Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jim Kelly's V8 re-conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Feb 3 2012, 08:18 AM) *

Gosh Scotty, wish i lived a little closer, I would be there helping you as much as you needed.

chris you should start your apprentice-ship now, so when you retire from the USMC in a couple years you can already have you OJT done and go to work FT with 914's- its your dream!!!! Scotty could use your help! especially since Bill H. keeps buying these projects- he's going to need the help!

pw
jimkelly
popcorn[1].gif

scotty b
I REALLY didn't feel like welding upside down under the car today so I did some of the on top work. biggrin.gif
scotty b
unsure.gif
jimkelly
HELL YEAH dancinnanner.gif

** note to self - must hit lottery - need inner long kit **
scotty b
Rust repairs are done. Time to paint, undercoat and start the reassembly smile.gif
scotty b
sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
jimkelly
wub.gif
scotty b
slap.gif DING floor is done smile.gif Jim and I both orderd sheet metal form resto design and neither of us thought about the e-brake " tunnel" so I took a piece of his old floorpan and made one up. Not perfect, but not bad for 20 min and a piece of old metal confused24.gif Everything got sanded, wiped down, etch rimed, seam sealed, primed, and got a coat of black. Then the underside and longs got a couple coats of undercoating
jimkelly
that's it METAL MASTER - now you're just showing off cheer.gif
MDG
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 22 2012, 09:53 AM) *

. . . so I took a piece of his old floorpan and made one up. Not perfect, but not bad for 20 min and a piece of old metal confused24.gif

Not bad.

Of course . . . I whipped this up, made the base AND took a pic just while I was reading your post . . .

Click to view attachment
scotty b
QUOTE(MDG @ Feb 22 2012, 07:32 AM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 22 2012, 09:53 AM) *

. . . so I took a piece of his old floorpan and made one up. Not perfect, but not bad for 20 min and a piece of old metal confused24.gif

Not bad.

Of course . . . I whipped this up, made the base AND took a pic just while I was reading your post . . .

Click to view attachment

Very nice Mike, first.gif Could you whip one up for me? It would look very nice in the office. I can expect it by next week confused24.gif
MDG
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 22 2012, 10:33 AM) *

Very nice Mike, first.gif Could you whip one up for me? It would look very nice in the office. I can expect it by next week confused24.gif

You got it. I thought you'd like this one.

Click to view attachment
scotty b
No thanks, I'd feel bad taking Daves gimp mask. The fish will be great beerchug.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Feb 22 2012, 10:11 AM) *

that's it METAL MASTER - now you're just showing off cheer.gif

agree.gif

I stopped by Scotty's shop last week on thursday on my way to D.C. and saw this car, ( and M.Epstein's) and in just a few days i am amazed at how much he just got done on this , WOW.

keep the pictures coming, cant wait to see how much you have done on that thing by the tranny clinic in april!!! wow! keep it going.

Scotty- was great to meet you last week, thanks for the info, and see you in 2 months.

- i will be taking off my rockers so we can see how bad mine is- i've been in denial about it but, after seeing jim's car, i dont think it will be any worse that that! -- poke.gif - thats a lot of sawzall-smiley.gif and welder.gif and smash.gif smash.gif
jimkelly
low rust expectations is "so cute"

it touches me right here - in my RUSTED heart wub.gif

here are some pics from my 1975 914 - i got a feeling PO had someone cover rust with new metal ??

that said - all the best - remember - restoration design WILL be your best friend.

more pics of my LOW RUST 1975 914
http://www.pbase.com/jimkellysells/1975_914
bulitt
I find it amazing you can be looking at a piece of shiny metal and poke it with a screwdriver and it goes right through, or start jacking the car up and the top of the jack goes through... headbang.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Feb 22 2012, 11:41 AM) *

low rust expectations is "so cute"

it touches me right here - in my RUSTED heart wub.gif

here are some pics from my 1975 914 - i got a feeling PO had someone cover rust with new metal ??

that said - all the best - remember - restoration design WILL be your best friend.

more pics of my LOW RUST 1975 914
http://www.pbase.com/jimkellysells/1975_914

maybe- but i think you should say Scotty will be my best friend, and Restoration design and close second poke.gif

actually i know my jack points are as bad if not WORSE than yours- they are pretty bad. i thought our cars were made to flex when going around corners and over bumps to help absorb shock slap.gif but i guess not.
balljoint
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 22 2012, 11:16 AM) *

No thanks, I'd feel bad taking Daves gimp mask. The fish will be great beerchug.gif

My mask is neoprene. Silly person.

Actually, I don't think Michael made any of those metal sculptures. His idea of metal work is choosing the stripper with the most sparkles on.
MDG
QUOTE(balljoint @ Feb 22 2012, 02:38 PM) *

Actually, I don't think Michael made any of those metal sculptures. His idea of metal work is choosing the stripper with the most sparkles on.

WTF.gif

It's called glitter, Dave - not sparkles, glitter.
balljoint
QUOTE(MDG @ Feb 22 2012, 03:34 PM) *

WTF.gif

I stand corrected.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(balljoint @ Feb 22 2012, 02:40 PM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ Feb 22 2012, 03:34 PM) *

WTF.gif

I stand corrected.

Bump for a potential customer for ScottyB.
scotty b
Put Jim's drivetrain back in. One of the issues I ran into was the trans adapters are actualy wider then the stock washers, so the slot needs to be opened up. Just another one of those unexpected time eaters wacko.gif
bulitt
Very Nice! smilie_pokal.gif
jimkelly
finally got around to picking my car up at kahiko customs - need to button up a few things and get her back on the road. many thanks to scott for getting my car to where it is today.

(update jan 2019: i had some problems with scott but because he was so estemmed here, i chaulked it up to me running out of cash. it is now interesting to see others experience with scott. with me, scott got less pleasant and friendly as time went on and cost of metal work wasn't being advised prior to it being performed. that said, my car had far more rust than i expected. in the end he wanted to trade all my new suspension parts for the remainder of my metal work bill, so i paid cash and got my car back. shortly after getting my car back on the road it began leaking oil on engine he worked on as well. the rubber undercoat he used is not a long term product either, just rubs off.)

as for these cars and rust - all i can say is the best thing to do (for car owner and repair shop) is strip the car completely down - and blast the entire car. this is the only way you'll know what metal work your car really needs, in order to set a realistic resto budget.

if you need a tow ( of almost anything ), near or far, i can highly recommend ...
al hensel - out of elkton md
bad_kitty192 AT yahoo DOT com
cell: 410 nine two zero 3083
jimkelly
looking at what i have left to do, i've decided to start with running fuel line from tank to engine, fuel pump, filter, and pressure guage.

looks like i'll need to get a pressure regulator to drop psi to 3.5 or so.

nice to see inside tank looks real good.

i assume its better to install pump close to tank?? on front trunk firewall behind radiator?

jim
mittelmotor
Lookin' good, Jim! I like the pump up front. I've heard the pumps are better at pushing than pulling, so maybe closer to the tank is better. On the other hand, tank is so high that you have the gravity feed thing going.

Nice shot of the inside of the fuel tank. What sort of camera did you use?

--Doug

jimkelly
camera is a canon a620 - macro mode (many times with flash set to off) is neccessary for close up photos

jimkelly
question - what do you guys prefer?

the multi barbed nipple (like above) or the single barbed flat nipple?

looks like the larger tank nipple is 9.5mm

and do NPT threads need any sort of thread sealant??
mittelmotor
My engine's fuel injected with about 60 psi, so that explains multiple barbs. I double-clamped all of the supply-side connections, as I really don't want to pull the tank to make repairs.

I like a little dab of sealant everywhere, just for peace of mind!
jimkelly
some things i am not looking forward to doing with engine in, are...
1- removing T and installing proportioning valve, will probably need to relocate PV.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=104464&hl=
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=105705&hl=

2- running a new brake line thru tunnel. looks like straight shot.

3- running one fuel line thru tunnel for carbed engine. looks like straight shoot too.
note: supply line thru drivers side hole
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=114666&hl=
(gromets) http://www.tangerineracing.com/stainlessFuelLines.htm
** since i will be going with a 9.5mm supply line - i'll order 2 engine shelf gromets for reserve lines and one 9.5mm firewall gromet. when i figure out how i am gonna layout my fuel pump, regulator and fuel filter, i may decide to order more gromets. i'll order a 10 pack of 9.5mm fuel clamps too.

4- installing master cylinder. seems there are several ways to do this.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=102498&hl=
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=135177&hl=

5- bleeding brakes
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=106681&hl=

pray for me.
jimkelly
ok - i have been dicking around with starting to install MC.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=0#entry1788989
i removed reserve lines - and yes - pressing them into MC requires less pressure - not more - and i did put a drop of brake fluid in the gromet to slip things up.

don't forget to put washers under gromets. hope i did it right, seems thye just lay in there.

need to get some 8mm fuel line to replace the short peices of dry rotted braided line that connects the 8mm feed lines from the MC to reservoir.

BTW - the lines are metal at bottom 20% and plastic at top 80% - line fuel lines.

label the lines - FDF (front on reservior, driver side hole, front on mc) and BSB back on reservior, pass side hole, back on mc)
SUNAB914
Looks easier than the way I did it. Have fun with the car.
jimkelly
reference pic of my 1975 to show where things should be.

i think i will run the new brake line, thru the firewall hole for the return fuel line.
and mount the prop valve up high on the passenger side of the firewall, near battery.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Dec 23 2012, 12:39 PM) *

i think i will run the new brake line, thru the firewall hole for the return fuel line.
and mount the prop valve up high on the passenger side of the firewall, near battery.

I would worry about the p-valve trapping air if it is higher than the rest of the braking system. Unless, of course, you have one with a bleeder valve.
jimkelly
good point. i just removed all the hard lines i'll be replacing and will make an effort to keep p valve low. i need to get me a second set of jack stands : )

IPB Image
jimkelly
new planned PV location. i may be able to get PV into its correct location but i'd have to plump it prior to install and i'd have to use more couplings than i want to, and if i have any leaks, they would be hell to access. so i have removed the T i used the replace the PV years ago, and will locat the PV behind passenger, low down.
Mike Bellis
You should bite the bullet and drop the motor, do all the plumbing and check for leaks. It will be much easier to deal with... smile.gif
jimkelly
while i would have liked to do it right - i decided to install PV on passenger side.

and it seems i need to locate one washer for the banjo bolt on the master cylinder.

looks like i'll be doing just about everything at least twice : ((

ran all new brake lines thru tunnel and in engine bay today. look forward to getting brakes buttoned up, so i can move on to fuel lines and fuel pump.

and last pic was taken by my wife, right after she said "don't let that car fall on you." that really touched me : ))
jimkelly
and my new to me, kerosene heater : ))

just bought my first few gallons of kerosene today.

bigkensteele
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Dec 28 2012, 03:07 PM) *

and my new to me, kerosene heater : ))

just bought my first few gallons of kerosene today.

That's a real looker, Jim! blink.gif

Please tell your wife to tell you not to run that in a sealed garage. Not sure how much ventilation you will need, but I am guessing that will require some.
jimkelly
ok - she IS ugly and rusty - but nice and warm : ))

agree.gif i'll be sure to allow some fresh air into my work area

i ordered today from AA, cause it is easier to find parts on their site than pelicans.

the 2 MC banjo metal gaskets, the fuel tank strainer and 2 gaskets, filler neck gasket. its the little things and ship time that cause delays.

i hope that i have no leaks at any of the 10+ brake line connections i made yesterday, we'll see. then i'll be on to installing fuel lines/pump.
speed metal army
Jim have you run that fuel pump yet? Wondering how noisy it is...Looking for a quieter unit than my holley.
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Dec 29 2012, 01:00 PM) *

Jim have you run that fuel pump yet? Wondering how noisy it is...Looking for a quieter unit than my holley.

Auto-zone sells a very quiet pump, I have them on several of my cars. Bob
jimkelly
stopped by advance auto and ace hardware today to get a few bits.

i'm gonna initially go low tech with my fuel system to speed up the process.

ace does have a nice selection of small to medium grommets.

i'm looking at buttoning up/doing the following...

fuel system
brake system
shift linkage
electrical/ignition
loose rear suspension and full alignment
install seats and seat belts
etc
jimkelly
still waiting on my banjo bolt waskers for the brake system, so i decided to get the engman block off plates installed and noticed i need a couple of correct brake line clips. looks like i'll need to replace one of the soft lines too, to the type that take the flat clip - later style.

i want to get the brakes completed and bleed before i move on to fuel lines/pump - so i don;t get ahead of myself smile.gif

i rushed when originally cutting out the holes in the front wheel wells, so tomorrow i will clean them up a bit to more resemble each other blink.gif
jimkelly
cleaned up drivers side wheel well opening - they match pretty closely now.

think i will installed engman fuse panel this morning.

jimkelly
engman fuse panel in.

the hardest part was mounting it back up once wires were all connected to it.

**also note where each relay was and which had the metal reay in it.

i think i will get 2 longer screws and drill some 1/4 inch plates to let the fuse panel rest 1/4 further into car. the wires there hinder easy peasey reinstall.

BTW - the right way would be to heat shrink wrap all the female connections.

see a different installed pic
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=104969&hl=
IPB Image
jimkelly
went to ACE but could not find a suitable 1/4" thick piece of plastic to make a spacer out of - so i went with a grommet inside of a grommet. of course ACE had the longer metric screws needed.

question - the thick yellow wire under the dash - that is not connected on my vcar, what is it for??

and i have a thin yellow wire tapped into a black wire qwith brown stripe?

my car had an alarm system in it when i bought it, that i removed.
jimkelly
pic of some bits i rcvd today from automobile atlanta.
the downside is i do not know which metal gasket is which : (
2 are for the fuel tank nipples and 2 are for brake MC banjo bolt.
i should be able to figure them out.

ordered some stuff today from PMB today.
http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog.html

and ordered some hose clamps from bus depot - yet to arrive.
**update - just got email from bus depot - they are out of stock and have no idea when they will - canceled order - will check napa
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.