Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dr. Evil's tranny clinic in Canada, part deux
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
walterolin
QUOTE(balljoint @ May 28 2013, 03:36 PM) *

And your passport. Don't forget your passport.

It's in my stack, up to date. Ol' Buster is going Friday for his annual rabies shot, that will be his passport.

Thanks
Olin
Dinobx
Hey guys,

I'm also very excited about this clinic. I have two trannies, nose cones removed. I have enough good synchros and sliders etc to make one good tranny, but I'm sure that I'll have some leftover gears, shafts, etc. I sent Dr. Evil (thanks again), pics of the dogs teeth and sliders for 1st gear, and they're shot on both trannies.

I've researched regearing in the archives and its really interesting to see all of the fun things that can be done. I'm partial to just leaving the gearing stock and spending my money on an LSD, but I've seen some really interesting gear changes for the purpose of autocrossing or higher speed track fun, so I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts, drunken or sober, about this rather cool part of the machine.

See you soon gentlemen.

Dino
balljoint
Oh no. Dino, the discussions at the tranny clinic will be primarily gossip about 914world members and their antics.

Then there will be some beverages.

Less "hoppy" for the Doc.

Beer wise. Rabbits, he likes hoppy.

mellow.gif

After which there will be some discussion of how to bail out the good doctor.

Hopefully the local constabulary/butcher/nail salon hostess will not remember him from last time.

Mark Henry
16 days and counting smile.gif
spsader
QUOTE(balljoint @ May 29 2013, 10:07 PM) *

Oh no. Dino, the discussions at the tranny clinic will be primarily gossip about 914world members and their antics.

mellow.gif

Hopefully the local constabulary/butcher/nail salon hostess will not remember him from last time.

What, no dancing girls? sad.gif
wobbletop
I guess I should start thinking about pulling the 914 out of storage soon.
balljoint
QUOTE(spsader @ May 30 2013, 09:58 AM) *

QUOTE(balljoint @ May 29 2013, 10:07 PM) *

mellow.gif

What, no dancing girls? sad.gif

You had best pray for no nudity of any kind. We are all crossing our fingers that Mark doesn't wear his old gym shorts again. icon8.gif
balljoint
QUOTE(wobbletop @ May 30 2013, 02:36 PM) *

I guess I should start thinking about pulling the 914 out of storage soon.

slap.gif

Get going!

I had my kids in the car with me when I turned the key for the first time this Spring.

The car started right up and has been running beautifully ever since. biggrin.gif
Ian Stott
Got lobster money from Walter, was scared to open a letter from a lawyer with a USA address! Whew! Just a nice note and lobster money! Maybe a new rule should be "identify it's lobster money on the envelope!" Looking forward to this event and sharing with other 914 owners.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

PS: Having a good clean pair of channel locks will help you crack the claws!
Mark Henry
Don't get left out on the lobster deal, get a hold of Ian Stott ASAP beerchug.gif
walterolin
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ May 30 2013, 06:09 PM) *

Got lobster money from Walter, was scared to open a letter from a lawyer with a USA address! Whew! Just a nice note and lobster money! Maybe a new rule should be "identify it's lobster money on the envelope!" Looking forward to this event and sharing with other 914 owners.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

PS: Having a good clean pair of channel locks will help you crack the claws!

US lawyer in Canadia is more useless than a US lawyer in the US.

Medical labs here have started using lawyers for test subjects instead of lab rats, there are more lawyers than rats, and there are some things a rat won't do.......
spsader
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 30 2013, 05:31 PM) *

Don't get left out on the lobster deal, get a hold of Ian Stott ASAP beerchug.gif

When are you planning the "lobsterfest", I will not make it Friday night, should arrive early Saturday AM.
Paul
Mark Henry
QUOTE(spsader @ May 31 2013, 01:20 PM) *

When are you planning the "lobsterfest", I will not make it Friday night, should arrive early Saturday AM.
Paul

Pretty sure the main activities are set for Saturday night. drunk.gif
spsader
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 31 2013, 01:42 PM) *

QUOTE(spsader @ May 31 2013, 01:20 PM) *

Paul

Pretty sure the main activities are set for Saturday night. drunk.gif

Thanks Mark
PM sent to Ian
balljoint
I have also sent a PM to Ian. I will be arriving on Saturday morning.

Is there a schedule of events?

Ian Stott
I will also be arriving on Sat. morning, BBQ, lobster eating and beer drinking is scheduled for Sat. evening according to Mark and I have been using that schedule. Spader and Balljoint, PM sent.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

By the way, should us Canadians monitor our American visitors closely after drinking our high octane beer??

Safety first!
MDG
I just PM'd Ian too.

And I'll be there saturday morning. Probably leave wednesday or thursday.
walterolin
I'm bringing Woodford Reserve and maybe some Elijah Craig, both homegrown in the Bluegrass. Might make some of you Canucks have a religious experience.

And a sixpack of Bluegrass Brewing Company Amber Ale and a six of
Kentucky Ale from Lexington. Both are quite good.

I know I'm limited to a liter of whiskey at the border, I don't recall seeing a limit on beer, is there one?
MDG
QUOTE(walterolin @ May 31 2013, 08:13 PM) *

I'm bringing Woodford Reserve and maybe some Elijah Craig, both homegrown in the Bluegrass. Might make some of you Canucks have a religious experience.

And a sixpack of Bluegrass Brewing Company Amber Ale and a six of
Kentucky Ale from Lexington. Both are quite good.

I know I'm limited to a liter of whiskey at the border, I don't recall seeing a limit on beer, is there one?

Woodford Reserve is a very big seller up here. I'm having one right now.

walterolin
I've gotten quite interested in high end bourbons in recent years. The notes in Woodford are just amazing, you really can taste the vanilla and all those things the wine gurus talk about. Elijah Craig 12 year old is my favorite (Craig was a minister in Nelson County - it was common for ministers to make whiskey). The different mixtures of the grains, plus the aging , can make pronounced differences in the bourbon. Jim Beam 7 yo is a good standard bourbon, Jim Beam 4 tastes like crap.

If you ever get to Kentucky, go to Frankfort and do the Woodford Reserve tour.

I'll try to pick up a few other bourbons in Port Hope before I come in, and we can do some research.
MDG
QUOTE(walterolin @ May 31 2013, 08:27 PM) *

I've gotten quite interested in high end bourbons in recent years. The notes in Woodford are just amazing, you really can taste the vanilla and all those things the wine gurus talk about. Elijah Craig 12 year old is my favorite (Craig was a minister in Nelson County - it was common for ministers to make whiskey). The different mixtures of the grains, plus the aging , can make pronounced differences in the bourbon. Jim Beam 7 yo is a good standard bourbon, Jim Beam 4 tastes like crap.

If you ever get to Kentucky, go to Frankfort and do the Woodford Reserve tour.

I'll try to pick up a few other bourbons in Port Hope before I come in, and we can do some research.

My favourite is Jefferson's. But we only get it here sporadically and for short periods of time.
balljoint
Because someone drinks it all. dry.gif
MDG
QUOTE(balljoint @ May 31 2013, 08:36 PM) *

Because someone drinks it all. dry.gif

mad.gif

aw shut up, David.
balljoint
confused24.gif So much for step 9.
Dr Evil
Dont forget, there will be intense transmission rebuilding on Sat and what ever part of Sun is needed. We can eat sooner than most quit and many build from 9am to midnight. Then we drink until 5-6am and TRY to start again at 9am (noon).
Mark Henry

QUOTE(walterolin @ May 31 2013, 08:27 PM) *

The liquor and beer stores are government run so you can't just pop into a corner store around here, Port Hope is a 40 minute round trip.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?ie=UTF-8&q=...mp;ved=0CC8QtQM
Mark Henry
For some reason when I posted above I wiped out my reply

Derrp....fixed.
mr914
Enhanced drivers liscence from a bordering state works well too.

Doing stoddard this weekend

Have up to 4 trannies to do/look at...

1. Factory 6 gearbox, unknown gears/condition
2. Side shifter out of 6 conversion. unknown gears/condition
3. Side shifter that I attempted to put a first gear into. Never worked... Must have missed something...
4 gearbox out of my 71 4 cyl. "Expert" pirate.gif changed syncros in 1,3-5 and put used/old syncro in 2when he knew I was doing track events,,,, toasted syncro, second de event. Don't get me wrong, this guy is/was good, just did not understand I was doing a superV spec motor, chassis stiffening, suspension upgrades... Thought I was doin a daily driver....

Also have at least guts from 3 granny's to donate to the cause and a couple of end plates.

Think I can get thru the factory 6 gearbox and one other thru the weekend?

Do we have the ability to determine gear sets? Don't know what I have, but also want a amfsx gear set for future use.

Dr Evil
Two transmissions are doable. Changing gear sets is easy. Used parts, if good, should not have been an issue for track events. Likely, not adjusted correctly and/or too used to be reused.

I will gladly take donations of parts as I am running low and have not had time to go source more cores. smile.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mr914 @ Jun 2 2013, 11:24 PM) *

Enhanced drivers liscence from a bordering state works well too.

Doing stoddard this weekend

Have up to 4 trannies to do/look at...

1. Factory 6 gearbox, unknown gears/condition
2. Side shifter out of 6 conversion. unknown gears/condition
3. Side shifter that I attempted to put a first gear into. Never worked... Must have missed something...
4 gearbox out of my 71 4 cyl. "Expert" pirate.gif changed syncros in 1,3-5 and put used/old syncro in 2when he knew I was doing track events,,,, toasted syncro, second de event. Don't get me wrong, this guy is/was good, just did not understand I was doing a superV spec motor, chassis stiffening, suspension upgrades... Thought I was doin a daily driver....

Also have at least guts from 3 granny's to donate to the cause and a couple of end plates.

Think I can get thru the factory 6 gearbox and one other thru the weekend?

Do we have the ability to determine gear sets? Don't know what I have, but also want a amfsx gear set for future use.

Hope you're not doing the canada clinic are you? They kind of frown about that sort of thing here....
MDG
True enough, Mark.

Since they outlawed the possession of Granny Guts back in '93, the best you could possibly hope to get across the border - maybe - are some Auntie Eyes.
Dr Evil
MR914, are you paid and reserved for a spot in the clinic??
Mark Henry
Holy stromberg.gif

The camp site might need a re-thunk

Frick'in swarms of skeeters the size of bald eagles. blink.gif

Either lots of DEET or were moving the camp closer to the house. screwy.gif

Thar's a skeeter on my peter...whack it off!

Thar's a skeeter on my peter...Thar's a skeeter on my peter...

(to the tune of "she'll be coming round the mountain")
walterolin
I'll work on your 'skeeter song on the HD-28, that's about my skill level. You can sing lead, me'n the doc will do harmony.
MDG
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 5 2013, 04:52 PM) *

Holy stromberg.gif

The camp site might need a re-thunk

Either lots of DEET or were moving the camp closer to the house. screwy.gif

Thar's a skeeter on my peter...Thar's a skeeter on my peter...

(to the tune of "she'll be coming round the mountain")

I'll bring my wife's SUV and a sleeping bag and crash in the back . . . I can use my cell to call you when I need anything brought out to me.

mellow.gif

smile.gif

No kidding - even here in the city the mosquitoes are unreal ALREADY!

Oh, and also - where Mark lives . . . are bears. unsure.gif
balljoint
Mark is a bear.

mellow.gif
Jon H.
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 5 2013, 12:52 PM) *

I hear ya! My place is horrendous, all this rain we've had sure hasn't helped.

Jon
balljoint
One of your neighbours probably has a fogger. Get some DDT and exterminate!

I have a back up plan though. I will be bringing some of scotty b's cologne that is being shipped up special. We will pour it on Mike(MDG) and tell him the Starbucks is a short walk through the park. smile.gif
walterolin
I'm trying to figure out how to work penguins into this....
Mark Henry
I have a two fair size tents, a tent trailer with 2 beds, my bus (1 bed) available.
No one has called dibs yet.
Ian Stott has the other bus Saturday night.

I might be able to clean out another westy if needed, but I want some notice on that.
MrHyde
I call dibs on the bus bed. :-)
Mark Henry
Mike Hyde and Ian Stott has dibs on the two bus beds.
Tents and tent trailer are still up for grabs.
All will be clean.
Mark Henry

The google map links in the previous posts must have expired as they are now wrong.

I've sent a message to everyone with my contact info and address.
Please use google maps to confirm that you GPS is correct, most in car GPS get my place wrong.
I'd rather not be playing direction tag the day of the event.

If you didn't get a message with my contact info please PM me.
Mark Henry
We need a BBQ for the weekend. I don't have one because we have an indoor unit, and the wife said we can't use it.
I'll have a propane cook stove going, I only have a small charcoal BBQ.

What is the plan food wise? I know some have contacted Ian Stott for lobster, but what about other meals?
I can get a big bag of pancake mix from Costco idea.gif what else?

Also we only have half dozen chairs so we need someone bring a few extra folding camp chairs if you have them.
Jon H.
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 7 2013, 05:17 AM) *

We need a BBQ for the weekend. I don't have one because we have an indoor unit, and the wife said we can't use it.
I'll have a propane cook stove going, I only have a small charcoal BBQ.

What is the plan food wise? I know some have contacted Ian Stott for lobster, but what about other meals?
I can get a big bag of pancake mix from Costco idea.gif what else?

Also we only have half dozen chairs so we need someone bring a few extra folding camp chairs if you have them.

I'll be able to bring two extra chairs maybe three, I won't have room in the westy for a BBQ though.

Jon
balljoint
Chairs yes. Barbecue maybe. I have a small portable one but it just uses the small propane canisters.
balljoint
I could bring up a big batch of venison vindaloo for Saturday lunch. How many people will we have to feed?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(balljoint @ Jun 7 2013, 10:33 PM) *

Chairs yes. Barbecue maybe. I have a small portable one but it just uses the small propane canisters.

I have the adapter and a 20lb tank. jsharp.gif

I think around 15 peeps chowtime.gif
I'll do pancakes Sunday AM.
Those who didn't order lobster BYO meat for Saturday supper.
walterolin
I have a small Weber charcoal grill, I'll toss it into the back of the truck, got several folding chairs, too. I'm going to bring the ancient 10 ft. Jayco Eagle, it has a functioning two burner propane stove, and I have a Coleman 2 burner white gas stove if needed, let me know.

Venison yes. If I wasn't skeered of the Canadian customs people at the border, I would make us some biltong - South African version of jerky. http://goafrica.about.com/od/foodanddrink/a/biltong.htm
Problem is for the good stuff you need a tender kudu and the only one I know of around here is at the Louisville zoo.
balljoint
Walter,

Get me a proper recipe. We have a zoo and their security is not top notch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.