Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jim Kelly's V8 re-conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jan 5 2013, 08:39 AM) *

i'm kinda liking this color combo these days.

I like it too!

But, on that 911, the rear needs to be raised up 1/2". Looks like he rolling with fat chicks in the back...
mittelmotor
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 5 2013, 08:42 AM) *

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jan 5 2013, 08:39 AM) *

i'm kinda liking this color combo these days.

I like it too!

But, on that 911, the rear needs to be raised up 1/2". Looks like he rolling with fat chicks in the back...

Agreed. And those rimz looks likes they came offa some rapper's Chrysler 300C. barf.gif But color scheme is good!
jimkelly
been slackin and might get back to slackin again, who knows.
but my attempt at jerry rigging a throttle cable came out good : )
could not use the tunnel and it was not open all the way from end to end and I have no way to clear it out at the moment. so I ran a bicycle cable outside the tunnel.
next up I need to check clutch cable setting.
and I have decided to swap out proportioning valve for an adjustable unit cause I must have tons of air in my brake lines : (

pn's for lokar stuff:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lok-s-2412
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lok-s-2411/overview/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SqM1mONOYs
jimkelly
bad gas but mostly rust in tank clogged my damn carb again : (

and working on getting bubblers out of my brake lines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcnA9XECgb0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD_buyDgT9g
76-914
poke.gif It's about time that you got off your dead ass and on your dying feet, Jim. Glad to see you back at it. beerchug.gif
bulitt
Same color as my HVAC unit... confused24.gif laugh.gif

IPB Image

But I really like this color...

Click to view attachment
jimkelly
starting to get some peddle. cracked the lines at the MC and let them drip a bit under pressure from my Motive Power Bleeder and going caliper to caliper several times. I think I need to drive it some to move the rest of the bubbles outward. one thing is my rubber hose on my Motive sprung a leak twice now, due to ???, it is a mess when the line springs a leak UNDER PRESSURE : (
jimkelly
got a video for you guys coming later today. it is of me taking my first PARTIAL test drive. anyway, my tank is rusty but iu have a 1975 tank that looks good, so I will swap them out. video to come.

better tank modified for my single carb set up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj3fsi33u7o
jimkelly
doing a little more wiring today. adding to what I did last week. to get my horn and wipers working enough for inspection. latter I will try to fix correctly using car;'s harness. gonna run 10 guage wire to all fuse blocks so I can feed all relay pin 30's with 10 guage wire.

horn and wipers are now wired and working. also installed 2 emergency brake line clips on rear trailing arms, that I bought new at pelican cause my old ones were rotted.

carb has crap in it, so I must pull it apart and clean it out of any debris. then I should be able to take it for a spin and get it registered.
jimkelly
tomorrow I put new tires on some ratty rims : )

update: tires on rims : )

decided to add a mcmark style starter relay, since I had a few extra.

seems my carb may not have crap in it, my filter between tank and pump was dirty, replaced it and my carbs squirt again. need to run it and test all I've done but want to give my neighbors a break, it's sunday : (

tires are on welder.gif
jimkelly
I kept finding chunks of what appears to be rubber in my gas line to carb, most between tank and pump. started to think pump (edelbrock 1791) was clogged up with rubber bits, so I flushed it out as bets I could but pressure still dropped from 3.5 to 2.5, so I replaced the edelbrock with a freaking MR GASKET electric fuel pump s12. which seems to be putting a better amount of furl in my filter between carb and pump, than my edelbrock was.

here is a video of my dash while I was running it a bit and watching my fuel nearest my carb filter for gas quantity.

while car is not that loud, I think I want an almost silent exhaust? summit have mandrel U bends and short muffler. current muffler 24" long, tip to tip.

tomorrow I plan to install front spoiler, found it today, forgot I had it : )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMAN5ULaNVo
jimkelly
took car to dmv yesterday, passed for everything except I had no door glass, did not think they would check.

installed a cheap plastic autozone door mirror, $10, works well.

new mr gasket fuel filter seems to be helping keep a good amount of gas in my filter.

got me a nice vintage creeper the other day.

added a spring to my mostly broken emergency brake handle to make it function.

today I rob doors from my 1975 for my 1972 so I can pass inspection on Tuesday for door glass being missing.

oh yeah, just order a speedo cable from pelican. wife says I was driving too fast yesterday.

got some more g3 plastic fuel filters, I am still needing to be able to see inside. will switch over to metal filters when I am 100% certain my fuel line is totally clean.

pic of my 100 amp circuit breaker (got it at advance auto) near battery. probably should down grade to 75 or 50 amps?

a crappy vid for you guys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xBW83Tuc94
mepstein
Ready to Suby the white car?
jimkelly
almost. how nice will it be to have a car that is mild mannered and have a trans that can be shifted like a modern car and have high rpms too. yesterday I found myself wanting to take it easy on the v8 so I started off in 2nd, went to 3rd, then to 5th. don't really need 4th for crusing. 5th at 2500 rpm must be between 55-60, I will check with my gps. speedo cable on its way to me. tires are now 195x65x15 dunlops. v8 is too dang noisey, got to get it quieter, noise in cabin is worse than noise outside by FAR.

and this permatex is what I have been using on my npt fuel fittings, mostly cause I already had it.

well... my 1975 (to be subaruized at some point in future) has been robbed of its doors.
Mike Bellis
The only way to get rid of V8 drone is to install a crossover tube before the mufflers.
jimkelly
well, since I robbed the doors from my 1975 for my 1972, I figured I better reinstalled the vertical sail seal too, which meant I needed to rob my 75 of its vertical sail trim aluminum.

to make a long story short, I just ordered my first seals my 914rubber.

http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Vertical-Tar...f-2-914VTSS.htm

jimkelly
I will look into where I may have space to add a crossover. the DRONE is killing me.

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 5 2015, 07:10 PM) *

The only way to get rid of V8 drone is to install a crossover tube before the mufflers.

1stworks
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 6 2015, 07:33 AM) *

I will look into where I may have space to add a crossover. the DRONE is killing me.

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 5 2015, 07:10 PM) *

I just got 2 MagnaFlow no cross over installed on my ls conversion.
I really like them.There not strait through, they have cone inside.

IPB Image
jimkelly
i've been thinking of this style too. I do prefer to have two individual pipes but realize it is hard to conquer drone doing so.
Cracker
Allot of people do add a cross over pipe...I NEVER (300hp - 525hp) have had "drone" in any of teener conversions. I've also NEVER have had a cross over pipe too. My engines have all been LS based power-plants. I've seen it also being a function of your exhaust itself - the chassis and engine (and exhaust) are all operating individually based upon their own frequency range. Production cars have the chassis tuned to allow all of these to work together or to limit the effect. Best of luck - drone sucks and is unlivable in my book. For what its worth, I've always used magnaflow Stainless mufflers...the bigger the better for reducing the volume.

Tony

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 5 2015, 09:10 PM) *

jimkelly
i just bled the brakes one more time. the other day when I drove it, I noticed the peddle would sink at stop lights when holding it. I have a power bleeder and seem to not be getting any more bubbles at the calipers, but with bleeder connected to master cylinder, I press the peddle, and bubbles would come out, and fluid in hose from bleeder to MC would drop in level, thus filling void that bubbles previously occupied. just recently I noticed bleeder could be used this way with benefit.

as for exhaust, maybe my glasspacks are just too poor a match for my car, and maybe any other muffler would reduce or eliminate drone, and of course, loudness overall. maybe I will go with walker sound fx, they are $25 a piece at summit.
BIGKAT_83
I also have never had a drone with my V8 cars using Magnaflow and Borla mufflers. I've also never used a cross over pipe.
I had some Flowmaster 40 series and these were drone city. I ran them for less than a mile and took them off the same day I installed them.

Bob
speed metal army
+10 on the Magnaflows. No drone, no crossover. Sound mint! aktion035.gif
Cracker
Jim,

I did a little looking and I believe this is the part I used on my old car...great sound but definitely not to loud (in my book). In fact, I used to be disappointed I couldn't heat the exhaust cruising down the road. blink.gif

PART # 14148
MagnaFlow Product #14148
CONFIGURATION CENTER/CENTER
LENGTH 6 IN
OVERALL LGTH 12 IN
IN/OUT DIA 2.5/2.5 IN
FINISH POLISHED

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Chris H.
Dummy exhaust tip for the stock opening or functional?
jimkelly
next up is to replace
*emergency brake handle
and
*cover firewall hole

and keep bleeding brakes till I can no longer lightly pump repeatedly by foot and not have peddle drop slowly to floor.

oh yeah, my wife had AAA basic, we just upgraded to plus, for her, our son and myself.

also got a passenger side front bumper grill coming. pic of drivers side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0yz9VTUDFk
mepstein
jim - do you need a firewall piece?
jimkelly
I need a firewall piece, a late hand brake with cable (working), and 16 lug bolts (can be ugly - so i can roll whitey around my garage). thanks.
mepstein
I have the firewall piece you can have for free. Best case senerio is next time your in Newark you drop by my shop. If you need me to ship I can but I would first have to trim the part since it's still most of the firewall.

Pm me if you want it.

I have lug bolts. Are the wheels steel or aluminum
jimkelly
wheels are steel. see u this weekend. thank you!
jimkelly
good news for me. car is now registered for 2 years biggrin.gif

just upped the pressure in my tires, 45 rear (chevy 350 engine), 40 front, let's see is that eliminates the suspension wiggle I was feeling.

need to straighten steering wheel, way off.

what remains next...
replace e brake handle (bdstone)
install pass side front bumber grill (kevinw)
install vertical targa seals (924rubber)
cover hole in firewall (mepstein)
replace these 2 wire nuts for crimped on connectors (spades)

I think I am going to probably replace all my spring ring hose clamps with worm gear type for peace of mind. certainly not ease and quickness of disassembly.

from pic below I see that I inadvertently clamped fuel pump to bracket, pinching the fuel pump's wires between it and bracket. must fix this.
Andyrew
45 in the rear? That must be one soft sidewall...
jimkelly
I have not test driven it yet with new pressures. but at these pressures, when I push car side to side, by hand when standing next to it, I can still get it to move side to side, but less it appears. it is only a $70 tire with a tall sidewall 195x65x15.

her are the comparision videos - I do not see much of a difference : (

tires with 32 psi all around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aptbCK1rj6o

rear tires with 45 psi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7PVeN9Lwsg

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 8 2015, 07:49 AM) *

Andyrew
I guess that makes sense. You need some tall tires to keep the v8 happy on the freeway smile.gif

jimkelly
thus my next project is gonna be a suby conversion, matching engine tranny, can us all gears, can push rpms up high, fuel injection, modern shifting, and I can put some low profile tires. I will need a donor 5spd awd legacy 1995 or earlier as I want a non interference engine preferably.

but next up for v8 car is a quiet exhaust. I am NOW leaning magnaflows (due to above comments) starting right after the bend coming off the manifolds. then a s curve to get last foot or tow of exhaust pipe up higher, tight with under body. I may even put a second set of mufflers after axles, magnaflows before axles?
jimkelly
buttoning some stuff up. fuel pump and fuel hose clamps.

got a firewall piece and lugs bolts from - mepstein - thank you mark !!

got a nice front bumper grill from kevinw - thank you.

got a pair of vertical targa rubber from 914rubber - thanks mike - need to find me some soap to slip those bitches up a bit for install.

swapped out all my regular fuses for easy id fuses.

and because I was still seeing black shit in my fuel filters, I decided to replace all my rubber fuel lines, with new. problem should be gone now.

oh yeah, rcvd a new speedo cable from pelican. I ordered it before I realized I have 2 old ones, but then said, fuck, new would be nicer.

even after adding pressure to tires, rear is sloppy when driving. I assume my alignment is way off, and I assume a way off alignment could be the culprit for sloppy handling???

those lug bolts from mark are the first step towards my 1975 becoming a suby conversion. the V8 is a blast (literally) to drive, but it is far from being a precision instrument : )

i'll be using my gps as a temporary speedometer. but today I realized my power port was not powered, so wired it to my new fuse box.

oh yeah, 2500 rpm is about 60 mph, 2200 is about 50 mph, 2800 is about 65 mph.
jimkelly
drove it 3 hrs today : )
jimkelly
she is gonna be a little quieter tonight : )
Andyrew
What mufflers are those?
jimkelly
Brand:MagnaFlow
Manufacturer's Part Number: 13254
Part Type:Mufflers
Product Line:MagnaFlow XL 3 Chamber Mufflers
Summit Racing Part Number:MPE-13254
jimkelly
my first time with a car in a car show. and thanks to bdstone914 for sending me a nice ebrake handle assy : )

funny that I could not locate my 1975 ebrake handle, it turned out it (seeing what bruce sent me) was the one in my 1972 car, which broke. my 1972 ebrake must have been real crap. guess I will need a second ebrake assy for my 1975, to be subaruized soon, I hope.

I got 6 hours of drive time on the car and things are looking pretty good so far. gonna get to exhaust next week.

ebrake handle in : ) realized I did not have a hook to attach the spring to, need to weld a loop in.
arkitect
Jim,
Looks like you had a variety of company next to you, a rat rod (looks cool) and an older vette (classic). Glad to see you got the bugs out of it and driveable.

Dave
puffinator
send a picture of how the handle is supposed to go together. I don't have a spring in mine.
jimkelly
pictured is my removed broken handle with bruce's spring on the very end.

when you press the button it is clear to feel that there is a spring internal to the mechanism BUT the spring I am referring to is the one that connects the equalizer to the firewall.
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 8 2015, 07:54 AM) *

I have not test driven it yet with new pressures. but at these pressures, when I push car side to side, by hand when standing next to it, I can still get it to move side to side, but less it appears. it is only a $70 tire with a tall sidewall 195x65x15.

her are the comparision videos - I do not see much of a difference : (

tires with 32 psi all around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aptbCK1rj6o

rear tires with 45 psi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7PVeN9Lwsg

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 8 2015, 07:49 AM) *

I hope you have looked at the max pressure on your $70 tire.
Pushing it past the max on your low end tire, you might find yourself wrapped around a pole. At times, being safety minded is better than being cheap. What is your life worth?
Good luck
jimkelly
max is 51 psi. I am hoping that tracking is much better after I get it professionally aligned and then I will take psi down a bit. the tires are DUNLOP, not a cheap brand, just a size that does not warrant a high price or much performance.
jimkelly
nighttime timelapse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEz9C5QDQn4
Andyrew
Quite a long trip! Even a fuel stop in the middle!
jimkelly
i was trying the gopro with its internal battery but the battery ran out of power about 1/2 way (1.5 hrs) into trip. next time i will power it via a usb port and cigarette lighter outlet. seems i can travel about 4 hrs at highway speeds on a full tank.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.