Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Resto-Thread: '73 Marathon Blue 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Larmo63
If you have the money, do the whole motor to a 2056. Peace of mind. EMW did my /4 motor very quickly when I had it done for the yellow car.

Slippery slope, ask me how I know....
iankarr
QUOTE(arne @ Jul 16 2017, 09:38 PM) *

Whether to do just the top end or the whole enchilada at this point is a hard call. If it is in fact burning oil badly, at a minimum rings and valve guides need to be addressed. At that point, if oil pressure is good (indicating good bearing clearances) you could leave the bottom alone. Could still bump the compression and displacement while at it, but I'm not thinking that would be satisfying with the stock cam.

The performance aspect is what clouds the decision. If there was no desire to boost the output, top end only would be my choice. But trying to get more HP without splitting the case to change the cam doesn't seem viable.

agree.gif If you're just looking to get it tightened up and back on the road, The top end refresh is what I'd do. Did it myself and had no regrets.
914_7T3
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 16 2017, 06:43 PM) *

If you have the money, do the whole motor to a 2056. Peace of mind. EMW did my /4 motor very quickly when I had it done for the yellow car.

Slippery slope, ask me how I know....

I'll bite, how do you know?
914_7T3
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Jul 16 2017, 07:34 PM) *

QUOTE(arne @ Jul 16 2017, 09:38 PM) *

Whether to do just the top end or the whole enchilada at this point is a hard call. If it is in fact burning oil badly, at a minimum rings and valve guides need to be addressed. At that point, if oil pressure is good (indicating good bearing clearances) you could leave the bottom alone. Could still bump the compression and displacement while at it, but I'm not thinking that would be satisfying with the stock cam.

The performance aspect is what clouds the decision. If there was no desire to boost the output, top end only would be my choice. But trying to get more HP without splitting the case to change the cam doesn't seem viable.

agree.gif If you're just looking to get it tightened up and back on the road, The top end refresh is what I'd do. Did it myself and had no regrets.

This is what I'm leaning towards and I am more than fine with the present 1,971 displacement.
914_7T3
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 1 2017, 09:38 PM) *

Cool car, great color, but GET RID OF THOSE mirrors.

That's all.

Finally!!! piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
I am now about three weeks out from engine rebuild and paint. My air-cooled mechanic has a stash of NOS German Parts that will be used, so that is beyond awesome. Should take several weeks and I will also use the 4 NOS Bosch Injectors that I recently picked up.

Click to view attachment

I am scurrying around this week trying to pick up the last of the donor parts required, just need some rear trunk hinges (thinking about the J West kit) if anyone can chime in with their experiences with that product.

Also need to do a 914 Rubber order and source a front trunk pan and I think I will be good to go.

Click to view attachment

The paint shop is just finishing up two 911s including a '73 RS America. I can't wait to see those after final wet sand and polish next week.

As for paint, they use BASF R-M Onyx HD. Does anyone have experience with this product? In Cali, I believe they must shoot water based paint for environmental reasons.

Not sure why, but I am starting to freak out a little. w00t.gif

This has turned into a fairly in depth project with lots to do and learn. I am open to any advice, guidance and recommendations at this point.
Larmo63
You seem to be on the right track, just grab your ankles and know it will all work out in the end.
arne
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Aug 9 2017, 09:37 AM) *
Not sure why, but I am starting to freak out a little. w00t.gif

Totally normal, even after you've done it a few times. My 914 project is my fourth comprehensive refresh in the past 25 years or so, and I still feel it at times.

Just bear in mind that when shepherding a project of this complexity, there will always be things that don't go as you expect, some good, some less so. But if you have your ducks queued up as best as you can figure in advance (and it appears you do), it will turn out ok if you stick with it.
mepstein
You want the painter to use what they are comfortable using. Just like most things, it's 90% prep, 9% skill and 1% materials.

I hope you are keeping the stock mirrors on the car.
arne
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 10 2017, 08:12 AM) *

lol-2.gif av-943.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(arne @ Aug 10 2017, 08:34 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 10 2017, 08:12 AM) *

lol-2.gif av-943.gif

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..................................... idea.gif

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Click to view attachment

914_7T3
HERE IS THE MONEY SHOT! piratenanner.gif

Looks like this car's many years up in Oregon & Washington State have not adversely affected it. Solid underneath as anticipated.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Hey Arne, looks like you're ahead of me after all! av-943.gif
arne
No road salt in Oregon, makes a difference.
914_7T3
Got help from my friend and Neighbor, Carl in cutting out the front trunk pan from a '71 donor car.

It put up a good fight, but the saws and grinder prevailed.

welder.gif

sawzall-smiley.gif

914_7T3
Sooooooooo, my body shop bailed on me on Tuesday and I headed out earlier today to a restoration shop about 35 miles away to see if they could take on the project.

Their work is truly next level, so just trying to figure out when they can slot me into production (like 6-12 month wait).

After telling them how awesome and reliable my car is I go to leave and my starter sh-t the bed. With a courtesy push and a pop of the clutch, off I go to my mechanic who informs me that he can't pull the motor for another couple of weeks nor deal with my starter as he is backed up.

mad.gif

So now the car is DOA in my garage and all I need now is a set of jack stands!

headbang.gif

PLEASE SOMEBODY: OFFICIALLY WELCOME ME TO 914 WORLD!

I finally get how this works now!
kahluver
Awesome and Congrats! Your car and my car could be brothers!

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
QUOTE(kahluver @ Aug 25 2017, 03:55 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Yes sir, if I had those spiffy 5 lug Fuchs on mine.

Did you recently pick up that car as it looks like one that was on Craigslist Orange County a few months back.
kahluver
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Aug 25 2017, 04:06 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Did you recently pick up that car as it looks like one that was on Craigslist Orange County a few months back.

No, I've had the car for a while now. That was my ad as I was thinking of selling the car due to having two other Porsche projects. It's a really nice car so I changed my mind about selling it.
914_7T3
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Aug 25 2017, 03:33 PM) *

Sooooooooo, my body shop bailed on me on Tuesday and I headed out earlier today to a restoration shop about 35 miles away to see if they could take on the project.

Their work is truly next level, so just trying to figure out when they can slot me into production (like 6-12 month wait).

After telling them how awesome and reliable my car is I go to leave and my starter sh-t the bed. With a courtesy push and a pop of the clutch, off I go to my mechanic who informs me that he can't pull the motor for another couple of weeks nor deal with my starter as he is backed up.

mad.gif

So now the car is DOA in my garage and all I need now is a set of jack stands!

headbang.gif

PLEASE SOMEBODY: OFFICIALLY WELCOME ME TO 914 WORLD!

I finally get how this works now!

Today, she fired up right away. Seems like a hot start problem with no crank. confused24.gif
914_7T3
Came across these pics on the Original Customs website of the work that was done on my car by the PO back in 2012. I guess that's why the brakes & suspension did not require any attention.

http://www.originalcustoms.com/invoice/images.php?p=145
ndfrigi

Click to view attachment

Nice! looking forward for my 74 Marathon Blue Mettalic L96M to look like your car Kahluver and 914 7T3. Below is my new project and my 1st garage baby 75 1.8 FI I just sold last June.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
914_7T3
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 13 2017, 08:54 PM) *

Nice! looking forward for my 74 Marathon Blue Mettalic L96M to look like your car Kahluver and 914 7T3. Below is my new project and my 1st garage baby 75 1.8 FI I just sold last June.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

That looks like a solid roller for a project. The two other SoCal Marathon Blues that I know of belong to ValcoOscar and 914-300Hemi. Both Solid Porsche People!

beerchug.gif
ndfrigi
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Sep 13 2017, 09:12 PM) *

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 13 2017, 08:54 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

That looks like a solid roller for a project. The two other SoCal Marathon Blues that I know of belong to ValcoOscar and 914-300Hemi. Both Solid Porsche People!

beerchug.gif

wow all from SoCal. I will see sir Oscar's car this weekend.
porschetub
Nice tidy car really like the colour,considering I only like silver cars av-943.gif av-943.gif .
Can't wait to see it back from the painters,BTW thanks for the drivers door box cover WAY better than mine beerchug.gif .
914_7T3
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 14 2017, 07:55 PM) *

Nice tidy car really like the colour,considering I only like silver cars av-943.gif av-943.gif .
Can't wait to see it back from the painters,BTW thanks for the drivers door box cover WAY better than mine beerchug.gif .

Seeing that I am a landed immigrant from the Dominion of Canada, I am glad that you can spell "colour" correctly. lol-2.gif

I will update this thread regularly as things get underway the week of the 24th. Finding the right paint shop has turned into a real struggle.

Great to hear that the door box cover is doing the job for you as those are getting hard to find in decent shape.

beerchug.gif
914time
Great car and great updates!

I've enjoyed following your progress.

Hang in there-
amfab
914 7T3, are you in the west valley? i saw a car that looked like yours about a month ago

-Andrew
914_7T3
QUOTE(amfab @ Sep 25 2017, 10:11 AM) *

914 7T3, are you in the west valley? i saw a car that looked like yours about a month ago

-Andrew

Sherman Oaks so East Valley, but I may have been en route to Topanga or Mulholland to drive the twisties if it was a weekend.
914_7T3
Finally have my resto plan sorted and has shifted from good driver quality to excellent driver. I will be looking at a #2 car upon completion

Timeline 4 months.

Motor Drop on 10/02/17

Full rebuild with 96mm Pistons, sticking with original cam & should see a 10% or 9 HP boost up to 100 HP

Engine Tin, Fan cover & misc parts off to powder coat

Remove, clean & refinish fuel tank

steam clean & verify oil cooler and all engine parts as required

new ignition harness, starter & ignition coil

install NOS injectors & seals

Interior Removal 10/03-10/09

Off To Paint Shop 10/10

all rust to be repaired and weld as needed

interior pans/compartment, both trunks & Engine Bay repair & paint as required

down to bare metal and full prep

2 Stage paint to original L96M

New Sekurit windshield & OE trim kit, carpet kit, dash & a sh-t ton of parts from 914 rubber.

This Thread will be updated with pics regularly as things progress. Wish me luck!

smash.gif type.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
arne
Your fun is about to begin, Jeffrey!
914_7T3
Got so excited that I started removing some easy interior pieces/parts for about 1 1/2 hours this evening:

Passenger seat, threshold sills, speaker pods & visors. Bagged & tagged, seems pretty straight forward so far.

914_7T3
Got some new shiny parts in the mail today including the new ignition harness from Jeff Bowlsby. This is sweet and can't wait to get the old POS one out of there

Click to view attachment

914 Registry Engine lid grille badge for once the car is complete.

Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
Good you drove the car to Temecular Jeffrey before this project. I guess next Temecula Fun Day your car could be converted to 6 already!
914_7T3
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 27 2017, 03:18 PM) *

Good you drove the car to Temecular Jeffrey before this project. I guess next Temecula Fun Day your car could be converted to 6 already!

No 914-6 for this car. As an original '73 2.0 survivor, it will stay stock.

ndfrigi
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Sep 27 2017, 03:49 PM) *

Nice! keep it original and maybe just buy the boxster or build another 914-6.
amfab
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Sep 25 2017, 10:41 AM) *

QUOTE(amfab @ Sep 25 2017, 10:11 AM) *

-Andrew

Sherman Oaks so East Valley, but I may have been en route to Topanga or Mulholland to drive the twisties if it was a weekend.

Ah makes sense, Im off Mulholland in Calabasas, although the 914 is up in the air in pieces
914_7T3
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 27 2017, 04:10 PM) *

In for a PPI right now. Hope all goes well.

914_7T3
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Sep 28 2017, 02:13 PM) *

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 27 2017, 04:10 PM) *

In for a PPI right now. Hope all goes well.

A lot going on this weekend. Picked up a sweet '02 986 and it passed the PPI as being mechanically sound. Two front tires, an alignment and some cosmetics and this car is beyond ready to go.

PPI done by Hergesheimer Motorsports in Lake Forest, CA. Lots of great cars there including a '74 Teener that is getting a 6 Conversion. I highly recommend this shop to anyone looking in OC.
914_7T3
Today the awesome audio set-up was torn out. Car was brought in for engine drop and it was tough knowing that the car won't be driven again for at minimum 4 months.

In case anyone is wondering, this is what a 50 year old air cooled shop in the Valley looks like. A real blast from the past with lots of NOS parts.

Today we discovered NOS German CV joints and even a set of Boge shocks. The box says VW, but if they fit, they will replace my original Boges up front.

Things will move quickly this week to get the car ready for transport to the paint shop on Saturday.

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
Engine, tranny, exhaust and gas tank removed.

Click to view attachment

The Moment of Truth when the pieces/parts of your car look like all of the other POS stuff on Craigslist. barf.gif

Click to view attachment

Transport Home to Remove Interior!

Click to view attachment
drem914
PPI done by Hergesheimer Motorsports in Lake Forest, CA. Lots of great cars there including a '74 Teener that is getting a 6 Conversion. I highly recommend this shop to anyone looking in OC.

Was the 914 a green one? If so, it's the owner's son's car.
They are a great shop. Right around the corner from my office.
914_7T3
Interior stripped, off to paint! Thanks to Sir Oscar!

914_7T3
Arrived at Shop, things get underway first thing Monday with paint to be stripped and yes all metal work is done in-house.

Yellow BMW 1600 and freshly painted Jag XKE under the cover.

Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
Jeffrey-

It was fun hanging out Saturday. I know we were short of time but we still got it done and delivered.

You need to decide if want to cad plate your old hardware or reuse as is. Up to you.

See ya,

Oscar
914_7T3
Motor is up on the stand and getting torn down.

Click to view attachment

Took the transmission, engine tin, fan shroud, motor support, shift rod, muffler, heat exchangers and related parts for degreasing

Once completed, off for blasting and powder coating. Muffler needs to be re coated with a high heat paint, but not sure what to do with the transmission case as far as finishing.

Click to view attachment

Car should be down to the metal by end of the week so hopefully will have pics when I get to Riverside on Saturday.
914_7T3
Also more parts delivered including a full set of window gutters including:

NOS & NLA Part # 914 531 824 11

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
Also saw these numbers painted white on the motor support and engine tin which must be something that the factory did back in the day...would love to know if anyone knows the significance.

914_7T3
Less Than Two Weeks Into It.....Now Ready For Body Work!

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.