Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OFFICIAL: WCR 2017 Thread Mammoth Lakes June 1, 2, 3, 4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
76-914
Yea, my wife bailed at the last moment but I was going to try to fill that spot with a high class hooker before I offered it up to Lawrence. evilgrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 22 2017, 06:29 AM) *
Yea, my wife bailed at the last moment but I was going to try to fill that spot with a high class hooker before I offered it up to Lawrence. evilgrin.gif

I hear his services are top notch!
grouphug.gif
Steve
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 21 2017, 08:50 PM) *

So far, I have no place to stay up there, but I'm holding out hope and I am excited.

I think?

Someone will either cancel or significant other decides not to go. My wife and sister are on the fence. I might also have to cancel depending on the outcome of my doctors appointment next Tuesday. Crap happens...
Andyrew
I have one canceled registration. I have to get the total dinner guests that I am financially responsible to by noon today.

SO if you have a guest not coming or might not be coming yourself LET ME KNOW BY NOON! I Might be able to get you some credit back from your registration!
stevend914
smile.gif Everything is looking good for my departure tomorrow morning! driving.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(stevend914 @ May 23 2017, 10:57 AM) *

smile.gif Everything is looking good for my departure tomorrow morning! driving.gif

Safe travels! and a pray.gif to you!
See you soon.
green914
Safe travels for all agree.gif
driving-girl.gif driving.gif driving.gif
76-914
Wx looks like it will be nice; Highs= 70 / Lows= 40
76-914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 22 2017, 09:23 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 22 2017, 06:29 AM) *

I hear his services are top notch!
grouphug.gif

theexperience_hud.gif aaron.gif gayfight.gif av-943.gif
Eddie914
Is Mammoth still open for snow skiing on 06/03/2017?
PlantMan
It will be open.
It was open until July 4th last year and they are coming off the best year in a long time. They got several feet of snow around Easter.

Check the cams:
Mammoth Cams
cary
Looks like I might need to paint the wheels on the studded tires I still have left from Montana.
Andyrew
QUOTE(cary @ May 24 2017, 06:55 PM) *

Looks like I might need to paint the wheels on the studded tires I still have left from Montana.

Planning on driving up the snowy mountain ?
Eddie914
914 - Check
Tow Vehicle - Check
Spousal Approval - Check

WCR - Yeah!

School buddy dies sad.gif ... Memorial on June 03, 2017

Where is WCR 2018?
VegasRacer
I thought all I had to do to get Elvira ready for the trip was to wash her and gas up.

Now this. headbang.gif
Click to view attachment

Do I need to replace the broken clutch cable or can I just splice it back together again?
Larmo63
I'm taking Keith's room, I'm set, thank you for all the positive feedback.

I won't be driving my project which is inching ever so close to being done, but I am a sold out 914 fan. I'll bring my guitar and hopefully someone else will too so we can jam.

See you Friday!!!!
See, I'm still excited.
Mike Bellis
Love this video. Too bad the road to Yosemite will not be open...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crECtMJQ3OA
Steve
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ May 24 2017, 08:23 PM) *

Love this video. Too bad the road to Yosemite will not be open...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crECtMJQ3OA

Yep.. I plan on skiing one day. Next best thing!! Hope it's not too icy
Andyrew
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ May 24 2017, 07:48 PM) *

I thought all I had to do to get Elvira ready for the trip was to wash her and gas up.

Now this. headbang.gif
Click to view attachment

Do I need to replace the broken clutch cable or can I just splice it back together again?

I would just replace the cable. Much easier than splicing it and a much longer term solution. Looks like iy snapped at the roller anyways, cant splice that.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Eddie914 @ May 24 2017, 07:40 PM) *

914 - Check
Tow Vehicle - Check
Spousal Approval - Check

WCR - Yeah!

School buddy dies sad.gif ... Memorial on June 03, 2017

Where is WCR 2018?

Determined typically a couple months after WCR.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 24 2017, 10:27 PM) *

cant splice that.

It was supposed to be a joke. clown.gif

While I am in there . . . . I think I will replace the throttle cable as well. Both are 15-25 years old, with lots of hard use. smash.gif
green914
laugh.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif
Rand
Gorilla tape. Fixer right up.
Andyrew
OK,

Im going to put this to a poll.

Guests, Friday we will have our "Long" drive. We have two options.

1. Drive up to South Lake Tahoe: Its a beautiful drive and a fantastic destination which most might want to spend all day at. Lunch options will be either a packed lunch (provided) or one of the many great eateries.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/South+Lake+...33;2d37.6508758

2. Drive South to Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest: Incredibly twisty road with a great view. We'll have a packed lunch at the lodge and those that want to head back can and those that want to keep driving can as well. Great roads.

Saturday will be local short drives to enjoy the local lakes and park roads as well as activities and a show and shine with the awards dinner to follow afterwards.
piscean914
drive south!!!

done the north several times
ConeDodger
Not that I get a vote, but I live there! (North)

South!
Andyrew
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 25 2017, 01:51 PM) *

Not that I get a vote, but I live there! (North)

South!

You get a vote this time biggrin.gif
76-914
Define Long Drive. Save the golf jokes.
second wind
Bristlecone pines for me.....I hear it is a very rough and possibly dirt road. Maybe Death Valley should be an option? Driving to another city sounds eh? to me.
gg
Steve
I say south. Driven to Tahoe a bazillion times
Eddie914
South ...

I would love to join everyone!

Gotta go to a memorial ... one of those once in a lifetime kind of things sad.gif
Dtjaden
REVISED: my wife votes for south which means that I also do. HWHL

Am clearly a minority opinion but having driven both north and south from Mammoth including 395 to CA 168 and on to Nevada. The south route suggested is "boring" compared to a north route of 395 to CA 89 to South Lake Tahoe. Also many great restaurant choices in South Lake.
Heeltoe914
I've got a question to anyone that lives in or around the mammoth lakes area? I need to drive from Mammoth Lakes, our hotel to Hayward California.. planed on leaving after the banquet, Map says I need to go north around the mountain.
I need to do this drive after the banquet I expect it to be five to six hour drive what kind of Roads? what kind of conditions? anything I should know?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ May 26 2017, 01:48 AM) *

I've got a question to anyone that lives in or around the mammoth lakes area? I need to drive from Mammoth Lakes, our hotel to Hayward California.. planed on leaving after the banquet, Map says I need to go north around the mountain.
I need to do this drive after the banquet I expect it to be five to six hour drive what kind of Roads? what kind of conditions? anything I should know?

North on 395 to 80? Peice of cake. Some road construction delay on 80 in 3-4 different spots. You can avoid that by going the slow but scenic hwy50 route and rejoin 80 in Sacramento. Roads are dry though there is plenty of snow off the side of the road.
Cracker
Please consider whichever route has larger mountains (and especially) is green-er (whether that is the Northern or Southern routes)...

I am going to have my eyeballs full of "desert and dry" landscape for the last 2.5 days of travel (I am not a fan of desert/dry landscapes - I am a Southeasterner!).

Whichever route avoids seeing more of it - it would be appreciated.

Tony

QUOTE(Dtjaden @ May 25 2017, 11:47 PM) *

The south route suggested is "boring" compared to a north route of 395 to CA 89 to South Lake Tahoe. Also many great restaurant choices in South Lake.

And we are off...see everyone in Cali! piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Safe travels, my friend! driving.gif See you soon!
Dtjaden
QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ May 25 2017, 09:48 PM) *

You have a few choices:
Shortest - us395 to ca89 to ca88 to i5 to i580 - 7+ hours
Easier - us385 in Gardnerville, NV cut over to ca88 to ca89 to us50 to i5 to i580 - 6 1/2+ hours
Easiest- us395 to i80 to i680 - 7+ hours

Since I am flat towing my car I will be taking the Easier route above to Mammoth. Undecided about the drive back on Tuesday.
green914
South is okay with me, but for the folks driving from far away that may never have been to Tahoe we should go north. driving.gif driving.gif driving-girl.gif driving.gif driving.gif
dgrooover
We are staying at the Mammoth Lakes RV Park.......full hookups. Flat Towing from LA.....Cant WaitClick to view attachment
jim_hoyland
Are you driving up Thursday ?
Steve
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 26 2017, 04:38 PM) *

Are you driving up Thursday ?

I plan on driving up Thursday pending the outcome of my doctors appointment this Tuesday. I might have to cancel and not go at all.
Steve
QUOTE(green914 @ May 26 2017, 04:20 PM) *

South is okay with me, but for the folks driving from far away that may never have been to Tahoe we should go north. driving.gif driving.gif driving-girl.gif driving.gif driving.gif

I agree... people who have never been to Tahoe should have a higher vote.
tygaboy
This has gotten out of control... But I think you'll like it! aktion035.gif
76-914
I hope were headed to the place where those fabulous pic's depicted at the start of the thread were taken. Wherever that is is where I am headed. I'm flat towing up 395 Thurs AM so I imagine I'll be passed by several of you not towing. beerchug.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(dgrooover @ May 26 2017, 04:26 PM) *

We are staying at the Mammoth Lakes RV Park.......full hookups. Flat Towing from LA.....Cant WaitClick to view attachment

David! Finally you posted!! welcome.png
Andyrew
QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 26 2017, 06:20 PM) *

This has gotten out of control... But I think you'll like it! aktion035.gif

Is the world rusty? If so you have a twisted mind happy11.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(green914 @ May 26 2017, 04:20 PM) *

You live in Sacramento... chair.gif Go East
Andyrew
Heres my plan. Open for interpretation. I spoke to the park rangers to get the skinny on the road conditions and Devilspostpile is closed sad.gif as well as the small lakes in mammoth beyond Twin Lakes. So this is what they reccomended. NOTE: Ancient Bristlecone is at 10k feet, there is no snow on the road beyond where were going, but carb cars will probably have an issue. I have 5 seats in my Fiesta and I can comfortably take an extra 2 people for a ride they are not likely to forget.

Friday: Drive to Ancient Bristlecone. We leave around 9:30ish Get there around 11:30-noon and have a picnic lunch (Provided). Spend about an hour or so there taking in the area, sights, maybe the road some more and head back. Afternoon is spent in the hotel lot with maybe some games and chit chat, then everyone breaks for dinner (Or you can join me at probably the Mammoth Brewing Company.)
Click to view attachment
Fun zones
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Saturday: Morning is show and shine, everyone grabs a early lunch and we head out around noon-12:30. We'll take some group photos on Brenton Crossing road as there is a cascade of mountains all around us on that road. Drive through the hotsprings and the pine forest to Mono lake where we will take a break to soak in the sites, then for those that need to the Chevron in Lee Vining for gas and a drive through June Lake loop on our way back to the hotel. Everyone takes a little break then the awards dinner (Provided) in the hotel.
Click to view attachment
piscean914
looks great! thanks for taking the time and effort to put all of this together!
tygaboy
I have at least 2 extra spots, if anyone is looking for a ride.
Larry, my co-pilot is the guy bringing the drone so count us in for any/all photo ops!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.