Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Barn find with 50k original miles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Matty900
I realized that I had wrapped the wiring harness with the wrong width of tape. So I pulled it and redid it with the correct width.
Matty900
Got in some new grommets for the headlight and fog light wires.
Matty900
Got the mixing boxes installed
Matty900
Put new seals on the long to mixing box hoses and installed them with the re plated hose clamps
Matty900
biggrin.gif
Matty900
biggrin.gif
Matty900
Time to clean up the carbs
Matty900
The tunnel is the last part of the car needing some love.
Matty900
We pulled out the wiring harness to clean out the tunnel and sort out a few wires that had shorted and melted together.
Matty900
One of the cleaning tools used
Matty900
Dremel tool on a wand and lots of wire brushes helped to clean out a lot of the areas
Matty900
As clean as I could get it.
Matty900
Rust conversation applicator
Matty900
Cleaned up shifter linkage from the tunnel
Matty900
Found the other door latch to get cleaned up
Matty900
Cleaned up the tail light housings
Matty900
Added new seals
Matty900
Test fitted some new taillight lenses
Matty900
Found a very small hole through the bottom of the tunnel that needed welding. Easy fix.
Matty900
The carbs cleaned up nicely. There a few thing's that are broken and need to be replaced.
Matty900
Today's fun was cleaning up the wiring harness and figuring out where to start repairing it.
Matty900
mad.gif
Matty900
Everywhere the green tape is at is where a wire was melted to nearby wires.
Matty900
This little bastard was the issue.
Matty900
A previous owner cut the gray wire here and spliced in something. Does anyone have any ideas on This?
I have cut the wire between the fuse panel in the car and the snorkel but everything after that is encased and I am hoping not to have to cut in to it to repair things. I will be running carbs but was hoping some day to put the FI back one day.
Matty900
Test fitting some new parts in the car.
Matty900
Got the Eastwood treatment in the tunnel (you can kind of see the green in the tunnel in the picture above) I treated all the other surfaces inside the car that were not treated. Now waiting for it to dry completely. The high temps this week should help. I have been keeping a fan running to help the drying
Matty900
Got some help from my big brother Mark (Mikey914)
Matty900
Got some new 914 Rubber seals in the trunk
Matty900
Got the new wiring harness insulating sleeves on all of the tabs now
Matty900
Got the new vent filters in and the re plated door striker plates on the car
Matty900
Picked up a new wiring harness in great shape to replace my melted harness. I will be working on it tomorrow but the forecast is calling for a high of 107. Hopefully I won't melt working in it. beer3.gif
Matty900
Ended up pulling the entire harness out
Matty900
headbang.gif
Matty900
While I'm in there
Matty900
I will replace the dash face with new metal and vinyl.
Matty900
Got the old harness out and compared it to the 2 I picked up hoping for a miracle. Unfortunately they did not match up but it did have the needed wires all intact.
Matty900
sawzall-smiley.gif tedious work but I was able to get the donor wiring harness broke down
Matty900
Made some progress today. Went through every wire in the harness pulled the wires that I needed from the donor harness and started putting them in my harness to replace the damaged ones.
Matty900
Engine is getting closer to being done. Now I need to figure out what transmission to use. I have the one from the 73 that I think will be the upgrade. I will be asking for advice on this swap in a separate thread.
Matty900
Engine build is progressing along nicely. Case is now closed.
Matty900
Scott rebuilt the steering rack for me with new bushings and bearings. We will be putting turbo tie rods on next
Matty900
Added front sway bar with new 914Rubber sway bar bushings.
Matty900
Cleaning up and replacing everything possible on the suspension.
Matty900
New struts/shocks from PMB that I bought right after getting the car. Thought I was going to be driving it with just a few tune up items. av-943.gif
Matty900
Had to figure out how to get the spring purch off. (Thank you Cary)
Matty900
Cap and purch cleaned up and on the new shock
Matty900
Rebuild steering rack back in with powder coated parts.
Matty900
I will be upgrading to a side shift transmission. Getting the already powder coated kit from Bruce Stone.
Matty900
Adding new 914Rubber control arm bushings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.