Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 2.0L Rustoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Van B
Neighbor loaned you his busted tractor eh?

Neighbor: Hon, that engineer wants to borrow my tractor.

Wife: Your yellow one? I thought it was broken?

Neighbor: Did you hear the part where I said engineer?

Wife: Ohhhh.
jd74914

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8vHhgh6oM0
930cabman
QUOTE(Van B @ Aug 6 2023, 05:41 PM) *

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif

Maybe we shouldn't laugh, it may be the case
Superhawk996
QUOTE(930cabman @ Aug 7 2023, 11:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Van B @ Aug 6 2023, 05:41 PM) *

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif

Maybe we shouldn't laugh, it may be the case

Pretty much nailed it.

However, I’ve been borrowing it occasionally since 2008 so it’s not like they waited for me to use it and break it. I’m just fortunate to having had them be so willing to loan it to me for last 15 years. A little maintenance is a small price to pay.

More like it’s been used and abused hard for 40+ years and just needs TLC to keep going for the next 10 or more years.

But there is a little SUV in the garage that the sons took the whole I/P out in the process of fixing an heater core leak. Now the kids can’t remember how they took it apart. They are looking for some help with that one that I’ve been putting off. They did seem a little too excited to have us move onto the hill permanently. blink.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Aug 7 2023, 10:28 AM) *

That’s a favorite clip of mine.

Pretty much a summary of my childhood. When I was about 6 years old my parents gave me one of those old style store cash registers (1930s vintage) that was already broken. Man, did I have a field day taking that thing apart! smash.gif Happier than a bird with a French Fry.
jd74914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 7 2023, 01:45 PM) *

That’s a favorite clip of mine.

Pretty much a summary of my childhood. When I was about 6 years old my parents gave me one of those old style store cash registers (1930s vintage) that was already broken. Man, did I have a field day taking that thing apart! smash.gif Happier than a bird with a French Fry.

I figured so much! laugh.gif

I started engineering school a bit after that show aired and thought it hit a little close to home too. And now I see the same thing with my 3 year old...he spent hours the other day taking apart two dead bolts. Tough when his mom is an engineer too. blink.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Aug 8 2023, 10:30 AM) *

And now I see the same thing with my 3 year old...he spent hours the other day taking apart two dead bolts. Tough when his mom is an engineer too. blink.gif

Sweet - give him some 914 lock cylinders next. See if he can re-key all your locks to the same key assuming your car is like most with mixed key sets happy11.gif

@jd74914
jd74914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 8 2023, 04:09 PM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Aug 8 2023, 10:30 AM) *

And now I see the same thing with my 3 year old...he spent hours the other day taking apart two dead bolts. Tough when his mom is an engineer too. blink.gif

Sweet - give him some 914 lock cylinders next. See if he can re-key all your locks to the same key assuming your car is like most with mixed key sets happy11.gif

lol-2.gif That's a great idea. Probably keep him busy all weekend with a little file set.

Now his 20 month old brother is more into machinery...kid can barely talk and still corrects people when they mix up skid steers and compact track loaders or other machine pairs. So proud! Bugs the shit out of my in-laws getting corrected by a toddler all the time. happy11.gif
Superhawk996
Sort of in a funk today. The news yesterday of Brent’s passing is weighing on me. I hadn’t heard from him since September and feared the worst - only to have it confirmed.

I had barely been on this forum but for more than a few months and was struck by Brent’s thread. I really appreciated his fortitude taking on the restoration of a chassis that almost anyone else would have scrapped. More than anything I appreciated his can do attitude and knack for fixing parts rather than simply writing a check. Only a short time later Brent invited an internet whacko to visit him and see his project in person. His generosity with his time, experiences, and even a few parts never ceased to amaze.

Visiting Brent’s project 2019:

Click to view attachment

One of the last texts I had from him was that he was driving the 914 to some appointments. I’m so glad he was able to finish his project and was having a good time enjoying it.

When I was in the process of finally moving to Idaho in 2022, Brent convinced me to drive his car after some initial reluctance on my part. What an amazing experience to drive something that had been brought back from what had been a rusted hulk riddled with weasel urine! His generosity in sharing that driving experience is a memory I’ll always treasure.

Simply not enough people like Brent in this world.
Superhawk996
A few people know that Brent had wanted to build a bigger garage - don’t we all! He was a consultant of sorts to my garage build.

Brent had experience with the radiant floor heat install in his house and had created a really novel control strategy for his mod-con boiler. It was a real benefit to me to have been able to get his input before I did my radiant floor install.

Similarly Brent had some amazing wood working talent which was never really highlighted on this forum if only because of the subject matter here. Some of the cabinets he made from reclaimed lumber and architectural touches in his home were beautiful, amazing, and an inspiration to me.

As I continue to work on my current garage project, it will always be reminded of him and hopefully inspired to achieve the level of detail that Brent brought to all his projects!

Latest status of my garage build - looks like I’ll be working well into the winter.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Superhawk996
Roof trusses arrived 11/14 after much debate about whether they would be able to be built and delivered on site before snow would make it impossible to get them delivered.

Click to view attachment

piratenanner.gif

Snow arrived December 2nd.

confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Things about to get much tougher as weather cools. Hoping to get center section roof trusses up before Christmas - we’ll see. wacko.gif

Going to be a while longer before I can start working on the 914 in here av-943.gif
flyer86d
That’s a nice garage project! Be safe roofing in the winter. Reconstructing our house has cost me 18 months of not being able to work on my Porsche projects until this past week. The 68 911 is just about done except for minor details so I decided the winter project will be assembling the motor for the -6.

Charlie
mepstein
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jun 16 2023, 01:38 PM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jun 16 2023, 02:16 AM) *

Very cool!! That’s one thing I wish I had done when we did my garage.

Any drawings of what the structure is going to look like? I don’t see any sill anchor bolts, are you drilling those in later or going some other route?

Sill anchor bolts there - look down by the spray paint cans. Just don’t show up very well in the photo.

Structure will look something like this - haven’t entirely decided on exterior finishes.

2nd floor will be some storage and replacement for my finished basement / mancave I lost in the move
Click to view attachment

It’s going to look great. At first glance, I thought it was a house.
barefoot
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 6 2023, 12:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Van B @ Aug 6 2023, 12:56 PM) *

Of course you know I’m giving you a hard time for the fun of it.

But on a serious note, when I’ve done construction projects in the past, I would hire someone for a day when I needed some extra muscle. But looks like you’re past those critical phases of the build now!

I seriously thought it was a funny and valid comment beerchug.gif It did get me thinking which I really appreciate!

Most “muscle” is handled mechanically but won’t be an option for the second floor. Luckily the 2nd floor walls will just tip up (wall jacks) instead of having to be lifted 2 feet up onto the foundation.

Click to view attachment

However when I put up the first couple sections of wall, the neighbors tractor was broken (leaking radiator and leaking power steering). So I had to get a little more creative with ramps, block and tackle, and the Jeep winch.

Click to view attachment

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Reminds me of what we did (neighbors & I) when raising the steel post & girder for the new deck outer framing.. I rigged a pair of sailboat winches on the roof top to raise the structure to vertical while helpers steadied the base over concrete pads. Then positioned first floor joists to fix the position of outer farming.

Barefoot
76-914
How did I miss this thread Phil. I'm going to plead senility. Just skimmed through a few pages and decided to wait until I can spend some quality time with this before going any further. One quick question. What in the world is that plumbing conglomeration beneath the sink? lol-2.gif

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
@superhawk996 Wow, that is going to be such a cool garage! Nice architecture. beerchug.gif
930cabman
Wow, quite the project Phil. Keep us posted with the progress.

They are quite the trusses, be safe working for the next several months
Jett
Looks great!!
Superhawk996
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 10 2023, 11:07 AM) *
What in the world is that plumbing conglomeration beneath the sink? lol-2.gif

@76-914 laugh.gif

That fiasco is as the result of a house built in 56’ which had a cast iron sink drain pipe that ran directly into a clay tile pipe and was cemented into the clay pipe.

The cast iron pipe eventually began leaking.

The rest is the fiasco of trying to adapt a clay pipe to PVC and to accommodate the whacko offset of the sink drain vs clay pipe.

Not my finest hour. chair.gif

But it worked fine. lol-2.gif
Superhawk996
I met my goal of getting trusses up before Christmas. piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

We’ve had an unusually mild December with very little snow and days in the upper 30s. The ski resorts are hurting in a bad way for lack of snow. Was actually thinking I might get a roof over this before the weather changes in a major way.

Last Friday, even got one of the 12/12 pitches sheathed. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Then it all changed on Saturday. dry.gif I guess I’ll ski until the snow stops. piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mgarrison
Amazing looking garage build! pray.gif

I'm hoping of some day building a barn/shop/garage/house. Taking note of some cool ideas!
Dion
Phil, that garage will be perfect. You made great progress despite some setbacks with mother nature. Love the design. Keep going mate.
The 914 will be home soon. piratenanner.gif
Superhawk996
Yesterday was a milestone day, last bit of sheathing went on the roof. Due to ZIP system sheathing and flashing tape on seams it’s quasi dried in. Obviously not counting the wall sheathing that needs to get done. rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment

Winter weather really slowed progress due to rain, snow, sleet, frost that limited how many hours a day I could actually get up on the roof. But each progressive section that got sheathed meant less shoveling of snow off the floor and less water inside.

Thankfully spring is here and days are getting longer and it’s more enjoyable to be outside daily.

Need to get AZEK fascia boards up and the walls sheathed that protrude though the roof line then I can get a real roof installed. ZIP is rated for 180 days exposure so I’ve got plenty of time.

There are days that are overwhelming and progress is slow but considering that I’m building solo and that I didn’t start framing until mid June of ‘23, I don’t think I’m doing too bad.

Someday the 914 will be back on the to do list.
930cabman
Milestone days always are deserving of much praise. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Great progress through the winter months, keep working safe
bkrantz
Looks great. Getting a building weather-tight (or almost) is a big achievement.
eddie914
Priest Lake

North Idaho

Every July 4th!Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.