Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Barn find with 50k original miles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Matty900
Motor and engine tins made it to the shop. As soon as I pulled in super a law was waiting like a pit crew to try and pull it out of the truck. My very lifted truck . He grabbed my step ladder and jumped into the back to hook the motor to the cherry picker. At this point has daughter and granddaughter came to pick him up and take him home and get him out of the Heat. He didn't really want to go but they took him. "Why do I have to go?" "Because you're 87 years old and it's too hot."
Matty900
Took another shot at the dash top vinyl. This time I'll let the edge set up really good so I can pull against it and stretch as I put the rest of it down. I'll let this drive for a day and then finish it.
Matty900
Got all the rest of the hushmat sound deadening installed. So the passenger side has the original early door. The driver side at some point received a late door and still had the dealer part sticker on it. Let me just say the early door is the easy one to put the sound deadening in. The late door sucked headbang.gif I'm glad that's all done but it took forever. What a P.i.t.a.
cary
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 3 2017, 12:06 PM) *

Got all the rest of the hushmat sound deadening installed. So the passenger side has the original early door. The driver side at some point received a late door and still had the dealer part sticker on it. Let me just say the early door is the easy one to put the sound deadening in. The late door sucked headbang.gif I'm glad that's all done but it took forever. What a P.i.t.a.

Nice work ................. see you tomorrow.
Matty900
QUOTE(cary @ Sep 3 2017, 03:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 3 2017, 12:06 PM) *

Nice work ................. see you tomorrow.

Going to need lots of help from you to get this done pray.gif

Carbs will be here wednes day and he said he can put them on with the engine installed allready.
raynekat
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 3 2017, 06:45 PM) *

Carbs will be here wednes day and he said he can put them on witg the engine installed allready.

Matt, maybe I better get out there and help you too?
The faster we get your car done and outta there....the quicker Cary can get back to working on mine. sunglasses.gif hehehe
cary
Moonlighting starts tomorrow. Starting at 9am Working till 9 or
10 pm. Tuesday & Wednesday, Rothsport till 5pm. MiddleMotors from 6pm till 9 or 10 pm.
Jack will come out at 9am and head home around 4 pm. during the 100 degree stuff.
Matty900
QUOTE(raynekat @ Sep 3 2017, 07:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 3 2017, 06:45 PM) *

Carbs will be here wednes day and he said he can put them on witg the engine installed allready.

Matt, maybe I better get out there and help you too?
The faster we get your car done and outta there....the quicker Cary can get back to working on mine. sunglasses.gif hehehe

Doug,
I welcome the help and will return the favor when needed beerchug.gif
raynekat
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 3 2017, 10:59 PM) *

Doug,
I welcome the help and will return the favor when needed beerchug.gif

Sounds like a great offer.
In reality, I have a big "project" already on my plate.
It's called raising a set of 3 month old twins.
Unfortunately I don't get out much ttese days.
I'll just have to cheer for you from the sidelines.
Good luck.
You got great help with both Jack and Cary.
Matty900
Lots getting done today. Taylor's helping out too
Matty900
Cary busted ass today on the breaks!! aktion035.gif
Matty900
Carbs got rebuilt and are ready to go on the car
Matty900
One bumper down one to go.
Matty900
Got the antenna installed. Finished getting the dash top vinyl down and then put the dash top in. When I went to hook up the speedometer I realized something was missing. I found it all the way at the other end of the tunnel headbang.gif
tygaboy
Ugh.. I hate it when that happens.
I recently made a couple of sizeable fabrication mistakes on my build and had to remind myself that this is fun, I'm enjoying the process, it'll be so cool when it's done...

So... remember all that and know that when everyone is drooling over your fabulous car, this is one of the stories you'll be telling them and laughing about.

Hang tough, Matty! You're almost there! aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif cheer.gif
Matty900
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 5 2017, 06:11 AM) *

Ugh.. I hate it when that happens.
I recently made a couple of sizeable fabrication mistakes on my build and had to remind myself that this is fun, I'm enjoying the process, it'll be so cool when it's done...

So... remember all that and know that when everyone is drooling over your fabulous car, this is one of the stories you'll be telling them and laughing about.

Hang tough, Matty! You're almost there! aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif cheer.gif

Thank you Chris! These 16 hours days in 100 degree days are taking their toll on me. I am doing my best to get this done so I can make it to Okteenerfest. 2500 miles from here. It occurs to me that the trip is so long that I will actually need an oil change, on the trip. WTF.gif Am I nuts? But this sleep deprivation is having funny side effects on me. Think it's stupid song stuck in my head. For some reason the Smokey and the Bandit song every time I wake up in the morning. We got a long way to go and a short time to get there......
tygaboy
Yes, you are nuts. And that's why we love you and can't wait for your next update!
popcorn[1].gif

And yes, I expect live, streaming video of your Octeenerfest road trip.
Matty900
Cleaned up the alternatora little.
Matty900
Got the dash top finalized and ready for the windshield to go in. Scheduled it for tomorrow.
Matty900
Cary got the hard lines of finalized on the brakes so I believe all we have left is to hook it up to the reservoir and add fluid and Bleed It
Matty900
Got the bumpers on
mepstein
It's going to look like a new car. Can't wait to see it.
Cairo94507
Very nice looking. smilie_pokal.gif
Matty900
After about 16 hours on the car yesterday I finally started making too many stupid mistakes and had to call it a night about 2:30 a.m.
This was right after I had went to put the heater leveler in and realized I put the cables in without it. So I pulled the cable out hooked it up to the heater put them back in and then realized I had the heater lever backwards headbang.gif
Matty900
Trunk is done!! beer3.gif
tygaboy
Almost there! Go Matty!

Oh, and as always wub.gif pray.gif smilie_pokal.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 6 2017, 01:27 PM) *

After about 16 hours on the car yesterday I finally started making too many stupid mistakes and had to call it a night about 2:30 a.m.
This was right after I had went to put the heater leveler in and realized I put the cables in without it. So I pulled the cable out hooked it up to the heater put them back in and then realized I had the heater lever backwards headbang.gif

Fast is slow, slow is fast.
Atech
Just finished reading the whole thread, awesome work! beer.gif
Matty900
Stoped at 5:00 am yesterday/this morning. Made lots of progress but I am getting very tummy.
Matty900
So the normal fuel pump on this carbureted engine has too much pressure. The pump that works best for it is not plumbed to work correctly with the access door that we put in for under the tank. So super in law went to town and fabricated me up a bracket. This guy is awesome
Matty900
Lots of help today. Mark came by and helped and getting seals done and Scott was running parts for us. thank you guys! You rock aktion035.gif
Matty900
Engine builder came up today with the carbs and everybody helped to get the engine together and in the car
Matty900
Everything's ready for the tank
Matty900
Fuel tank is in but isn't quite sitting down far enough to where I can get the straps together WTF.gif think I got a fiddle with the position of the blocks to get it down all the way.
Anyway at this point everybody's gone home for the night I came home to actually eat some dinner with Shannon so she can remember who I am. None of this would be possible for me without her support cheer.gif
Now I'm going to head back over and work into the wee hours of the morning again trying to get this thing wrapped up hopefully in the morning we can track down why the lights are not coming on on the dash and or not getting power to important things like the fuel pump. Wish me luck.
Matty900
Sweet I love multiple choice WTF.gif why are there three wires for two plugs on the driver side license plate light?
raynekat
Matt: You should have one brown wire (ground) and one grey with a brown stripe wire at each light.
So your situation is pretty wack.
The power is coming in on the gray wires, so tape off if you have an extra one.
I found some weird things on my NOS 71 wiring harness when I went through it.
I think Hans had a few too many Warsteiner's when he assembled my harness the next day at the Porsche electrical department.
A few of the wires were mis-located in my ignition/steering wheel 14 pin connector and he had forgotten to run a ground wire to the gauges. It was added on on top of the wire wrapping of the main harness.
Looks like anything is possible.

As to your starting issue.
Make sure the black wire in the 14 pin connector at the engine relay panel is getting power when your key is in the run position.
On my car it's pin #8...not sure about yours.
If no power, work your way back to your ignition switch.
There is another 14 pin connector under the dash that the ignition switch/steering column hooks into.
The pin that supplies this black wire should be getting power with the key in the run position.
Obviously the ignition switch itself is getting power as your starter cranks.
Could be a bad ignition switch if the switch isn't delivering power out to the run circuit.
Matty900
New windshield and chrome in!!
Matty900
Figured out why the oil light wouldn't come on bulb was out even though it didn't look like it. Still can't get the fuel pump to come on with the key. Replaced the three bad relays on the board. Jumped power to the pump so we know it works. Now we're looking into the relay board itself even though it looks perfect. Any suggestions?
raynekat
You could have a break in one (or more) of the copper traces on the backside of the board.
Or a problem with one of the wires coming into relay board via the 14 pin connector.
Sounds like you've ruled out the relays.
How do you know if your replacement relays are any good?
Did you pull one from a headlight motor that you know is working?

See attached diagram.
When you turn the key, you should get power at pin 86...and better have power at pin 30 as well.
A functioning relay will send the power from pin 30 out pin 87 to your fuel pump.
Some things you can check.

1) You should always have continuity from pin 87 to your fuel pump.
If not, there is something wrong with either the trace on the backside of the board from pin 87 to the 14 pin connector (possible) or a problem with the wire from the 14 pin connector to the fuel pump (unlikely).
2) You might not be getting power to pin 86.
Either a problem again with a broken trace on the backside of the board from pin 86 to the 14 pin connector or a problem from the 14 pin connector back to your ignition switch, the black wire.

Again with the key in the run position, you better have power at both pin 86 and pin 30 in the fuel relay socket.
If you do, you can narrow it down to either still a bad relay or a problem with the current path to the fuel pump (either a trace on the backside of the relay board or the wiring from the 14 pin connector to the fuel pump).

Click to view attachment
raynekat
To check out the relay board you need a multimeter and the wiring/circuit diagram for the board.
Not sure if the above is good for your board? but it might be.

You go check every pin on both the 14 and 12 pin connectors with their "destinations."
You should have good continuity on everyone.
If you don't, you likely have a broken connection between a trace and a pin on the backside of the board.
This will require removing the potting, re-soldering the break and then re-potting the entire backside when complete.

I had 2 such issues on my 914-6 relay board.
cary
QUOTE(raynekat @ Sep 8 2017, 09:17 PM) *

To check out the relay board you need a multimeter and the wiring/circuit diagram for the board.
Not sure if the above is good for your board? but it might be.

You go check every pin on both the 14 and 12 pin connectors with their "destinations."
You should have good continuity on everyone.
If you don't, you likely have a broken connection between a trace and a pin on the backside of the board.
This will require removing the potting, re-soldering the break and then re-potting the entire backside when complete.

I had 2 such issues on my 914-6 relay board.

We had no switch power to pin 85 on the power supply relay. Which would have feed the 85 pin on the fuel pump relay. mad.gif Plus we need a jumper from ground III. Heading to bed right now. Next time I go to bed the car will be in the trailer ready to head to Atlanta. Matt's out picking up the seats and a new engine wiring harness.
Matty900
Almost 5 a.m. just made it home to bed if you are asleep and then back at it to try and get it wrapped up. Still a lot to go.
Got the wiring harness done and the jumper is installed for grounding the fuel pump
Matty900
Got the seats picked up and they turned out beautiful
Matty900
Got the seat bases and Adjusters all restored with new bushings and fresh paint after sandblasting. One had a broken seat adjuster handle so I drilled that out and put in a new handle that we make
cary
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 9 2017, 04:55 AM) *

Almost 5 a.m. just made it home to bed if you are asleep and then back at it to try and get it wrapped up. Still a lot to go.
Got the wiring harness done and the jumper is installed for grounding the fuel pump

Hmmm. Funny you should mention it. I'm up coffee #1.
Time to start looking for the info I was talking about last night. Color pictures.
I didn't see the brake fluid ? I'll stop and get a quart of DOT 4.

I'll find something to do .............

Shop clean up and set up for the days tasks. 9:45
Reset full tank 10:45
Design and create throttle cable bracket
Install Triad muffler
Fire up engine and do 30 minute break in
Fill brake system with fluid
Bleed brakes

Adjust e brakes and set air gap
Install used half shafts after they get cleaned up a bit.
Install and torque in half shafts. No safety wire. We'll wait for the new ones.

Lower of ground and set front ride height.
Hillbilly front and rear alignment.
To be done on Monday at PMB

Don't plan on going home till we load it in the trailer ..................

Time for coffee #2..............

Oh yeah forgot, dial in shift linkage conversion.
Matty900
Had lots of help "today" meeting yesterday. It's now 3 a.m. I'm just getting to bed again.
Taylor showed up to work on his car and ended up helping out on my car for the day really appreciate the help from him!
Matty900
I'll try to post as much as I can but I keep nodding off. As usual Jack was incredible help today. Here is Fab tap a tool to hold the wheel in place while you're trying to tighten up half shafts.
cary
Long day. As usual didn't quite go as planned. sad.gif
Super In Law was with us the entire day and evening ................ Amazing
I'll let Matt give you the blow by blow.

Cary's short list :

Adjust e- brakes
Torque rear axle castle nuts
Install and adjust shift linkage
Adjust brake pedal push rod
Re-bleed brakes after sitting all night
Get Matt loaded and on his way to Salt Lake City

Too tired to remember the rest

Engine builder is coming back to give the engine and carbs a little tune .............
I don't really dig the carbs too much. But the cam is pretty impressive.

cary
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 10 2017, 03:06 AM) *

I'll try to post as much as I can but I keep nodding off. As usual Jack was incredible help today. Here is Fab tap a tool to hold the wheel in place while you're trying to tighten up half shafts.

On a non pretty car the bar tucks under the suspension mount to let you torque the axles. Last night Jack just held it.
cary
1:15 am and she's loaded in the car ................
Ran into more issues. I'll let Matt elaborate.

Left Matt at the shop to load up what's left for the car. For safety's sake I suggested Matt have his son drive him to Salt Lake City and fly him home. That way Matt can unwind and sleep.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.