Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
rgalla9146
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 29 2017, 12:04 PM) *

Both of the pictured cars are 1970s...orange one 3/'70...yellow one 5/'70 ?
Both are 6s but I don't think that matters.
It's an early thing.

Yes, Glen is correct !!!!!!
pete000
All the early horns I have ever seen had screws and were galvanized. I had mine cad plated silver as they were really tattered.
SixerJ
Fantastic build and attention to detail & look forward to my daily 1st thing in the morning fix with a cup of coffee.gif
Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif
defianty
QUOTE(banananose914 @ Jun 29 2017, 04:46 PM) *

QUOTE(defianty @ Jun 29 2017, 12:57 AM) *

Looking fantastic. I think those rubber plugs are installed back to front.

On the far right and left they are reversed. Of the donor cars I have disassembled I have found them to be that way. Thanks, Jim

Well I didn't know that, thanks.
banananose914
Here are a couple of pictures of the targa bar pad. We noticed that when we were fitting another pad, there were no holes on the underside of the targa bar where you would attach the screws vertically to hold the pad on. There were screw holes to attach it horizontally, but none vertically. This particular area of the car was in great shape, and as such did not need any bodywork. When I took the original pad off, I don' t remember if it had holes or not. The pad, like the rest of the car was thrashed. Is there another 914 or 914/6 out there with no holes on the underside of the targa bar? Seeing as how I already had a targa pad out to be recovered, I had the underside holes of the pad covered over. I didn't want to drill holes in the car that weren't there. Andy found a guy in Torrance to recover it. It came out pretty ice. Another peculiar 914 thing.
euro911
Mind sharing the Torrance upholsterer info? ... I'm in Torrance and my pad could stand to be redone popcorn[1].gif
banananose914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 1 2017, 07:58 PM) *

Mind sharing the Torrance upholsterer info? ... I'm in Torrance and my pad could stand to be redone popcorn[1].gif

I'll see Andy tomorrow and let you know
Socalandy
Happy 4th everyone !!!

Were on the short end of it now beerchug.gif Polished the mirrors, vapor barriers and door panels
Socalandy
icon_bump.gif
Socalandy
smile.gif
raynekat
Everything looking killer on your car. Well done!
ndfrigi
yehey! After Andy did most of the help finishing Jim's orange, now I can test drive it or maybe just Jim's white not this expensive orange! hehehe
Congratulations sir Jim! Happy Independence Day!
Cairo94507
Wowzer! That really looks very nice. My hat is off to you guys. smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
altitude411
So beau-ti -ful! Thank you for posting... living vicariously thru your thread. It's much less expensive this way. dry.gif
Larmo63
That looks great!

My hat is off to all of you guys who put this roller back on the road.
sb914
Nice job ! Jim
You should "trailer" it down to Temecula 914 day!
It's to clean to drive !
defianty
Beautiful!
banananose914
QUOTE(defianty @ Jul 5 2017, 11:48 AM) *

Beautiful!

Thank you for the great comments and compliments! Kent and Andy are a great team to have on a project of this magnitude. I'm really impressed. We may put power to the engine this Sunday. Hey Ed. I'm going to try and make the show, but it will probably be in the white car. Jim
banananose914
I disassembled the seat belts and had the hardware clear zinced. I also had them re sewn. Some upholstery shops won't sew them, for obvious reasons. I also have the center seat belt, but I think I'll be using the center tray with the hinged top. The center seat belt would look kind of weird with that type of tray. I'll have a picture of the center tray shortly. It was recovered and looks pretty good. JimClick to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
daytona
Beautiful restoration.
I noticed that you used some sound deadening material on the firewall. Are you going to install it on the floor as well?
What kind did you use? Dynamat?
Great job.
Bill.
banananose914
QUOTE(daytona @ Jul 8 2017, 03:09 PM) *

Beautiful restoration.
I noticed that you used some sound deadening material on the firewall. Are you going to install it on the floor as well?
Great job.
Bill.

Hey Bill. Andy put it on. He's coming by tomorrow for our weekly build party. I'll find out and let you know. As far as putting it on the floor, I'm still debating that one. Thanks for the compliment. Jim.
Socalandy
QUOTE(daytona @ Jul 8 2017, 03:09 PM) *

Beautiful restoration.
Great job.
Bill.

It's STP sound mat. Acquired from my local audio shop. Great sound and heat reduction and conforms well.
Socalandy
More progress today...
Socalandy
biggrin.gif
Socalandy
smash.gif
Socalandy
icon_bump.gif
Socalandy
It won't be long now driving.gif
Socalandy
beerchug.gif
Socalandy
Tomorrow Rafino will come aktion035.gif
Socalandy
yellowsleep[1].gif goodnight
banananose914
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jul 9 2017, 09:04 PM) *

yellowsleep[1].gif goodnight

And a goodnight to you too. If I weren't so tired I would come over to your house, Kent's house, Bob's house and Dave's house and tuck each of you sons a b-----s in. We done good today!
ndfrigi
Can't wait to see ur car sir Jim!
SixerJ
She's looking stunning boys
Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif
banananose914
Had the windshield installed today. Big difference in appearance. One more thing that leads us closer to the finish line. It definitely gives it a finished look. B pillar pads, inside rear view mirror, visors. and pad up next. I'm tempted to have the boys push me around the block just to make me feel like I'm actually driving.Click to view attachment
pete000
Looking like a future Parade winner !
Cairo94507
driving.gif Vroom Vroom.
db9146
Nice car Jim. Could you please post a side shot of the new windshield to show the profile of the curvature at the top?

Thx
banananose914
Here are some shots of the side of the windshield. It's kind of difficult to see the curvature at the top. I'm going to check the windshield on my white car and see if the curvature is the same or more pronounced. The windshield on my white 914 is original to the car. I'll try to check it out tomorrow and report back with the results. Jim.
banananose914
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jul 9 2017, 11:29 PM) *

Can't wait to see ur car sir Jim!

Let me know when you want to come over.
Larmo63
Wonderful car, it looks really great!!

smilie_pokal.gif
rick 918-S
Getting closer! aktion035.gif
banananose914
Here are a couple of side shots of the original windshield on my white 914. Seems to be the same curvature of the one on the orange car. JimClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
db9146
Jim,
Thanks for checking both cars, especially since your white one has the original glass.

The reason I was asking is because I remember reading about some of the new glass having less curvature but I had no frame of reference. At some point I'll replace mine and since you had just installed the Porsche glass in the orange, I was curious. Is the glass in the orange one NOS or a recent Porsche Classic part?

I recently bought the verticle sail panel trim and eventhough is says Porsche and Made in Germany, the shape on the inside at the bottom is not the same - I'm still trying to determine if I going to use it or not.
banananose914
It didn't look like old packaging for the windshield. I would say it was probably Porsche Classic. I had to work a little on my sail panel trim as will. So much so that I damaged one and ordered another one. I believe it was $150.00. Another expensive lesson learned. Jim.
db9146
QUOTE(banananose914 @ Jun 14 2017, 08:06 PM) *

Although the windshield is in, it's not yet in the car. I waited about two months to get it. I'll let you know if it was worth the price and the wait. I also attached a picture of the NOS air leaner box. I gave the old one to Kent for helping me out. Now that I know how to post pictures, you guys are in trouble. Jim
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 3 2017, 12:08 PM) *

Done. Installed and gone. Worked great in the shop here. Don't know if the owner's had a chance to do much testing.

And with my recent retreat from product sales, the only way to get one of these is to have me do the install. sad.gif The existing drawings and part numbers may become available if I ever decide how to distribute all that.

Jim, do you have any other photos of the underside of the NOS air cleaner, specifically the small pipe that extends straight down from the back center of the main body? I have one I need to replace that tube/metal support on and need a good reference. Since your's is NOS, it certainly qualifies.
Socalandy
Some more progress last weekend but didn't take many photos. NOS mirror
Socalandy
A pillars
Socalandy
Sun visors
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.