Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Lennies914
Is there a date for the build party?

Silver would look cool!
scotty b
How about saturn yellow and lime green ?? Mark Epstein has a motor for it

you could name it the Mintberry crunchmobile

strawman
C'mon -- SF Giants orange! I'd pay big bux to to be dropped off at One Willie Mays Plaza in a teener limo!!! beerchug.gif
Mikey914
It's a limo, Black of course!Second thought, black shows all your bodywork sins, silver is more painter friendly.
Dr Evil
Martini? Racing stripe?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 10 2010, 11:06 PM) *

Martini? Racing stripe?

Now you're thinking ... biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Grasshopper? It is a limited addition (only one) and there wasnt officially one made in that scheme, right?
flipb
What's wrong with you people? Don't you realize it'll hurt the collector value of the car if you paint it anything other than the original factory color?
av-943.gif

(of course, that might require a nice blend between the front & rear donors...)
johannes
Tangerine !!!

... Let's do it seventies ! ...

Gustl
what about one of these:

Click to view attachment

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Mikey914

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
[/quote]
I think the Dr has it, Martini!!!
bandjoey
Purple with lots of neon! and it's Time to start on the INTERIOR!
AndyB
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 11 2010, 12:38 PM) *

Purple with lots of neon! and it's Time to start on the INTERIOR!

blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
siverson
L20E
Gustl
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 11 2010, 08:06 AM) *

Martini? Racing stripe?

like this one

Chris Pincetich
BLACK
matte black
satin black
metalic black
ultra glossy black
black with racing stripes
silver and black
BLACK
flipb
QUOTE(Gustl @ Nov 11 2010, 02:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 11 2010, 08:06 AM) *

Martini? Racing stripe?

like this one

QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Nov 11 2010, 04:52 PM) *

BLACK
matte black
satin black
metalic black
ultra glossy black
black with racing stripes
silver and black
BLACK

Would be quite badass for the whole car to be gloss black with the Martini Racing stripes in various matte/satin blacks... barely perceptible except in bright daylight.
aktion035.gif
Eric_Shea
IPB Image
Cupomeat
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 10 2010, 10:48 PM) *

How about saturn yellow and lime green ?? Mark Epstein has a motor for it

you could name it the Mintberry crunchmobile

If you did that, does that mean it would combine the delicious tastes of Mint AND Berry (as well as be immortal)? happy11.gif
montoya 73 2.0
I choose Aubergine!

Click to view attachment
BiG bOgGs
If the classic black limo look is not where you guys want to go, I would suggest going with any classic color/racing scheme from one of the classic/iconic 914's.

Any of the 70's racing teams would be cool.

Or maybe it could be styled after the 914 given to Ferry Porsche.

What ever you guys decide on, I'm sure it will be cool. aktion035.gif
scotty b
smile.gif whit, pull the stripes starting at the top of the turn signals, and run them straight back along the top edge tapering to a point near the cowel. There was a 935 with a similar look
Betty
Gulf colored paint scheme?

Either that or I'm really liking either Bumble Bee, Creamsicle, or Grasshopper.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Betty @ Nov 12 2010, 08:39 AM) *
Grasshopper

A grasshopper limo? idea.gif idea.gif idea.gif popcorn[1].gif
Ferg
harlequin like the old Golfs? laugh.gif

McMark
Nice thinking, Drew. I could get into aubergine. idea.gif

I like Grasshopper too. sunglasses.gif

If anyone wants to show up this Sunday and strip the parts car, come on down.
swood
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 12 2010, 07:06 PM) *

+1
Auber Uber Alles!! clap56.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(swood @ Nov 12 2010, 10:39 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 12 2010, 07:06 PM) *

+1
Auber Uber Alles!! clap56.gif

Retro cool!
ClayPerrine
Paint it like the Pink Pig?

Or how about the paisley 917 paint job?

bob
I'd vote for a Grasshopper Limo!

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
So imagine if the car was done in the 70's and was a support vehicle for the factory race teams and painted to match the transporter and race car. If I were building one that's the direction I would be taking. But I'm kind of like that. screwy.gif
arkitect
My feeble attempt at paintbrush -
Click to view attachment
JRust
wanted to try to get the side stripe with Porsche but couldn't figure out how to insert text sad.gif
Katmanken
Piffle,

White Porsche limos are sooooooooo common.....

(no, it's not a photoshop, it resides about 40 miles up the road from me)

You need another color....

Now a gulf blue and orange limo....... idea.gif
kafermeister
Ken is that from the Taj?
P.Rocket
Ravenna green is totally 70's and very photogenic.
Elliot Cannon
BLACK limo's have class. A black Porsche 914 limo would be classy. Ya want to put racing stripes on it? Then why not some neon lights under the rocker panels and a really, really loud "ricer" type exhaust. You have a choice between a classy project that will draw an admiring crowd or something that looks like a high school project that the 15 year olds will love.
Cheers, Elliot
SirAndy
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 14 2010, 08:49 PM) *
You have a choice between a classy project that will draw an admiring crowd or something that looks like a high school project that the 15 year olds will love.

Class? Where do i find some of that? confused24.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 15 2010, 12:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 14 2010, 08:49 PM) *
You have a choice between a classy project that will draw an admiring crowd or something that looks like a high school project that the 15 year olds will love.

Class? Where do i find some of that? confused24.gif

My driveway. laugh.gif
shoguneagle
I finally re-read the entire thread taking everything into consideration.

The Project: Great demonstration of skills, thinking, winging it, and engineering know how. Great job with eyeballs, straight edge, metal, tape, and string. A great build to see how sheet metal is worked on a 914 including building stress points and developing ideas while on the build cycle. Learned alot and nice to see people are dedicated to getting a conversion done in a short and reasonable time frame. Great Job!!

I really liked the constructive ideas offered and makes even an observer think about your project and how you are putting it together.

I am looking forward to seeing The Project when I get to Bay Area next June. Keep up the good work and hope to see what the final paint scheme. I like the idea the Doctor suggests: a one of a kind deserving special treatment within the Porsche car family.

Thanks for letting me reading the thread.

Steve Hurt
jim_hoyland
How about the Janis Joplin look ?
McMark
Got some more work done on the limo today. We halted progress on the body and started focusing on making the thing move under its own power. No sense in getting the body perfect, if it doesn't drive well.

So we did some brainstorming, ate some pizza, and then extended the clutch tube and throttle tube. We used the tube from our parts car, so it's a perfect size match. We then clamped a section of sheet metal around the junction and brazed the whole thing together. This'll be plenty strong.

Now we just need to order custom length cables from Terry Cable and we can check these two off our list.
McMark
Next Weekend - Dec 5.

We will be finishing up some welding/fabrication in the rear center tunnel. But we could really use some help pulling the motor and trans out of the parts car. We need this transmission to test fit the motor and finish fabricating a few more pieces. We could use 2 or 3 people for this.
Dr Evil
For a tranz, do you suppose a box with 4 short gears and one tall/stock 5th for freeway would be desirable? Let me know if you want me to do up a box for this smile.gif
SirAndy
I got nothing except these pics of McMark playing with his torch ... happy11.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 28 2010, 04:59 PM) *

Next Weekend - Dec 5.

We will be finishing up some welding/fabrication in the rear center tunnel. But we could really use some help pulling the motor and trans out of the parts car. We need this transmission to test fit the motor and finish fabricating a few more pieces. We could use 2 or 3 people for this.

agree.gif

Some help with that would be cool ... smilie_pokal.gif

We decided to make her a runner first, then pretty her up with lipstick and sheet-metal. driving.gif cheer.gif
rick 918-S
If you decide on a color you could jamb the engine bay an then you wouldn't need to pull the engine later when it comes time to paint the car. Just an idea'er.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 28 2010, 07:42 PM) *

If you decide on a color you could jamb the engine bay an then you wouldn't need to pull the engine later when it comes time to paint the car. Just an idea'er.

We thought about that. But there's still lots of work to do back there. The hell hole needs attention for one.

At this point, we want to concentrate on getting it running first. Yes, we'll have to pull everything again for the final metal work and paint.
But at least at that point we know all the basics work as intended.

Plus, we're getting tired of pushing it around the parking lot ...
laugh.gif
SirAndy
Tomorrow will be another Limo Sundayâ„¢. Ya'all are welcome to schwing by if you are in the area ...

smash.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
SirAndy
It's alive!!!! smilie_pokal.gif

Well, sorta. biggrin.gif

Today was pretty productive. Lennie stopped by to help, so we got a lot done.

We cut the parts car in half and removed the engine and transmission. We'll be using the transmission in the limo.

We then hooked up the extended wiring harness, added the gauges and tail lights, threw in a battery and voila!
No smoke. No blown fuses.
Taillights came on as did the headlights and dash lights. The blinker relay was clicking but no blinkers. Probably a ground issue.

cheer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.