for the Clinic. He will chime in soon and answer your questions.
A 901 with a 3.0/3.2 will work OK, but you have to take care with first gear and would benefit from some different gearing.
Mark Henry
Oh and BTW welcome.png

I'm building a 3.0 and MDG has a 3.2
Dr Evil
Hey Paul,

You can use a 901 with no problem, but I would recommend a gearing change to a locked out first, and F, O, X, flipped H for the remaining 4. You can keep 1st if you want for slow uphill or traffic.

There is no need to replace the intermediate plate.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 12 2013, 09:03 PM) *

Hey Paul,

You can use a 901 with no problem, but I would recommend a gearing change to a locked out first, and F, O, X, flipped H for the remaining 4. You can keep 1st if you want for slow uphill or traffic.

For mine I have an HB set, I also have another 911/01 so I should have an "O".
So would I just need a F and X gear?

I've never been able to get the pressure plate off of the 911/01, someone removed the flywheel bolts and not the pressure plate, the PP is jammed in there good.
I know you just turn the release bearing, if I could bolt it to an engine, but I don't have an early /6 engine to bolt it to.
Everything I've tried so far hasn't worked sad.gif
Any ideas?
wobbletop
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 12 2013, 10:03 PM) *

Hey Paul,

What is this wizardry you speak of... and can anyone remember what was in my stack?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(wobbletop @ Feb 12 2013, 11:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 12 2013, 10:03 PM) *

Hey Paul,

What is this wizardry you speak of... and can anyone remember what was in my stack?

I didn't pay that much attention, but I thought it was just a stock 914/4 box. So 1st to 5th would be A F N V ZD
I have a hoist this time biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
A 911 box should have a GA shaft rather than the F which is stock in the 914.

Wobbletop, if you did not bring extra gears, or did not pay me for them, then you should have a stock box.

For smaller /6 engines, the stock 914 gearing is just fine. 2.7 is where you can upgrade but dont need to. 3.0 and bigger like a taller stack.
Mark Henry
Wobbletop (Walter) has a stock 3.0/6 with webers. So I'd rough guess it at 180HP.

Tranny# 1
For my 3.0/6 going to be about 200-220hp street only, I may never do an AX.

My 911/01 box (above pic) should have A GA O V ZA....right?
I also have an HB and Z from a four speed box

I have a good rebuilt stock 914/4 from last clinic that I'd like to mod,
I'll keep 1st for be-low on grades, but will lock out rev/1st (rennshifter) and will just use it as a 4 speed most of the time. I would like a taller 5th (my HB flipped?) for the freeway.

So am I after just an F and X gear for this transmission?

Tranny # 2
The 911 box is going into my '67 beetle with a hot type 4, it's getting all stock 914/4 gearing.
Right now it is all done on a 901/06 4 speed box (now 5 speed), but I want to swap it out for the 911/01 5 speed box as it has the better diff.

Is the GA shaft on the 911/01 going to make a major difference on this combo?
Dr Evil
Mark, a GA will be taller as a 1st gear and not all that enjoyable. An F is readily available and cheap. I have several and can bring one to you. I may also have an X gear.
Mark Henry
I don't think you get what I'm saying. I'll try this again a bit clearer this time. shades.gif
There are two different transmissions and two different cars.

Car #1
1974 914 3.0/6 conversion.
I have a stock rebuilt 901 914/4 transmission.
I like to have better gearing for this.
Street car, I want a highway top gear, 205/60-15 tires.

Car # 2
1967 VW Beetle, 2.6 liter type 4, converted to 901 transmission.
The transmission I have is a 911 4-speed (901/06) that I rebuilt as a 5-speed to 914 gear spec.
I thought it now had A, F, N, V, ZD, but if my thinking is correct I may have screwed up and built it A, A, N, V, ZD (is it 2nd that's fixed?)

I have a core 911/01 if I swapped this out for the Bug's 901 gears I'd have A, GA, N, V, ZD (plus the better diff and the correct stubs to swap with the 914 tranny for the /6 CV's).
Again street car, I want a highway top gear, 195/65-15 rear tires.

Gears left over from this mess:
HB, Z, O, ZA and assorted 914 gears.
Ian Stott
Just a note to geographically challenged Canadians, Mark Henry lives in Ontario which is where the clinic is. Ontario is sometimes referred to as upper Canada, I live down east, which is sometimes referred to as Atlantic Canada or the Maritimes. Western Canada is traditionally considered to start at the Manitoba border and includes Sask. and Alberta, with BC often referred to as the west coast. Now Moncton is the hub of the maritimes and the home of Canada's largest carshow, plus a great spot for concerts (just ask Mick Jagger),AC/DC was awesome as well. Now lets get to the great lobster debate, there are some pretty knowledgeable people here on the topic of lobsters, I will bring lobsters from Alma which could be (argued to be) the best in the world. Anyone wishing they were back in eastern Canada surely must be referring to where I live!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

PS. Ref. tools to bring, could you elaborate a bit on the pliers you were referring to. Thx
walterolin
As I said earlier, I've spent some time in Nova, and really liked it, and the lobster. Looking forward to it.

Re the circlip pliers, does anyone have a recommendation on a specific set? I have several cheapo sets, and I would like to buy some good ones.
MDG
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Feb 13 2013, 05:56 PM) *

I will bring lobsters from Alma which could be (argued to be) the best in the world.

Yes. The best in the world. Period.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 13 2013, 03:04 PM) *

I don't think you get what I'm saying. I'll try this again a bit clearer this time. shades.gif

Car #1

Car # 2
The transmission I have is a 911 4-speed (901/06) that I rebuilt as a 5-speed to 914 gear spec.
I thought it now had A, F, N, V, ZD, but if my thinking is correct I may have screwed up and built it A, A, N, V, ZD (is it 2nd that's fixed?)

I have a core 911/01 if I swapped this out for the Bug's 901 gears I'd have A, GA, N, V, ZD (plus the better diff and the correct stubs to swap with the 914 tranny for the /6 CV's).

Let me be clear tongue.gif
For the 3.0/6 the best gearing option would be A, F, O, X, fHB

For the /4 box, you can choose to bump only 5th to a flipped H which is the tallest you can get without getting custom gears or changing the ring/pinion, or you can bump 4 and 5 to X, flipped H, or you can do A, F, O, X, fH just like the /6 box.

All options depend on what you want and we can tailor what you want to what you have.

Dr Evil
Just to make sure I have accurate data:

Paid:
WalterOlin + 1 seal kit
Boiled Cabbage
MDG
Ian Stott

I am waiting to hear back on the price and availability of seal kits from my dealer smoke.gif
Stay tuned on the prices...
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 13 2013, 07:30 PM) *

Just to make sure I have accurate data:

Paid:
WalterOlin + 1 seal kit
Boiled Cabbage
MDG
Ian Stott

I am waiting to hear back on the price and availability of seal kits from my dealer smoke.gif
Stay tuned on the prices...

Mike if you go to the very first post at the bottom I'm keeping a running tally of who said they are in, who has paid, who's getting a seal kit.
If any info is wrong or missing let me know.
Dr Evil
OK

Seal kits are $40 ea including shipping and delivery.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 13 2013, 07:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 13 2013, 03:04 PM) *

Car #1

Car # 2

Let me be clear tongue.gif
For the 3.0/6 the best gearing option would be A, F, O, X, fHB

For the /4 box, you can choose to bump only 5th to a flipped H which is the tallest you can get without getting custom gears or changing the ring/pinion, or you can bump 4 and 5 to X, flipped H, or you can do A, F, O, X, fH just like the /6 box.

All options depend on what you want and we can tailor what you want to what you have.

Got it, I think

So I only need an X gear for the 914 six box? Do you have an X set?
PM me if you do.

Any real advantage on the bug /4 box, I don't really have to have that high a 5th gear. Stock 914 gearing may be good enough for this and saves me dough.
Mark Henry
icon_bump.gif
Ian Stott
Mike would you like me to send you some money or are you ok with me paying you (in US dollars) when we have the clinic, for seals and any other parts I would need.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Dr Evil
I like people to pay up front for seals. smile.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 14 2013, 05:48 PM) *

I like people to pay up front for seals. smile.gif

Seal pimp. laugh.gif
Jeffs9146
Re the circlip pliers, does anyone have a recommendation on a specific set? I have several cheapo sets, and I would like to buy some good ones.

Forum Discussion About Circlip Plier
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.