Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Barn find with 50k original miles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Matty900
Cary was busy
Matty900
Harvested the rear sway bar off of my 73 but now I need to track down the bolt for the suspension on the trailing arm that has the cup for the drop link before I can add the sway bar
mb911
Matt,

Looks great . in another thread folks are looking to get rear shocks just like yours. Where did you source them?
Matty900
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 22 2017, 06:12 AM) *

Matt,

Looks great . in another thread folks are looking to get rear shocks just like yours. Where did you source them?

Eric at PMB Performance
Matty900
Need to get the gas tank cleaned up next. The outside was painted and I thought it was treated. Looking inside, I think it needs a little more love.
Matty900
Put some apple cider vinegar and ball bearings in the tank for the night. Worked it around inside pretty good to get every angle.
Matty900
Sealed up so I could work the ball bearings and vinegar all around
Matty900
Had to get a few photos of some of our new parts.
Matty900
biggrin.gif
Matty900
With the suspension in we could tighten the spring up front
Matty900
Starting to look like a car again.
Matty900
Installed new stainless steel lines in the tunnel
Matty900
So far I've only been able to get one through the grommet. I'll continue trying tomorrow
Matty900
Need to figure out which Tabs are used for holding the lines and place in the tunnel.
Matty900
Got the new pedal cluster in that Bruce Stone restored for me and added a plate for hand throttle since I'll be using carbs.
Matty900
Everything but the wiring harness and carpet is now in the rrar trunk
Matty900
Replaced the grounding strap for the transmission.
Matty900
Added new engine Bay liner with water proofing.
Matty900
New Dash face metal and vinyl ready to install tomorrow.
Matty900
Got the headlight surrounds all cleaned up. Love the look of the white on there with the red. aktion035.gif
tygaboy
w00t.gif wub.gif
Awesomeness!
Every time I see these restorations I get a little overwhelmed thinking about all the work ahead of me.

But as I follow along with your build, I can see that chipping away at it will get it done.
(though it's a bit unfair that you get Super In-Law help! Does he make house calls? biggrin.gif )

Thanks for the entertainment and encouragement to soldier on!

Can't wait for the post when you fire it up and do the first drive. Soon?
cary
Looks like you were busy after we left ................
bbrock
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 23 2017, 08:03 AM) *

w00t.gif wub.gif
Awesomeness!
Every time I see these restorations I get a little overwhelmed thinking about all the work ahead of me.

agree.gif

Ditto. Your work is inspiring while also making me want to post-2-1117899824.gif myself a little over the amount of work ahead. Keep the posts coming! smilie_pokal.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Aug 22 2017, 08:12 PM) *

Matt,

Eric at PMB Performance

Looks like those are now nla.. Asked Eric today.
Matty900
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 23 2017, 07:03 AM) *

w00t.gif wub.gif
Awesomeness!

But as I follow along with your build, I can see that chipping away at it will get it done.
(though it's a bit unfair that you get Super In-Law help! Does he make house calls? biggrin.gif )

Thanks for the entertainment and encouragement to soldier on!

Can't wait for the post when you fire it up and do the first drive. Soon?

beerchug.gif Thank you sir. Your project is very inspiring. I have not done much in the fabricating side on this build but I will do an outlaw next.

Super in law is awesome! Very inspiring to work with him.

Hopefully the engine will be done next week.
Matty900
QUOTE(cary @ Aug 23 2017, 07:11 AM) *

Looks like you were busy after we left ................

Got more done last night than tonight. Decided to take the entire tail end of the one of the wiring harnesses that I picked up and use it to replace the damaged section on my old one.
Matty900
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 23 2017, 07:15 AM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 23 2017, 08:03 AM) *

w00t.gif wub.gif
Awesomeness!

agree.gif

Ditto. Your work is inspiring while also making me want to post-2-1117899824.gif myself a little over the amount of work ahead. Keep the posts coming! smilie_pokal.gif

Don't worry about the end and just enjoy the journey. I am loving just working on each detail and really learning the car and our parts.
beerchug.gif
Matty900
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 23 2017, 07:50 AM) *

QUOTE(Matty900 @ Aug 22 2017, 08:12 PM) *

Matt,

Eric at PMB Performance

Looks like those are now nla.. Asked Eric today.

I bought them from him right after I bought the car thinking that I was just going to freshen it up and drive it. We will start to carry things like listen to Future once we get our website done. In the meantime we'll keep making more parts for you. beerchug.gif
Matty900
Continued getting the dash ready today. Put the new vinyl on the glove box door.
Matty900
Wrapped the vinyl around the base of the door like the Factory did and clamped it to let it set up for the night
Matty900
Cleaned up the heater control lever and got it put back together I'm ready to go in
Matty900
Hope to get the hand throttle, heater control, linkage and wiring harness into the tunnel tomorrow.
Matty900
Got the vent hose and the hose from the passenger side long to the mixing box installed. Had to get the mixing boxes and the interior vents screwed back in after painting the interior.
Matty900
On the drivers side I mocked up and alternative hose that we sell too, to try and figure out what one I like better. What do you think?
Matty900
Got the wiring harness finished today
Matty900
Got the harness fished in to the front trunk (again)
Matty900
Got the hand throttle figured out and will be completing the installation tomorrow.
Matty900
Got the shifter out of the 73 to go with the hand throttle and the restored sideshift linkage that I got from Bruce stone.
Jamie
Aside from presenting an epic rebuild, I compliment you for the excellent photography that has brought this work up close and well documented. As a retired photographer, I'm curious about the camera equipment used to make these images? You were often working in some very confined spaces! first.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Aug 23 2017, 09:39 PM) *

On the drivers side I mocked up and alternative hose that we sell too, to try and figure out what one I like better. What do you think?

I ike the Aeroduct. It's a better product but it isn't original in appearance like the first. beerchug.gif
Matty900
QUOTE(Jamie @ Aug 25 2017, 12:19 PM) *

Aside from presenting an epic rebuild, I compliment you for the excellent photography that has brought this work up close and well documented. As a retired photographer, I'm curious about the camera equipment used to make these images? You were often working in some very confined spaces! first.gif

Thank you beerchug.gif
Believe it or not, these are just on my phone. Although I did bring some lighting in because it was hard to see some of the stuff and I'm trying to take pictures of our parts and installation information to eventually make it on our website (914Rubber.con)
Matty900
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 25 2017, 03:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Matty900 @ Aug 23 2017, 09:39 PM) *

I ike the Aeroduct. It's a better product but it isn't original in appearance like the first. beerchug.gif

They are both nice, but I will be going with the Areoduct hose after I get the wiring harness back in.
Matty900
Another long day today. We (Cary) got the the fuel pump inspection door cut out and got the panel blasted, polished and painted. I ran the wires the the harness already so now I just need to work in the ground back to the main grounding post buy the fuse box.
Matty900
Super-in-law was busy cutting up another car, but posed for a photo. I told him we needed one for a t-shirt that we can put him in a cape. "Super-in-law... Jack of all trades"

He is my hero
Matty900
This is the rebuilt steering rack that I neglected to get a picture of earlier
Matty900
Got the new LED lights in and took plenty of pictures for installation instructions.
Matty900
Got the Dremel tool with the wand out and clean the paint off of all of the ground Post terminals
Matty900
Got the wires in to new boots for one side. What a pain in the assembly! I now understand why we started making pre-wired boots. Way easier to cut out the old dad wires and Boots and just add fresh new ones.. but after working so hard to preserve this harness I'll probably do it the hard way on the other side too.
Matty900
Cary got these on today too first.gif
Matty900
Got all the turn signals wired and installed with new boots and seals
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.