Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Matty900
Now to choose what lenses to use
Matty900
European?
Matty900
U.S. spec
Matty900
Got the parts out to put the fog lights back on the car and realized I hadn't taken care of the front of them around the lenses
Matty900
Cleaned it up and realized I needed to repaint it I will be adding different lenses and lens protectors
Matty900
Look what was under the paint
Matty900
Added the lens protector to the fog light lens
Matty900
Wiring harness it is all back in and completely installed in the front trunk
Matty900
Changed out the hoses to the ones of the using since I had them out for getting the wiring back in
defianty
Looking great!
Matty900
QUOTE(defianty @ Aug 27 2017, 01:44 AM) *

Looking great!

Thank you
tygaboy
Re: the choice for turn signal lenses:
First place: European. I REALLY like the way the clear lower section echos the white of the headlight surround.
Runner Up: US spec: It almost disappears, given the color of your car. Very clean.

I've never cared for the "all clear" as, to me, it looks too modern and you lose the visual cue of how the lens carries the fender curve over to the bumper top.

But that's just me.

Matt, you're going to have one of THE cleanest cars out there. You have certainly earned the right to be very proud of your efforts!

Good on you and thanks for all the detailed pics.

(Other than the fact that now I'm going to have to up my game on all the details of my build... biggrin.gif )
tygaboy
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Aug 25 2017, 09:55 PM) *

Super-in-law was busy cutting up another car, but posed for a photo. I told him we needed one for a t-shirt that we can put him in a cape. "Super-in-law... Jack of all trades"

He is my hero

I've been after a Super In-Law t-shirt since I first learned about him!
And I agree, that right there would be a PERFECT pic for the shirt!

Suggestion: 914 Rubber needs to use this as the first in a series of "Caption this photo" contests.

The winning submission comment gets used on the t-shirt and the submitter wins a 914 Rubber gift certificate.

Something like:
"You need a patch panel? Hold on, I'll be right back!"
Matty900

He is my hero
[/quote]

Suggestion: 914 Rubber needs to use this as the first in a series of "Caption this photo" contests.

The winning submission comment gets used on the t-shirt and the submitter wins a 914 Rubber gift certificate.

Something like:
[/quote]
It's funnier when you see what he was doing.
Caption that....and go
mb911
Euro for sure. Clear looks good on green and black cars imho.

Looks great..
Matty900
Some pics from the guy that's building my engine today. Looks like I will need to clean the case up a little bit when I get it back headbang.gif
Matty900
Today's progress on the engine
Matty900
Lights cleaned up nicely
Matty900
Got them mounted and realized I didn't assemble it correct and had to take the first one back off headbang.gif the lens has a notch in it that lines up for the housing ring so that when you put the final clip in it holds the housing face on
Matty900
All lights are now in.
Matty900
Wiring harnesses all complete in the front trunk and I added in the power for the fuel pump
Matty900
Got the new washer lines in place and The Grommet back in to hold them. I still will be doing an electric pump but for now this will have to do
Matty900
Haven't had any time to post any updates since I'm pretty much been working on the car around the clock trying to get ready for Okteenerfest
Got the new dash face metal and vinyl (914Rubber) on the car
Matty900
Swapped out all the lights except for the generator light with LEDs
Matty900
Got a few more things cleaned up and installed back in the front trunk area
Matty900
Tried and failed at installing the dash top vinyl. I didn't stretch it out as I was installing it and tried to do it by myself. Turned out very lumpy and I pulled it all out to start over headbang.gif
I guess it's a good learning experience right?
Matty900
Got all the wiring harness installed and hooked up all the way to the tunnel. Need to get the stainless steel fuel lines finalized before I can put everything else through it
Mikey914
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 1 2017, 03:00 AM) *

Swapped out all the lights except for the generator light with LEDs

Don't be surprised if you see the oil light come on when hot and at idle. The Threashold for voltage is much lower. It's not uncommon to see it flicker a little at idle on motors that are well used.
Matty900
War-pig (Mike) worked up some stainless steel fuel lines but I needed to make some modifications to my fuel line grommet on the tank side
Matty900
Replaced all of the old rubber hoses on the return lines to the charcoal canister
Matty900
Got a Little Help from 914rubber boys yesterday. My brother Mark, shop manager Scott and interior artiste Justice came out for the day to try and help me get some things done.

Previous owner thought dual exhaust would look better. So he removed the stock lower Valance and put a dual tip exhaust on the car. The heat from that destroyed the Chrome on the bottom lip of the bumper. Scott took a sander and a die grinder tipped off in Edge and knock down all of the flaking Chrome. Then primed it with acid etch primer, lots of filler primer, sealer, high temp chrome paint, High reflective mirror chrome paint, and clear. Turned out pretty decent compared to what it was.

Justice helped with the door and reinstalled the steering column. Within realized that the new Dash face metal was in the way and had to take it back off to get the column on first headbang.gif
Matty900
Mark (Mikey914) did the passenger door For me and found some variations to the early door that adjustments needed to be made tou the parts going on the car, that I would have not figured out. aktion035.gif you rock thank you for the help Big Brother
Matty900
All new 914rubber parts on the door. Door stays rebuilt, the door handle didn't need to be rebuilt but I put new rubber seals in. Cleaned up the door switch and put on a new rubber piece. New door card clips and plugs. New triangle window seal, new aluminum track with fuzzy and outer scraper new inner fuzzy ..... dead horse.gif you get the idea. Zinc plated the door mechanism
Matty900
One door down one to go
Matty900
Eric at PMB, rebuilt my brake balancer. Got that on last night at about 2 in the morning with some of the brake lines before I finally called it quits
Matty900
Engine should be done on Saturday. Carb still need to be rebuilt working on transmission swap to the side shift now and mating it it to the engine block
raynekat
OK....I'll bite.
What "adjustments" needed to be made to what parts for your door assembly?
Is there a difference in this between early and late cars?

Also did you test your door contact switch (the one with the 4 small male prongs) to see if it works?
On mine, both door contact switches were shot.
If they don't work, they are a "bear" to find in working condition.
I finally found a couple of old VW bus switches to do the job.
These 4 contact switches are only needed if you want the buzzer to sound if you've left your keys in the ignition switch with the door open.
Otherwise, a simpler and easier to find 2 prong door switch will work....plus some studying of the wiring harness to see which wires aren't needed anymore and can be taped up.

QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 1 2017, 10:25 AM) *

Mark (Mikey914) did the passenger door For me and found some variations to the early door that adjustments needed to be made tou the parts going on the car, that I would have not figured out. aktion035.gif you rock thank you for the help Big Brother
raynekat
Plus....how are you posting these "collage of pics" pictures?
What software package are you using?
They're great and allow for many more pics in a small amount of space.
Matty900
Another very late night. Today we got the wiring harness all back in place.
Matty900
A buddy of mine was able to get me some hushmat at the last minute. So today I went and pick that up head got it installed in the passenger door and the passenger floor pan. It takes a little time but it goes in nice. I'll be interested to see if I can tell the difference between noise and this car and others.
Matty900
QUOTE(raynekat @ Sep 1 2017, 01:50 PM) *

OK....I'll bite.
What "adjustments" needed to be made to what parts for your door assembly?
Is there a difference in this between early and late cars?

Also did you test your door contact switch (the one with the 4 small male prongs) to see if it works?
On mine, both door contact switches were shot.
If they don't work, they are a "bear" to find in working condition.
I finally found a couple of old VW bus switches to do the job.
These 4 contact switches are only needed if you want the buzzer to sound if you've left your keys in the ignition switch with the door open.
Otherwise, a simpler and easier to find 2 prong door switch will work....plus some studying of the wiring harness to see which wires aren't needed anymore and can be taped up.

QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 1 2017, 10:25 AM) *

They done well do it right up on it to explain it more but basically there's an extra tab of metal internally that needs to be shaved off and the front of the window channel has metal protruding into it that is not there in later doors so the triangle window seals that are the superseded part need to be knocked out to accommodate that piece of metal

As far as the door switches go I got them very clean and added a new Rubber seal to them and that's as far as I got. The car was maintained and stored so well I'm hoping they will work just fine.
Matty900
QUOTE(raynekat @ Sep 1 2017, 10:28 PM) *

Plus....how are you posting these "collage of pics" pictures?
What software package are you using?
They're great and allow for many more pics in a small amount of space.

I'm just using an app called Pixlr that edits photos
Matty900
Motor is now almost completely built and mounted to a 73 side shift transmission. Not enough time to clean it up at this point I'll have to come back out and get rebuilt later. They are ready for me to pick it up in the morning which is now only a few hours away so I better get to sleep yellowsleep[1].gif
tygaboy
I ran a marathon back in 1985. Watching the amount of work that's evidenced by all the pics that are flying out of Matty's camera reminds me of the last 4 miles of my race and how important the crowd's cheering was and how it buoyed me when I just wanted to be done, to sit down, to do anything but use my legs.

Come one everyone! Let's help him across the finish!

Matty, we're here for you! You can do it! WOOP, WOOP, GO Matty! cheer.gif cheer.gif
cary
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 27 2017, 06:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Matty900 @ Aug 25 2017, 09:55 PM) *

Super-in-law was busy cutting up another car, but posed for a photo. I told him we needed one for a t-shirt that we can put him in a cape. "Super-in-law... Jack of all trades"

He is my hero

Something like:

I've been meaning to let everyone know Matt and Jack (Super In Law) have been going six days per week for 4 weeks. Jack opens up the shop between 9 and 10, Matt shows up after 10. Jack heads home between 4 and 6. Matt locks up when he heads home.
We're making every attempt to get it finished and on its way to Okteenerfest.
Matty900
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 2 2017, 06:49 AM) *

I ran a marathon back in 1985. Watching the amount of work that's evidenced by all the pics that are flying out of Matty's camera reminds me of the last 4 miles of my race and how important the crowd's cheering was and how it buoyed me when I just wanted to be done, to sit down, to do anything but use my legs.

Come one everyone! Let's help him across the finish!

Matty, we're here for you! You can do it! WOOP, WOOP, GO Matty! cheer.gif cheer.gif

Thank you Chris. Today is the big day I just got the text that my motor will be in Wilsonville at 9:30 ( about 45 minutes away) and I need to pick up the engine tins that the painter has been keeping safe for me all this time in Oregon City (+ 25 minutes) then it's back to Cary's for more fun!
For a guy that's never really even worked on cars, this has been an incredible learning experience and a lot of fun. I cannot express how much I appreciate this support of everyone but especially Cary and Super-in-law first.gif first.gif without him this simply would not have even been a possibility for me! I mean seriously who lets you Bogart their lift for five and a half months and use all their tools and has the patience to teach you without laughing at you while you make stupid mistakes.

I'm clearly sleep deprived at this point but better go get that engine.
ConeDodger
Matt, mine is a late jack (I believe). Yours is a '72? Will that work for you?

Am I late? I just realized you're on a deadline...
Mikey914
I think we need a super-in-law T shirt!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 2 2017, 01:19 PM) *

I think we need a super-in-law T shirt!

YES! evilgrin.gif
Matty900
Delivered to your door? Apparently if you set the engine and transmission on a hollow-core door breaks through it and just sits in there nice and snug and doesn't move for transport
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.