Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Resto-Thread: '73 Marathon Blue 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
914_7T3
Almost forgot, the oil pressure light was intermittient for the drive home. Pulled over immediately to make sure oil level was good, temp was good and no leaks. Phoned a friend and
searched a bunch of threads and figured it was the oil pressure sender or the green/red wire to the sender was somehow grounding.

Sure enough the wire was disconnected so got my hand in there, reconnected it and all was good again. Luckily a simple fix.

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
Also the throttle is starting to stick a little bit and back off slowly. Need to verify accelerator cable tightness or maybe its wrapped too closely to the clutch cable from what I have been reading in other threads. Return spring and throttle body seem to be OK. More on this later.
FlacaProductions
Nice save on the oil pressure wire! and it's so close that I can smell it!
Really exceptional work...and patience. Wow.
914_7T3
Had the connectors on the driver's side, 4-pole door switch re-crimped which solved my dome light & fasten belt buzzer issue. Passenger side switch is bad, but have a NOS set on the way.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Battery hold down was painted same color as the tray so went back to black.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Next project after getting the radio install done was to deal with the lower dash. The one original to the car had one nasty crack. Went through the other two that were acquired and chose the best one and the best chrome strip. Needed to remove the oxidization and clean the trim before reinstalling. Nothing a Scotch Pad, Evapo Rust and Oxcylic Acid couldn't fix. Then had it redyed for freshening.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Picked up my double wrapped wheel today. LOVE the feel, had the second layer wrapped on top of the original leather so its not too soft and of course stays "original" underneath. Shout out to @ValcoOscar for the prep and paint.

Click to view attachment

Just need the Targa trim installed, emission & paint code decals affixed and then a hard core detailing.

914_7T3
Went for a solo drive Sunday, roof off, first real pleasure drive and can't wait to do it again now that SoCal driving weather is here! driving.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
kroelofsen
Super nice car, great color! Enjoy it...
ndfrigi
Yehey! finally you installed a knee dash pad. Last time we test drove your car, I bang my left lower knee to the corner of the lower dash frame and had the bruise for atleast 2 weeks.

Car looks very beautiful with top off with mountain road scenery!
FlacaProductions
Fantastic - love that you're gettin it on the road!!
DRPHIL914
how do you like the wheel done like that? i have a nice original wheel but leather is marked from someone wrapping it before and its pretty hard. i would like a wheel thats a bit softer, easier to grab/grip so i am curious who you had wrap it for you and what you used leather wise over the other leather, also was $$ reasonable?

Phil

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Oct 13 2020, 11:58 PM) *

Had the connectors on the driver's side, 4-pole door switch re-crimped which solved my dome light & fasten belt buzzer issue. Passenger side switch is bad, but have a NOS set on the way.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Battery hold down was painted same color as the tray so went back to black.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Next project after getting the radio install done was to deal with the lower dash. The one original to the car had one nasty crack. Went through the other two that were acquired and chose the best one and the best chrome strip. Needed to remove the oxidization and clean the trim before reinstalling. Nothing a Scotch Pad, Evapo Rust and Oxcylic Acid couldn't fix. Then had it redyed for freshening.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Picked up my double wrapped wheel today. LOVE the feel, had the second layer wrapped on top of the original leather so its not too soft and of course stays "original" underneath. Shout out to @ValcoOscar for the prep and paint.

Click to view attachment

Just need the Targa trim installed, emission & paint code decals affixed and then a hard core detailing.

DRPHIL914
oh and i left off my original commend i wanted to make, that interior looks super!!!
Superhawk996
I'm getting rather jealous. Your car looks beautiful and is driving.gif

914_7T3
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 14 2020, 08:19 AM) *

how do you like the wheel done like that? i have a nice original wheel but leather is marked from someone wrapping it before and its pretty hard. i would like a wheel thats a bit softer, easier to grab/grip so i am curious who you had wrap it for you and what you used leather wise over the other leather, also was $$ reasonable?

Phil

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Oct 13 2020, 11:58 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Phil,

You can expect to Pay $350-$400 to have a wheel rewrapped. I know that many use Dallas Steering Wheel, but I use a local interior shop by me called Morro Auto Interiors and he sources German leather. As with most, I prefer the wider grip, but was not looking for anything soft.

You could always have the first layer removed and use foam underneath for a softer feel.
914_7T3
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 14 2020, 08:39 AM) *

I'm getting rather jealous. Your car looks beautiful and is driving.gif

Thanks, as you know its baby steps so just keep chipping away at it. This is the culmination of 3 years worth of "Uh Ohs" and "I don't knows", but finally got there with the help of this forum and its members!
914_7T3
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Oct 14 2020, 07:53 AM) *

Fantastic - love that you're gettin it on the road!!

Finally driving.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Oct 14 2020, 12:55 AM) *

Yehey! finally you installed a knee dash pad. Last time we test drove your car, I bang my left lower knee to the corner of the lower dash frame and had the bruise for atleast 2 weeks.

Thanks Noel. FWIW, I didn't know that you bruise easily laugh.gif
ndfrigi
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Oct 14 2020, 09:05 AM) *

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Oct 14 2020, 12:55 AM) *

Thanks Noel. FWIW, I didn't know that you bruise easily laugh.gif

Hahaha, yup I just ignored the pain after I bumped to the corner of ur lower dash. Just want to make sure you will still allow me to drive ur car. hehehe
That is why I also mentioned that something wrong engaging the 1st gear (well probably it is my left leg that can’t push the clutch pedal properly).

Enjoy ur car before the winter comes!
mbseto
Your car turned out beautiful, nice to see you enjoying it now!

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Sep 13 2020, 05:52 PM) *

...Pulled over immediately...searched a bunch of threads...

Hadn't thought about this, but I guess the toolkit needs to include a laptop!!
914_7T3
QUOTE(mbseto @ Oct 14 2020, 02:03 PM) *

Your car turned out beautiful, nice to see you enjoying it now!

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Sep 13 2020, 05:52 PM) *

...Pulled over immediately...searched a bunch of threads...

Hadn't thought about this, but I guess the toolkit needs to include a laptop!!

Thanks, iPhone 8+ actually. It’s like a multi-tool. laugh.gif
914_teener
Hey Jeff....car looks beautiful.

I've never seen it in person.

Can I? PCA meeting this weekend in Pasadena. Can you bring it?

Rob
sb914
Turned out great Jeff.
porsche914rick
smash.gif
euro911

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/r7chGllVEks
Montreal914
Congratulations! smilie_pokal.gif
Beautiful driving car. driving.gif
Thank you for sharing the local steering shop.
914_7T3
QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 14 2020, 03:00 PM) *

Rob

@914_teener I just might, PM me!

What about the missing Targa trim?
914_7T3
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 14 2020, 07:28 PM) *

@euro911 After all it’s more important to loooook goooood than to feel good laugh.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(sb914 @ Oct 14 2020, 05:17 PM) *

Turned out great Jeff.

@sb914 Too bad we couldn’t get together b4 you relocated. Hope you are enjoying the new place up there beer3.gif
914_7T3
RS Wheel was installed today with the help of @JBCottrell over at TRE Motorsports as I dont have a 27mm Socket. The contacts on the cancel ring are on their last legs so @914Sixer is going to hook me up with another one and we'll do it all again at some point in the future.

Also used the NOS batwing I bought from @Mike Fitton awhile ago. Lools & feels fantastic! rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Saw @DANNYMAC 's chrome yellow 914 over there so that was pretty cool.

Click to view attachment
FlacaProductions
That wheel is the bomb. I have a double-wrapped Dallas Customs version and love it.
914_7T3
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Oct 15 2020, 03:53 PM) *

That wheel is the bomb. I have a double-wrapped Dallas Customs version and love it.

agree.gif
euro911
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Oct 14 2020, 10:10 PM) *
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 14 2020, 07:28 PM) *
@euro911 After all it’s more important to loooook goooood than to feel good laugh.gif
Actually, at my age, I ain't gonna look any better, so I'll have to opt for the 'feeling good' laugh.gif
DANNYMAC
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Oct 15 2020, 05:41 PM) *

RS Wheel was installed today with the help of @JBCottrell over at TRE Motorsports as I dont have a 27mm Socket. The contacts on the cancel ring are on their last legs so @914Sixer is going to hook me up with another one and we'll do it all again at some point in the future.

Also used the NOS batwing I bought from @Mike Fitton awhile ago. Lools & feels fantastic! rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Just picked her up from TRE (new clutch) Saw 914_7T3 's Marathon Blue "I love that color" ! and the steering wheel... I can't do that, mine is "all" original, however, the "71" is up for that wheel, where did you get that ?
DANNYMAC
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Oct 13 2020, 11:09 PM) *

Went for a solo drive Sunday, roof off, first real pleasure drive and can't wait to do it again now that SoCal driving weather is here! driving.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Love that Color !
DANNYMAC
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Oct 15 2020, 12:09 AM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 14 2020, 03:00 PM) *

Rob

@914_teener I just might, PM me!

What about the missing Targa trim?

@ 914_7T3 and 914_teener how did you know about the PCA meeting in Pasadena ? I was just logged in and NO meetings, events listed ???
914_7T3
@DannyMac @914_teener turns out I’m going to drive in Malibu with a friend tomorrow. You’re welcome to join, just looking to avoid crowds with Covid on the rise.
DANNYMAC
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Oct 16 2020, 06:29 PM) *

@DannyMac @914_teener turns out I’m going to drive in Malibu with a friend tomorrow. You’re welcome to join, just looking to avoid crowds with Covid on the rise.

@914_7T3 didn't see this until this morning ! Hope you had a great drive, I keep looking at your car, I am in love with that color...
DANNYMAC

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Original Sales Receipt says "Saturn Yellow" ???
DANNYMAC
QUOTE(DANNYMAC @ Oct 19 2020, 12:41 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I LOVE that wheel, even if mine is original I think I am going to have to get one. I'll just keep the original
DANNYMAC
QUOTE(DANNYMAC @ Oct 19 2020, 12:41 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

But... just looked at the Porsche Production Specifications for my car, lists "Saturn (Chrome) Yellow/26"
914_7T3
QUOTE(DANNYMAC @ Oct 19 2020, 10:41 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

@DANNYMAC Thanks for the love. This is my original paint Saturn Yellow Car, but it does not look as bright as yours.

Click to view attachment

As for the steering wheel it is all original, however it just has an extra layer of leather wrapped over 'the original" leather. You could easily pick up a 2nd wheel to cover and have it done a 1/2 block from TRE at Morro Auto Interiors.

beerchug.gif

arne
Pretty amazing work, Jeffery. MUCH superior to what I did. Can't find a hat-tipping smilie, these will have to do. clap56.gif thumb3d.gif

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Oct 19 2020, 04:46 PM) *
This is my original paint Saturn Yellow Car, but it does not look as bright as yours.

Saturn and Chrome are the same color. Name varied from year to year, and also depending on the market area.

In my experience, the original Saturn does tend to darken and mellow bit over the decades, which is probably why Jeffery's Bug doesn't seem as bright.

My 914 was pretty bright when done as well.

IPB Image
914_7T3
QUOTE(arne @ Oct 19 2020, 05:24 PM) *

Pretty amazing work, Jeffery. MUCH superior to what I did. Can't find a hat-tipping smilie, these will have to do. clap56.gif thumb3d.gif

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Oct 19 2020, 04:46 PM) *
This is my original paint Saturn Yellow Car, but it does not look as bright as yours.

Saturn and Chrome are the same color. Name varied from year to year, and also depending on the market area.

In my experience, the original Saturn does tend to darken and mellow bit over the decades, which is probably why Jeffery's Bug doesn't seem as bright.

My 914 was pretty bright when done as well.

IPB Image

Thanks for clarifying and appreciate the props. There was a long period of time where I never thought the car would get to this point especially not really grasping what it takes to get there. I've learned alot and be happy to share it with others, because I will never undertake a restoration again.........unless............... av-943.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(DANNYMAC @ Oct 19 2020, 10:29 AM) *

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Oct 16 2020, 06:29 PM) *

@914_7T3 didn't see this until this morning ! Hope you had a great drive, I keep looking at your car, I am in love with that color...

Thanks, drove with my son and @robarabian (mid-engine mafia). It was epic down Tuna Canyon driving.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
burton73
Jeffery,
I must have told you this but your car is totally outstanding. Way to go. You got it done.

Now use it in good health.

Best Bob

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Gint
Nice job with a beautiful end result. Thanks for the window regulator adjustment tip.
914_7T3
Three things that I learned from the last few items on punch list in no particular order:

1-Settting the venting clearance on the calipers is a thing!

Not sure how, but this got overlooked during the reassembly. After several brake bleeds, I continued to progressively lose pedal firmness. Assumed it was a defective MC and got that swapped out, but made no difference. Turns out the restored calipers had no inner adjustment screws. Thanks to @Eric_Shea for working through this with me and getting them overnighted.

Click to view attachment

2-Installing the RMS properly is a thing!

Had a small seep of Black Gold (20 W50 to be exact) coming out of the rear of the case. After the 350 mile round trip to Julian, had three drops hanging on underneath the car and some travel along the trans. At this point, it was necesary to drop the trans and put in a new RMS and now she is dry as a bone.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

3-The Targa Trim gods hate me! Yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus and Targa Trim Gods too. Was unsuccessful in restoring not one but two horizontal targa trims. One was anodized black by mistake and the other came out looking worse after clear anodize. Sourced a really clean one for number three, but arrived bent in several places. Once I get that straightened out (literally), all of the targa trim can be installed.

Click to view attachment

914_7T3
Had a great drive today along the coast and now have 1,500 miles on the clock. Was very surprised by all of the positive reactions to the car. It was weird to see a guy in a McLaren do a touble take on the 914 on PCH and another guy in a brand new M5 lower his window to snap some pics. The 911 crowd was showing some love out there too!

driving.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Congratulations on being able to enjoy your beautiful car. beerchug.gif
914Sixer
Sweet, glad the oil leak and soft pedal got resolved.
bbrock
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Nov 15 2020, 11:07 PM) *
It was weird to see a guy in a McLaren do a touble take on the 914 on PCH and another guy in a brand new M5 lower his window to snap some pics.

Yes, that is weird. I always had faith some day the 914 would gain some of the appreciation it deserved, but turning heads of McLaren and M5 owners is wild indeed. Thanks for sharing your post resto fun. It motivates me to keep going! MDB2.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 16 2020, 12:59 PM) *

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Nov 15 2020, 11:07 PM) *
It was weird to see a guy in a McLaren do a touble take on the 914 on PCH and another guy in a brand new M5 lower his window to snap some pics.

Yes, that is weird. I always had faith some day the 914 would gain some of the appreciation it deserved, but turning heads of McLaren and M5 owners is wild indeed. Thanks for sharing your post resto fun. It motivates me to keep going! MDB2.gif

I was parked next to a Ferrari California during parents weekend at my kids school. A girl walked by and shouted out “nice car”. Both the Ferrari dad and I turned around for the compliment but she was looking at my ‘71.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.