Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
doug_b_928
Very nice work!
Socalandy
My Dad's Lathe hard at work smile.gif getting closer to taking the rear quarters and fenders off the donor car.
Jim brought by a realy nice set of doors for the car, a little rott from the seal in one but great over all.
He got this set of early doors for $70.00...Wow! Great deal.
I got some more done on the fixture today. the fronts pretty much done and the rear is started. The front mounts at the four seporate rack mount points and centers on the OD of the mount points as the rack/suspension mount does and picks up the front torsion perches for properly locating them. I added brackets so I can do a soft pull if needed from the fixture to get the damaged car back into place. This would be done only after much of the metal is removed and taking care not to put any stress on the fixture. It looks like the 6 will need to be moved a bit in front.
The rear of the fixture is almost done and I hope to have the 6 mounted on it by the end of the next weekend. Can't wait to cut into the 6.
More pics.
More pics.
banananose914
Bad, bad ass!
Finished the fixture today and started cutting apart the Donor Car.
More pics.
More Pics.
More pics.
More pics.
Socalandy
Sweet, Amazing work as usual aktion035.gif
rick 918-S
Nice jig! That is going to work nicely.
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 14 2014, 07:36 AM) *

Nice jig! That is going to work nicely.

Thanks Rick. Congrats on making COTM...beautiful car.
More cutting, drilling, scraping on the donor car.
More pics.
More pics.
rick 918-S
I happen to know how much work you have into dissecting that shell. That is a bunch of work!

Click to view attachment
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 22 2014, 08:48 PM) *

I happen to know how much work you have into dissecting that shell. That is a bunch of work!

Click to view attachment

Oh yeah. I have seen that you dig in deep on these. It's a lot of work to get it them apart and still have something usable. It would be a lot easier if I had two to cut up. It's dificult to preserve both the fender and the cowl. It would be much quicker/easier to distroy the fender to get to the cowl and vice versa. I was able to get my plasma cutter in up under the fender near the cowl and knock the welds loose to get the fender off and didn't distroy the cowl and that's only after scraping out gobbs of seam sealer.
Whew!
Got the Donor car all cut up and off the fixture, now the 6 is on.
More.
More.
I used the rotissorie to lift the car onto the fixture. BTW Andy came by today and helped out...Thanks Man!
More.
more.
More.
As expected, the car is bent but no worries there will be no signs of an accident when completed. It's interesting how you can see exactly how off it is once on the fixture. The front is twisted and sitting high on the drivers side and the entire front of the car is still pushed over to the right and shoved back. The car was "repaired" after the accident but not properly. this pic shows the damage to the rear suspension console.
Cairo94507
Wow! Incredible work. Love seeing these pictures as the car is rescued and restored.
I cut and labled some aluminum welding rods to the exact lengths of measurment for the different openings on the car. this makes it easy to quickly measure as I work on the car.
Socalandy
We had a good day cutting up the donor and getting the -6 on the fixture. It needs a lot more attention but its in the right place to be fixed.

Got a major flash back once it was on the table blink.gif blink.gif
Socalandy
you forgot this one, the last of the donor car on the fixture. sawzall-smiley.gif
banananose914
You Dicks! Had I known, I would have come by to help you two Rump Rangers lift the six onto the jig.
Larmo63
Really interesting to see the inside guts of the 914 body. You guys have big balls and big ambition with these old sixes, love to watch this one take shape!
Harpo
This is amazing to watch the amount of love going in to this car. I'm very impressed

David
dw914six
Is it possible to estimate a number on the cost of bringing this one back? I know it's your business, so hope it's not in bad taste.

I just cannot imagine a project of this magnitude.

1. Is it cost effective?
a. The cost of the rusty 914-6 plus the restoration costs.
b. Would it be cheaper to buy one that is sound?
2. Can the car be as structurally sound and reliable as one which is a solid example from the start?

I know you guys on the site do magic with these cars, so I am guessing the car will be structurally fine. I would still believe one this far gone would be cost prohibitive today, given a nice 914-6 is still reasonable to buy. If you are doing the restoration work yourself, on your own car, then I know it would make sense. But to pay a professional to do all of this amazing work seems like it would add up to a very large number.
rick 918-S
First of all, Using a mix of NOS parts, nice rust free parts and proper welding principals there is no way this car will be structurally deficient. Specially when an unrestored car has hidden rust that is creeping throughout the chassis in all the locations that this shop is repairing.

The repairs will add up to a very large number. This is not something you would do to a 4. If your thinking of doing this kind of a thing as a quick investment forget it. But with low production numbers and an increased interest in the cars, long term is an other story entirely.
ndfrigi
Jim, owner of the 914 Kent is restoring drop bye again yesterday at my place and we did talked about several items regarding our love to 914. I've been checking this thread and I did'nt know it was Jim's car until yesterday, he told me same shop who did SoCal Andy's car. Wow I did ask him how much he might spend to restore his car to concour/original shape and he told me the amount, Well it is a large amount!!! Jim has been collecting parts and although he has the specific part, he will still buy same part(s) just to get the better one to be installed to his project.

Jim is really a nice and humble guy and hardly comment on 914world and as far as I know he has another 914-6 beside the current project and has a beautiful white 73 that He drove the 1st time he visited me.

Thanks Kent for updating the thread of the current status of the restoration. Jim and I might drive there one of this day and drive our 914 to check the car.

banananose914
Hey Rick, my sentiments exactly. And thank you, Noe.
QUOTE(dw914six @ Jan 4 2015, 04:37 PM) *

Is it possible to estimate a number on the cost of bringing this one back? I know it's your business, so hope it's not in bad taste.

I just cannot imagine a project of this magnitude.

1. Is it cost effective?
a. The cost of the rusty 914-6 plus the restoration costs.
b. Would it be cheaper to buy one that is sound?
2. Can the car be as structurally sound and reliable as one which is a solid example from the start?

I know you guys on the site do magic with these cars, so I am guessing the car will be structurally fine. I would still believe one this far gone would be cost prohibitive today, given a nice 914-6 is still reasonable to buy. If you are doing the restoration work yourself, on your own car, then I know it would make sense. But to pay a professional to do all of this amazing work seems like it would add up to a very large number.

Not in bad taste at all, very good questions. I think Rick's answer is dead on. As far as prices go, it is hard to give a quote on a project this big but I did give Jim (the customer) an idea of what I thought it would be at the end. The final cost will be based on time and materials, so shop rate plus cost of materials.

It is a real 6 and also numbers matching so It has to be restored.
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 4 2015, 05:12 PM) *

First of all, Using a mix of NOS parts, nice rust free parts and proper welding principals there is no way this car will be structurally deficient. Specially when an unrestored car has hidden rust that is creeping throughout the chassis in all the locations that this shop is repairing.

The repairs will add up to a very large number. This is not something you would do to a 4. If your thinking of doing this kind of a thing as a quick investment forget it. But with low production numbers and an increased interest in the cars, long term is an other story entirely.

Perfectly put.
More work this week.
Trimming edges.
Jim, I promise I will stop cutting before there is no car left.
Yikes!
Andy and Jim located a NOS drivers side long.
SirAndy
QUOTE(914350 @ Jan 12 2015, 10:01 AM) *

Andy and Jim located a NOS drivers side long.

smilie_pokal.gif Very nice ...
altitude411
NOS drivers long? Andy & Jim must be connected.... ninja.gif Do you guy's have key's to the Porsche factory? shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.