Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jim Kelly's V8 re-conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Andyrew
4 hrs is pretty decent, at 70mph average thats... 280 miles / ~ 15gal = 18+mpg.. Thats better than what I ever got!
jimkelly
i just double checked the miles i drove on my last tank of gas. i went about 222 miles but can not remember how many gallons where left in tank when i filled up last, probably 1 or 2. i came up with 14.8mpg. if 2 gallons left in tank, then i was getting closer to 17.0 mpg. i will watch my mpg a little closer and report back. i'll check my bank acct tomorrow to see how much i spent on gas last time i filled up at $2.39 a gallon, and i will know what was left ion my tank for certain.
jimkelly
glasspacks coming out and magnaflows going in. kinda nice having a car that i can call a hot rod, or a rat rod, or a sports car, at will biggrin.gif
jimkelly
magnaflows are in and NO MORE DRONE. you guys were right to guide to toward magnaflows, i almost bought walkers. exhaust is a lot quieter and the rear section is higher off ground. tomorrow i will decide how to fab up a hanger. i just got it on ground and wheels back on and took it for a drive, so much more pleasant to drive, almost civilized biggrin.gif but now i can hear more squeaks and rattles sad.gif
okieflyr
Who is this Masked Man? welder.gif
jimkelly
rod, aka: root. he can tig like a madman these days welder.gif

i owe him some Face Plant IPA, that is for sure.
jimkelly
today got steering wheel straight and tightened my ebrake cables a bit.

i expected steering wheel to resist removal but she jumped right off and said "thank you " biggrin.gif

rigged up my GPS using some holes where my ashtray used to be. could not take the gooseneck holder i had before that bounced all over the place like and erection in an earthquake wacko.gif
jimkelly
hard to hear much improvement but believe me there is a big improvement over glasspacks using magnaflows.

old exhaust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdXDxG2QvaY

new exhaust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N0-a52Csdc
jimkelly
speedo installed smile.gif but I got a boots question. I thought big boot should be facing firewall? not angle drive? if this boot covers angle drive, what covers the hole in the firewall, the small boot? makes sense to me now. it is just when I rcvd it, the speedo nut was lodged in the smaller boot. my sbc 307 seems to hum all the way to ALMOST 5000 rpms. though I keep it around <3k most of the time. still trying to get used to driving a stick again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsiCTh6Ql-k
jimkelly
found this. now I have to reread it a few times.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=241571&hl=

mine is like this. I will probably just put some silicone in the firewall hole and not try to slide the smaller boot all the way to the speedo gage.
jimkelly
pic of knob I need to get.

pic of 914rubber installed, looks so nice, new rubber could become an addiction biggrin.gif

would like to add this sleeve at some point.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...l=first++sleeve
jimkelly
turns out my shift linkage at firewall is loose. I assumed it was the ID of the bushing, BUT it turns out that it is the OD of the bushing OR the ID of the hole in firewall?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHndgluPlBc

jimkelly
put a speedo cable in and guage seemed to work fine aftyer initial testing but then on a long drive it started making noise, then guage stopped working. put a drill on end of cable and guage did not move, pulled on fitting on trans end of cable and it cam off easily in my hand. seems it got hogged out during my drive. i think i did not have cable routed smoothly (least curves) enough? i'll try again with an old cable this time.
r_towle
Get foleys firewall bushing and the ujoint that is right outside the firewall.
For the sleeve, use bronze not copper.
jimkelly
thanks smoke.gif

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 28 2015, 04:50 PM) *

Get foleys firewall bushing and the ujoint that is right outside the firewall.
For the sleeve, use bronze not copper.

jimkelly
well, i removed my rear sway bar and my car seems to track a bit better then before. the rear is less stiff but for street/hwy driving, i feel it is better. so until i can have an alignment done, i will leave rear bar off.

also changed my fuel filter before pump, it had some crap in it from tank. having clear plastic filters has the advantage of being able to be visually inspected.
jimkelly
i know that not many are doing sbc v8 conversions anymore AND that renegade is making only LS conversion kits BUT if these things were not the case, it would be far better if the water cooler belt was the rearward belt and the alt belt were the forward belt BECAUSE to remove the alt belt requires the coolant to be drained from car cause the neck on the water pump touches the motor mount and stops it from sliding lose thus requires the neck to be removed : ( at least this seems to be the case for me.

my alt belt won't stop fluttering, not matter how tight or loose i set it. seems like i need a tensioner?

i need to source a neck (made in china also) that comes down the other side i think.

note the leak, i was already removing neck.
arkitect
Jim,

Cool sbc build. I thought the face plant comment was something you're car did until i seen the beer pict. Good ipa name.

Dave
jimkelly
my top issue now is that my alt belt is fluttering badly at some rpms above 2250 and especially at an rpm that I was to cruise at on hwy. I think I need to at a tensioner asap. I try various amounts of tighten first but I do not think it is only a setting issue of the belt. mad.gif
JP3
Jim,
Did you get your speedometer fixed? I finally gave up on mine and bought a GPS speedo from Speedhut. You can customize just about anything on it to match the existing gauges.

Jerry
bobo914
Hi Jim. Cool seeing an old school sbc build, don't see them often anymore. I have one also and love it. I just crawled under mine to look at the belts for you. Maybe check your belt numbers? Both are Gates belts 7410 for water pump and 7355 for alternator. My alt belt flutters a little, not more than any other old style belt car.
jimkelly
well, I finally know what all the fuss is about SPEED BLEEDERS. they are as awesome as everyone says and they should be on every car. if for no other reason that they have a larger hex on them and they seat in REALLY nice.

I raised the rear when bleeding the rear and front vice versa. and as per rtowle I added 2 drops of food color red to fluid to be sure I bled my lines completely. I found it took about 20-30 pumps of the peddle to fully clear out all old fluid. thus you can see pinkish fluid in my reservoir. I used only one qt to do the entire car BUT bought 3 expecting to need more (DOT4).

I just bled all 4 calipers and my peddle felt nice and high once done. I think I have a lingering problem in that my pads were never really bedded in properly.
jimkelly
I have the store covers for those belts and think I still have a 7410 on my car but my alt belt was too long to tighten down fully so I got one a bit shorter at advance auto the other day. but i still can't tighten it down enough to eliminate flutter, so I ordered a belt tensioner from ebay yesterday with hopes I can incorporate it onto mu alt bracket. thanks for checking on this for me biggrin.gif

QUOTE(bobo914 @ Oct 10 2015, 08:21 AM) *

Hi Jim. Cool seeing an old school sbc build, don't see them often anymore. I have one also and love it. I just crawled under mine to look at the belts for you. Maybe check your belt numbers? Both are Gates belts 7410 for water pump and 7355 for alternator. My alt belt flutters a little, not more than any other old style belt car.

bobo914
It will be interesting to see if the tensioner solution fixes it. Make sure to post pics, like seeing the creative fixes people come up with.
jimkelly
this is the one I went with, $13.41 shipped.
bobo914
Nice! Are you going to tension the back side of the belt? That would increase the amount of pulley wrap also.
jimkelly
that is the plan. press on the flat of the lower belt loop upward.
jimkelly
changed my oil, changed the filter, and put a 180 degree thermostat on it. engine temp guage seems to stay around 190 when car is parked and running BUT fans seem to stay on the whole time. need to take it for a spin to see if fans cycle a little bit. need to add a FAN ON light on dash so i can monitor them.
Andyrew
What is your fan switch supposed to cycle at?
76-914
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 13 2015, 03:28 PM) *

changed my oil, changed the filter, and put a 180 degree thermostat on it. engine temp guage seems to stay around 190 when car is parked and running BUT fans seem to stay on the whole time. need to take it for a spin to see if fans cycle a little bit. need to add a FAN ON light on dash so i can monitor them.

Jim, that light will be a nuisance at nite. Not so much in Town but definitely in low light environments i.e., dark country roads. I placed mine on the side panel of the center console. Now my knee keeps the light from blinding me. If you don't have a console locate w/ that in mind. beerchug.gif
jimkelly
it's a renegade radiator and it is activated by a 180 degree thermo switch i believe.

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 13 2015, 03:43 PM) *

timothy_nd28
Instead of using the aux input on the led controller to monitor low fuel, you could wire the aux input to the fan relay. But, I agree that it would be annoying seeing the gauges turn red every 2-3 mins
Andyrew
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 13 2015, 04:44 PM) *

it's a renegade radiator and it is activated by a 180 degree thermo switch i believe.

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 13 2015, 03:43 PM) *

180deg thermo and a 180deg fan switch means it would be on all the time... In my head at least.
jimkelly
until yesterday i did not have thermostat in my car. been driving it for about 2 months this way but the other night, it was chilly, and it took forever for my engine temp guage to show some heat. so it was time to put a thermostat in.

so the question is, might i be better of with a 160 degree or a 195 degree. first i will test drive with the 180 and see what happens.
jimkelly
used the pickup today to take a washer, then a dryer, to the dump.

turns out my car weight about 2520, with me 220 in it, so car weighs 2300 lbs. wasn't expecting that.

oh yeah, I drove the car about 3 hrs last night, outside temp must have been 50-55 degrees. car stayed at about 190 degrees, almost rock solid. I do not know if my fans were on all the time. I need to install a light so i can know.
76-914
So they didn't have a classification for a 914 so they called it a PICK UP blink.gif Looks like you burned thru 2.5 gal of gas between trips. shades.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 15 2015, 06:38 AM) *

used the pickup today to take a washer, then a dryer, to the dump.

turns out my car weight about 2520, with me 220 in it, so car weighs 230 lbs. wasn't expecting that.

oh yeah, I drove the car about 3 hrs last night, outside temp must have been 50-55 degrees. car stayed at about 190 degrees, almost rock solid. I do not know if my fans were on all the time. I need to install a light so i can know.

2300 sounds 100% right.

Only 7.50 for a dump? I have to pay $30 each trip.... (However old appliances like that scrappers come and get free)
jimkelly
$7.50 is the minimum, if I had a pickup truck with more capacity, I could have dumped both for $7.50 mad.gif

I think the machines on the back of my car fucked with my aerodynamics a bit sad.gif

my garage, free of broken washer and dryer, much better biggrin.gif
76-914
Washing machine motors can be used to make a nice 12" sander for< $50 in parts. rolleyes.gif
arkitect
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 15 2015, 08:36 AM) *

Washing machine motors can be used to make a nice 12" sander for< $50 in parts. rolleyes.gif

That would be interesting to see...any picts?

Dave
jimkelly
I am hesitant to stab it but will give it a go and report back as to what happens.

went to ace hardware to get some screws so i can attached my headlight surrounds. seems it helps to remove the front amber lenses when installing the surrounds, makes getting to the outer screws easier.

also popped my console tray in.

as you can see, my definition of INSTALLED, is quite different than most. in most cases I should probably say RIGGED unsure.gif
76-914
QUOTE(arkitect @ Oct 15 2015, 10:30 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 15 2015, 08:36 AM) *

That would be interesting to see...any picts?

Dave

Sure. Excuse the brief hijack, Jim. It even has 2 speeds as seen in one pic. lol-2.gif I burned up the first motor when I tried to use just 3 wires so the second time I keep the complete WM harness. That is the gob of wires beneath it. IIRC, I bought the disc from some company that makes large sanders. Just wrote them to say I had gouged mine and wanted a replacement. Just be sure the motor shaft size matches the disc. Hijack over. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jimkelly
added a temporary light so i can see when my fans are running. i think i need to replace the 180 degree switch on the radiator with a 190 degree switch. fans did not run all the time but ran for long periods despite outside temps being in the 30s. and got me a new shift knob for my V8 and some fuses for my suby build.

pulley in, sounds like i have a turbo, some bearing whine on tension roller i think.

buy shift knob inn 5spd or 4spd
http://nirvanamotorsports.blogspot.com/p/p...hift-knobs.html
jimkelly
well, just took it for a test drive with the new tension roller instally, and NO FLUTTER biggrin.gif

i do have a while from either the new roller or the alternator, so maybe tomorrow i will lessen the tension on the belt, though i don;t think i went too tight idea.gif

nice to be able to drive at any speed and not get bad noises from the belt that forced me to adjust my gas peddle pressure for my entire drive.

2 unrelated pics.
jimkelly
anyone know how much a 3rd muffler like this might quiet down a V8?
Andyrew
Probably a good bit. The exhaust waves are going to hit each other and mellow out a lot.
jimkelly
that would be good because i still feel my car has too much bark in relation to its bite. 200hp +- should not be this loud. smoke.gif although not having a cable driven speedo may be giving me a false sense of SLOWNESS dry.gif

ran to walmart, love those low wages, oops, i mean prices.
mepstein
Download a speedo app to your phone. Plenty of free ones.
jimkelly
I now have a whining noise from belt. far better than having flutter. I think it is from the belt riding on the lip that keeps belt from riding off of pulley? might recess pulley a bit more into bracket. and another dirty fuel filter. I have plenty of metal ones but need more plastic ones that I can see thru.

FWIW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAI2eJzjo20
bulitt
Speed Metal installed this single dualin/dual out magnaflow. Going this route.

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.