Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OFFICIAL: WCR 2017 Thread Mammoth Lakes June 1, 2, 3, 4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
sb914
Going to Portugal and Spain in July,probably won't have the funds to do both so close together headbang.gif we'll have to see! Maybe
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(Mr.Nobody @ Oct 5 2016, 07:16 PM) *

My wife and I lived in Mammoth for 5 years. We still have a number of connections up there. If you need any help setting things up, organizing, or coming up with ideas let me know.

Sounds fun. I'll check my calendar

Mike and I are making a run up to Mammoth this weekend. Any input for attractions or places we should check into would be appreciated before we leave early Saturday morning. Thanks for the offer.
Marty

Mr.Nobody
Just spent the past 45 minutes typing up songwri somethingting for you guys, only to have my computer crash and lose everything.

Give me a night to regain my composure and I'll send you something tomorrow.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Oct 6 2016, 01:50 PM) *

Mike and I are making a run up to Mammoth this weekend. Any input for attractions or places we should check into would be appreciated before we leave early Saturday morning. Thanks for the offer.
Marty

My wife and I were just up there. The road from Mono Lake to near Benton that then cuts back over to Mammoth Lakes is a great driving road. Not particularly long, but really scenic.

Bodie isn't far, Victoria Lakes, Convict Lake (good parking and a great place for a picnic), hot springs, Mono Lake (south shore), Rainbow Falls/Devil's Postpile, Yosemite... Tons of stuff all pretty close by.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(JustinMeier @ Oct 6 2016, 08:22 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 5 2016, 06:08 PM) *

Motel 6 is $10 less per night than the negotiated price for the resort.. FYI. They had a crappy pool, no restraunt or bar or conference area, and the parking was horrible for a meeting area.

Looks like a decent amount of people so far and still many of the regulars havent posted yet! We'll make sure to make this a great event smile.gif

From my experiences at RRC, I think we need a place we can get kicked in to, not out of wink.gif

Averages... high mid 70s, low mid 40s. I'd rather be drinking indoors too biggrin.gif
Dtjaden
I stayed at the Juniper Springs Resort last summer. Very nice townhouse and condo style accommodations. Maybe the best part for us, indoor parking garage.

I stayed at the Village Lodge this past summer over the 4th of July. It's more centrally located but did cost a few dollars more.

Mammoth mountain held its last downhill ski runs on the 4th. Huge party!
JustinMeier
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 6 2016, 08:53 PM) *

Averages... high mid 70s, low mid 40s. I'd rather be drinking indoors too biggrin.gif

No kidding! 70 is down jacket weather now that I'm in Phoenix laugh.gif
piscean914
marked on my calendar - hope to be there - just waiting for hotel reservation info - thanks again!, brad in seattle
Mike D.
I'm already there waiting for everyone!
biggrin.gif
Rand
db9146
Hey Tony (Cracker),

Your idea for a trip with your son sounds like a great father/son trip!!!

Dee
ClayPerrine
idea.gif 22 h 10 min (1,520 miles)

Might be a good break in trip for the 4.0. idea.gif

Depends if I can get it done by then.

Mike Bellis
Just got back from doing a little recon. Mammoth Mountain Inn is in a good spot, secluded, big campus. I don't think Amoy will get us kicked out.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

There are some cool roads for 914. Fon the hotel to Yosemite Valley floor will be about a 2 hour drive. Entrance fee is $30 and good for 7 days. There is a great spot on the West side of Tuolumne Meadows for a photo opp. Many other too but this one looked great. We did not go into the valley this time as we were on a mission to get to Mammoth.

We also hit up a couple loops around lakes, like the June Lake loop. Lots of cool roads.

We headed out to Bodie (ghost town) on a short cut provided by my iphone. It turned into a 4WD road and Marty had to turn back. My Dodge Diesel made quick work of the sand wash. Ended up being a 10 mile dirt road through a valley and over a mountain. Not a good 914 road. The way out we took the main road which was 3 miles of dirt, then nice pavement. a 914 could eisliy make this road but would be very dusty at the end. I think Bodie is off the list. It is very cool and a must see for all at some point.

Click to view attachment

For those that are towing from the central valley, use Hwy 120 through Yosemite. We took Hwy 108 over the Sonora pass on the way back. This is an awesome road if you are driving your 914 but would be sketchy on the East side of the mountain if you tow. We could do a long tour Hwy 395 to 120 into Yosemite, then on to 108 and back to 395. Would be an awesome 914 drive but maybe 5-6 hours of seat time.
driving.gif
Cracker
Thanks Mike for doing this (and Marty too)...I only have 3" of ground clearance (I rub on a ripple) I don't mind breaking from the pack to take another route but is there is there one in the vicinity of the off-road/dirt road? Race cars on roads problem.

Tony
Andyrew
Bodie I think will stay on the "Optional" suggested sites for non 914's. I plan on having a good amount of unscheduled sites and maps available to allow for those with extra time built into their schedule to enjoy the area or for those that dont want to take the longer trips that we may schedule.

Mike and Marty, Great recon mission! We have lots of great stuff to discuss!!
RoadGlue
Did you go into Bodie off the main road from 395? I ask because there are four or five different roads into the park, most of which are not very well maintained. Only the main road in is any good. It's paved until the last three or so miles. It's good dirt, except for the washboarding in certain sections. No ground clearance issues, even with a lowered 914.

Washboarding sucks, but from what you've described you went in from one of the alternate entrances.

Source: I was there three weeks ago.
76-914
Washboarding ain't too bad if you keep the speed up (above 30). beerchug.gif
Cracker
Maybe an adjustment is in the works...for others too! beerchug.gif

Tony

Mike Bellis
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Oct 10 2016, 10:01 AM) *

Did you go into Bodie off the main road from 395? I ask because there are four or five different roads into the park, most of which are not very well maintained. Only the main road in is any good. It's paved until the last three or so miles. It's good dirt, except for the washboarding in certain sections. No ground clearance issues, even with a lowered 914.

Washboarding sucks, but from what you've described you went in from one of the alternate entrances.

I took a "short cut" lead by my iphone navigation system. It was clearly one of the other routes.

On the main road from 395, ground clearance would not be a problem for all but the lowest cars like Matthepcat's car. My car is low and I could make it on the main road. There is only 3 miles of maintained dirt road going this way. The other 4 routes into Bodie should only be driven by Eric Shea's rally car. Which would be a blast!

Marty and I need to make a couple more recon missions before the pass closes. It's supposed to rain this weekend so we will see how much snow falls in the mountain...

If we take 914's here, they WILL get dusty. We should go right before the show and shine. biggrin.gif
Rand
If you like ghost towns, Bodie is worth the effort.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Rand
If you love the outdoors, you can literally visit a dozen lakes in one day in that area, all near 395.

Click to view attachment
Busy beavers.
Click to view attachment
No, I wasn't leaning on a Tufa. It was yards behind.
mgp4591
QUOTE(Cracker @ Oct 10 2016, 06:24 AM) *

Thanks Mike for doing this (and Marty too)...I only have 3" of ground clearance (I rub on a ripple) I don't mind breaking from the pack to take another route but is there is there one in the vicinity of the off-road/dirt road? Race cars on roads problem.

Tony

I remember you didn't join the cruise to the dirt road site at Octeenerfest! shades.gif
Mikey914
Race you to the top!
matthepcat
Lowest smilie_pokal.gif

I can change lanes without hitting reflectors smile.gif

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Oct 10 2016, 05:50 PM) *

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Oct 10 2016, 10:01 AM) *

I took a "short cut" lead by my iphone navigation system. It was clearly one of the other routes.

On the main road from 395, ground clearance would not be a problem for all but the lowest cars like Matthepcat's car. My car is low and I could make it on the main road. There is only 3 miles of maintained dirt road going this way. The other 4 routes into Bodie should only be driven by Eric Shea's rally car. Which would be a blast!

Marty and I need to make a couple more recon missions before the pass closes. It's supposed to rain this weekend so we will see how much snow falls in the mountain...

If we take 914's here, they WILL get dusty. We should go right before the show and shine. biggrin.gif

jeffdon
Anyone considering camping?
JustinMeier
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Oct 11 2016, 07:12 AM) *

Eh, too cold for me. Average high/low, 70/40.
Mike Bellis

I think they have some camping spots right up the hill from the Hotel.
Rand
And a couple layers of fleece and a good sleeping bag is all you need. 40 degrees at coldest is seriously not cold for anyone who loves camping. All you need is the right gear to stay warm and comfy. Sleeping under the stars up there gives new meaning to stellar! So worth packing the right gear to enjoy night skies that most people never get to see. Up there, viewing satellites and meteors is guaranteed regularly.
Larmo63
Five hours and 36 minutes driving time one way.

I will be there if I get the car done by then.

I better get the car done by then, WAY before then.
Chris914n6
Five hours and 22-48 minutes driving time one way for me smile.gif

I will be there in the P-car or the P-truck or driving the P-truck towing the P-car.

I'd better finish one and not break the other.

* If I go thru Death Valley do I win a high-and-low award?
jeffdon
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Oct 11 2016, 08:46 PM) *

Looks like they are drunken stumble close enough.
jeffdon
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Oct 12 2016, 06:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Oct 11 2016, 08:46 PM) *

Looks like they are drunken stumble close enough.

Ooops, my bad. The inn is not in the same place as Mike's map.
Andyrew
NOTE:

Hotel Booking information can be found on the first page as well as the below, We will be at the Mammoth Mountain Inn.

Please use the below for booking your reservation
Booking ID#23451
Call: 1800-626-6684
IPB Image

Pricing structure below (Please ignore the Juniper Springs Resort)
IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Oct 9 2016, 07:31 PM) *
I don't think Amoy will get us kicked out.

Famous last words! Y'all know she's going to try ...
cheer.gif
siverson
> I better get the car done by then, WAY before then.

Me too. I hope to have my orange car together...

-Steve
warpig
piratenanner.gif Anh and I can't wait. My car will definitely be on the road by then driving-girl.gif
piscean914
booked for two - hopefully, my 914 will have a new coat of paint by then!!! see you guys soon, kinda! - brad in seattle
tygaboy
Reservation made! See you all there! driving.gif

Anyone want to caravan up from the general bay area?
6freak
Im up for a camp fire and sleeping under the stars OUTDOOR DRINKING! is the only way beerchug.gif I just need to find some large mountain in cali close to a ghost town and im there
and thanks to all that are putting this together
ConeDodger
Reservation made! Don't be a sucker and end up without a room! slap.gif
6freak
15 hrs 1 way im gonna pass on this one thanks anyway...i just know your all heart broken i wont be there av-943.gif have fun be safe

smile.gif
Cracker
Weak. I am 4.5 days (pulling a damn trailer no less) ...each way. shades.gif

Tony

QUOTE(6freak @ Nov 22 2016, 04:15 PM) *

15 hrs 1 way im gonna pass on this one thanks anyway...i just know your all heart broken i wont be there av-943.gif have fun be safe

smile.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(Cracker @ Nov 22 2016, 01:19 PM) *

Weak. I am 4.5 days (pulling a damn trailer no less) ...each way. shades.gif

Tony

QUOTE(6freak @ Nov 22 2016, 04:15 PM) *

smile.gif

Tony,

Are you going to trailer it out or fly? smile.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(6freak @ Nov 22 2016, 01:15 PM) *

smile.gif

Thats only a day of travel! The last 2 hours of the trip has amazing scenery!
Cracker
The "plan" is to trailer out, do WCR & a track day at Sonoma - that would be the ideal scenario. If a date (track day) can't be arranged I seriously have to consider just flying out with my son and renting a car - to trailer or not to trailer? It makes a 9 day difference in the schedule.

T

[quote name='Andyrew' date='Nov 22 2016, 05:55

Tony,

Are you going to trailer it out or fly? smile.gif
[/quote]
rhodyguy
Those scenic 2 hours will be in the pitch black after the drive down. 15.1 hours is unrealistic. Gas stops and straight thru. No fun any more.
6freak
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 22 2016, 06:02 PM) *

Those scenic 2 hours will be in the pitch black after the drive down. 15.1 hours is unrealistic. Gas stops and straight thru. No fun any more.

maybe with a co pilot it wouldnt be so bad 4.5 days man thats a haul
rhodyguy
A week away from the house is not in my future. You guys have fun.
TC 914-8
As much as I love Mamoth lakes, (summer and winter playground growing up in So Cal) the southern Oregon border is my limit. Hope to catch the next one, track days are the best time!!!!
jim_hoyland
Booked and ready to go.. any suggestions of a quaint locale to stay on the way up, maybe 100 miles south ? Would like to see something interesting and shoot pics.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.