Full Version: Dr. Evil's tranny clinic in Canada, part deux
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
spsader
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 13 2013, 07:33 AM) *

QUOTE(wobbletop @ Feb 12 2013, 11:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 12 2013, 10:03 PM) *

Hey Paul,

You can use a 901 with no problem, but I would recommend a gearing change to a locked out first, and F, O, X, flipped H for the remaining 4. You can keep 1st if you want for slow uphill or traffic.
There is no need to replace the intermediate plate.

What is this wizardry you speak of... and can anyone remember what was in my stack?

I didn't pay that much attention, but I thought it was just a stock 914/4 box. So 1st to 5th would be A F N V ZD
I have a hoist this time biggrin.gif

Hi again
it looks like I've opened a can of worms (or more appropriately gears)
I have to start by saying that I am a 48 year old ( transmission ) virgin and am obviously on a steep learning curve. I'm having trouble finding what exactly is in a stock 901 box and would need to know what I will need for the upgrade suggested by the good doctor and what kind of $$ I am looking at. I don't have my engine yet but may have found a 1990 (3.4 or 3.6?) would the suggestions for the box still hold?
I am new to the idea of rebuilding a transmission and having no experience am wondering if I'm in over my head, I wouldn't want to slow down the group huh.gif
Thanks for your patience and wisdom
Paul
balljoint
walterolin
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Feb 14 2013, 06:39 PM) *

Re the circlip pliers, does anyone have a recommendation on a specific set? I have several cheapo sets, and I would like to buy some good ones.

Forum Discussion About Circlip Plier

Thanks
Olin
walterolin
Oh don't worry about the group. They are pretty slow already. And the Doctor is a very good teacher. You have nothing to worry about.

Not to worry, I'll bring some Elijah Craig or Woodford, it will make you a lot faster. And I know it will work, 'cause after enough I'm a helluva good guitar palyer
Ian Stott
I will do the paypal thing again Mike, it worked last time! Tell me how much to send.

Ian Stott
Moncton
CAnada
Dr Evil
$40 per seal kit wink.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Feb 14 2013, 09:11 PM) *

I will do the paypal thing again Mike, it worked last time! Tell me how much to send.

Prices, paypal info, who's in, who's paid and who bought seal kits is all in my very first post (page 1) of this thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=202903
Sometimes I'll be away and will have not updated this page, but I will do my best to keep it current.

MDG
Paypal sent for 2 seal kits
Dr Evil
Got it, Mike
MDG
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 15 2013, 09:26 AM) *

Got it, Mike

thumb3d.gif

These are the good ones, right? You haven't had any failures with these?

mellow.gif

'cuz Scotty told me you blew a seal once.

MDG
idea.gif

Or was it a Sea Lion?
BajaXJ92
I'm willing to bet he blew out his O-ring.

Prolapsed. barf.gif
Phil Plummer
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 27 2013, 09:57 AM) *

Dr. Evil's tranny clinic in Canada, part deux
June 15-16, 2013

Tuition is $300 USD if sent via paypal then to (make my 914 go) without the spaces at yahoo.com. Make sure to put your screen name in the message so Dr. Evil knows who you are.
Gasket set $40 USD delivered, clinic only price.

I will be again hosting the event, my place is less than 1 hour east of Toronto, Ontario.
If you missed this last time, mark it on your calenders now and don't cry to me that it's too short of notice. smile.gif

If you want your 914, 901, 902 or early 911 code (still a 901) transmission rebuilt to like new condition for cheap this is the event for you. This is a DIY clinic where the good doctor teaches and oversees your work to make sure you do it correctly. I don't think his price has changed, so look at past clinics (I'll post this soon here), IIRC a gasket set was $50 $40 USD delivered and he has low cost SS hardware with him or you can reuse your old stuff.
If you have 2 core transmissions you can often make one good one, but the Doc has a selection good used parts with him at excellent prices. Also members swap/sell parts to each other. Everyone goes home with a fully rebuilt tranny.

For those that stay overnight there is the partaking of vast quantities of your favourite beverage and all the Docs BS is quite entertaining laugh.gif Since it's June we will might have a campfire, etc.
There is lots of room to pitch a tent, tent trailer or even a full blown RV.
Only one space in the house and that's reserved for Dr.Evil
I have a tent trailer I can set up. and an old westfailia that we use as a summer room for guests. It will be first dibs on those.
There are also a few B&B's and a hotel not that far away.

June 15-16

I'd like everyone who will be participating in the clinic to chime in And let me know if you are a participant or a spectator. Spectators are free but you will get stuck with the cooking and go fetch it jobs.
We need a volunteer to bring a gas BBQ.
Most likely balljoint and MGD will be providing the entertainment with their rendition of Doug and Bob McKenzie.

Peteyd from Restoration Design will be there and most likely Mike from mikes914 as well and I believe Mr Hyde said he will be attending.

Update!

We really only have room for 20 students so get you name in ASAP. I don't know when Dr. Evil will ever be able to do this again...some day they may make him get serious about his real job shades.gif

Officially on the list:

Peteyd (Pete), plus 911 friend
Jon H (Jon)
Cool914 (Greg)
MrHyde (Mike)
MDG (Mike) paid + 2 seal kits
Balljoint (Dave)
boiledcabbage (Richard) paid
Ian Stott paid
Olin paid + seal kit
want to be a GT1
spsader (Paul)

Woah!! sounds good my 916 clone should b done by then and could likely make the blast out there ... but I was on world some months ago and spotted a 914/6 with a lowered roof for sale -looked very cool does anyonyone have pictures ?or know where it is on the web ?as I would like my autobody guy to seee it then the idea of shaving an inch or so might be a reality and make for one sharp looking 914/6
Ian Stott
[quote name='Dr Evil' date='Feb 14 2013, 10:37 PM' post='1820525']
$40 per seal kit wink.gif
Done successfully again, I'm starting to get the hang of this computer stuff! Maybe in another year or 2 I will be able to post pic's! They should have a clinic for that!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Dr Evil
Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada,

I just figure you never posted pics because you had a face for radio confused24.gif poke.gif
Ian Stott
[quote name='Dr Evil' date='Feb 17 2013, 12:04 PM' post='1821692']
Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada,

I just figure you never posted pics because you had a face for radio confused24.gif poke.gif

It may be good that I can't post pics as I am considered to be very handsome, it is a burden at times and when you combine that with an orange 914 with polished Fuchs........... well it pisses off the vette guys!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Dr Evil
Do the women of Newfoundland have beards too? Like dwarfs? biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
Been away for the new Canadian "Family Day" long weekend. I know it's a real original name for a long weekend. biggrin.gif

Is everything on the page 1 list up to date?
Oh and ..... icon_bump.gif
biggrin.gif

Oh and newfie women don't have beards, but some are from Dildo.
Mark Henry
icon_bump.gif
Dr Evil
Yup, lots of crickets from this page sad.gif People still have time to pay, but the sooner the better so I can secure some cheap parts for people.

Anyone with spare transmissions to sell? I am interested.
Dr Evil
peteyd paid, bought a special tool, and 2 seal kits smile.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 21 2013, 07:41 PM) *

peteyd paid, bought a special tool, and 2 seal kits smile.gif

Is his friend still coming? idea.gif
Mark Henry
Those who have not paid no big deal, but could you please give Dr.Evil a heads up on a time frame. If you need a seal kit don't leave it till the last minute as Doc has to order in the kits. Also the doc is buying parts for us (dog teeth, brake bands, 1st gear sliders, SS nuts and washers etc.) and the more peeps who have paid the better he can judge our needs.
Last time one tranny didn't get finished because we ran out of 1st gear sliders. I finished that tranny for Mike914, but I would rather not run short this time.

If you think tranny work is over your head, don't worry the Doctor and I will make sure your transmission is done right.
If you want you tranny rebuilt, but can not make the clinic, let the doctor or me know and we will see what we can do. I may do a gear change on one of my rebuilt tranny's but I should have a bit of spare time.

The Doctor is buying core transmissions, let us know what you have.

The list as of today, let me know if there needs to be any corrections.
Officially on the list:

Peteyd (Pete),paid, special tool + 2 seal kits plus 911 friend?
Jon H (Jon)
Cool914 (Greg)
MrHyde (Mike)
MDG (Mike) paid + 2 seal kits
Balljoint (Dave)
boiledcabbage (Richard) paid
Ian Stott paid + seal kit
Olin paid + seal kit
want to be a GT1
spsader (Paul)
spsader
I have sent PM to the good doctor
Am on the hunt for O X and H gear sets
Looking forward to June beerchug.gif
Paul
Dr Evil
I have found some O and X gears, but only one reasonable H gear at the moment. PM if you want them.
Mark Henry
icon_bump.gif

bumparoo
Dr Evil
Gear sets on the way!
Dr Evil
So, Mark you have an X reserved, spsader has OXH reserved leaving me with:
2 O sets
2 H sets
1 X set
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 26 2013, 06:15 PM) *

2 O sets
2 H sets
1 X set

Cool. smile.gif
That should give me A, F, O, X, HB and I'll only use 1st as a be-low for when I'm on a bad grade. I think IIRC I can lock out first and reverse with my rennshifter.

Over the next few days I'll dig in and confirm that I have an O gear in that 911/01 box. I should as that's what suppose to be in there
I figured out how the get that stuck pressure plate out, if you ever run into this issue you have to sneak the wench in and undo the pivot bolt. It took a while and didn't seem to be working at first, but worked like a charm
MDG

2 O sets
2 H sets
1 X set

I'll also take whatever you have that I'll need to do the swap for the 3.2 and hunt for the remainder
Mark Henry
QUOTE(MDG @ Feb 26 2013, 08:02 PM) *

2 O sets
2 H sets
1 X set

I'll also take whatever you have that I'll need to do the swap for the 3.2 and hunt for the remainder

Mike you'll need O, X and H and you should be good for gears.
So unless someone beat you to them in a PM I'm calling dibs on those for you.
You'll have to PM the Doc and confirm this.

That means the doc only has O and an H left right now.
Dr Evil
MDG has OHX now smile.gif

One O and one H left.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 26 2013, 10:39 PM) *

MDG has OHX now smile.gif

One O and one H left.

14.gif
spsader
Thanks to the Dr for his efforts getting the needed gear sets
Dr Evil
Its easier to buy gear set for less than ridiculous prices when I am buying in bulk smile.gif I love telling someone, "How much for ALL of them?" It makes me feel powerful.
balljoint
mellow.gif
Dr Evil
Dave, what happens in Thailand, STAYS in Thailand mad.gif
MDG
Oh dear lord . . .

pinch.gif

Must refrain . . .

must refrain.

uh-oh

blowup.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(MDG @ Feb 27 2013, 10:26 PM) *

Oh dear lord . . .

pinch.gif

Must refrain . . .

must refrain.

uh-oh

blowup.gif

Back to the sandbox with you mad.gif
And take your little friend with you! alfred.gif
Mark Henry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf53jOUXbpI

Dr Evil
MrHyde is paid! smile.gif
pete-stevers
I think we should have a west coaster tranny clinic as well...iffin you make across the border with your tools....
I could host!
some hot August day
Dr Evil
Being that I can drive to East Canada, less participants are needed. However, I am willing to go ANYWHERE as long as enough people are there to cover the cost. I am currently in talks with Australians to do a few clinics out there and maybe one in New Zealand smile.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 3 2013, 10:06 PM) *

Being that I can drive to East Canada, less participants are needed. However, I am willing to go ANYWHERE as long as enough people are there to cover the cost. I am currently in talks with Australians to do a few clinics out there and maybe one in New Zealand smile.gif

I dorve to the Kootenays (about half way across BC) in two and a half days from here...of course that was 18hr days with almost no breaks. In a 1.8L VW golf it cost me $600 in gas roundtrip, that's back when gas was 80 cents a liter. Trip would run me at least $1000 in fuel now, again in a small car. I believe the Doc is another 8 hours (16hrs round trip) from my place.
Mark Henry
icon_bump.gif
balljoint
mellow.gif
Dr Evil
Or, ya could just pay me, Dave dry.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(balljoint @ Mar 6 2013, 10:55 AM) *

Say Mark, did you want the boys and I to drive this thread around the block until the Spring to keep it warm?

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 6 2013, 11:18 AM) *

IPB Image
balljoint
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 6 2013, 11:26 AM) *

QUOTE(balljoint @ Mar 6 2013, 10:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 6 2013, 11:18 AM) *

IPB Image

Okay. I am sorry about that. I will get on that right away.
MDG
David!

dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.