Full Version: Jim Kelly's V8 re-conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
SUNAB914
WOW, very nice!
jimkelly
agree.gif

sean_v8_914
you are planning to radius the radiator exhaust posts in the fender wells, right?
sean_v8_914
...you could do a hammer welded fillet to create a radius

typing, sheesh.
jimkelly
i notice that too - part of original installation - looks like a good place for a crack to be born. jim

scotty b
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 3 2011, 06:56 AM) *

i think they may still need drilling and tapping for retaining screws??

911 hubs with 914-6 rotors should be fine.

***IMPORTANT***, augmentation to the Elephant instructions:

Instructions say - Use a 1/16th" bit. You will break that. I simply use a 5mm drill to tap for a 6 x 1 thread all the way through* ( use a 4.2mm if your kit does indeed have the M5 x .8 )

Instructions say - Drill and tap for M5 x .8. *I found the last kit I received (the ones for my car) came with M6 x 1 zerks. ( again, use a 4.2mm if your kit does ineed have the M5 x .8 )

Best to use a drill press if you have one that can get into those areas. Install the hubs "last" to accomodate access with the drill press.

Well the zirks in Jims kit appear to be 6 x .8 huh.gif calipers read out to a 5.87, so if I round up I get a 6m, if I round WAY down then I get a 5m dry.gif My 5m x .8 tap measures out to 5.07. the only other option on these is they might be a 1/4 x 32 confused24.gif Neither of these taps are in my kit of course dry.gif
scotty b
The supplied and impossible to find 6m x .8 : 12-32 : 1/4-32 ( all I know is it is NOT a 6m-1.0) on the left, and the 1/4-28 that Lowes had a bin full of on the right, and most tap and die kits contain. Makes sense to me wacko.gif
jimkelly
more shiney - i like that one : ))
type47
Dang for the rest of us, there'll be no keepin' up with Jim with that front sway ... driving.gif
jimkelly
that is damn right - getting smoked by you and rod over the blue ridge mountains - still causes me lingering pain ; ))

--

QUOTE(type47 @ Nov 1 2011, 02:25 PM) *

Dang for the rest of us, there'll be no keepin' up with Jim with that front sway ... driving.gif

strawman
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 1 2011, 12:59 PM) *

The supplied and impossible to find 6m x .8 : 12-32 : 1/4-32 ( all I know is it is NOT a 6m-1.0) on the left, and the 1/4-28 that Lowes had a bin full of on the right, and most tap and die kits contain. Makes sense to me wacko.gif

Check with Elephant Racing -- last time I checked with Churck, he has upsized the zerk fittings to 6mm because the 5mm ones break too easily (ask me why I asked Chuck...). I upsized all of mine while everything was out and easy to drill/install.
scotty b
smile.gif Drilled tapped and zerked trailing arms. New bearings, new Bilsteins. 911 hubs, had to be drilled and tapped for the 914 rotor retaining screws and new brakes by Mr. Shea completes the wardrobe. Next up is the rear sway bar
jaxdream
911 hubs redrilled for 914 bolt pattern ??? Different path.

Jack
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Nov 4 2011, 09:08 AM) *

911 hubs redrilled for 914 bolt pattern ??? Different path.

Jack

The idea behind Jim's car is to keep the "stock sleeper" look to the car, including the original 4-bolt fuchs.
scotty b
Got the swaybar bushing installed with a little help from our friends. smile.gif Made some mounting brackets to look factory and installed all today.
scotty b
Factory setup for comparison.
jimkelly
it's gonna drive like a different car : )

scott - how bad is my rear trunk rear pan? is it patchable?
VaccaRabite
You are damn right it is going to drive like a new car. Wow. This looks fantastic.

Zach
scotty b
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Nov 5 2011, 03:37 AM) *

it's gonna drive like a different car : )

scott - how bad is my rear trunk rear pan? is it patchable?

Pretty bad along the back edge. Remind me to open it up next time you head this way so you can see it unsure.gif
scotty b
So after 2 months + of painting and staying clean, it was kind of nice to get dirty again biggrin.gif
scotty b
couple mo
JRust
Holy rust Batman blink.gif . Go Scotty go welder.gif
Dr Evil
HE aint gonna have no car left after you cut out the rust.
hot_shoe914
Geez, I'm not even sure Christine has that much rust. confused24.gif
computers4kids
Jim,
no offense but did you realize you needed that much rust repair going in? Seems it would have been easier to get a CA tub and transplant your running gear into it. At least you've got the master behind the torch.
jimkelly
as long as i don't see scotty using the PUKE smilely - i'm good.

barf.gif
zymurgist
Holy Swiss cheese, Batman! yikes.gif

I almost dread seeing what horrors await when Scotty gets hold of Babydoll...
mepstein
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jan 31 2012, 06:27 AM) *

as long as i don't see scotty using the PUKE smilely - i'm good.

barf.gif

He wore that smilely out on my car sad.gif
DRPHIL914
After seeing that, i realize that mine isn't so bad after all! i mean, my rear longs and jackpoints have to be worked, but atleast my trunks etc are free of that kind of rot, WOW!

well, kudoz to saving and fixing, Jim. i'm afraid the were that car on the LEFT coast, it would be a zillion pieces by now . huh.gif
bozo914
Jim, you're gonna love those see-thru floor pans. I had Scotty install a set for me. I still haven't quite got the hang of them, as my butt still drags the ground when I sit in the car and make vroom-vroom noises. sawzall-smiley.gif
jimkelly
not sure if they are less rust - or - less metal : ))

QUOTE(bozo914 @ Jan 31 2012, 12:12 PM) *

Jim, you're gonna love those see-thru floor pans. I had Scotty install a set for me. I still haven't quite got the hang of them, as my butt still drags the ground when I sit in the car and make vroom-vroom noises. sawzall-smiley.gif

scotty b
QUOTE(bozo914 @ Jan 31 2012, 11:12 AM) *

Your vroom vroom noises are about to get a lot louder poke.gif biggrin.gif
jimkelly
that means right now you are welder.gif and not beer3.gif
MDG
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jan 31 2012, 03:18 PM) *

confused24.gif Not sure why you'd assume it's one or the other with Scotty?
scotty b
QUOTE(MDG @ Jan 31 2012, 02:40 PM) *

dry.gif slap.gif
MDG
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 31 2012, 05:56 PM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ Jan 31 2012, 02:40 PM) *

dry.gif slap.gif

Sorry pal - my bad. I thought this was the Resurrecting Evil thread.
jimkelly
oh great.

so the reality in charles city va is probably more like this.

beer.gif beer3.gif beerchug.gif barf.gif yellowsleep[1].gif welder.gif and repeat biggrin.gif

i am cool with that smoke.gif
mepstein
Just check out the shop web cam-

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/6c3c8b386...e-wild-bloopers
westtexass2k
I think an L33 aluminum 5.3 would be a sweet motor for a swap. 315hp and 330 ftlb of torque. Just pop an LS1 intake on it. It saves you a good chunk of weight over a iron block and good hp.
scotty b
crevasse's WTF.gif got wire brushed, Ospho'ed, and brushed with rustoleum. Floor pan got holes punched, weld areas got sanded and etched primed and the center section got brushed with rustoleum. The rustoleum really isn't necessary, but I had it out and the brush was still wet so why not confused24.gif Still have a little more welding to do, welder.gif but the biggest part is done unsure.gif
MDG
thumb3d.gif

You're a good'n Scotty B.
scotty b
huh.gif
bulitt
good time to run a couple of seamless tube heater pipes through that center section!
scotty b
QUOTE(MDG @ Feb 2 2012, 02:37 PM) *

thumb3d.gif

dry.gif Oh sure your all nice and friendly to me in public ( the garage ) but in the sandbox I'm your little mentally handicapped, basement dwelling clown mad.gif
jimkelly
NICE PROGRESS biggrin.gif

is it possible to minimize the door gap by cutting a thin slice up and around the long - apply some downward pressure to realign the door gap - then weld the slice back up?
MDG
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 2 2012, 05:53 PM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ Feb 2 2012, 02:37 PM) *

thumb3d.gif

dry.gif Oh sure your all nice and friendly to me in public ( the garage ) but in the sandbox I'm your little mentally handicapped, basement dwelling clown mad.gif

No - you're that here in the Garage too.

Ride the short bus long enough and someone is bound to compliment your talent for sitting sooner or later. confused24.gif You do good work. Deal with it.
saigon71
Damn, those floor pans look awesome! aktion035.gif
jimkelly
also - the pan was installed WITHOUT a rotissere, which means the welder was under a rain of fire welder.gif

how many spot welds does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop ?? the owl wants to know beerchug.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhjb4P_jnKk

zymurgist
Outstanding! Babydoll wants one too! aktion035.gif
SUNAB914
Gosh Scotty, wish i lived a little closer, I would be there helping you as much as you needed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.