Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Resto-Thread: '73 Marathon Blue 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
914_7T3
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
arne
Very nice, Jeffrey. Hope the progress continues at a pace like this.
914_7T3
Update:

Case has been split & everything blasted

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Cam is worn and will be replaced with NOS German along with the 96mm Pistons and Cylinders
Click to view attachment

Crank is good

Click to view attachment

Valve guides were shot, but intakes good.

Original German Valves look great and will be put back in along with the crank.

Click to view attachment

Should start going back together in a few weeks.
Jeffery,
Wow really looking good.. Keep on adding progress posts. Good luck..
914/Alan
914_7T3
Parts update: Recently acquired NOS/NLA Bumperettes & Regulator, rebuilt Koni reds with Rear Springs and 12v ignition coil

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

914_7T3
Thanks to Tom_T, was able to get an updated COA that specifically states "Marathon Blue Metallic" although they will not list the paint code of L96M

As per PCNA, "The COA will only list the Porsche Exterior Color code. It is similar to an option number/code for the exterior color that was chosen therefore the COA will list 89. We do not list paint codes on the COA"

Not sure that it matters so long as the proper color is listed as per the L96M punched into the chassis plate.

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
Picked up the Fan Shroud earlier today from the tumble blast procedure. The process and type of media used was not disclosed when asked. WTF.gif

The results far exceeded my expectation as the Magnesium case looks as new. The process actually closes the pores so it will not absorb any coatings and I am leaving it as is so as not to impede any heat dissipation once reinstalled. It looks so good that I will use the process on my transmission case as well as the decision was recently made to rebuild it now that it is out of the car.

Here are some before and after pics.

914_7T3
Had some Weld repairs done to the Heat Exchangers compliments of Tim at Morse Muffler & Performance Exhaust in Burbank...great shop!

Spent some time cleaning them up with a baking soda/water mixture and a soft/medium brush.

Might get into it a little more with some oxalic acid tomorrow.

Update:

Cleaned up a bit better with some Barkeeper's Friend containing Oxalic Acid. Looks like this is as good as they're going to get.

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
After treating the fuel tank to an acid bath and blasting prior to powder-coat, it seems the little rust demons were a little farther along than originally anticipated. Better to find out now than later.

Click to view attachment

Will now start the process over with a different tank.

headbang.gif
914_7T3
Was also able to source a replacement set of rubber bumpers for the tank.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Nov 1 2017, 12:50 PM) *

Was also able to source a replacement set of rubber bumpers for the tank.

Jefferey-

I like the detail you're sharing with us. Very motivating to say the least!!!

I'm starting to tear down my ORANGE 914 now.

I have a hunch you'll complete your resto before I complete my 914 Hauler.

See ya this weekend my friend....

driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

Oscar
Lucky9146
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Oct 28 2017, 03:57 PM) *

Had some Weld repairs done to the Heat Exchangers compliments of Tim at Morse Muffler & Performance Exhaust in Burbank...great shop!

Spent some time cleaning them up with a baking soda/water mixture and a soft/medium brush.

Might get into it a little more with some oxalic acid tomorrow.

Update:

Cleaned up a bit better with some Barkeeper's Friend containing Oxalic Acid. Looks like this is as good as they're going to get.

Click to view attachment

Great cleaning tips that I sure didn't know. They look great! beerchug.gif Thanks
white914.jpg
914_7T3
Calvin & Tucker Jumped right into this morning's Fed EX delivery thinking it was their dog food delivery from Chewy.com

Click to view attachment

But even better, turned out to be two boxes full of 914 Resto parts from 914Rubber.com. A big thank you to Mark and Scott for getting me sorted out with all this. This stuff looks really good and I'll spend some time on Saturday going through it.

Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Nov 2 2017, 09:50 AM) *

Calvin & Tucker Jumped right into this morning's Fed EX delivery thinking it was their dog food delivery from Chewy.com

Click to view attachment

But even better, turned out to be two boxes full of 914 Resto parts from 914Rubber.com. A big thank you to Mark and Scott for getting me sorted out with all this. This stuff looks really good and I'll spend some time on Saturday going through it.

Click to view attachment

I want your deep pockets....keep it coming.

poke.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

Oscar
914_7T3
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Nov 2 2017, 10:04 AM) *

QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Nov 2 2017, 09:50 AM) *

I want your deep pockets....keep it coming.

poke.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

Oscar

Getting down to just the lint way at the bottom....

sad.gif
Socalandy
nice progress popcorn[1].gif
914_7T3
Still moving along on schedule.

Doors and Trunk lids are already done up with Primer. Body work starts in earnest on Monday.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
barefoot
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Oct 20 2017, 08:33 PM) *

Update:

Original German Valves look great and will be put back in along with the crank.

Click to view attachment

Should start going back together in a few weeks.

DO NOT re-use 40 year old sodium filled exhaust valves disaster waiting to happen !
This is what happened as I was dis-assembling my 2L head, just tapped valve stem with mallet to insure stems not frozen in guides when spring popped loose.

Click to view attachment

914-300Hemi
Jeff,
You are making great progress. Wish I had much energy as you do.
914_7T3
Picked Up a second fuel tank over the weekend and had the inside treated. Upon pic- up noticed that it is also rusted in the exact same spot as the original tank and will open up upon prep for powder coat.

Unbelieveable, I still need to source a fuel tank without rust! This is a real PITA!!!

headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

tygaboy
I have a few good tanks... PM sent.
ndfrigi
Sir Jeffrey, maybe just need to buy new fuel cell!
914_7T3
Back from Powder Coating, clean and ready for re-installation! All I need is a matching Fuel Tank blink.gif

914_7T3
Disassembled two sets of head light buckets and need to figure out whether or not to media blast and powder coat these. Would also need to refinish all of the hardware and re-assemble.

Right brain would feel very accomplished in doing that. Left brain wants to buy a nice clean set and not even bother. What would you do?

confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
Here are some pics of the inside of Fuel tank #3 that I picked up from Bob B. As you can see its pretty clean.

I had treated the previous two tanks, however I am thinking to just go with it as is and just get the exterior powder coated.

Problem with rust treatment is that it needs to be resealed, but neutralized first with Muriatic acid and I'm not into burning the insides of my lungs with that stuff.

Is there any reason why I couldn't go with this tank as is on the inside? If so, let me know.

Click to view attachment

Larmo63
That tank looks fine. I'd run it.

Just PC or paint the headlight stuff proper gray color.
banananose914
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Nov 12 2017, 06:26 PM) *

Disassembled two sets of head light buckets and need to figure out whether or not to media blast and powder coat these. Would also need to refinish all of the hardware and re-assemble.

Right brain would feel very accomplished in doing that. Left brain wants to buy a nice clean set and not even bother. What would you do?

confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

I have done quite a few of these. Sandblast, paint and send the hardware out for re-plating. The chrome rings usually clean up pretty well. I have a gas tank as well. If you need help, let me know. I'll do what I can for you. Jim.
McMark
Run that tank.
Jeffery,
Its great you met Bob B. as he lives really close to me..
Looks like you 914 is really coming along as its a labor of love..
Take Care,Alan
PS.Haven't done anything with the Lic Plates..Been busy..

ValcoOscar
QUOTE(banananose914 @ Nov 12 2017, 10:31 PM) *

confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

I have done quite a few of these. Sandblast, paint and send the hardware out for re-plating. The chrome rings usually clean up pretty well. I have a gas tank as well. If you need help, let me know. I'll do what I can for you. Jim.

Jeffrey-

My 2 cents...

Right brain all the way so listen to Jim's expert advice...you won't regret it.

Oscar
arne
agree.gif with the others, run the tank as is, Jeffery. I’m not a big fan of inside tank coating anyway, as if the prep isn’t perfect the coating may not adhere to the inside properly and can cause just as many problems as rust does.
914_7T3
Thanks to all who have responded. Tank and headlight assemblies went off for Powder Coating earlier today.

For anyone that is looking in the Valley contact Marcille at Powder Craft. Their work is excellent.

http://www.powdercraftlosangeles.com/

914_7T3
After an exhaustive search, I was able to find the correct NOS VW Camshaft for my build. It is actually the part that supersedes part #021109015M. Its listed as a 1.7, but we know that all 1.7-2.0 D-Jet Cams were the same so all good. Below is the listing and called the supplier to verify and its being shipped out today.

Item#: 021109015K Camshaft, w/ -3 Riveted on Gear p/n 021109111B, 1700 Solid Lifter Bus Typ. II IV 72-74, 914 Porsche 70-76

NOS Genuine German Box, still coated in Cosmoline

Once it gets here, the motor will start to go back together next week. Almost ready to turn the corner on this project!

Decided to also provide a link to the back story if anyone is interested in the details.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2550062
914_7T3
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Aug 26 2017, 02:39 PM) *

QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Aug 25 2017, 03:33 PM) *

Sooooooooo, my body shop bailed on me on Tuesday and I headed out earlier today to a restoration shop about 35 miles away to see if they could take on the project.

Their work is truly next level, so just trying to figure out when they can slot me into production (like 6-12 month wait).

After telling them how awesome and reliable my car is I go to leave and my starter sh-t the bed. With a courtesy push and a pop of the clutch, off I go to my mechanic who informs me that he can't pull the motor for another couple of weeks nor deal with my starter as he is backed up.

mad.gif

So now the car is DOA in my garage and all I need now is a set of jack stands!

headbang.gif

PLEASE SOMEBODY: OFFICIALLY WELCOME ME TO 914 WORLD!

I finally get how this works now!

Today, she fired up right away. Seems like a hot start problem with no crank. confused24.gif

Today's delivery along with the new ignition harness and 12V coil should take care of that issue!

914_7T3
Transmission Case # HA 04 05 3 Cleaned Up and Ready For Rebuild.

FERG.gif

ValcoOscar
Too nice....

unsure.gif

Rotisserie time yet?????

914_7T3
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Nov 22 2017, 02:28 PM) *

Too nice....

unsure.gif

Rotisserie time yet?????

C'mon Oscar its a Car, not a Chicken!

lol-2.gif

Sticking with the plan for an Excellent driver. I have no intention of making the car better than when it left the factory.

Did have the opportunity to tour John Esposito's new shop up in the Valley this past Saturday as part of a PCA organized tour. If you want a car that's better than new with respect to paint and finish, look no further. Would definitely consider depleting the kid's college funds if I were to jump into that World. av-943.gif

914_7T3
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Nov 20 2017, 09:22 AM) *

After an exhaustive search, I was able to find the correct NOS VW Camshaft for my build. It is actually the part that supersedes part #021109015M. Its listed as a 1.7, but we know that all 1.7-2.0 D-Jet Cams were the same so all good. Below is the listing and called the supplier to verify and its being shipped out today.

Item#: 021109015K Camshaft, w/ -3 Riveted on Gear p/n 021109111B, 1700 Solid Lifter Bus Typ. II IV 72-74, 914 Porsche 70-76

NOS Genuine German Box, still coated in Cosmoline

Once it gets here, the motor will start to go back together next week. Almost ready to turn the corner on this project!

Decided to also provide a link to the back story if anyone is interested in the details.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2550062

NOS Cam arrived today and the box appears to be older than dirt. Part # ends in the letter K instead of J as this part is so old, it supersedes it. Shout out to Bug City in Berlin, CT for hooking me up!

Camshaft is still coated in Cosmoline to protect it, just have to get it all off of there! The cam is smooth above the center bearing journal and has the 1/2 ring below it just like the original.

It is a -3 at the teeth and matching Cam Gear number 021 109 111B just like the original.

Just as difficult was tracking down a set of NOS OEM Cam Followers (lifters), but I found those too.

Thanks to Scott at German Supply in Toronto for his box of 7 and Terry at Griffin Motor Werke in Berkeley for the lead to the remaining one at Capitol VW in San Jose.

Happy to put this chapter to bed!
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Nov 28 2017, 04:47 PM) *

What a nice X'mas present you got there....you must have been nice this year.

wreath.gif

Oscar
914_7T3
Four Spray Outs of L96M (Marathon Blue) from several different paint manufacturers.
Amazing how far off some of them are from the actual color. They had to shoot it with a camera to get the right match. Can anyone guess which is closest to the original?

Click to view attachment
KELTY360
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Nov 28 2017, 10:11 PM) *

Four Spray Outs of L96M (Marathon Blue) from several different paint manufacturers.
Amazing how far off some of them are from the actual color. They had to shoot it with a camera to get the right match. Can anyone guess which is closest to the original?

Click to view attachment

Lower left.
914_7T3
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Nov 28 2017, 09:19 PM) *

QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Nov 28 2017, 10:11 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Lower left.

We have a winner!

smilie_pokal.gif
KELTY360
Marathon Blue is a strange color to look at in the context of individual pieces. Here's what my bumpers looked like after paint, in the booth:

Click to view attachment

This is what it looked like when it was all back together:

Click to view attachment

You're going to love the color!
Cairo94507
That looks terrific. smilie_pokal.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Nov 29 2017, 08:44 AM) *

Marathon Blue is a strange color to look at in the context of individual pieces. Here's what my bumpers looked like after paint, in the booth:

Click to view attachment

This is what it looked like when it was all back together:

Click to view attachment

You're going to love the color!

So true and when you look at those bumpers in fluorescent light, they look gray. Luckily, we were able to match the paint to specific areas in the frunk that were original paint.

Click to view attachment

The below pic has always been my vision for this car wub.gif

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 29 2017, 09:28 AM) *

That looks terrific. smilie_pokal.gif

Been following your threads and am amazed at the level of work that is required on your car. At least it will be worth it on a real 6.

Luckily, there were no surprises with my car once it got torn down. Only a set of donor doors were used and everything else is original. Had to repair some bad body work on the passenger side quarter panel and other than perhaps a few dings, the car was not accidented. The initial assessment at time of PPI for minor hell hole and front trunk pan repair was also correct.

Hope your progress continues and cant wait to see it out there soon.

burton73
When you where out at my place getting the gas tank I told you back in 1972 I had a brand new 1972 Super Beatle in Marathon blue I bought new for $2.700.

What ever paint you get for your car, get much more than you think you will need and if they mix it out in quarts, mix them all together and then pour them back in the quarts so the colors are all the same. If you need to do a fender or a repair you will have the right color. Ask the paint shop what pressure they are shooting at and mark it on the cans.

Great color for 2-stage paint.

Bob B
Click to view attachment

Picture is Not my car but a special edition Baja Bug with its special wheels that where silver gray from VW just like mine. It was my first brand new car.
VW dealer 5 houses from my house.
914_7T3
QUOTE(burton73 @ Nov 29 2017, 10:27 AM) *

When you where out at my place getting the gas tank I told you back in 1972 I had a brand new 1972 Super Beatle in Marathon blue I bought new for $2.700.

What ever paint you get for your car, get much more than you think you will need and if they mix it out in quarts, mix them all together and then pour them back in the quarts so the colors are all the same. If you need to do a fender or a repair you will have the right color. Ask the paint shop what pressure they are shooting at and mark it on the cans.

Great color for 2-stage paint.

Bob B

Great advice, I'll take it. Thanks.

beerchug.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(banananose914 @ Nov 12 2017, 10:31 PM) *

confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

Great advice, here are the assemblies,like new back from powder coating.

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.