Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Build Thread: 914 Limousine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
jonferns
Wow guys, that looks great. I didn't think it would line up so simply. Great work, can't wait to see the next update. aktion035.gif
DBCooper
So let me get this straight, you guys are using two ancestors of the Boxster to build an ancestor of the Panamera? Which is actually not an ancestor so much as a missing link?

EdwardBlume
Nice work! and I thought Disneyland was where dreams came true....
welder.gif
dw914er
god this is soo cool smile.gif
Krieger
You guys are almost done!
McMark
I'm still amazed at how straightforward and smooth (I didn't say easy cool.gif ) this project has been. I have no doubts that it will be plenty strong. There are a few large hurdles to cross yet, but we've gotten a lot farther in three days than I would have expected.

And yes, the white car was rusty. Why do you think we picked it? smoke.gif The funny thing is that once we're a little farther along I will have to take some time to do a little rust repair. laugh.gif

Thanks Andy, mightyohm (Jeff K), and LarryR for their help. It really sped things up during all the measuring, leveling, and straightening. (we checked the balance and alignment of the halves about 30 different ways)
tod914
I hate to ask this, but are you going to have to cut it in half to get it in the paint booth?
bcaschera
i think two 914s might fit in the booth bumper to bumper, this thing is less one deck lid biggrin.gif . Seriosly though, how long is it ? like the size of lincoln continental? or is it acctually approaching true limo size. confused24.gif
orange914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 31 2010, 11:03 AM) *

Leftovers ...

i think you need to put THESE together for a trailer or wheely car
SirAndy
QUOTE(bcaschera @ Jan 31 2010, 08:55 PM) *

i think two 914s might fit in the booth bumper to bumper, this thing is less one deck lid biggrin.gif . Seriosly though, how long is it ? like the size of lincoln continental? or is it acctually approaching true limo size. confused24.gif

My guess would be about the length of a full size pickup truck ...

We haven't actually measured it yet.
biggrin.gif Andy
TJB/914
We live our dream through you guys. pray.gif

Anything we (914-World guys) can donate??

Tom
Cupomeat
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 12 2010, 08:15 AM) *

Here's your motor in my garage, I've been waiting to use it for something biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

DAMN, now that is a beautiful sight.

piratenanner.gif
Krieger
Hey Mark how about calling it a Twin Targa? driving.gif Limo and 914 seem to be at odds with each other.
FourBlades

You can shock the pinkie benders by entering it in the next PCA parade autocross.

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif happy11.gif

John
McMark
914Sedan just doesn't have the same ring.
URY914
I just showed my daughter this thread and she wants it for her senior prom in four years. biggrin.gif
McMark
Sounds great Paul. aktion035.gif
plymouth37
Love it! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
SirAndy
I got Jeff's pictures today. Not much new stuff, so here are a few more ...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
I just now noticed that the rear part of the limo is in fact Patrick's old car that his son ran into a tree ...

At least, she'll live on. aktion035.gif

Patrick, if you read this, you'll get free Limo rides for lifetime!
beerchug.gif Andy

IPB Image
Brent

beerchug.gif Andy

That is true class Sir Andy! But what if he never reads this?
Krieger
Let me know if you guys need parts I may have some.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brent @ Feb 2 2010, 01:31 AM) *

beerchug.gif Andy

That is true class Sir Andy! But what if he never reads this?

I sent him an email with a link to this thread ...

shades.gif Andy
ericread
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Feb 1 2010, 01:25 PM) *

You can shock the pinkie benders by entering it in the next PCA parade autocross.

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif happy11.gif

John

If you really want some comments, put it in the Concours... The "lost" 914 limo.
EdwardBlume
So what are the next steps?
Dr Evil
I knew you guys could do this, but what about the engine? I want to see how what you were discussing when I was out there is going to materialize idea.gif

You can put the mini bar in the front passengers seat with access to the rear compartment smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 2 2010, 10:48 AM) *

I knew you guys could do this, but what about the engine? I want to see how what you were discussing when I was out there is going to materialize idea.gif

You can put the mini bar in the front passengers seat with access to the rear compartment smile.gif

idea.gif
I was thinking between the front seats with rear access ...

As for the engine, for now we'll throw in anything we can find, probably some tired old 1.7L ...

The flat /8 is still the goal long term, but if someone wants to donate a /6 in the meantime, that would be great!
w00t.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(RobW @ Feb 2 2010, 10:24 AM) *

- Take out the center firewall
- Clean up the doorjamb/sailpanel transition
- Add more bracing on the inside (once the firewall is out of the way)
- Patch the floor-pan gap
- Add cross-bracing on the floor-pan
- Make a clean center tunnel
- Clean the damn thing!

popcorn[1].gif Andy
McMark
QUOTE(RobW @ Feb 2 2010, 10:24 AM) *

Cut out the white firewall, and reinforce/fill the gap where the two chassis meet. Lots of patch panels to be made and welded in.
McMark
Just measured the wheelbase: 148 in. from wheel center to wheel center.

Stock 914 is about 96 in. Which makes it about a 50% increase in length.
ppickerell
WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif

On second thought at least it did not end up cut into pcs, oh wait it did. I am so confused!

aktion035.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(ppickerell @ Feb 2 2010, 12:18 PM) *

On second thought at least it did not end up cut into pcs, oh wait it did. I am so confused!

biggrin.gif

Patrick, i hope all is well, i haven't seen you on here in a while.
beerchug.gif Andy
montoya 73 2.0
Will there be Airport shuttle service available? Will the driver be wearing a chaffeur suit, holding a name card and beer chilling in the bar? I'd pay good cash for that type of service!

Family still lives in San Jose, I go there twice a year.

beerchug.gif
monkei
Thanks, guys. Now my dad has EVEN MORE reason to hate me for wrecking his teener. sad.gif

On the other hand, interesting project....
EdwardBlume

WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif

aktion035.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif

You have to admit.. it looks good!
ppickerell
QUOTE(RobW @ Feb 2 2010, 02:42 PM) *

You have to admit.. it looks good!

Ok, admitted.

Let's run the limo in the 24 hrs of Lemons! I sponsor the 66 Faster Farms Belvedere.

I was so broke up after the 914 was murdered that I bought this
IPB Image
IPB Image

It has really helped me cope with the trauma of losing the 914 even though the engina is in the wrong place
McMark
That's some good medicine.... drooley.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 2 2010, 07:54 PM) *

agree.gif
bandjoey
The chauffeur will be wearing a Hawaiian shirt, a sailing cap, shorts and flip flops! It's the 914 way. piratenanner.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 2 2010, 08:07 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 2 2010, 07:54 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif
SirAndy
Cutting the firewall:

SirAndy
We moved the doors to the back and started mocking up the roofline:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Firewall out! This really opens up the inside space:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
This is going to need some cleanup and welding biggrin.gif ...

SirAndy
Two more:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
The lower portion of the firewall will stay. We already seam-welded the top shut and we'll add a flat section to the back to get a nice clean box. It'll add to the strength of the center portion and also give us a clean transition to the floor-patch that still needs to be added.

The front portion of the rear center tunnel will be replaced with a custom piece for better looks.

The side areas will have substantial bracing added on the inside from the doorposts up into the rollbar area. Then the whole side will be closed up with a smooth patch-panel.

For the roof, it looks like we will in fact be able to keep both targa tops for the front and rear. We came up with an idea that would give us a nice roofline and still have the front top removable as well. We shall see ...

Any local volunteers for Saturday the 20th??? We could need some hands as we will have to do a lot of cleaning, grinding and prepping of the inside before we weld in all the reinforcements and panels.
idea.gif Andy
sixnotfour
my thought is two targa roofs with a targa band between, The separation, after all shows the client and chauffeur are two different entities.

Nice Job , will be great FUN.
scotty b
This is rediculous. We all know you can't limo a 914 dry.gif
sixnotfour

Wrecked- Sold- WFT ? The Bird Forum is yor new friend.

IF you really cared you would have fixed it .
plymouth37
pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.