Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A 914-6GT Build Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
carr914
QUOTE(bcheney @ Aug 28 2010, 09:57 AM) *

Cool pics TC. Looks like Gary is starting to move long nicely. It's really is going to be a helluva GT. Hang in there and keep the faith...

Should be all done before you get back from Vegas lol-2.gif
Eric_Shea
Should be all done before you get back from Vegas

What year? biggrin.gif

T.C. Definately do the backpad stuff now.

The belt loops really turn out to be a buttload of work. Seems simple but, definately something you'll want to do now. Belts can be had at reasonable prices from the guy in Canada.

IPB Image

IPB Image

P.S. Little bird said something about your bottom line being in backward. smile.gif
carr914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 28 2010, 11:17 AM) *

Should be all done before you get back from Vegas

What year? biggrin.gif

T.C. Definately do the backpad stuff now.

The belt loops really turn out to be a buttload of work. Seems simple but, definately something you'll want to do now. Belts can be had at reasonable prices from the guy in Canada.

IPB Image

IPB Image

P.S. Little bird said something about your bottom line being in backward. smile.gif

Already got the belts out of Canada

Where did you get the belt loops (attachment)? - 2nd pic

And yeah Jeff pm'd me about the lower line, can't believe I didn't catch that
carr914
Something's Happening shades.gif
smg914
Click to view attachment
gothspeed
Fantastic biggrin.gif!!!!!!!!
Scott S
TC, Eric -
Where did you get the firewall seat belt brackets? I have made one from scratch so far, and it took forever to get the bar stock bent correctly. I am concerned that I will not be able to get all four of them to match as well as I would like.

Cant wait to see what has been happening TC.....
beerchug.gif
carr914
A couple of shots before it went into the Paint Booth

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
FourBlades

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

You have reached the critical point!

John
ChicagoPete
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Oct 27 2010, 04:57 PM) *

TC, Eric -
Where did you get the firewall seat belt brackets? I have made one from scratch so far, and it took forever to get the bar stock bent correctly. I am concerned that I will not be able to get all four of them to match as well as I would like.

Cant wait to see what has been happening TC.....
beerchug.gif

Scott,

Besides fabbing your own...I know that MittelMotor has them available, sometimes they show up on eBay, usually for sale by them.

Peter
ConeDodger
Just a note on the rear Minilites. I know you have elected to go with RSR finish and have moved beyond this but it bears noting that Weidman Wheels has made several sets of Minilite 'look' wheels using Superlite wheels which are cheap and available now. Harvey chops them and widens them. Last trip I made to see Harvey he had a set he had made for RUF... Nice period correct look. I will be going with 16X7 front and 16X8.5 wheels in RSR finish that Harvey made for me.
carr914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 22 2010, 08:33 PM) *

Just a note on the rear Minilites. I know you have elected to go with RSR finish and have moved beyond this but it bears noting that Weidman Wheels has made several sets of Minilite 'look' wheels using Superlite wheels which are cheap and available now. Harvey chops them and widens them. Last trip I made to see Harvey he had a set he had made for RUF... Nice period correct look. I will be going with 16X7 front and 16X8.5 wheels in RSR finish that Harvey made for me.

Actually , my "RSR" finished 8 & 9" are going on my conversion. For this car I have Superlites with 245/50/15s on the rear & 8" Fuchs with 225/50/15 for the front

T.C.
carr914
Some more pre-paint pics

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
carr914
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
carr914
And

Finally

Some

Signal Orange

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
AndyB
drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif
rfuerst911sc
Looking good !
MDG
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

That's gotta bring a sigh of relief!

sixnotfour
Orange you thankful @ Thanksgiving

Orange you glad you didnt beat em up

Orange you glad you didnt change your mind and go with Yellow

Orange you Happy its paint and not more rust

Orange you glad I live in Washington beer.gif

Looks Great beerchug.gif
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif
Ferg
Most Excellent!
silver74insocal
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 14 2009, 10:06 AM) *

Paging Eric Shea, Mr. Shea Please pick up the courtesy phone.

Eric I picked up these Aluminum 911S calipers this morning (rfuerst got a set too)
and I set you an eMail to determine re-build costs

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

thats "shakedown street" underneath the 2 nd and 4th pictures TC you ole dead head! laugh.gif i know cuz i had that sticker on the dash of a 72 pontiac..and the europe 72 one on my bong..high school daze wacko.gif
Krieger
Congratulations! Damn thats going to look really good. I'm starting to get a flared front fender fetish. Please post more pictures and enable me!
Lou W
Very Nice Job beerchug.gif
moparrob
Eric,

Those harness guides are a great idea. I understand the concerns you had in trying to replicate their design so I came up with my own idea.

You can buy these square U-bolts with a 3 5/8" inner dimension, perfect for my 3 inch belts.

IPB Image

I'm going to weld on some extra thick washers, chop off the excess and send them off to the powder coater. They come in various sizes - I just happened to choose 3/8 inch bolts. You can get 7/16 and 1/2 inch also. These particular ones are Stanley part #N244-996.

Thanks for the inspiration.
championgt1
Looking good! beerchug.gif
carr914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 28 2010, 08:26 PM) *

Orange you glad I live in Washington beer.gif

No if you were here, you could help me put it together biggrin.gif
bcheney
Now that's what I'm talkin about!
badm
T.C. Nice to see it with paint. Now comes the fun part! Badm. popcorn[1].gif
badm
Those harness guides are a great idea. I understand the concerns you had in trying to replicate their design so I came up with my own idea.
You can buy these square U-bolts with a 3 5/8" inner dimension, perfect for my 3 inch belts.
I'm going to weld on some extra thick washers, chop off the excess and send them off to the powder coater. They come in various sizes - I just happened to choose 3/8 inch bolts. You can get 7/16 and 1/2 inch also. These particular ones are Stanley part #N244-996.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Please don't!!!!!!!! There is a reason that soft steel and corse threads are not used on seat belts mounts, do you want to trust your life to something to made to hold a 2x4 down????? Badm. blink.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(badm @ Nov 29 2010, 07:41 AM) *

Please don't!!!!!!!! There is a reason that soft steel and corse threads are not used on seat belts mounts, do you want to trust your life to something to made to hold a 2x4 down?

The square U-bolts (3/8" thread, mfg unspecified) shown on the McMaster site list a working (not ultimate) strength of 1000 lbs. Each.

Anything like this will, I suspect, be ultimately limited to the strength of the firewall if that's what the're bolted to. (If they're part of the cage, you're probably using s different technique for the belt guides to start with.)

Back-of-the-envelope - 2000 lb strength, 100 lb torso, 10g impact.

I think 3/8" is too small for my comfort, but 7/16" might be OK. I'd want to see the specs.

The rear axle and leaf spring mounts on my half-ton truck are in the half-inch range and I promise you they see more than 2000 lb loads on a regular basis.

This is not a recommendation, just a suggestion to consider the loads.
Hontec
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Nov 29 2010, 02:04 PM) *

QUOTE(badm @ Nov 29 2010, 07:41 AM) *

Please don't!!!!!!!! There is a reason that soft steel and corse threads are not used on seat belts mounts, do you want to trust your life to something to made to hold a 2x4 down?

The square U-bolts (3/8" thread, mfg unspecified) shown on the McMaster site list a working (not ultimate) strength of 1000 lbs. Each.

Anything like this will, I suspect, be ultimately limited to the strength of the firewall if that's what the're bolted to. (If they're part of the cage, you're probably using s different technique for the belt guides to start with.)

Back-of-the-envelope - 2000 lb strength, 100 lb torso, 10g impact.

I think 3/8" is too small for my comfort, but 7/16" might be OK. I'd want to see the specs.

The rear axle and leaf spring mounts on my half-ton truck are in the half-inch range and I promise you they see more than 2000 lb loads on a regular basis.

This is not a recommendation, just a suggestion to consider the loads.

I agree, I've been building race/ rallye/ dakar cars for many years and I would personally never attach my harness to that firewall, but like I said, that is my humble opinion....... consider a simple 50 kmh impact and the forces involved......you will be scared how much force your bodymass upon impact will generate and what it will do to a flimsy firewall.....
These cars are not structural wonders to start with..........plus they are 35+ years old....
ArtechnikA
Properly, those loops are belt _guide_ loops - not primary attachment points. This allows the belts to be mounted much closer to (or to) the floor. Mounted to the firewall near the floor puts most if that load in shear, while the guide loops pick up only a fraction in tension.
badm
I was less commenting on the firewall, and more to the product he chose to use for his mount, if you install the proper type of mounts in the boxed portion of the firewall as done on the GT's it has quite a large amount of support. Be safe, thats all. Badm. unsure.gif unsure.gif
Root_Werks
Been a while since I checked this thread, man I sure love L20E on a 914!
moparrob
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Nov 29 2010, 08:10 AM) *

Properly, those loops are belt _guide_ loops - not primary attachment points. This allows the belts to be mounted much closer to (or to) the floor. Mounted to the firewall near the floor puts most if that load in shear, while the guide loops pick up only a fraction in tension.

agree.gif
Eric_Shea

What's that sposs ta mean weiner? mad.gif
sixnotfour
What's that sposs ta mean weiner?

uhuh yellows faster ?
TravisNeff
Sweet!!
carr914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 29 2010, 09:33 PM) *

Actually, when the painter sent me the pictures from his cell phone, he asked me to eMail him back to make sure I got them. I said yeah I got the picture, but's what's with the Orange, I told you Green laugh.gif . He called me back in a panic - I guess I shouldn't have done that to someone that had a Heart Attack 6 months ago.
Lou W
QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 30 2010, 05:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 29 2010, 09:33 PM) *

Actually, when the painter sent me the pictures from his cell phone, he asked me to eMail him back to make sure I got them. I said yeah I got the picture, but's what's with the Orange, I told you Green laugh.gif . He called me back in a panic - I guess I shouldn't have done that to someone that had a Heart Attack 6 months ago.

laugh.gif
campbellcj
QUOTE(badm @ Nov 29 2010, 08:12 AM) *

I was less commenting on the firewall, and more to the product he chose to use for his mount, if you install the proper type of mounts in the boxed portion of the firewall as done on the GT's it has quite a large amount of support. Be safe, thats all. Badm. unsure.gif unsure.gif

Also you MUST use proper backing-plates or large, hardened washers on the other side of the firewall. Check the specs from your harness manufacturer as well as the GCR's of any sanctioning bodies. This is not an area where you want to be experimenting at your own potential peril...
carr914
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
carr914
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
championgt1
smilie_pokal.gif
bcheney
I hope it keeps warming up so he can finish that puppy for ya! Looks great!!
Scott S
Hi TC -
I noticed the front trunk floor is uncut. Are you something different for the oil cooler?

Car looks fantastic! beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
drooley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.