Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A 914-6GT Build Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
carr914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 24 2011, 09:52 AM) *

At this point, its kinda pointless to ask because the car will have 30k invested in it by the time your done...but I will ask anyways.

What is the back story on this car and what did you pay for it (and all the parts etc...)

Rich

Not Real Sure, but....

I paid $8k, but got another Rust Free car & tons of parts. I sold the 2nd car & some parts, so I paid around $4k for the car

A lot of the Parts I had, then I bought another -6 (#1724) that came with most of the GT Parts. I sold #1724 for close to what I paid for the package and kept all the GT parts, so in a way they were Free. biggrin.gif

I did have to buy the Replacement Panels, mostly from Restoration Design when Bill owned it - (he even made me a custom pieces) & Stoddard. Along the way I bought some things from badm & Mikey - probably $3k Total

The Rustoration work & Paint cost me $9k some of it in trade ( a couple of 914 Tubs & 911 Parts)

The most money I have in anything is the 2.8 Twin-Plug

The Back Story on the car - It has very, very low miles (under 17,000), it was originally owned by the owner of Autowerks in Rockford, IL . Then was owned by a Doctor in Rockford, who had 2 914-6s. They must have been left some place where the Passenger side stayed wet as that whole side was gone.

The Dr put it up for sale in Panorama in 1981 with 14,000 Miles - It did not sell at that time, but was later Sold.

In Feb 2000 it was put on eBay with less than 16,000 Miles - the High Bid was $9,999.95, I'm not sure if it Sold on Ebay

In Sept 2002, Brad Mayeur put it and the Dr's 2nd 914-6 ( Totally rusted out - no useable body parts) up for sale in Panorama $11,700

A Real DoucheBag about 45 minutes north of me bought it and drove the car from 914Limited to Florida (I'm surprized the car didn't break in half). He dis-mantled the car, bought a Rust-free 71 -4. He was either going to VIN swap the -6 numbers to the -4 or cut up the -4 to weld the pieces to the -6, which he did not have the talent to do.

In Feb 08, the car was put up for Sale on the Club & Pelican. URY & some others had already seen it and regarded it as a lost cause. bcheney had the guy send him some pictures and alerted me to it. I was at the time restoring a 74 Carrera RS. I went up to see the car, saw it was in sad shape, but also in my mind saw the potential it had. I also knew it had to rescued from the guy that was selling it ( you should have seen some of the Mazda RX7 abortions sitting around his barn). By the way he said I ruined the car when I put the NOS M-471 GT Flares on it. finger.gif

I bought it, had it shipped directly to Strattons (yesterday was the 1st time it had ever been at my house !) & brought the 71 Tangerine to my house. The DB would never give the Title to the 71 and I sold it cheap) smg and I made 3 trips with his Jeep Cherokee & me in my car with small trailer and then one more trip with my friend John with his truck/trailer & my car/trailer.

I never thought it would take over 3 Years to get it back ( figured 6 months to a year). A lot has changed in the last 3 years, but I'm glad I have #673 and the direction it has taken.

T.C.
campbellcj
Congrats TC! It will be a very special car when all together. Can't wait to see the "after" pics.
FourBlades

I love the wheels, that was a great inspiration for the car.

This will be possibly the best 914-6 GT clone there is with all the NOS parts you
have used and the seriously built motor.

Looking forward to seeing it done. Of course, you will be running the megaphones,
right?

John

carr914
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Apr 24 2011, 02:20 PM) *

Of course, you will be running the megaphones,
right?

No Doubt ! head_hurts_kr.gif
carr914
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Apr 24 2011, 02:20 PM) *

This will be possibly the best 914-6 GT clone there is with all the NOS parts you
have used and the seriously built motor.

I'm not sure that Clone is the right word. Certainly it was not Originally a GT, but it is a Real Six (the next Serial # was a GT) and has the Correct Dealer M-471 GT Package, that was just installed much later than Porsche would have planned. There are no records for Dealer M-471 cars. The other Real GT parts just put it over the Top, Also has some parts from an IMSA car (not yours! biggrin.gif )

T.C.
r_towle
you do work at a dealer...so you could make a story that it was dealer installed....

Rich
trojanhorsepower
Seems like I read somewhere that any of the original 6's could have been made into a GT i.e. there was nothing special about them from Porsche. You seem to have put all the right stuff on there, so I don't see why that would not be a real GT, just not one made in the 70's. I am sure this line of thought will go no where, upset people for no good reason and resolve nothing, but what the heck. Maybe you could call it a late model GT? It would seem to me that a clone would be an original 4 converted no matter how many NOS parts were used.

Great build by the way and thanks for saving another one. It looks great!

My 2 cents

-Peter
PeeGreen 914
I thought to be a real GT only meant it had all the factory M471 parts on it. confused24.gif

I would think a clone would be a car that used after market parts.
PeeGreen 914
Do you have this thing back together yet confused24.gif Geez!
carr914
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Apr 24 2011, 08:51 PM) *

I thought to be a real GT only meant it had all the factory M471 parts on it. confused24.gif

I would think a clone would be a car that used after market parts.

Some people have drawn a line in the sand where they say that a Real GT has to be done by the Factory. However that would leave out a LOT of Period Raced 914-6s. The Original M-471 Dealer package did not include much besides the Flares, longer wheel studs, etc. The Dealer package was made in order to Homologate the GT into International Racing.

The same thing applies to 935s & 962s. Porsche could not keep up with Demand and authorized outside companies to make them. To me they are still are Real 935s & 962s
PeeGreen 914
So what is the big race tank option I have seen in one of our local GTs?
FourBlades

You are right, it is far better than a clone.

For all intents and purposes it is a real 914-6 GT when you think how nearly
all of the others got put together by Porsche dealers or by private owners who
bought the M471 kits.

In any case, it will certainly be one of the finest 914s of any kind out there when
you are done putting it together.

John
Gustl
please don't mix up the term "M471" with "sport kit"

M471 was an option like M285 (chrome bumpers) or M570 (center seat cusion)
you could order it with a new car from April 1971 on, so a M471 optioned car was factory built

what you guys seem to talk about is the "sport kit" (german term) - the factory wrote about 400 kits built to meet the homologation rules
some dealers and racing teams ordered these "sport kit" and built their own race cars; these "sport kits" could contain of various parts

in addition to these things there were "factory werks cars", built by the factory and used by the factory
next step the "factory cars", built by the factory and sold to customers that could afford them

from the MY'71 (very likely from April 71) on there was also the M491 option;
this was a factory built car with full race equipment (this was the succeeder of the "factory car")

@ T.C. - very nice car !!!
carr914
For those that want a Condensed version of this thread in Pictures, here is a link to Armando's site

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/other_porsche_...0431724_tcdavis
carr914
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Apr 24 2011, 09:10 PM) *

So what is the big race tank option I have seen in one of our local GTs?

That is the 100 liter Endurance tank, which was put in cars for long races.

While it would be nice to have, the repros are around $5k and that would be about a years worth of gas
ellisor3
That looks fantastic TC. I certainly can understand 6 months turning into 3 years. Hopefully we can take both of ours for a spin with Joe at some point. I keep telling myself that these cars only need two things: time and money, right??

beerchug.gif
Zimms
That looks great TC. Will you bring it to the Porsche Coral @ Sebring next year?
carr914
The Dashboard is in, I'll put the re-done gauges in later

Click to view attachment
carr914
Holy Spaghetti-O's

Click to view attachment
Keep at it,I see daylight by years end.
URY914
One proud dude...

Click to view attachment
URY914
The real deal....

Click to view attachment
URY914
Sweet trailer biggrin.gif (when all the lug nuts stay on it) sad.gif .....

Click to view attachment
URY914
My trailer has had 9 different 914s on it.....and 1 911. But this one was the nicest by far.

Click to view attachment
bcheney
Totally agree that this is the nicest 914/6...Our 89 911 Targa looked pretty damn cool on its trip to the Porshce Parade in Charlotte though smile.gif
sixnotfour
...Our 89 911 Targa looked pretty damn cool on its trip to the Porshce Parade

ya whatever "914world" assdrager ,
drop your motor and hit the road. beer.gif
Root_Werks
Wow T.C. that is looking simply amazing!
sgh
Paul, dumb question, but how do you know the balsa reinforced decklids are the real deal? Are there tell tale signs? How about the flares too? How do you tell the repops from Auto Atlanta and the factory items?
mepstein
QUOTE(sgh @ May 19 2011, 04:17 PM) *

Paul, dumb question, but how do you know the balsa reinforced decklids are the real deal? Are there tell tale signs? How about the flares too? How do you tell the repops from Auto Atlanta and the factory items?

With the metal flares, you can tell the difference before they're installed. Once they are under paint and bodywork, they look the same. - Except maybe to a very trained eye.
carr914
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 19 2011, 04:32 PM) *

QUOTE(sgh @ May 19 2011, 04:17 PM) *

With the metal flares, you can tell the difference before they're installed. Once they are under paint and bodywork, they look the same. - Except maybe to a very trained eye.

Metal Flares are easy to tell the difference - before & after Paint. The Repro are a heavier gauge metal ( which is not a bad thing). I have been fooled before by an installed set as the metal is so thin, it flexes like a F/G Flare

The Lids you can tell by the dis-coloration of the Resin (or Termites blink.gif )
gms
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 19 2011, 03:41 PM) *

The Lids you can tell by the dis-coloration of the Resin (or Termites blink.gif )

The rear lid is a repro GT for sure, lets see pix of the inside of the front
carr914
Both my Lids are repros, but early ones and made right
gms
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 23 2011, 08:17 AM) *

Both my Lids are repros, but early ones and made right

they do look nice biggrin.gif, probably would use these instead of OEM because OEMs are soooo fragile
carr914
Progress (but it's Hot as Hell) - the Wiring Harness is re-installled

Click to view attachment

and Rear Bumper

Click to view attachment

I'll have the front end off tomorrow to install my SwayBar/A-Arm set-up
rfuerst911sc
Looks great TC beerchug.gif . Keep up the good work.
TJB/914
Mr. TC,

Beautiful project, your workmanship is outstanding. pray.gif

I don't know you, but I want to grow up to be a 914-addict like you. first.gif

Tom
carr914
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ May 29 2011, 07:28 AM) *

Looks great TC beerchug.gif . Keep up the good work.

Rick, you'll wub.gif these, I know I do wub.gif

Click to view attachment
carr914
I've got a Good News/Bad News situation - When I brought my car back from the shop in Orlando & put it on the Lift, I found out he had not put the S/C Turbo front suspension ( Aluminum Carrier, Underbody SwayBar & special lower A-Arms) pieces on and instead put the original pieces ( with new Torsion Bars, Custom Bushings, etc) on. It took a couple of weeks for him the find the Turbo parts and I was going to re-do the suspension yesterday. However, the expensive brass bushings have to be pressed-on and I think I would tear them up trying to get them off. They were $$, I don't really want to buy another set, so I'm going to sell the Turbo stuff and find a good thru-body SwayBar to put in my car and keep the existing suspension as-is.

Click to view attachment
jim dorociak
That under body sway bar was not as useful as a thru the body sway bar anyway, so you really did not loose that much. I would change the carrier out to the aluminum one as it is significantly lighter than the metal carrier. When I used the Turbo arms on my car, I cut off the sway bar mount and welded on the U tab to go with a thru the body sway bar. Looks great, and when they are at the stage yours is everything you put back on has significance and is one step closer to completion. Jim
racerbvd
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 2 2011, 03:41 PM) *

One proud dude...

Click to view attachment

I need to grow my white goat back out and we can do a side by side with my Green GT Clone (a real clone, not based on a real "Six") when I get it back together.. beerchug.gif
Click to view attachment
carr914
Yeah, we could be Twin Brothers from a different Mother beerchug.gif

URY914
Twin dudes chasin' tail in clones. w00t.gif
carr914
Rubber Install F & R

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
carr914
Front Turbo Set-Up For Sale - $500 & Shipping

Click to view attachment
carr914
Emblem Time - Wish I could have used the Porsche VW 914-6 NOS Emblem ( It's in the Classifieds)

Click to view attachment
racerbvd
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 5 2011, 01:43 PM) *

Yeah, we could be Twin Brothers from a different Mother beerchug.gif

Yes sir....

Click to view attachment

Emblem Time - Wish I could have used the Porsche VW 914-6 NOS Emblem ( It's in the Classifieds)

Like this one Phil gave me for my birthday years ago...
carr914
Sorry, it's been a while

It's been too Hot and no A/C in garage to assemble parts

and I've been buying/selling a lot of Porsche/ BMW Cars Parts

Here is the V-Brace RollBar. I have the front Down-Bars & Roof CrossBar FS in case anybody bought McMarks Bar and wants exitision

Click to view attachment
JMKnight
Just looking at all that work makes me want to take a nap !! blink.gif
PeeGreen 914
That looks so purty drooley.gif wub.gif
AZ914
Looks great TC!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.